Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

OhFunny posted:

Has Adored actually gotten scoops on anything?

Recently he got some leaks regarding Turing. I don't remember it being that big of a deal, but a scoop it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

repiv posted:

Who can forget when Adored leaked the very real $3000 Titan RTX, and RTX 2070 with 7GB of VRAM.

I thought it was something more substantial and accurate, but I guess not.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

All as was prophesied.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

pixaal posted:

Is this good or bad? I don't know enough about chip design. I'm interpreting chiplet to chip as basically daughterboard to motherboard only since it's on the CPU it's not user changeable. I'm assuming I'm wrong though.

IO, memory controllers, voltage regulators, and other uncore stuff don't scale well with process shrinks. It's good in that it will make the product more affordable. The way these things are connected is far faster than how ram and a cpu is connected, though this design will still introduce latency.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

sincx posted:

How are they linking the die to the chiplet? Aren't interposers expensive?

That's probably not a problem for threadripper, but what about for consumer Ryzen? Not to mention the latency issues.

This arrangement will not likely be used for consumer parts: IO stuff is still on the chiplets, just fused off to increase yield and clock potential. So latency on AMDs single die CPUs won't necessarily change unless they up the core count. Intel's ring bus/mesh whatever it's called has its own latency problems, so whatever faults there are here should be taken in that context.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

eames posted:

One chiplet has 8 cores and includes I/O?
I assume this would be a very significant latency improvement for their 6-8 core consumer parts and Threadripper would scale up to 64 cores if it retains the current layout?

In the case of Rome, functionally no. The reason I said it is still likely there but fused off is because there is no way AMD spent $600-$750 million for two Zen2 photomasks just to have one that omits integrated IO. It would also ruin how they bin, with server parts that don't make the cut becoming consumer Zen CPUs. Rome's IO will be handled entirely by the 14nm IO core and connected via infinity fabric to each 7nm chiplet.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

More likely the chiplets are all designed to use the same 14nm IO chip interface, because 7nm is loving bonkers expensive to make, so you use it on the smallest possible part you can. The difference between Epyc and Ryzen will most likely be at the 14nm IO chip level, where Eypc has the fat boy 8 channel 8 chiplet controller, and Ryzen has a much smaller, cheaper, and more power efficient two channel memory controller and 2 chiplet Infinity bus. Masks at 14nm aren't THAT expensive, and the cost savings going from 100 parts per wafer to 250+ parts per wafer can offset the mask costs in a hurry.

Edit: It also means they can aggressively bin every single chiplet for frequency and voltage, since they're 100% standard across the entire product stack.

What you are saying makes a huge amount of sense and is indeed the more likely scenario. Also, point well made about how nuts doing IO at 7nm would be. The only thing I will quibble with you over is the cost of masks: at the advent of the process, the mask for a complex 28nm chip could run as much as $150 million; with multi-patterning at 14nm, that cost is going to scale exponentially. So while I may be overstating it, I still am going to assume that AMD will go out of their way to minimize how many they need.

Let's all hope TSMC's 7nm works as advertised, or next year will suck more than it must.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The fact that that thing exists and is functional is just AMD giving intel the people's elbow from the top rope at this point. The only question is whether they can actually figure out how to make money selling these things. They have a year to rake in as much cash as possible before Intel's 10nm gives them a possible price advantage in 2020.

We're living in backwards bizarro land.

Your faith in Intel's ability to get 10nm together is commendable, and in a way I hope that they do so. That said AMD likely has a two rather than one year window: the rumor is that Intel's current 10nm basically brings nothing over their current 14nm process in terms of performance.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

To me this is as big or a bigger of a deal:

So near 30% IPC improvement on combined int/fp tasks for at least some work loads which is some insane BS if it holds up.

Their is a lot of low hanging fruit to optimize Zen, process shrink or no. The current front end chokes its cores: prefetch is too narrow and better branch prediction combined with a longer skylakish muop cache would enable higher clocks. The wider fp is of course a boon too, but my point here is that zen is really young and isn't maxed, particularly compared to skylake. (and I'm not saying *lake is bad, but it's basically a pentium 3 with a few features from netburst. There isn't much left to optimize aside from process).

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I need more threads, I just don't want to spend on ddr4 and an associated MB with ddr5 around the corner. I did that with haswell/ddr3 and guess what I still use?

