Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

I installed the latest 2606 update on my X470-I and I just can't even change anything in the BIOS without it and being unable to POST. If I set some defaults and then adjust Ryzen Master to PBO mode (and then re-enable virtualization since I need it), I can up the RAM speeds, but the timings are all in the 24 range at 3400mhz because of the automatic settings. Trying DRAM calculator values or anything in the 14/15 range in there causes the system to fail as well. This is TridentZ B-die RAM that was working fine with the 2700x on stock DOCP settings in the BIOS. We're a month in now and nothing is working correctly.

Maybe this board is just a doomed cause and I should pick up one of the two X570 boards. The Gigabyte one seems better but keeps going out of stock.

I just got an MSI X570 board and it's pretty good, the built in wifi is atrocious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

missed the ITX part.

Apr 7, 2003

I threw together a 3600X system and now it crashes while just sitting around and also Destiny 2 doesn't work. Starting to reconsider.

Apr 7, 2003

I reused a PSU and case, everything else is new.

I let it sit overnight so Dropbox could finish doing dumb poo poo, checked it this morning and it's all locked up.

MSI MPG X570 motherboard, Gigabyte RTX 2070.

Gonna go grab the AMD chipset update now, thanks.

Apr 7, 2003

hosed up.

Apr 7, 2003

It actually runs cooler than my i5 3570K that I upgraded from, oddly enough

Apr 7, 2003

I have a MSI x570 board and the nvme controller and the RTX 2070 USB3 controller keep spitting WHEA-Logger "a corrected hardware error has occurred" message at me every few hours, should I give a poo poo?

Apr 7, 2003

I’m jizzin’ for Ryzen!

Apr 7, 2003

mcbexx posted:

Dumb question time: When my MSI X470 Carbon Pro shows me a colorful MSI logo with the spinning circle of dots from Windows below, is that still a BIOS animation or is it actually loading Windows already? Did MSI switch out the Windows logo in thr loading screen when I installed the board drivers?
This is taking 7-10 seconds, then the logo vanishes and the spinning dots come back for 1-2 seconds and I'm on my desktop. I'm using a PCIe M.2 drive.

I have an MSI X570 board and that's exactly what they do, they replace the Windows load logo with a custom one. Annoyed me at first because I kept wondering why I couldn't get into BIOS with the custom logo up.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen!

Apr 7, 2003

peepsalot posted:

You said that already.

It can't be stopped!!!!

Apr 7, 2003

iospace posted:

I'm going to use a 60Hz refresh monitor and v-sync and 1080p AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME :twisted:

(mostly because I'm lazy)

This is precisely what I"m using on a RTX 2080 / Ryzen 5 3600x

I'm blind and it's three feet across the desk, gently caress it, whatever

Apr 7, 2003

My brother has a freesync 4K 24" monitor and he puts that thing 4 inches in front of his face, gently caress that

My 3600X actually runs cooler than my i5-3570K did, which is pretty nice.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 6, 2019

Apr 7, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

What's the benefit of 4k@24in, pixel density?

E: yeah it's probably why I like my xps13 screen so much

big number

Apr 7, 2003

Counterpoint, always use 1080p, anything else is overkill.

Apr 7, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

1080p is way too jaggy and pixellated, and not clear enough anymore. Once you go 4k you don't go back.

I can't even tell the difference with antialiasing on or off, so I've never used it.

Apr 7, 2003

1080p is fine

Apr 7, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Is all this 1080p hating turbo nerd poo poo? because I have dual 27 inch 1080p monitors about 25 inches in front of me and they are great. Multiple windows in each monitor, tons of room to work and no tiny rear end text or bumping up UI scale in everything.

Every time I try a 4k or 1440 monitor poo poo is way too small or I run into a hosed up scaling issue within minutes trying to install something.

I don't like using dual monitors for my home machine because it's for gaming and I keep a laptop on my left.

I have one 27" 1080p monitor 40" from my face and it's just fine.

Nerds just love to see bigger number, regardless of suitability, see also the number of cell phones with 1080p+ resolutions in a < 10" package.

Apr 7, 2003

Once you get a resolution where you can have photorealistic graphics at a reasonable size, and the framerate matches what you expect from film or video, any more is pointless.

I personally hate high refresh rate TVs at sports bars and poo poo because it looks unnatural.

