Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Someone on the AMD subreddit is reporting ASRock customer servcies saying they will have an ITX board out in June. The same person is reporting Gigabyte say they will have an ITX board released 1st week of July, but "mainly at Fry's electronics". I'm in the UK so that means nothing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Hurry up Asus / Asrock. Can't say I want to consider Biostar :can:

Are Biostar no good then? I'd never heard of them until Ryzen.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Did i miss them or have no benchmarks come out for the new Ryzen chips yet? With the release on thursday, when should we expect them? Thursday?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is there a current "best" itx am4 motherboard? It seems to be a trade off between better VRMs (MSI) Vs better audio and USB (asrock). In day to day use I'd guess the latter would be more noticeable, but will the worse vrm setup become an issue in a small case?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Lube banjo posted:

If you can increase size by a smidge, to Mini-DTX, the https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Impact/ seems to be good according to that buildzoid guy

E: picture add

That does sound very interesting, but i'm guessing it's going to be very pricey, and are there any SFF cases for DTX boards?

e: it looks like my intended case, the Core 500, will happily take DTX boards, so it's just down to how much of a premium it is over the B450-I.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 10, 2019

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Have UK prices been confirmed for Ryzen 2 chips yet?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Stickman posted:

All of the B450 mATX boards are pretty mediocre. The aforementioned Gaming Plus has decentish VRM, but it's still hugely lacking in the extras department - just one M.2 slot, zero(!) gen 2 USB 3.1 slots, the lowest-tier onboard audio, only two RAM slots.

ASRock is actually releasing a mATX x570 board, though, the only one announced so far. We'll have to wait for the technically breakdown, but the VRM components are at least doubled so I'd expect it to be up there with the Gaming Plus, and it has two PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 slots (most X470 boards only have one 3.0 x4 plus one 3.0 x2 or 2.0 x4), a M.2 key E for wifi, proper top-tier audio, four RAM slots, and 8 rear USB ports (including two gen 2).

Are there any decent small matx cases to put it in?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The Cerberus owns.

It does but it's way out of budget sadly.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Stickman posted:

They're all smaller than their ATX counterparts, but if you really want small you should probably just go ITX.

This is my intention but that matx board looks very nice. If there are decent itx boards then I'll go that route. The ASRock board's main selling point seems to be thunderbolt which I have no use for, and the Impact has that M2 riser board which seems a bit over engineered.

Thanks for all those case suggestions, it seems that matx cases are quite large and something like a Thetis with a full ATX board might be smaller.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 30, 2019

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Arent there some super small ATX cases anyway? Like the Define C

Raijintek Thetis and probably others.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Paul MaudDib posted:

The only actual SFF ATX case I know of is the Cerberus X, around 17L iirc. There are very few ATX cases that actually make an attempt to eliminate wasted space as well as some of the SFF mITX or mATX cases out there.

Cerberus X is 19.4l. Thetis is ~25l or so i think, so significantly bigger than the X but still pretty small for ATX.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Puddin posted:

God I wish I could get a 1600 and mb combo for that much here in Aus. I'd be all over that so fast.

Yeah, a deal like that in the UK would be nice too. 1600s are only £25 cheaper than 2600s here.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Do any b450 itx boards have the cpu-less bios update thinger?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

repiv posted:

I'm pretty sure no Ryzen ITX boards have CPU-less updating, not even X470 ones.

Thanks, that could be problematic.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Stickman posted:

That 140 degree VRM, though :eyepop:

They did mention that air cooling instead of AIO would help improve airflow a bit, but it still seems like a “it’s cool that it runs, but just spend the extra $20-30 for an MSi B450-A Pro” kind of temperature.

E: The cheapest MSi X570 boards have VRM on par with the B450 Pro Carbon AC or Asus Prime X470 Pro, but better feature sets. Unless MSi really screwed something up, they’re probably worth the extra $20-40 if you want the extra USB ports, better audio, and dual full-speed PCIe M.2 slots.

Sadly in the UK the X570-A Pro is £50+ more than the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC :/

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Don Dongington posted:

Speaking of coolers, I picked up a cheap 2600 with a tomohawk four fitty when they dropped to $230 AUD over here, and it's hitting pretty high temps at 3.85ghz on the stock cooler. Wondering if a $50 Hyper 212 RGB or black edition will get me to 4.2, or do I need to spend Noctua money to tame this drat thing?

