Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That was a few days ago, and it's shareholders trying to sue AMD for inflated the price even though it's gone up during this the entire time. It didn't seem to do anything to the stock price when this was announced I doubt anything will come of it either. There's security reasons to not disclose early, they also will need to put a number on the losses which is going to be extremely hard when the price has gone up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I don't think there will be enough unrest to topple all this inertia until people actually start dying over the issue, goodness forbid.

Alternatively, who wants to join me in starting a buttcoin based on the level of danger loosed on the public by developer neglect and/or collusion

I'd rather see folding at home turned into some kind of buttcoin like currency so the mining would actually do something and people could trade them on the value that they did something good and there is a limited amount of research.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Palladium posted:

Why are these fraudsters are always too smart and too dumb at the same time

They have a problem (gambling debt) find a way out of it (skimming money) say they aren't going to keep doing it so they don't need an exit plan. The money is too good so they keep doing it since no one even said boo. Years pass, they forget they are doing anything wrong and they get caught. In their mind they got away with it long ago and this is normal. That's when it all goes wrong.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

I believe you, but it'd be nice if there were consequences to lying with the truth.

I think you're looking for misrepresenting the truth.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Cygni posted:

TDP ratings are in a weird spot with Turboing becoming the norm. You either strictly enforce TDP like Intel which leads to your 4.3ghz 8700 running at 3.2ghz, or you ignore it given the thermal headroom, which then what is the point of even publishing a TDP? Also feels misleading to say something has a specific TDP (which implies a certain electricity use/cost and heat level), and then just blast by that without user input. I dunno. Both answers seem dumb.

I guess the third answer is to just be honest, but you know...

How hard is it to go Base TDP 145W Boost TDP up to 160W? Cap the boost TDP strictly based on what the box says, let the user override it if they want more. If the chip is garbage well you said up to, that works for ISPs having a 1Gbit line and selling it to 20 people as a gigabit connection.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

fishmech posted:

We just passed the 14th quarter of continuous decline in all tablet sales. Apple's highest quarter for iPad sales, their first quarter of fiscal 2014, saw just over 26 million iPads sold. Their first quarter of fiscal 2018 saw 13.17 million sold.

The idea of catching up to a market in ongoing collapse is a bit funny.

I feel with tablets we're getting less repeat buyer as people are happy with what they have. It goes online it runs the newest apps still. A tablet is likely closer to a game console in life cycle than an x86 computer.

We also have large phones which are eating into tablets. I opted to get a Galaxy S9+ for the larger screen to avoid replacing my Nexus 10 which having some kind of internal issue regulating power because it crashes if it gets under 80% charge (flashing display garbled sound that is god awful and is damaging the speakers). I've assumed some kind of voltage issue.

With current tech we've kind of hit a point that the average person doesn't see any advantage to upgrading anything. Devs are shying away from releasing stuff targeting only the newest hardware so we're inn a giant game of chicken and VR might be what pulls us out of it as there is a new factor there where people will make a program in VR because they can and want to, not just for money.

Do I think tablets are going to take over desktops? not really, do I think ARM could give x64 a run for its money? Sure on a long enough timeline. I wouldn't expect to see them standard in business until 2040 or so though, and that would require both AMD and Intel falling on their faces.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's Semiaccurate, and therefore sits firmly in the same category of "salt now, so you're not salty later" as WCCFT, but: according to this, that thing that I was worried about, where people just upgrade to the next thing that Intel comes out with out of inertia may not be happening.

https://semiaccurate.com/2018/05/22/intel-customers-arent-buying-new-offerings/

A point highly belabored by current Epyc marketing, it seems:

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-this-is-epyc-campaign-and-amd-epyc-updates/

AMD is leaving money on the table is they don't sell prints of this. I just did a server refresh last year (Intel) but I'd still hang one in the server room and leave it for the next guy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Are these pre-releases or something? Maybe AMD just wants to see what Intel is doing and plans to crack them open.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

It would be hilarious if they punched up the clocks and their run-of-the-mill processors are spanking the "anniversary" edition in a year's time.

