Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm pretty seriously looking at switching from Intel to AMD with the Zen3 launch. My last AMD CPU was a Phenom II so I'm out of the loop with regards to AMD land.

It looks like there will be no new chipsets for Zen3, is that right? It seems they would have announced something by now, and Asus just announced B550 boards to coincide with Zen3 launch.

So that said, after researching B550 vs X570, X570 seems like the way to go for Zen3, at least as of now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

DrDork posted:

No new chipsets, correct. The vast majority of B550 and a lot of B450 boards will be getting Zen 3 support, though maybe not until Dec/Jan.

X570 is good if you need its features, but a lot of people are doing just fine with the cheaper B550 boards.

It seems like if you even want to have, say, two M.2 NVMe SSDs the X570 would be better no?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

pixaal posted:

Does x570 still have a mandatory chipst fan? I think that was a major selling point for the B550. Not that the x570 is going to get hot enough for that to spin up unless you are straight up one M.2 to the other M.2 at full speed for hours. I'm on a B450 because I bought at Zen 2 launch and choices were limited. The chipset fan probably isn't an issue for you, but it is for some people and you should know it exists if it is a problem for you.

I gravitated to the MSI Tomahawk and thought the chipset fan was odd until I realized almost every X570 had one. I can't imagine that fan being an issue with regards to sound considering all the other fans in the case, plus the sound dampening of my case specifically.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

sean10mm posted:

X570 really only matters if you need to simultaneously connect a bunch of PCIe cards, M.2 drives and SATA devices simultaneously because it has more PCIe lanes.

For any normal use B550 performs exactly the same, including games and overclocking (such as it is with zen 2).

As for price you can get a solid B550 board for like $130 now.

B550 only gets dumb with the "enthusiast" tier boards that cost more than an X570 Tomahawk WiFi or something.

It seems like you hit a wall with even a minor "enthusiast" build though? Especially someone like me that refuses to give up on aging storage if it's still usable.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

DrDork posted:

In what sense? Yeah, it'll provide lower benchmarks if you're trying to bench two NVMe drives at the same time, but in real world scenarios you're not going to be trying to transfer 4Gbps to multiple drives at the same time.

It's the same how a NVMe vs SATA SSD are wildly different in benchmarks, and then like 1% different in actual use. Or PCIe 3 vs 4 for a GPU. Maybe it'll matter one day, but right now you gotta really engineer a niche case for it to show up.

But again, Z570 boards aren't really demanding much of a premium over B550s right now, so get whatever makes you feel better.

I see. I think my misunderstanding revolves around how PCIe lanes are actually used, or not used.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
After doing the research, I'm totally fine only having the GPU and primary m.2 slot being pcie 4.0 as on b550. I'm curious about the price point on this new Asus Strix board coming out.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

8-bit Miniboss posted:

This honestly should be a baseline feature because when I got my Tomahawk last weekend and was updating the BIOS, I made the mistake of turning off my machine not realizing that the manual doesn't say it would do so on it's own and there was an LED hidden within the VRM heatsink that blinks when it's flashing though I thought the manual meant the flash drive's LED. So after I assembled everything it didn't power on with the debug LED claiming the CPU was at fault. I knew my processor was still good as I pulled it from my x370 board. It was then I realized I most likely had a bad flash and the board was essentially bricked but thanks to the low level control the flash button has, I was able to reflash it and it was working again.

Seriously, it should be baseline. It'd help prevent so many RMAs.

This is why, among some engineering decisions to be sure, Intel is just like no, gently caress you.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Has the x570 Tomahawk been sold at MSRP anywhere since release?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Amazon had backorders about 2 weeks ago or so. That’s where I ordered mine and I got it last Saturday.

Alright, thanks. I'll keep watching all the usual suspects. It's either out of stock or marked up everywhere.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
My order went through for a 5800x on Newegg. (and some tasty new RAM)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Sipher posted:

Of course Newegg is the one goddamn site that my credit card won't autofill in. Can't complete the order, keeps jumping out of cart. QQ

Yeah, I had to scramble to get my card and then didn't realize they auto-added the protection plan.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Only thing available on Amazon seems to be 5600 for some reason.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MaxxBot posted:

My strategy was to go for the 5800X as I figured the higher end parts were hopeless, I got it but I clicked so fast I ordered this dumb protection plan on accident lol.

