Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Just built my first Ryzen setup. I went with the MSI B350M "Pro Gaming" board, some Corsair RGB DDR4 (it's all Microcenter had in stock when I got there as far as 3000mhz+ 16gb kits), and the 1600x, with my first ever M2. I had purchased a 1070 a few months ago.

The RAM I have running at 2966, but I think it'll hit 3200 if I play around with it some more. I'm thinking about OC'ing the 1600x... but it seems like, if I do that, then the processor runs at 100% power all the time? Is that functionality baked into the AM4 platform, or am I missing something?

This is a step up from my 2500k at 4.2ghz. I decided to take the plunge even though benchmarks didn't show that much of a speed improvement... but it's definitely faster. My fps in BF1 (and everything else) are way more consistently high now than they used to be.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
What I've found so far is that MSI B350 motherboards don't support p-state overclocking. Bummer.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can only stack like 1/4 as many cores into a system as on the Intel platform (224C vs 64C). That's a pretty big deal in compute-intensive markets (HPC). Rack units matter. Eating more units on the interconnects matters. RAM capacity matters, on different problems than RAM bandwidth. Smaller CCXs have consequences.

HPC is a high-margin, high-profile market, and "we're trying guys" is not really an acceptable answer. Mindshare still exists - you have to have a good product for a prolonged period of time if you want to win the leaderboards.

Yes, Rome is going to be a lot better in this market. But Epyc has barely ramped, despite 4 straight Quarters Of The Epyc Ramp now. Remember back in November when there was the HPC conference and all the partners wanted to know where the loving Epyc chips were, because they had boards waiting and poo poo, but couldn't get chips from AMD? Yeah, that was 8 months ago. Epyc has been "on the market" for a full year now, it's practically as much a vaporware as Vega.

Let's be honest here: this earnings is going to be loving brutal. GPU sales are down 60% according to PowerColor, they sold more GPUs in March than all of Q2. Gigabyte's top-level earnings are down 30%. GPUs are roughly half of the computing group's earnings. Epyc and Ryzen growth is going to be "organic"... meaning 15% growth in 50% of 66% of AMD's revenue. AMD would do well to hold their total revenue to -10% q/q, -20% is possible, holding par would be excellent.

AMD super underplayed their crypto exposure. Really hope they socked that money away into Zen2 or next-gen graphics.
AMD stock is up more than 14% since you made this post.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Anybody have any insight as to why AMD's stock took a 10% poo poo today? Or maybe it's more like 9% right now. Whatever.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

mfny posted:

Got the stuff for the Ryzen (5,3600) upgrade today.

Quick temp question.. 35 DegC at idle and 60 - 65 DegC when at main menu and in a match of COD:Modern Warfare(2019) for about 10 mins. This is with standard Wraith cooler, standard CPU fan profile for motherboard and case side panels off. Is this ok ?
Yes. And put your side panels back on.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Icept posted:

I understand this is unwelcome news if you just went out and bought a Tomahawk B450, but maybe we should wait and see if Zen 3 actually makes meaningful improvements?
No, let's be irrationally angry about it, period. Of course a CPU socket and chipset should be supported for 5+ years. Hasn't Intel been doing that forever? Oh, wait...

It is my very clear recollection that, when the 1600 series was released 3 years ago, AMD said that the socket would be supported for 3 years and people were ECSTATIC about that. So, I went out and bought a 1600x and B350 motherboard as an upgrade from my then 5-year-old 2500k. A few weeks ago, I upgraded to a 3600. Couldn't be happier. In 3 years when it is time to upgrade again, I guarantee that DDR5 or DDR6 will be the standard. It's also likely that PCIe will be replaced by some other technology, or that we will move beyond 16x.

People need to chill.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 10, 2020

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Kerbtree posted:

I’m beginning to think I should replace my i5-2500?
If you're noticing that it's not cutting it anymore, now would be a good time. I replaced mine 3 years ago and it was a huge upgrade. By now, it'll be a HUGE upgrade.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

teagone posted:

*Disclaimer. Now isn't that great because of component stock being demolished. It'll be hard to find stuff either in stock or at decent prices, or both.
Power supplies are the only things I've heard of being somewhat marked up right now. Processor sales all the time, motherboards are available, RAM is relatively cheap... right?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Did some benchmarking and I think I need to upgrade my CPU cooler. I know the 5800X3D is a spicy chip, but I saw it crack 90c which makes me uneasy.

The performance is crazy, though. I benchmarked Cyberpunk 2077 at the Raytracing Ultra preset and my average FPS was 120.69. :nice:
What was the FPS in Cyberpunk on the 3600x? I've got a 3600x and a 3090 RTX, and am thinking about moving to a 5800x3d...

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Taima posted:

Hey yall I am having a weird problem in Wow with my 7800X3D chip where the overall performance seems very low.

This is the cpu pattern in Task Manager, is this right? I run a 7800X3D/4090, and the performance overlay has the cpu and gpu pinned at 20-28% usage.

is Wow just coded like poo poo or do I have a problem?

I also have an ASUS board if that matters at all, it's updated on the firmware, but I keep hearing the ASUS board suck.

e: everything feels horrible in game. I went from capped fps 90% the time at 4K 120 to pushing half that even in dungeons. Also weirdly the performance overlay doesn't show the FPS or 99% fps anymore for some reason and just says N/A. Something is real hosed.
This is a shot in the dark, but is it your power supply? Are you feeding it enough juice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
I went from a 3600 to a 5800x3D and the difference is huge in many games at all resolutions. If you've got the cash, go for it.