Isn't that how all technology works? Pay 10x the price for a 10% gain that will be under preforming the baseline in a year or two.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What mouse cursor corruption is that? I've been using a AMD card in my CAD machine for.... four years now, and I don't think I've ever encountered that?

I get the messed up cursor occasionally, it's happened in both 7 and 10 over several motherboards and graphics cards (all happen to have been AMD because I didn't like how Nvid handled 3+ monitors). It only happens when there are multiple monitors and only happens on the primary monitor. The mouse cursor ends up looking like a stack of lines and is really odd looking.

I assume it's the same issue, I get it every few months it's rare and a reboot seems to fix it. It also seems to happen more often when it's hot in the room. I'll try and get an image of it next time it happens.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Video drivers are horrible hack jobs and I'm constantly amazed that anything runs. There's a very good reason both AMD and Nvid have people that swear one has superior drivers. In my opinion they have trade offs. If they don't bother you pick the one that does best in benchmarks, but benchmarks are not everything in GPUs due to feature sets and the fact that you will sometimes have AMD's driver be really good in one game, but then 3 months later Nvid has optimized it and now they are better. The opposite happens too, and sometimes they preform well from the get go, and other times someone loses performance.

But this is the CPU thread, It's far easier to look at Intel vs AMD and go multi thread and single threaded for comparing 2 chips. You can't go FPS and RPG or any kind of broad category like that (maybe if you could group them based on source, unreal and unity or something, but almost everyone is going to play a mix of all 3 engines, and very possibly have no idea what engine each game uses).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

TheFluff posted:

The Asrock X470 Master SLI's VRM is, uh, pretty wonky to say the least:
It doesn't have working overtemp protection on the VRM and when the temp sensors reaches 125° C it rolls over to zero :catstare:

So it also cannot tell if the temp is negative, which is also a dangerous place to be. That seems really dumb. 125C is a really weird spot, I'd kind of expect it at 127/128 and using a signed byte.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's buggy af. Neither of the 2 non alpha bios versions even report mem voltage to the system, the system is meant to reboot into safe mode if unstable settings fail post (doesn't work), even vcore offset doesn't work.

The alpha has its own problems, setting memory voltage doesn't work :haw:

Wtf are they even doing.

Taking bribe money from Intel :tinfoil:

This is a joke, but I'm sure on AMD Reddit this would be taken as fact without question

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It's concerning me tbh. AMD seems to be executing well - but if they don't get good bios support, it's going to piss people off.

I see other people saying similar on social media, with points like "replaced with an 8700k and everything works". It's not AMD at fault there tbh. I don't know how Asus is or how other premium asrock boards are, just that they really don't seem to care about the new board I just bought.

Complete speculation:

What might be happening is Intel giving a minimum level of quality that must be reached, and AMD is letting vendors do whatever they want, Intel might also subsidize support on boards that didn't sell well so they keep getting BIOS support (as long as they met their minimum requirements) AMD being in a bad position previously hasn't provided these guidelines yet.

It also could be that Intel hasn't changed much in a decade and AMD is doing something new for once causing issues.

Finally it's possible motherboard manufactures just don't have the resources allocated because they expected another bulldozer. I'm not sure how long it takes for a board to go from concept to stores but I'd imagine at least a year.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Palladium posted:

:lol: HDCP, lets make legal media consumption a lovely experience and then whine about why no one wants it

Piracy has dropped not because MPAA / RIAA, it's because things like Spotify, Netflix, and Steam. I mean what anti-piracy organization is there for games? I guess most games are also online now making it extremely difficult to pirate them but still piracy is way down to what it was in the early 2000s when DRM was at it's shittiest.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Does anyone even look at the package a CPU comes in when deciding on what CPU to get? I feel everything would be a pre-built system or someone building one themselves. If you are building, you are probably buying online, or are buying a specific chip. You don't just go to a store and pick out a CPU.