Faster ram would be nice anyways especially if core counts keep increasing on consumer, dual channel platforms.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

That has been the MO with the "professional" cards for basically ever. Their presence unlocks software: with a handful of exceptions, it's the the same or almost the same silicon.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I, for one, appricate having a campfire nestled in my PC should I need an extra space heater.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I read somewhere that some version of AM4 will support ddr5 with Zen3, or that there may be two versions of Zen3 for ddr4 and ddr5 seeing as they can move IO off the core die. The latter seems unlikely. What I'm trying to say is that AM4 or a revision thereof is going to be with us for a long time.

I for, one, miss the pentium 3 Sega cartridge.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Seamonster posted:

I meant they (9900k) are actually available for purchase and people do buy them, high pricing and all. Perhaps not the best cross section for the general public but there are people in the GPU thread with them already. Those guys will decidedly NOT be getting an 8c/16t 5.0G AMD part to replace it, that's all.

Consider though all of the people who balk at the price of the 9900k (and RTX, for that matter) but want something new e.g. those still clinging to Sandy-Haswell 4c/8t products. They are many and may be quite tempted by an 8c/16t or perhaps 12c/24t with that sort of clock and that does not happen to be an open campfire under load.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

SwissCM posted:

What I want is a mobile 2c/4t Ryzen with as many Vega cores as possible crammed in alongside it for mobile gaming, something that could fit into a 3DS/GPDWin like formfactor.

I have no sources whatever but I think 4c/4t is the smallest CPU you will see in the Zen2 lineup. Perhaps they will roll out the Athlon or whatever old name for smaller parts. That said, compared to the size of a GPU, 4c/4t 7nm Zen CPUs will be tiny. I also have no idea if they could make Zen or Vega/Navi that efficient.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Wrong thread.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

The Tegra X1 (arm + maxwell) has a TDP of 15w but likely uses less in many cases. As mentioned above, the entire mobile stack from AMD can be configured for 15w, though I have a hard time believing it does not drink deeper from the VRM given how dangerous these laptops are for one's reproductive health. Maybe it is possible, but at the moment a 20nm chip (fabed on a mobile focused process) from 2015 that likely costs way less seems more efficient for a mobile game do-dad than AMD's products that have their roots in all profitable data center designs.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

aluminumonkey posted:

Amazon has the 5900X down to 334.99. This seems to be my stop to replace my Ryzen 2700. Any reason not to get this?

I jumped on this; I'm going to gift my 2700x and this was as good of an excuse as any. Seems like a nice deal for people with mixed workloads that want to give AM5 more time to mature. For games alone, the extra cores don't seem worth the premium, particularly with the 8 core part on sale for $270 or there about.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Reusing your old hardware obviously affects which upgrade offers best bang for buck, but reselling doesn’t affect the rank order of which new system is best bang for buck.

In any case, don’t the majority of people build all new machines these days? It’s not like the Athlon days where you’d want to upgrade your CPU every year because you’d get huge improvements in real world usage. Quite a few people, including myself, are on DDR3 systems so we won’t be reusing anything.

I am using the case and PSU from a Haswell build as well as some of the storage. Like you I had to ditch the MB and RAM, but nearly every other part I have recycled. My AM4 MB has been host to two different Ryzen CPUs, now a 5900x that was on Amazon firesale that should be a nice boost to ride out the first generation AMD DDR5 parts: that AM4 has been so rock solid (knocking on wood) makes me quite reluctant to jump ship. I have been using the same ex-miner 1080 for years, over 3 different CPUs and the same DDR4 for...a long time. Ditto with the cooler, the fans, storage, etc.

Prices have sucked for so long that it is necessary to reuse as many parts as possible for me not to break a budget or even just not to feel ripped off. In the next 6 months or so, I want a new PSU and video card, but there will still be parts in my PC that are nearly a decade old.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

distortion park posted:

The price difference between the 5700x and 5800x3d is bigger than I was expecting - about 270eur vs 440eur. They're both gonna be good value though I think until the new generation mobo and ram prices come down (although maybe the 13600k and the 13400 when released change that?)

Either will be fine for some time, though the 5800x3d is perhaps a better long term bet for games vs. the 5700x. As for the Intel stuff, you can use an older motherboard and DDR4: you don't need the latest and greatest if you want to save money.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Nvidia's performing the best among the big three financially due to high margin AI facing products so I don't think they're missing out by not being in consoles

AMD's margins on each console APU are rumored to be 10-15%. While not the kings ransom Nvidia gets for their AI stuff, given the volume of sales, they are indeed missing out.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Cygni posted:

The 2nd best selling console of all time and still 2nd best selling at the moment is effectively a rebranded off the shelf Nvidia design.

