Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Looks like you can preorder B550 boards on Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=b550+motherboard&N=100007625&name=AMD%20Motherboards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I finished a Ryzen 3600 + ASUS ROG B550-F build but there's something funky going on with my system. At system idle, the CPU temp will jump around 10 degrees every few seconds. This causes the system fans to ramp up, but the temp settles back towards it's normal idle temp then spikes again. On task manager my GPU speed keeps fluctuating, hovering around the 3.9 / 4.0 GHz range. Any ideas as to where I can look, or is this something I'll have to plan my fan speeds around?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Klyith posted:

Zen 2 desktop ryzens boost to max clock like an over-excited puppy, even when the system is idle. The boost is for a very short amount of time before realizing that no, there's no real work to do... but since they control the fan based on the hottest core temp that makes them spin up the fan.

There are two ways to manage this with fan speed controls:
1. raise the low-temp fan speeds so that the cooler is working harder even at idle and absorbs the heat spikes better, but it's louder
2. push the ramp to high fan speed to higher temps such that the +10C momentary boosts don't trigger fan ramp, but you lose a hair of performance since it's hotter
3. get a cheap 120mm tower cooler

Thanks for the reply. I'm not using the stock cooler, and it looks like only the chassis fans were spinning up so I'll mess with the fan curves some more.