Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Many of those new X570 mobo's are looking to be too drat expensive and probably aren't worth buying unless you plan on doing high end water cooling with one of the high core count Zen2's at a minimum though going by what Buildzoid has said. If you're just going to put a decent air HSF on one and let PBO do its thing I'd probably just recommend going with one of the better X470 mobo's for now.

Yeah the DRAM OEM's expect DDR5 to remain pricey until mid-ish 2021 or so and then adoption rates are expected to pick up.

I'm building itx soon-ish. And these reasons are exactly why I'm planning on asus x470-i(dual m.2 to keep my 950 pro boot drive and add an intel 2tb m.2 for storage). I don't see pcie4 bringing anything to the table any time soon, even running dual m.2. A 2080ti would only be affected at a small percentage of the time at 8x pcie3.

Now the question.. stick with 3700x and some sort of air cooling, or bite the bullet on a 3800x and get an AIO... Not planning to OC much, if at all.. but the extra heat capacity of an AIO is tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you're not planning to OC much then I think the major benefit of a AIO (I'm assuming a 2x 120mm fan radiator version) would be noise reduction + similar cooling ability to a good air HSF.

Depending on the size of your case, your budget, etc. it might not be worth going with a AIO IMO.

Khorne posted:

Air and AIOs have competitive cooling and noise levels.

I've got an Ncase M1(v5) I picked up w/ a SF600 and 1080ti for a fair price. (I even have gone ahead and got my hands on a set of these: raised feet in anticipation of optimizing airflow regardless of setup.)

The lower base-clock of the 3700x (and likely more manageable cooling) would probably pair up w/ a NH-U9S pretty well.

My gut is telling me a 3800x would be harder to keep under control without under-volting or capping output without something like a 240mm AIO. There are certainly other air options here.. c14s seems possible, but I'm hesitant...

That said, this is all theoretical until benchmarks/testing are released anyways.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

B-Mac posted:

There is always the possibility that the 3800X is also better binned and will run at the same clocks at the 3700X but as lower voltages. I have a Ncase M1 as well with a 2600X and am waiting to see these benchmarks for voltage/clock curve efficiency.

Also possible.

I'm basically in my old habit of wanting to do it perfectly once and leave it for awhile (a few years hopefully- I built my current rig in oct '16, and just have the itch to get rid of the tower under the desk that's in the way). So I'm obsessing over all the little details since I haven't done SFF builds before. Just happens to coincide w/ zen2 launch, so I'm reading over everything I can get my hands on until launch and will finalize parts then.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Deathreaper posted:

I have the same setup but with a 5960x clocked at 4.2 on all cores. It runs pretty drat hot but a 240mm AIO can handle it (other than pure benchmark AVX workloads, but that chip has known issues with AVX and heat output). I dont think the new AMD chips will have as high of a TDP even with some overclocking. Also lesson learned the hard way, I'd go with a good vapor chamber blower video card if they still exist. The usual dual/triple fan GPU coolers in that case just run too hot as they have trouble expelling heat due to size constraints.

Thanks! I was planning an accelero 3 mod on the ti with Noctua fans underneath exhausting. Seems to be best results overall and would potentially be transferable onto a 2080(ti?) when prices drop. Part of why I got those case feet printed to improve airflow underneath.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

You're pretty much stuck with finding someone to loan you a cpu to flash the new bios if you want x470.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Fair point. I tend to stick to itx boards (focus of my upcoming build), of which I don't think any support that solution.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Arzachel posted:

If you don't mind waiting a bit, you'll be able to get pre-flashed b450/x470 boards at some point.

I was starting to wonder about that. I figured worst case I could find someone selling their chip on CL locally and yoink it for a few to do a flash if it really came to it.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Lambert posted:

Never use DBAN. If you want to secure erase anything, a SATA secure erase command is the only reasonable way - with SSDs as well as HDDs. Use something like Parted Magic if you don't know how, issue it through your UEFI or use the Linux bash.

DBAN doesn't wipe an SSD. It's just an exercise in ruining flash without actually secure erasing anything.

And even with an HDD, it won't purge reserved sectors - only SATA secure erase will.

DBAN = Don't use it because you Don't want to Be AN idiot.

Can you explain further? I’m out of date on this stuff apparently. Use case was a 10+ yo hdd buried in an iMac..no reasonable way to extract it so I was looking at dban or similar to 0 out the drive before donating the machine to someone that could use it.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Lambert posted:

I don't own a mac, so can't talk from experience, but the way you execute an ATA secure erase is that you boot Parted Magic (or any Linux if you're okay with the command line, just look for the commands necessary by searching for ATA secure erase). Then you try to execute the command - the HDD will probably be "frozen", so you need to put the system to sleep and wake it up again to unfreeze.

After that, secure erase should execute - which works by writing zeroes or a random pattern (enhanced secure erase) across the whole disk, including sectors not accessible by user programs. The drive will do this on its own, don't disconnect power - you can't resume. Depending on hard drive size, this process will take a few hours

Another easy way of executing a less secure erase (but good enough for your purposes, considering it's an HDD, not an SSD) is doing it through the mac os Disk Utility.

Thanks, I was more curious about the technical aspect of why dban or the like wouldn’t be secure on old spinning platters. The limitation for me was not wanting to rip apart a whole pc to pull out a drive that likely had nothing of value anyways. I ran something through a couple passes that zeroed the drive, though I forgot the name after I had struggled with getting bootable dban for some reason or other. So it was interesting to hear it’s not considered secure as I thought the whole purpose as to write 0 or 1 on the whole platter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

KillHour posted:

I left memtest running for 6 hours and did get a single error during a random cycle. No errors on the other 100 or so passes though.

My secondaries are stupidly tight as well, so I could try loosening some of those up, but this is quickly approaching too much effort territory for something that could be anything from a repeatable problem to a cosmic ray bit flip. I'm gonna leave it as it is and if I notice any instability during real world use, I'll loosen something up.

This stuff.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232378

It's out of stock, but it was $230 - by far the cheapest 32GB kit of B-Die I could find.

That, plus 2x 2TB ex950 nvme drives were ordered earlier this morning. Though I'm going with 3700x, I'm still excite.