I could see buying a replacement part from a shelf and not knowing any model at the store, but you are likely locked into a socket, and at that point it doesn't matter what the box looks like.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I googled that, and ended up on a Quora page discussing what happens when you snort plutonium.
Thread delivered.

What does happen if you insufflate Pu?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

That seems to have caused some investor panic.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

This was kind of known though.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13122/amd-rome-epyc-cpus-to-be-fabbed-by-tsmc

AMD “Rome” EPYC CPUs to Be Fabbed By TSMC - from the end of July.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Khorne posted:

I'd argue it wasn't, TSMC's process was supposed to be ready earlier. AMD fabbed Vega and Rome Epycs there. GloFo was still, publicly at least, supposed to be used for other projects.

It's probably not a big deal for AMD, because they also publicly said they had planned to use both fabs and go with whoever was ready.

It's still a pretty big deal and huge surprise given the time and money invested into a 7nm process by GloFo. Process improvements cost billions of dollars.

For GloFo oh yeah, I can't imagine it's actually a good idea to dump 7nm unless AMD has it locked up so tight they can't use it with anyone else.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ema Nymton posted:

Almost exactly 10 years ago I bought around $300 worth of AMD stock after hearing someone here on Serious Hardware / Software Crap talk about how low it had become and advising that people buy it. AMD's stock later on got even worse. But now, my Etrade account says I have $1000+ in AMD stock. :eek:

But after seeing my $5 stock fall to $2 only a couple years ago and thinking it had all been a mistake, I don't want to go back to that position again. Should I sell, or stay? It's great having stocks that everyone's excited over but I have no idea what I'm doing :confuoot:

If you are uncomfortable realize your gains, or sell off half. Never leave your money in an investment that makes you nervous. I personally think AMD could double again if Zen2 is solid (look at their full history, they have been at $40+ a few times). The market does not understand tech so the price is going to react very differently than you think it will. At Zen2's release it might go up after benchmarks but if stock is low and the profits aren't crazy the price could tank (and go back up next quarter when they had supplies and the earning report shows massive gains).

full disclosure: I own stock in AMD, I've also sold it off several times. My current plan is to watch it and sell if I get uncomfortable but right now I'm comfy holding it, but that does not mean that's right for you. Do not stress over your portfolio, if it causes you stress sell.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

This didnt work for Vega and the zen+ release but cool hot take

They'll probably go down before zen2 and go above current again sometime after. If your don't want to catch the knife hold.

Or could all go bad. It could also keep going up. Tech stock is already tricky never mind when your have a company running underdog in two categories CPU and GPU.

I'm ignoring GPU, I don't think zen1 will hold market interest long enough for Zen2 profits to show up.

This is why I said do what got are comfortable with. I'm optimistic on AMDs future, but the market doesn't understand tech so that doesn't really matter.

edit: Honestly this thread seems to catch onto news several hours or days before the market, so if you keep an eye on this thread you'll probably have a good idea when to bail. I think most of this thread is optimistic about Zen2 and it's AMD's game to lose with pricing, unless it's a complete failure or Intel comes out with a surprise.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 8, 2018

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Christobevii3 posted:

I am unable to get a Dell Precision T7920 warrantied at work with a 12Core Xenon. They're trying to give ma a dual 20 core replacement at 2.0Ghz base clocks to satisfy due to no availability of parts for the last month.

Are they throwing in additional Windows Server licences to cover the added cores 8 cores? I don't know what the clock on your 12 core is, but I assume it's higher than 2ghz, which is also likely a no-go.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Comedy option that's all-too real in the clown shoes timeline: contract to GloFo.

