Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Zero VGS posted:

I was planning to use the 65w chip with something small like the Cryorig C7 CU but now I'm having second thoughts... https://smile.amazon.com/CRYORIG-C7-Cu-Copper-Heatsink/dp/B07BKYJDGM
Judging by what this dude did to his 5900x, you'll probably be just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0t-m8HVAdk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I don't think MSI or Gigabyte even make B550 boards without flashback. You've got some options.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cygni posted:

I got 5950x with an MSI B550 Gaming Carbon motherboard in the bundle from the Newegg shuffle. Think I am probably going to flip the board on ebay, even though it doesn't look bad on the VRM/audio side. Realtek 2.5g lan, meh back IO, no post code, and the fact that its MSI is the only things that really stand out. Am I being irrational?

E: outside of the general irrationality of a 5950X in general!

Maybe a little irrational.

That's the same board I just bought to go with a 5800x since it had the best mix of features for my use case (and also it was actually in stock, which was not the case for some of my alternative choices).

Everyone has kinda meh rear I/O aside from Gigabyte, and I've heard that the Realtek 2.5g lan chip is actually a little better than the comparable Intel offering currently.

iirc Buildzoid's only real knock against it was that it's kind of expensive compared to most other B550 offerings.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

track day bro! posted:

The one I ordered does have it, just don't like the idea of having to update it even before I know the systems working correctly.

I'd be very surprised if anyone was shipping boards without Zen 3 support at this point.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SpermaticCord posted:

The box for the MSI Tomahawk x570 I recently received came with a "ready for Ryzen 5000" sticker on it, glad I didn't have to update BIOS. The serial number also contains the manufacturing date, mine was only a few weeks old.

Yeah I can't imagine stock is sitting around terribly long without being sold, so manufacturers would have to be actively customer-hostile at this point to not ship with at least basic support.

My recent MSI B550 board didn't have a sticker, but it did have a BIOS from October that worked with my 5800X.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

wargames posted:

they don't its the I/O dies that are 12nm, chiplets are all tsmc.

Chipset != chiplet

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

650-850w PSU availability is fine. Maybe not the cheapest it's ever been, but you can buy good models without too much trouble.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Paul MaudDib posted:

plz redo those benchmarks with 5700G a month from now

They had a slide in their presentation but the game choice was still geared toward relatively undemanding titles:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

bobfather posted:

You likely will have to update the BIOS, but lots of b550 boards come with processorless USB BIOS flashback, if that is your concern.

Yep.

It's slightly rarer on X570 boards, but for B550 it's a pretty common feature outside of the absolute cheapest boards.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 4, 2021

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

WhyteRyce posted:

I have a Gigabyte B550M Pro-P and the guide mentions I can flash from USB key in S5 via a qflash port so I'm assuming that's what it is.

Yeah, you're solid.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

While idle temps should be lower and there certainly may be something wrong with it, I'd also caution against expecting too much out of a 120mm AIO to begin with.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

gradenko_2000 posted:

How is AM4 motherboard availability and pricing, of late?

Generally fine.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I know that when I was shopping for a motherboard for my current system I saw a lot more complaints about USB issues in reviews on Gigabyte boards than I did for other manufacturers.

Gigabyte also tends to put a lot more USB ports on their boards than the competition. I suspect this may be related.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

mdxi posted:

Igorslab writeup about the AM5 socket: https://www.igorslab.de/en/amds-socket-am5-v2-in-detail-what-is-better-with-ryzen-than-with-intels-socket-lga-1700-for-alder-lake/

Most interesting detail to me: when AMD said ""AM4 coolers will interoperate", they may have only been referring to clip-style ones (the default mount).

Looks to me like coolers that mount to a standard AM4 backplate will continue to work with the standard AM5 backplate.

The AM5 backplate is a little different than AM4, however, in that it has some extra holes that the AM5 CPU retention hardware screws in to. Thus, if you have an AM4 cooler that ditches the standard backplate for some insane reason, you'll need an AM5-compatible backplate to go with it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

That Peruvian site that got one early has it 20% ahead of the 12900KS in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, so gaming performance seems to be good at least.

Gonna be a bit of a weird one though, considering it's basically a 5700x you can't overclock for tasks that don't take advantage of the extra cache.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Klyith posted:

The average PC enthusiast doesn't do any tasks besides games that really need massive CPU performance.

Is it really gonna mean much if (for example) you're GPU-limited, though? There's a lot to look at and I'm intensely curious to see how it all shakes out.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Thankfully, HUB said they're going to be doing more benchmarking, and their benchmarking setup seems pretty robust, testing with two RAM configurations for the 12900K and 5800X3D.

Their 30+ game spread is in the works, but due to time constraints their Intel numbers from that will either be DDR5-only or DDR4-only (probably DDR4 based on a channel poll they ran a couple days ago).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is it right that:

1. Ryzen 5500 is only PCIe 3, and so is 5600G, and so are the new 4000 series

2. Ryzen 5600 non-X is PCIe 4

3. But if I have a B350 board then it doesn't matter because B350 is only PCIE 3

As far as that goes, yes. However, everything below the 5600 non-X (including the 5600G) also has cut down L3 cache, which is probably more important than the PCIe 4 support.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

CoolCab posted:

in terms of thermal and acoustic performance those kind of tend to lag behind because they were very seldom designed for airflow. some places went with the isolation style design for acoustic performance and i think it didn't work very well - components have fuckin spiked in terms of power used. the best cases currently from my observation tend to be as close to open on the front with the least metal and one layer of dust filter.

I'll second this. I have a my old machine in a Fractal R5 that I ended up taking the front panel door off of to improve airflow, and upgraded to a Meshify 2 for my current system. Turns out you can still have a very quiet PC if you have enough airflow that you don't need to run the fans full blast.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Klyith posted:

Also USB cables are not really susceptible to incidental noise -- it's a digital connection, it pretty much either works or doesn't.

They can introduce noise, however. I can reliability get a noisy audio signal out of my phone if I'm using wired headphones and plug the phone into my computer to charge while listening.

Although that's more the power coming from the computer than the cable itself. Still.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

My understanding is that a big part of the cost increase on AM5 is due to the increased signal integrity requirements of DDR5/PCIe5 necessitating more PCB layers. Can't really get away with 4-layer PCBs any more.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You still get a single NVMe 4.0 slot off the CPU with B550.

Not that the performance difference is going to matter in the slightest for games.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

hobbesmaster posted:

I would’ve agreed but with all the dumb stuff we’re seeing from console ports lately being able to match the ps5 spec for spec should be a consideration.

You still get a 4.0 NVMe slot on B550, matching the PS5 spec. Not that it really matters since a pc is not a PS5 and I can think of exactly one game that even has DirectStorage support.

Incidentally, the SSD in the Series X uses 2 lanes of 4.0 and is only rated for ~2.5gb/s reads.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I think that's the lowest price it's hit outside of maybe some Microcenter deal or similar.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I don't think you can just arbitrarily disable chunks of cache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Not really. That card still relies on having the full 16 lanes available (and also motherboard support for bifurcation). The GPU portion uses 8 and the m.2 slots use the rest. If there's only 8 lanes going to the GPU slot, the drives are cut off.