Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Devian666 posted:

A good question. All of the CPUs I'm using for work and home (excluded my laptop) are all getting rather old (the memory in my workstation is DDR3 - I'm assuming this is rubbish by today's standards). An 1800x would be a major upgrade and with the fast floating point could be a leap forward that's faster than what I'm expecting.

Why not a 1700? I am prepared to pay for higher clockspeed and prefer not to overclock. Overclocking on a multithreaded job that could take up to a week to complete is a commercial risk if it's unstable.

Could I make an alternative suggestion for your CFD workload?

http://natex.us/S2600CP2J-Custom/

That, plus 2x E5-2670's, and 128GB of ECC DDR3 on 8 memory channels = 16 cores and 80-120 Gb/sec (edit: typo+realism) of memory bandwidth for ~$750. You can compare it to threadripper, but I don't think it can match the old dual Sandy Xeons in memory bandwidth per dollar. Assuming your current workstation memory is ECC you have spare parts there, and could even pick up a backup motherboard, and still stay under $1k.

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Could be. Was going off https://ark.intel.com/products/66133/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP2J

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
dubba post

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Do you folks think it's fair to say AMD is the primary innovator in chip design, and Intel's the innovator in fab process design? Looking at 21st century CPU improvements, it seems like (correct me if I'm wrong) AMD was first to market for most of the major innovations: x86-64, multi-core, on-die GPU (Intel HD graphics came with Westmere, but AMD bought ATI in '06 and talked at the time of doing integrated graphics), integrating the northbridge, and now MCM to squeeze more performance while chips butt up against Moore's Law.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
~

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 2, 2019

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Most people don't think a lot about Intel hiring settlers for design work, you probably don't, but for some people their consciences and infinitesimal culpability nags and eats at them. Buying AMD, for those people, is a way to achieve what you've already achieved: not having to consider politics when they look at their computer cases. Let it be.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Oh yeah? Didn't know that, thanks. Guess it's VIA and Matrox for the BDSers!!

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
It's like when the powers-that-be go away, everybody's memory of the scandal goes blank.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
I'd cream

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Scarecow posted:

A 4.7ghz TR makes my nipples rock hard god drat i want it

Yeah my dick's getting real hard for it too, ripping multiple threads now, come on put that pump on my hot smooth body

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/263286-sitting-globalfoundries-talk-7nm-euv

Info about Glofo 7nm and the EUV transition

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

A top end Epyc box can have 64 cores, 1 TB of ram, 2 100GbE cards, and 24 4x NVMe drives in it.

keep going

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

fault tolerate and virtualized

mmm uuuhnn

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Terrible

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
What's the difference, between a fat cubular sttructure of tiny Delta fans, and just one big fan

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
It's not that windows are bad per se, just that when you look into a PC case, it's an incredibly boring view. Like compare how much time you look in the case window compared to the monitor. It's not like it's giving you anything, except maybe smoke or burst piping, you could use to diagnose a problem with it. But to look into it for more than 10 minutes means admitting to yourself that this hobby might be boring, and being on a computer is a boring use of a life. But then you look back at the monitor.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Lambert posted:

This, but about 3D printing.

Fortunately not as boring as moving the 3D printing nozzle by hand!

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Khorne posted:

That's a 28c pulling 800 watts. I had to look it up.

Such a dumb waste of energy, what does anybody actually need calculated that quickly.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
If anyone ran OpenFOAM benchmarks on this new chip, that would test + stress the memory system in an important & common type of calculation. I can't afford to upgrade old sandy, but I could help walk an adopter thru a simulation. There isn't much to it, OpenFOAM has cases which are ready-to-calculate in their tutorial for laminar and turbulent flow regime cases. You can especially test core performance scaling, which levels out at around 8-10 real cores today.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

taiyoko posted:

So given that I am in the process of upgrading my """"gaming"""" (so many airquotes because of how lovely my current rig is) pc from an AMD Phenom 2 quad-core with 6 GB of DDR2 ram, would the microcenter bundle of a Ryzen 5 2600 and Gigabyte B450 Aourus M motherboard be worth getting, or hold off and wait for the new Ryzen chips to release and get a previous-gen on sale?

The new Zen2 looks like the Sandy Bridge to Zen's Core 2 Duo.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

orcane posted:

No one is "irrationally angry" about it and you're missing the point.

Some people are disappointed or annoyed, because they took AMD's claim for socket compatibility "through 2020" in good faith

it's 2020... if their new CPU is released in the fall, how many months are people getting upset for?

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Hey, it's just as fast as when you bought it!

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Seems like it'd be a big F-U to Mr. Linus Torvalds, who wrote Linux.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

Microsoft named it the XBox Series X because they know kids will say XBSX as XBsex

that's pronounced zibbix prove me wrong

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

apropos of nothing but analogue TV has always been kind of a cool concept to me, since in contrast to modern systems where we are encoding information that then gets translated to outputs, analogue TV is basically "alright let's just broadcast the waveforms used to control the beam and the receiver can amplify them and push them into the hardware". You aren't broadcasting information, you're broadcasting a control scheme to get an electron gun to draw the information for you. It's a pretty elegant engineering solution to make the receiver as simple and cheap as possible.

that said it's obviously become a nightmare with stuff like HDMI pre-2.0 where we're hacking digital encoding into an analogue control scheme. packetized digital schemes like HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort are the way to go.

