Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Are there new motherboards coming out that support the new Ryzen chips? I'm not sure what to search for and keep running into existing boards that are getting a BIOS update for it. I know that's great for people looking to upgrade, but what happens if someone is building a new system? Can you flash it without an old chip? Or would those come already flashed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Sipher posted:

I've been using this monster spreadsheet to narrow down what I'm looking for:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

Helps filter out stuff with the flashback feature, might help other folks in my shoes trying to put together mb/ram/cooler ahead of time.

This is exactly the kind of resource I was looking for the other day. Now I can look at what is out there for motherboards and figure out if one I'm looking at is newer or older.
Now if only I could find spreadsheets for other components too.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

TheCoach posted:

At least we're slowly getting some episode cgi re-rendered by folks that have obtained the original sources
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgWXhuDG_E

I've been wondering how long until we see people use Blender or something to remake the effects from a show like this or the Star Treks that are not available in HD.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's not true. TNG, DS9, and Voyager were all shot on 35mm film; they were edited on videotape. TNG was fully remastered from the film negatives a few years ago and had a Blu-Ray release, followed by eventual streaming availability.

Unfortunately, between limited demand for Blurays and CBS completely loving up on their sales strategy (they should have yanked the streaming rights and pulled as many of the DVD boxsets as they could prior to the release, but they didn't) they didn't make money on the project; barring something like some rich turbo-nerd cutting CBS a check to pay for it, it's extremely unlikely we'll get remastered DS9 or Voyager.

They'd have a pretty solid case for doing it for CBS All Access (or Paramount+ or whatever) if they wanted to attract people to the services. I'd probably keep my account going if there were regular releases of HD DS9 and HD Voyager when their other Star Trek series are on hiatus.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I think they did all new CGI effects to replace the models that TNG used for special effects anyways. From what I've heard, the people that did CGI on DS9 and Voyager still have a lot of the original 3D models and such, and in higher detail than needed for SDTV. One of the hard parts of doing the HD TNG episodes was apparently digging up all of the film and figuring out what parts of each film matched to each episode. I guess it's not like they just have each episode mastered to where you have a roll of film with every bit of that episode on it. Anyways, they could do a season at a time of DS9 and Voyager in HD and then after it's played on All Access enough, they could then put it on Bluray and not make streaming and Bluray compete. It'd keep me paying for the service each month and then I'd probably buy the Blurays too.

Old old article: http://blog.trekcore.com/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/

Nullsmack fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 27, 2020