Nvidia is still missing out. AMD is too. Monopoly is the most viable tech business strategy.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

repiv posted:

bonus: it's on a legacy node so they can keep pumping them out without eating into their wafer allocation for high-margin products

Oberon is 7nm. While not exactly legacy, it isn't competing with any of their other high margin products in terms of wafer allocation.

Edit: from AMD's earnings call, it is clear that consoles are the only thing keeping their consumer graphics division relevant (as much as they want to tout the sales of the 7900xtx).

Yudo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 4, 2023

Yudo
May 15, 2003

repiv posted:

we're talking about the switch, which is currently on TSMC 16nm (formerly TSMC 20nm)

Oh, lol, fair enough. My mistake.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I have an idea that will raise yields, lower costs, and navigate around several of the physical limitations on what are more or less stagnant process nodes: chiplets. If only someone would come up with some kind of bus to link them together...

Yudo
May 15, 2003

My local microcenter has a huge stack of asus am5 returns. I was going to sit out the first generation of am5, but this is tempting.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

yummycheese posted:

whats the deal with these? smoked or??? heavily discounted?

They are open box being resold: a return. They work fine, ostensibly, though they may be missing sata cables or whatnot. Some returns are due to annoying poo poo like coil whine (though even newegg will occasionally rma a whining product), or because someone decided they wanted the xtx over the xt etc.

I would never buy a newegg open box just due to how scummy they are. Microcenter and Amazon will accept returns on open box purchases and don't usually gently caress around.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

I haven't really been paying attention to comp hardware for a bit, would the 5800x3D be a "good final update" to my AM4 PC? Its got a Ryzen 5 3600 and a RX 6800 in a B550-Plus right now. It should just be drop-in (after maybe a bios update), right?

You can drop it in, yes. It's a nice upgrade.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

SlapActionJackson posted:

This isn't remotely true these days.

Leaky chips that can clock = consumer desktop. Scalability and reusablity is the raison d'être of AMD's designs, with good reason. Or, at least, that is what I thought.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 10, 2023

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Cygni posted:

5600X3D seems like a very weird product when the 5800X3D is $280.

Like if you want to buy your end cap AM4 cpu, you prolly want the last 2 cores to last you as long as possible. And if you want the best bang/buck upgrade for an old build, a 5600 is $119.

Is there a significant market in between? Maybe China focused? I dunno, seems like a strange late launch.

Perhaps they have stacks of ccxs that don't make the 5800x3D cut. Chasing less affluent markets is an interesting idea. AM4 is cheap, stable, and parts are still very much available.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

bobfather posted:

I run a 5600x with tight timing b-die and -25 offsets on all cores. It’s paired with a 3080 10gb. It’s stable and fast. Someone check me: at 1440 and 2160, I’m likely GPU limited, not CPU limited, right? Said differently, a 5600x3d wouldn’t bring much to the table with my current GPU, right?

If you are playing counterstrike, a faster cpu may yield more FPS, though consider your current frame rate and your monitor's refresh rate. More may be pointless.

For a contemporary aaa game, probably no, it won't do much in terms of framerate. However, games are using more threads and more cycles for AI and such; as stated above, it depends on the game. In my opinion, you should only upgrade to the 5800x3D if the urge hits you. Another AM4 six core doesn't seem worth it.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I currently have a 2600x, 16GBRam, an 8GB RX580, running on a B350 board (lol shut up, I know the B350 sucks).

I live about 45 minutes away from a Microcenter, and I'm thinking I'll pick up that weirdo new 5600x3D and then start looking at video cards to push my complete rebuild as far out as possible. Something along the lines of a 7600 for 4060.

I assume that's sensible and not a complete waste of money, right? I game at 1440p.

The cpu is fine, but I'm sceptical about those video cards. Could you swing a rx6700 or 6700xt? 12gb of vram is alot better than 8gb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

power crystals posted:

Make sure that board supports a 5800X3D (which would also cover the 5600X3D). I believe the 300 series boards didn't get that universally, and you're going to need a bios update if it isn't already up to date.

Good point. I didn't realize updates were inconsistent.