Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

All browsers have mitigated js meltdown attacks fyi.

Yeah, but if you're disabling meltdown mitigations you're probably running Brave Browser and followed some idiot's guide on Reddit to make the internet faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't know how the gently caress somethingawful doesn't support properly downsizing gifv embeds yet

SA has one volunteer that does some backend stuff in his spare time. I don't think lowtax has any employees anymore.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Licarn posted:

They wouldn't be doing the keynote if they didn't have something

Right?

RX595

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nah, viewing the CPU as the only component in the system is stupid. A 2080 build with a 1440p screen is probably like a $2000 build right? So the incremental cost of the 9900K over the 2700X is like 10%, right? For 20% performance improvement in CPU-limited game benchmarks?

Yeah but it's also stupid to argue for a processor for a worst case scenario basis. Average use case would be a lot more accurate, and most things are not going to be CPU bound.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yup. Its almost never worth it to buy a new system just to switch to the latest RAM when its first released.

Give it 1 or 2 years at least after 1st release for DDR5 to mature, drop in price, and for faster enough to matter DIMMs to come out and then it'll be worth it.

Here is what 2x 8GB DDR4 RAM prices and speeds were like near launch back in 2014 as a reminder of what to expect DDR5 launch prices to be like:

I think the only potential gotcha is if the DRAM foundries decide to do some price fixing again but that sort of thing can happen at any time.

Maybe one day I can get 16GB of DDR4 for less than I paid for 16GB of DDR3 7 years ago

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's worth delidding. I couldn't get mine over 4.4 without it, but a little dab of gallium and it's been going for 6 years solid at 4.6 with nary a complaint.

You're never going to notice a 4.5% clockspeed improvement, especially on a 6 year old chip

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Anandtech review is up https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

5% is not marginal improvement relative to the cost, but also it's worth noting that TPU's testing methodology there is kinda flawed. The timings they're using don't represent realistic average timings that people buying for example 3200mhz ram are going to run

That and their 100% baseline is some dogshit 2400mhz ram. The difference between 3000-16 and 3600 is about 2%. Expensive ram really doesn't seem worth it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I like it's not built of garbage

idk it looks like someone repurposed some go-kart wreckage

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Rusty posted:

I played some Nier at 3440x1440 with a 1080ti and was struggling with 40-50 fps and now I'm hitting and staying at 140 so it seems I had really gimped my performance with the 2600x.

I think Nier was a real bad port so this is possible but I don't think that was the 2600x's fault.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

They reused a mobile process so clocks are low but pow is high. With enough scale they could do a semi custom high clock high perf process.

If pretty much everything now aside from a few desktop users (consoles, laptops, servers) cares more about power consumption than raw performance, is there really a reason for them to?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

edit: jfc, 41 minutes to say "gently caress that I'm out"?

Hey it's ya boy ad revenue here to tell you that Youtube suuuuuuucks

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

How were Geocities PC parts reviews better done than this? Youtube has so many long useless videos like this, who the gently caress watches this

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cygni posted:

I said please. 1440 screens are cheap. Be excellent to yourself.

Keeping the same screen is free and doesn't contribute to more e-waste in a poor hovel in China.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

pixaal posted:

any rep I've spoken to pretty much refuses to budge on price but will discount the Intel until it's a better value saying they have rebates with Intel but AMD isn't offering any. I might just have lovely reps.

Isn't that what Intel did 15 years ago when AMD was last competitive? Not that I'm surprised they're doing it again, but they lost a lawsuit and had to give AMD a bunch of money.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The 1600 AF I got doesn't seem to overclock too badly. I got it to 4ghz all core at 1.25v, Prime 95 stable for 3 hours so far. I'm not going to bother going for more than that since I want my PC to stay quiet and zen+ apparently hits a hard wall at 4.2-4.3 anyway.

Not bad for $85. Looks like Amazon stopped selling it though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lungboy posted:

What are you cooling it with? Mine will do 3900 at 1.3v but 4ghz is unstable at anything under 1.4v and I'm wondering if a better cooler will help.

gammaxx 400

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Truga posted:

my current pc has been acting up. 3950x is 789 euros right now, which is just within my budget. more threads is extremely ideal for me, because i have a wireless VR solution that encodes video on the cpu, so i'm pretty much sold on 3950x. i currently have a haswell i7 and the display goes all blocky as soon as a game sits on even a single thread.

but are there any catches with a 3950x? it just seems like too good to be true coming from this lovely haswell lmao

No catch other than needing a good motherboard and cooler. Are you sure you need it though? Realtime software encoding is something that multithreads well, but you'll be going from 4 cores to 16. If it was stuttering sometimes before, an 8/12 core might be fine.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

isnt stuff in financial briefings supposed to be factual? like they can get sued for lying to investors or something right?

"Obviously what isn’t known is which laptop Bergman meant, how large the battery was, and what test was used to derive the 18 hours."

They can be factual while still using extremely favorable settings and a laptop with a gigantic battery.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Prime 95 Small FFT with AVX on

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah, but once you move to 1440p in those tests for both frametimes and FPS, the difference is basically margin of error. So mentioning 1440p and a 2070/5700xt means that the CPU matters there very little, and you'd get a lot more out of upgrading to a 2080/ti. There are edge cases sure, but for a large majority of people, it doesn't matter.

edit: nevermind, they mention UHD, which I'm guessing they mean 4k. So I don't actually know what the difference is at 1440p. Probably somewhere in between.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

New EPYC 7F52: Looks like some customer had a frequency-sensitive workload that wasn't being served by IPC and more cores, so they whipped up a batch of Rome chips on meth.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15715/amds-new-epyc-7f52-reviewed-the-f-is-for-frequency

It also has a ton of cache.