They did say they wanted to focus on 14 and 12nm :v:

I honestly thought that is exactly what had happened. GloFo dropping 7nm would make so much sense if that was true.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah, Intel has a shortage of 14nm chips right now because they overbooked their 14nm fab. By now they were expecting to have moved their CPUs over to 10nm so they planned to move a lot of their other products (LTE modems and chipsets primarily) to 14nm but since 10nm is still broken they're stuck trying to build both CPUs and all those other chips with the same 14nm capacity they previously dedicated to CPUs alone.

They can't just move that stuff back to older tech? Well print more of the older stuff. I'd think Intel would want to prioritize CPUs. Did Intel destroy their older fabs or something?

AMD is really lucking out that Intel is falling on their face just as AMD has a viable product.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

One would imagine that two weeks before a launch, most of the production is on the new chips, not the one that is going to be replaced. If the channel is empty, the channel is empty.

(of course whatever they've stockpiled won't be enough, it never is)

You also need to factor in that vendors will want to keep these things in stock for warranty replacements. It's not acceptable to say "I'm going to replace your 2.4Ghz 12 core with a 2.5Ghz 16 core" You just made me need more Windows licenses! Great yes it's a better product but I now owe other companies more money. It's even less acceptable to replace a 2.4Ghz 12 core with a 2.1Ghz 12 core.

(I have no idea if any of these are valid CPU configurations).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ultimately it's whenever the thing is stable. You do not want to release something that is going to blue screen even 0.1% of the times you boot it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Wooper posted:

AMD CPU and Platfrom: Pedantly discussing Intel

Don't remove platfrom :colbert:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"We posted a profit!" "SELL SELL SELL" "....but why though!?"

Investors wanted larger profits. They heard all the hype about Zen crushing Intel and wanted Intel level profits. They don't understand how the chip market works.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It's going to take years for AMD to reach the market value at the best case. Remember, AMD was under $3 a few years ago, and under $10 this year. It was valued at over $30, that much growth requires massive innovation, which AMD hit with Zen. The problem is, that innovation was just catching up to the only other player in the market that was a decade ahead of them and they didn't really pass Intel.

Their real value is probably closer to $15 than the current $20 even accounting for expected growth.

Really what you are seeing is competing stock ideologies that AMD looked good in and some it no longer does. One is going to be earnings per share and AMD's value went way up since they bought, after the posting they saw that AMD was no longer a good earnings:share so they are selling off to buy something else. With the reduced price right now there could be panic sellers, or some other formula might now see AMD as a good buy at the $4 discount and the price goes up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't think they'd actually do the IO chip+ chiplets. I thought for sure it was fantasy.

Threadripper 3 is going to be pants-on-head bananas.

Is this good or bad? I don't know enough about chip design. I'm interpreting chiplet to chip as basically daughterboard to motherboard only since it's on the CPU it's not user changeable. I'm assuming I'm wrong though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I’m just using the free version of CAM for system temps, I don’t know if they already account for the offset but that’s good to know. I was thinking that a 2700x would finally be the breakthrough that let me set Volumetric Clouds in Odyssey to Ultra but lol nope, still like a 20fps drop in open areas for no reason. drat your impossible future tech Ubisoft! :argh:

Settings like this are normally intended to "future proof" a game so it still looks good in 5-10 years. It was a really popular 10 years ago. People still remember Crysis for being a system killer.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Lmao at anyone giving that amateur hour fabrication any credence whatsoever. It's bullshit and you all know it.

Sometimes it's nice to daydream about winning the lottery.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

12c/24t at 5Ghz boost? Isn't this from the leak that someone admitted they were just loving with their friend? CES is next week and we'll probably have a realistic idea of what to expect then.

drat it would be nice though, I'd probably pay up to $400 for that, and $200 is my normal CPU budget. Going to push the entire computer over the 1K mark probably but would be so worth it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

wargames posted:

Depending on your workload yes, but in VIDYJAGAMES you want the faster clock.

