Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Are those wooden fans (edit: casings)? I imagine it's some kind of stupid audiophile equipment :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

Was DEC Alpha supposed to be super badass or something back in the day? I find mention of it in a lot of places but no explanation of why it was so interesting

e: besides it having bizarre super weak memory ordering

Each generation of Alpha was pretty much faster than anything else within their target market when released, but they didn't have that much software support, and DEC marketing was poo poo.

It's really too bad they didn't get to continue with their plans for EV8, Tarantula, and beyond. They looked pretty ridiculous, and it would've been cool to see if they might have changed the landscape a bit. Here's a couple of interesting reads:

http://www.realworldtech.com/ev8-mckinley/
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/024f/3e0ea6a49e536f3d135e73d77323a924498d.pdf

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Edit: Saw this over on r/amd, :ohdear: HOW

Must be the mayonnaise.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

The burrito place by me has a thing where if you get their name tattooed you get a year of free burritos

Are they good?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Isn't Zen4 supposed to be on 5nm anyway?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

sincx posted:

But it's certainly not an automatic recommendation, and AIOs do need to be replaced completely every half-decade or so whereas a heatpipe tower heatsink can last indefinitely with regular fan swaps.

I had a computer with an AIO that worked perfectly for 8-9 years. It went into storage for a year, then I gave the computer to a friend.

He was getting real high temps at first, and I suggested that maybe something was wrong with the fluid or pump in the AIO after sitting so long. He replaced the thermal paste, which had completely dried up and turned to dust, and cleaned everything. Now it's working perfectly. Even the fans are still original.

:shrug:

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Cygni posted:

It all depends on the AIO and its life cycle. Thin plastic tubing with bad plastic fittings, ran hot 24/7 = more permeation and sooner pump death, which was the case with lots of early AIOs. Well designed CLCs with metal fittings mounted correctly (ie tubes on bottom for a front mount and not on the bottom of the case with the tubes up) and with "normal" loads will last a long time.

The one I had was Corsair, and it was definitely run hot (well, CPU temps were always low, but it was a pretty big CPU running at full capacity) almost constantly for several years.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

this 5800x has been up for almost 20m
https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Computers/Electronic_Components/Microprocessors/1411790

who knows if you will ever get it but you can try

Claims to be in stock still 4 hours later.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Computers/Electronic_Components/Microprocessors/1414834

5600 in stock. just like the 5800 they had before there appears to be a lot of stock.

They also have 5800 in stock

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Just snagged a 5950x from Walmart, says it will arrive in late January

Now I guess I need to buy all the rest of the parts 😖

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

a Loving Dog posted:

on the off chance anyone has an MSI Meg Unify x570 mobo (not sure on the any other models but who knows) I updated to the latest beta BIOS and the performance increase on my 5600x is absolutely insane if my sensors are to be believed. I'm talking 10+ degree CPU drops and 20+ fps in warzone overclocked at 4.6

That's great to hear, as I just got a Unify. Still waiting on cpu to arrive before I can use it though.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

triple sulk posted:

For as much hassle as it is, I'm wondering why I don't just return the 5950x and downgrade to the 5800x.

If you're gonna do that, I would buy it instead. Been looking forever for one of those, and my current order just got pushed back another month :gonk:

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I've seen a ton of 5600 and 5800 in stock lately, but 5900/5950 are still impossible to find. Are they just not producing the high end parts? Is it related to binning? Or is there just that much demand?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

My local Microcenter has them in stock - don't suppose you've got one?

I've never seen them in stock at Microcenter here (Denver). :(

edit: I went through every Microcenter location, and 4 each had 1 5950x in stock. One place in Kansas, 2 in Ohio, and one in Houston.

Kilson fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 27, 2021

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

PageMaster posted:

Saw an article and confirmed that 5800x's look like they're back in stock; I bought a 3900xt right before COVID shut everything down and I just now finally got a graphics card delivered so I have to decide if I want to try and sell the 3900xt and put the money towards the 5800x. Is this going to be worth the hassle of trying to sell and risking stock shortages? I see a lot of comparisons online between the 3900 and 5900, but cant find much to see if there's going to be a huge performance gain (mostly just gaming on this).

I've seen 5800s in stock a lot. Probably not that hard to get one. Maybe try to get one first before selling the 3900

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Microcenter in Denver has a bunch of 5900x and 5950x in stock at normal retail prices.