Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

edit:

At this point I don't trust Ryzen's memory controller far enough to do the kind of server builds I was interested in. Ryzen+ or bust.

It is a shame ECC support right now seems to be "it'll work, maybe".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Doesn't ZFS have sort of built in checks for a bit flip error? Especially if you have it scrubbed on a regular scheduled that would more than likely be more often than you get flips in the first place?

It has checks against bad data on disk. The idea is that if you have bad ram that it will evaluate good data as being bad (Because it fails a checksum) and will then overwrite it, possibly with wrong data (because wrong data is evaluated as being good because of your dodgy ram). Not sure how correct it is but the FreeNas developers seems pretty adamant about not using non ECC ram with data you care about.
ECC is something you have to pay a lot for on the intel side to get, a real chance for AMD to differentiate itself from the "safe" intel choice that you know is going to work with everything.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

So the GPU passthrough issues do affect people using discreet graphics or no?

On ESXi 6 about a year ago it was still spotty. Some games run near native speed, other games crash or have weird performance issues, warthunder would run fine until ANY water was visible and then it was 10fps time.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Klyith posted:

on a related note, if I throw my stack of old stock heatsinks into the recycling, will they be able to do anything with them?

If you have enough of them you can bring them to a metal recycler and get money for them. They're paying €0,85 per kg of aluminium and €4,30 per kg of copper locally. Probably not worth the gas money for aluminium but if you had a dozen of those old 700g solid copper Zalmans it could be interesting. Personally i'd just throw them in the metal recycling bin we have at the recycling center.