Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I've switched to Cooler Master Master Gel Maker Nano (What a dumb loving name) over Kryonaut these days. It's within 1-2 C in every bench and seems to degrade wayyyyy less over time, and I hate re-pasting. Plus it takes pretty well to the lentil-and-push spreading method even at room temp.

I'm waiting for a EATX option I like, then jumping in; I want big passive cooling on that chipset, worried the pissant fan kind will go out. Curious if Aorus X570 Xtreme owners can report on whether they have cooling pointed at it or not and how hot it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I wonder what percentage of the DIY PC building space has spent the past year only learning about AMD features because of the resulting outcries.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Jarrod's Tech has their usual CPU comparison charts up for the i9 10th vs the 3950x

Now we wait and see what cache improvements do for frame times in gaming, I guess. More of the same elsewhere.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

My best case scenario with Zen 3 would be an under 5% difference at 1440p in max frame rate & frame times. If I understand what's actually driving this difference correctly I think we' ll need a next gen interconnect/IF and socket.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Oh I know it's dumb I've locked myself into hardware decisions based around 240hz TN panel response times, but I still have.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I wouldn't call the 3600 cooler bad for what it is but the wraith prism that comes with the 3600x does have some basic, but effective heat piping which really does make all the difference under load. If I recall correctly Cooler Master makes it, similar to their Gemini platform of air coolers. (Every man, woman and child on earth should own a Noctua U12S)

More recently on the APU side of things I really wonder if Intel is rushing Iris Pro to see if they can take some mid range performance wins before the end of the AM4 era, Ryan Shrout's side of the house seems to be playing it up. Can't shake the feeling that no matter what AMD says about what's proven or not, they'd package Navi in a lot more instances if they could if it was easier to do. I hope pinout information on the new consoles comes out, I'm wondering if AMD's running into an electrical hurdle, or maybe if for the last round of AM4 products they can leverage lithography improvements and make it happen anyway.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah, I'm in Dallas and even on the worst day I've never experienced that.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Noctua reccomends the "thin x" application method for AM4 CPUs. The differences between application methods mean very little compared to amount, but there's some research that indicates smoother application methods (line, pea, thin x) that generate less air bubbles might hold their compound a bit longer.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Klyith posted:

The air bubble idea is incredibly specious.

People that do 'research' about air bubbles are spreading compound between glass plates, and that just isn't a good representation of the surfaces of CPU & heatsink. Float glass is super flat, so when you have an air bubble it can't get out because the pressure is equal in all directions. There's no escape path with less resistance for the bubble to overcome the viscosity of something like thermal paste.

I tried to be non-committal in relaying that because I've never seen two comprehensive tests that reached identical conclusions regarding either issue of application or air and it's the most opinionated topic in hardware. The air bubble thought probably only primarily exists because of under-applications but if there's a method that shows less in any test it's kind of "eh why not" to me.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The current rule of PC building is:

Case, board, CPU, ram, power supply, storage.

Four of these six things will be in stock this week. The other two aren't. I would expect AMD to be pushing a stock refresh around the time of the XT launch but I'd set you some Newegg alerts if what you have isn't up and on sale from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The Gamer's Nexus "Ryzen isn't smoother" video sure does have the AMD subreddit in a tizzy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kK6CBJdmug

Main reason I'm waiting for Zen3 is I'm betting the new CCX design shrinks or surpasses that gap, and 120+ 1440p gaming with the lowest input lag possible is about my only reason to upgrade.