It's interesting to me that the 16 core Epyc is actually $100 cheaper than the 3950x. I know it's lower frequency and needs a lot of other expensive hardware to go along with it, but still.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

Ryzen 3 1600 is getting the AF treatment, will be going for $60. I'm guessing it's not quite the good deal that the Ryzen 5 is?

If you mean the 1200, then yeah, 4 cores and no SMT isn't compelling for a modern processor. It doesn't have an iGPU either, so I'm not sure why you'd buy it today.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Robot posted:

I have a Fractal Define Mini C which is the "silent" version of your case and runs 3-5 degrees hotter due to less airflow. I have 2x Fractal GP12 x2 fans intake and 1 outtake. Ambient temps are a little high - 25-27C. Just manually turned off PBO in BIOS but it didn't seem to help.

Just to troubleshoot you could remove the side from your case. If temps drop a lot, it's a case issue. If they only drop a bit, it's a heatsink/mounting issue. Or maybe it's getting way too much voltage for some reason.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, they're going to need to go back on that, fast, because otherwise nobody is going to trust AMD's "upgrade paths" in future.
Makes no sense to kill 300 or 400 series off - X370 and X470 are identical, after all

AMD only did that because they had nothing else going for them. They can go by Intel's playbook now that they have the upper hand.

I will say at least Intel made a new socket each time to sell the illusion that it was somehow impossible to support more than 2 generations. AMD's microcode size excuse is transparently bullshit.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Dramicus posted:

The chart says 3000 series processors don't work on x370, b350 and a320, when they clearly do. This is just AMD's requirement to board partners for B550. The board partners will add support to their older models just like they did last time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...s/#2a5a0ebd34e2

This happened before guys.

What hasn't happened before afaik is the lack of support for older AMD processors in newer chipsets (bios memory limitations aside) on AM4. It seems like AMD is trying to draw a hard line this time.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

That's good to hear. I'm still skeptical since AMD put the kibosh on PCIEv4 on their board partners to keep feature segmentation.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

It's not about the motherboards, it's about the fundamental stupidity of buying a cheap AMD CPU and hoping to drop in an upgrade that finally matches Intel in a year or two. Drop in replacements have never been good value and anyone who has ever expected them to be was and is stupid.

My argument boils down to "Spending more total money on multiple AMD CPUs to maybe match Intel performance is objectively idiotic" and it's indisputably true.

e - if you seriously want to disagree with me on this, show me the numbers how someone could buy any Zen CPU, then upgrade to a newer Zen CPU, and have the same or better performance as Intel for the same or better price. You can't, because it's not loving reality.

Having the option to upgrade to a 8-12 core zen 3 down the road if you have a 1600/2600 is nice if games start using more cores with the release of the new consoles. It's the same as buying a mid range video card now and another in 2-3 years instead of a beefy video card and using it for 5 years. I agree it's more wasteful of resources though. It also only holds up if 8-12 core CPUs are an affordable drop in eventually. If they're still pegged at 300+, it doesn't make sense.

edit: yeah for me it's not a better value than Intel argument, it's a better value down the road instead of buying a 3900 from the get-go.

Inept fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 10, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Even if they are, thanks to inflation, the PS3 launch price would now be ~$760. It was a stupid expensive console when it came out.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

e: nevermind

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah I'm trying to work out what the issue is with my reasoning too tbh...

If you need more storage and want to move to m.2, that's fine. It originally sounded like you had a solution that was working completely fine but you wanted to buy new poo poo for aesthetics, which ok I guess but it is kind of weird to care so much about cables that you get rid of working stuff for no other reason.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

My first computer was me, as I computed on my abacus. Let me tell you my abacus tales

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there a compelling reason to upgrade from a 3700 based on current info?
I can easily afford it but I don’t know if it’s a wise decision.

no.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

lol $300 bucks for 6 cores and $450 for 8 cores

Intel make something better you shits

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

I like how high end buyers get a smaller percentage price increase lol, 5950X is a better value in cores/$ than the 5800X.

Yeah the 5800x is really terrible value and basically no one should buy it. For gaming, 5600x is probably fine; for productivity, you may as well move up to the 12 or 16 core parts.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

that is the reality of chiplet manufacturing though. A 5900X is two 5600X dies and can have two broken cores each. A 5800X has to be perfect.

The 5950x has to have two perfect chiplets and it's still cheaper per core. AMD is just trying to upsell people.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DrDork posted:

the 10700k should be a good bit faster than the 5600X in basically all cases, though it uses more power.

Gaming is a pretty big use case where they will probably be even.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Call it the hexbox because it's cursed to only run old xbone games

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

you probably should have just built intel to begin with unless you're very thermally constrained or have a compelling need for pcie4.

Given that the high end GPUs are pushing 300 or more watts now, not wanting your total system output to go above 500 to make your room into a sauna seems like something most people would care about at least somewhat. Maybe my office is just small, but my computer only puts out about 250 watts when playing games and it gets noticeably more warm after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I thought the 10900 consumption was more like 200-250 watts.