And the Philo Farnsworth fella who did a lot of work towards the development of television, also developed a home fusion reactor.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

mdxi posted:

I've ordered a B550 mobo (Gigabyte DS3H) and 32G of DDR4-3600 memory, so whenever I can get my hands on a 5900X, I'll be ready to do an upgrade and some testing. I'll (briefly) have Zen, Zen+, Zen 2 and Zen 3 CPUs all in-house. For fun, I'll probably run the same set of benchmarks across all of them.

I'm not gonna go as hard on testing as I did with the 3900X. For instance, I'm not going to do 24 hour runs of each subproject at World Community Grid. I was really driven to quantify what Zen+ vs Zen2 performance was going to be like, in a lot of contexts. This time around I'm far more comfortable assuming it'll be the 15-20% uplift AMD is claiming, and runing some quicker tests to validate that. Plus I just want the upgraded machine to get back to work. I'm thinking:

- Geekbench 5.1.1
- Stockfish chess engine (edit: fantastic for testing ALU parallelism)
- OpenFOAM CFD suite (edit: pure FPU workload; will isolate improvements there)

Though I'm open to requests (so long as it's something that can run headless on Linux).

Yes please!

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Man it's tempting to pick something up. This chip is to DDR4 what sandy bridge-to-haswell was to DDR3. Part of the longevity of that system is explained by how easy it's been to find DDR3 ram. When memory fabs, intel, AMD all switch over to DDR5, Zen2 and 3 will forever be the quickest chips to pair with all the world's DDR4. Maybe in five years I'll grab one of your old systems... this ivy bridge is just as fast as it was on the day I got it

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
What abouts the chip that has the fewest transistors? Can you get 1, or even 0 transistor chips?

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Combinatorial logic chips are around.

https://electronicsclub.info/cmos.htm

Whoa, that's cool, I love combinatorics. Triangular numbers show up in natural phenomena all the time.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
You know it can also play all the hundreds of thousands of fun games released in the last 30 years too. You can saturate your life with games on these.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Man these are tempting... I gotta wait for DDR5 tho. I'm doing big calculations on the old x220 Sandy laptop but the thing just runs so hot and it stutters in CAD. "It's just as fast as when I bought it" is still true tho, for a work laptop... But my calculations are memory-bandwidth limited... I will absolutely upgrade in late 2022. <2 years from InfFabric2.0 and DDR5's free boost.

Seems like a choice of getting the best-ever DDR4 platform the fabs will ever make, or the worst DDR5.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
To my mind, I'm fine buying $$$ DDR5 modules, if I can wear them out over the 2020s. Memory is typically the first thing to die, them and HDDs. All we know is that Zen 3 will be the fastest architecture using DDR4, but Zen 4 will be one of the slowest to use DDR5. So better odds of wearing the memory out, getting my money's worth, out of DDR5 modules than 4, since I can upgrade CPUs (thankfully AMD's got the ball, during the memory transition).

It's both a good time to upgrade, and a good time to wait! I really like the idea of free ECC and crazy mem bandwidth for fluid dynamics simulations, kinematic simulations.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

DrDork posted:

Are you the type to overvolt the gently caress out of your RAM? Because absent that, I don't think I've ever heard of RAM dying in normal use in under like 5 years, and even then the only deaths I've seen have been at enterprise level installs (outside DOA / infant-mortality deaths, anyhow).

I don't overclock, just intend to use it till it breaks. I think I've replaced 4 DDR3 sticks from age, between 2 computers. But the workstation had pre-owned 8x8GB -- Murphy's Law.

I also skipped desktop DDR4/USB3. Don't want to be caught holding the bag (of old computer parts). I'm really just waiting for my old stuff to break. I'm holding the bag now on 320GB of 10x32 DDR3-1866, the fastest, fattest DDR3 memory ever made, that I found on SA-Mart, years ago, and justified for $300 (any homelabbers want it? If you need big capacity for a calculation, you're in used DDR3 world. Just as fast as when they were made, and unused by me...)

I think that answers it, actually, for me. For big memory capacity calculations, I'll accumulate DDR4. I most typically run out of RAM in a big calculation. Just not going to make the mistake I did with DDR3, getting really specific server parts, and letting construction of a big old RAM workstation become a whole thing.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Fujitsu also designs laptops where RAM, SSD, wifi, battery are all user-serviceable. Mine also has a slot which normally holds a 2nd battery, but can also serve as 2nd HDD caddy, or bluray player. Handsome Japanese design, all around, I'm not sure why they aren't more widely used. Low prices on ebay, for those in the know.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Man, that Van Gogh APU's what's gonna lighten my wallet. An APU that fixes the iGPU memory bandwidth issue with DDR5 and a 256-bit bus, in a potential 40w TDP NUC. That thing's gonna play PC games from the 80s till the mid-2010s and cost mid-range $$. Mmm mmm.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Any rumors on Van Gogh? Jonesin' for a 20W NUC with Windows, ODROID H2+ with Linux, and a Mac Mini M2 all hanging off the back of the same monitor

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Me neither... I'm running Ubuntu Linux!

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Why not pick a name that's gender-neutral, like "Patrick/Patricia", or the most common name in the world, Mohammed?

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Mohammed Threadfuckler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
So next gen we're looking at a 10%+ uplift switching to DDR5, and another 10% or so from this, without even touching the cores?