Also the scythe mugen 5 rev. b that gets mentioned 5 times per page ITT is not available here at all, just to save y'all some effort.

I think Cryorig H7 or the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports One are both better than the 212 for approximately the same price. No idea if they are available in upside-down land though.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The Lian Li TU150 reviews have started coming out now and it looks like a very nice case, albeit expensive due to the lack of any fans including in the already high price. It has a USB 3.1 gen 2 type C front port, but which itx boards can make use of it? Is it only X570s, or do any of the B450s have the required hardware?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 25, 2019

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
What's the current recommended ram for a new ryzen 3600 build? Cheap 3200mhz or slower e-die and over clock?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
There seems to be lots of reports on various forums of the ASRock b450i fatality board having huge issues with 3000 series ryzen chips. Has anyone experienced it? I'd rather not fork out the extra for the Asus board but at least it seems to work.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

L33t_Kefka posted:

I ended up recently getting a ASRock B450 Steel legend and a 3600X and its working fine for me.

Aye it seems to be specific to the itx fatality board.

vvvv I have ethernet at home so WiFi and Bluetooth are essentially useless for me.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 30, 2019

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Am I correct in thinking the gigabyte b450i has terrible vrms and vrm cooling? Would a 3600 be too much for them? Otherwise the board seems good with the same audio as the Asus and Asrock boards and it's as cheap as the ASRock.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Cygni posted:

AMD confirmed that the R5 1600 "AF" SKU found in the wild is a 12nm Zen+ die. It is a 2600 with 200mhz lower clocks stock... but you can overclock it exactly the same as a 2600. Same cooler as the 2600 in the box too.

So yeah, at $80 at microcenter (plus $20 board credit), it is a pretty drat great deal, and better than the APUs if you aren't planning on using the graphics. King of the value segment, and pretty much makes every CPU from Intel or AMD under the 3600 obsolete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRO_AUdmfis

That AF chip seems a steal at that price point. There's no sign of it yet at UK vendors, but for £85 or so it'll be hard to say no.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
E: not the GPU thread.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 6, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

eames posted:

FWIW the author of tomshw.de is usually pretty well informed thinks that AMD will only allow $279 cards to be reviewed on launch date and fancier, more expensive factory oc cards will be under NDA until 22nd.

It wouldn't surprise me. Performance will have to be impressive at that price to make it better value than a 1660 super at significantly cheaper or just stumping up the extra cash for a 5700.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
One thing that was missing from AMDs CES show for me was a mention of B550. I've never watched these kind of shows before so is a new chipset something they'd announce at a place like CES, or would they just release it without any fanfare?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Arzachel posted:

They'll release B550 boards alongside desktop Renoir, is my guess.

That should be pretty soon so I hope so.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
In case anyone else saw the reports of an updated Wraith Prism cooler, it turns out it's fake.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Inept posted:

The 1600 AF I got doesn't seem to overclock too badly. I got it to 4ghz all core at 1.25v, Prime 95 stable for 3 hours so far. I'm not going to bother going for more than that since I want my PC to stay quiet and zen+ apparently hits a hard wall at 4.2-4.3 anyway.

Not bad for $85. Looks like Amazon stopped selling it though.

What are you cooling it with? Mine will do 3900 at 1.3v but 4ghz is unstable at anything under 1.4v and I'm wondering if a better cooler will help.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Inept posted:

gammaxx 400

Thanks. Too big for my case sadly, I'm limited to (i think) 125mm coolers in my QB one due to top fans. My best options are probably a Wraith Prism or an Arctic Freezer of some sort. Paying Noctua money for the last 1-200mhz seems pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

B-Mac posted:

I believe the Sharkoon QB One has a max cpu cooler height of 150mm unless you’re talking about a different case.

https://en.sharkoon.com/product/16433

The gammax 400 is still too tall at 155mm but I’m sure there are more options if you are interested in looking.

Aye it's 150mm but I'm assuming that's with no case fans above. If it's 150 including case fans then happy days. I contacted Sharkoon on FB ages ago to ask but never got a reply.