Apr 7, 2003

pixaal posted:

Chromebooks are on both ARM and x86, unless they dropped the ARM ones.

not that we are getting off x86 purely for compatibility reasons for a very very long time. There's going to be a middle step of a co-processor before a full switch. There is way too much legacy.

What's the benefit of moving off x86 and onto ARM?

All the pundits keep hooting and hollering about moving to ARM. No one ever offers a cogent explanation for why we should.

Apr 7, 2003

Not sure if I can sell a hardware migration with "but the ISA is prettier"

Apr 7, 2003

Apr 7, 2003

eames posted:

I have a feeling this statement won't age well :)

Why?

Apr 7, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

I thought I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that apple is almost definitely doing what you say

Apple uses a threat to move to ARM to keep favorable pricing with Intel. That's it.

Apr 7, 2003

I just upgraded to the new AGESA bios and now I'm getting a shitload of Win10 irql_not_less_or_equal exceptions and games are just randomly crashing. Very cool, thanks AMD

(MSI MRP x570 board but it was fuckin fine until this last bios.)

Apr 7, 2003

I had to roll back my RTX 2070 drivers to before I bought the loving card for them to be usable, and now I'm dealing with this dumb poo poo where I upgrade my BIOS and everything crashes multiple times when I'm not looking.

Starting to miss my old i5 build.

Apr 7, 2003

Downgraded back to the previous (august something) BIOS on my MSI MRP 570 Gamer Edge XXXXXXX board and the crashes stopped. who fuckin' knows. I'm not upgrading anything ever again.

Apr 7, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

You have a reset bios? No xmp no overclock yeah?

XMP but the same individual specifics as before.

Interestingly enough, I had two XMP profiles before the BIOS upgrade, and one after.

No overclock at all.

I'm just going to sit on this BIOS, and these motherboard and GPU drivers. I've had some bad experiences upgrading them.

Apr 7, 2003

well gently caress, lemme go back and look at that, I saw something in the change summary when I downgraded.

Thanks!

Apr 7, 2003

Also I was allowed to install AMD Overdrive despite the fact that it causes chain crashes on Ryzen systems which is a total gently caress up on AMD's part. Pretty impressive.

Apr 7, 2003

How do I know if I've got the good Ryzen 3 scheduling poo poo in Windows 10?

I just looked at my power options and my plan is apparently "Ultimate Performance", which sounds very cool but may not be optimal.

Apr 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Windows Balanced not Ryzen Balanced

What's the difference?

Apr 7, 2003

ufarn posted:

Ryzen Balanced was explicitly recommended by AMD at Zen 2's launch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

This is great, because originally, Ryzen Balanced was explicitly recommended by AMD, but then regular Balanced was explicitly recommended, but then AMD did a 180, and now you're supposed to be on Balanced on Zen 2000 and Ryzen Balanced on Zen 3000.

Unless they did another 180 recently (within the past weeks).

Owning a Ryzen CPU is great for your mental health.

Balanced floats my 3600X over 4.1 GHZ without any noticeable throttling.

so, huh

Apr 7, 2003

Khorne posted:

They should be able to hit the same boost speeds. Ryzen Balanced can do some magic where it goes from 0-100 real fast, while windows balanced does it 10x slower but still really fast. We're talking tiny fractions of a second here.

What bugs me is that it doesn't throttle down below 4ghz.

No reason to be running at 4.1ghz when I'm just doing some gmail poo poo and picking my nose.

Apr 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

So why doesn't it ever power down to save energy? I have to use power saver and it will go down to 1.5ghz.

I'm mostly concerned about overheating, I like to leave mine on all day and I live in a house without central air so the AC is off when I'm at work. Not a huge fan of it turboing up to 4.2ghz for no reason while I'm out and the sun is making GBS threads on the room.

Apr 7, 2003

One of these pieces of software is very confused

Apr 7, 2003

I have a Ryzen 5 3600x + RTX 2070 system that I just basically jammed into a case that used to house a i5 3750K + GTX 970 system. I've replaced everything but the case and power supply. I'm lazy as hell, so someone please post a nice power supply I can use to replace my 8 year old existing one. I'm using all solid state storage.

New motherboard is a x570.

Apr 7, 2003

Cool, thanks!

Apr 7, 2003

Cray still exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Palladium posted:

I got the 850W, love everything but the 5cm of cable capacitors on the ATX connector

I got the 650w, great psu, really had to drag on the CPU connectors to get them to make it though.