Even outside of that 24 to 32 threads probably isn't going to make up for the 300Mhz difference outside of things that scale extremely well with core count or extreme multi-tasking. It's a 33% gain on cores vs a 7% increase in clock speed so there's a lot of room but so many programs still have a main thread that does over 50% of the work and that's what is going to limit you, most desktop software isn't designed for high core count either since they assume only 4 cores and threads will be reasonably available since the i5 doesn't do Hyper-threading.

PS4 is at 8 threads, and so is the i7, even with the R7 you get 300% the core count from this. This is much like buying the AMD x64 and expecting that to future proof you. I replaced my AMDx64 before a Windows OS came out that even had a 64 bit option, and it took years for actual software to support it. To this day a 32bit processor will run almost everything since they still make 32 bit builds of anything that doesn't need more than 4GB of RAM.

General purpose: Ghz, you probably know if you use a piece of software that scales really well with core count, and even if you do the actual difference will probably be fairly small so unless this is only going to run that I'd still grab the R7. These leaks are a bit unlikely though, but I do remember the massive increases of the early 2000s so I wouldn't say it's impossible.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 2, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Worrying about these types of exploits as a standard home user is silly. This is the type of stuff you worry about on a workstation or server.

The amount of effort to do this, there's easier ways to steal $5,000 from your bank account. It's likely the easiest way to steal corporate secrets or gain access to the millions on their account which you can slowly skim without being noticed.

These are not trivial exploits, anyone undertaking them is going to do the mental math and realize phishing just works better and is cheaper.

For anything to even be obtainable you'd need to have that info still in RAM someplace, so unless you just did your banking or something else what are they going to gain? Your WoW password? That you played 10,000 hours of Skyrim and that you named a character Lowtax?

It's not like they gain admin they can just read sensitive info from RAM, and actually thinking about it it might even just be L1-L3 cache which limits it even more.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 3, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sneeze Party posted:

Anybody have any insight as to why AMD's stock took a 10% poo poo today? Or maybe it's more like 9% right now. Whatever.

The market overall took a poo poo, investors aren't reading tech news and see AMD as speculative. With CES around the corner if you think AMD is going to go up it's probably a good time to buy some or buy more.

It's basically down to politics and uncertainty due to Government shutdown. It's not a classic pick, it's something people are going to drop because their portfolio took a massive dump the last few weeks. People will instead stick to safer things like food and oil. People are less likely to drop a tech stock like Intel MS of Facebook because they have been doing good for decades and have a solid track record.

I personally think AMD is on to something and Intel is scared and has nothing but that's all my personal feelings based on Zen+ and my gut. Do your research before you invest but the current drop in AMD is not related to AMD failing at anything, at least not that I can find.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Other assumptions might be cashing out on short-term gains ahead of CES.

What short term gains? It's at the lowest price it's been in about 5 months barely ahead of the 6 month mark. It was at $30+ for almost half that time. It is an odd sell time to realize a loss though considering the year just started but if you only bought AMD because you saw it go from $15 to $30 and it's back at $15 and you bough at $30, you are probably fed up with it.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 3, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Otakufag posted:

I can't wait to be disappointed again by AMD.

This is a refresh and die shrink and Intel has set the bar so low for gains between generations I'm not sure it's possible for AMD to disappoint. All they have to do is have 10% gains over Zen+ and that should be easy. So the only way for this to be true is for them to give a release date of late 2019 or 2020.

Unless you have completely unrealistic expectations and think they are hitting 5Ghz or going to take the crown for Intel. Both are possible, but if that is your expectation going in everything must disappoint you.

They'd have to gently caress up on a Bulldozer level, and Bulldozer was a design choice that didn't end up working and they needed to put it on market because it was all they had. Zen is a proven design at this point.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

e: Never mind this was confusing and dumb speculation about a derail and right before AMD has a keynote.

Hoping for some specs today, will be happy with just a release target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It went up after they posted earnings. Look at the after market graph.