I did the same thing friend. gently caress it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Dang, my 5800x and RAM from Newegg have already shipped. Waiting on these new Asus boards before I get a mobo.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Senjuro posted:

Went with 5800X for gaming instead of 5600X for the sake of futureproofing.
Was it stupid? It feels stupid. How reasonable is it that the next gen consoles will make 8 cores preferable within the next 3-5 years?

It's not stupid if you can afford it. The heart wants what the heart wants.

Edit - I tend to upgrade only on a 3-4 year cycle other than GPU so I want the extra cores.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
That reminds me, why didn't we get Far Cry codes with Newegg?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
This is almost true but there are some boards coming soon that are marketed for Ryzen 5000. Asus and Asrock, for example.

Regarding BIOS on x570/b550 sorry on phone.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

DrDork posted:

Yeah, but you can't buy them yet, which makes an issue for people who just slammed buy on a 5x00 this morning.

Still, a lot of boards have Flashback these days, so it's less of an issue than in years past.

The fact that you can’t buy these boards yet is pretty hilarious. I assume those that were f5’ing today know what’s up but there’s certainly more than 0 that didn’t.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
It’s a slam dunk for AMD no question in gaming and productivity.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

BurritoJustice posted:

I guess I framed it poorly. I expected AMD to take the overall gaming crown, and they have in some games but on average they are still at or below current top Intel. I'm jealous of everything else but it wouldn't be a significant gaming upgrade like I expected with the jumps in other areas.

No man, coming from a 9900k will not be a big upgrade in gaming.

I don’t even expect a ‘wow moment’ coming from a 7700k but it’s time to upgrade.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I really like the aesthetics and features of the Asus Dark Hero and I'm bad with money - I wish they would release it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Taima posted:

Q Flash + is... not intuitive.

It took me hours of troubleshooting last night to install a 5800x/Aorus x570 master combo because, well, I guess QFlash just didn't like my flash drives. I had to try FOUR before one would work... is that normal, dang. They were all formatted to FAT32 as instructed.

I haven't had an AMD CPU since Phenom II in 2009 - this is why I'm waiting for Zen 3 boards before I finish my rebuild. gently caress all that noise.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Snagged a Sabrent 2TB pcie 4.0 nvme drive yesterday from Amazon for $240. Definitely want a x570 now, come on Asus!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Of course the Dark Hero board I've been waiting on instantly sold out on Newegg. At this point I'm just going to see whats on sale over the next couple of weeks.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I got tired of waiting on the mobos I want actually getting stock so bought a MSI Unify x570 last night. Still won't be here by Cyberpunk launch :(

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I bought a CPU from Walmart. That’s a first. 5800x3d for $339

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
A bit of a long shot here but I'd like to either rent someone's Ryzen 3x00, doesn't matter which, OR have someone flash an x570 for me. I have a TUF x570 that I bought around the time the 5x00 came out and I suspect it shipped with an older bios. I'd be more comfortable shipping my mobo to someone than renting the CPU honestly but it's more work.

Anyway, please PM me and we can talk details, thanks!

Edit - I should also mention that I'm in the US.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 21, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you’re anywhere near a micro center they will probably do it for you for free if you buy some poo poo.

Unfortunately no microcenter near me. I'll probably end up buying the cheapest CPU I can find on Ebay and hoping it works.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do you have any local independent actual computer stores in your area? I know they are dying out but if there's one near you, I bet they could help you for cheap.

I checked with one and they wanted to charge me $120 and it would take 2 weeks. Noped right out.

Khorne posted:

I have a 1600x sitting around. Not sure if it will work with the x570 bios version you have, though.

Thanks, it may or may not work depending on the bios and board but probably too much hassle if it doesn't.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You don't mention it, but I assume you've checked to see if you can flash the BIOS without a CPU installed?

No bios flashback on the Tuf Gaming Wifi unfortunately.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I guess everyone is different - I think VRR and RT is more noticeable than 1440p - 4k. At least on a computer monitor. I recently started gaming on my LG C2 65" and I'd also throw LCD - OLED into the very noticeable camp. (More than the jump from 1440p - 4k)

I've actually been gaming at 1440p on the C2 because I only have a 3070/5800x powering it and I think it looks great.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 5, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Oh yeah, forgot HDR. That's also more noticeable than 4k. I didn't even play with HDR until I got the C2, it's pretty fantastic for games.

My next computer monitor will absolutely be an OLED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
3440x1440 supremacy imo