Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

The chiplet design tends to result in weird heat clustering that levels off over time, but the main issue is that the 3600’s stock cooler isn’t very good. You aren’t endangering the chip, but plopping a better cooler onto it would lower load temps and be quieter to boot.

I'm currently planning to build a PC with a 3600 and this 'stock cooler isn't very good' sentiment seems to be a universal constant when discussing it. I was a bit oblivious to the concept of CPU coolers before this build so trying to get my head around what is/isn't necessary. I'm keen on keeping noise down under load and not having temperature hamstring it's effectiveness but I'm decidedly mid-range when it comes to PC parts.

In the PC Builder thread sean10mm's put up a suggested build for a 3700x with a Noctua NH-U14S (~$65/£60). Does that sound like a solid choice? I've seen a few mentions of adding coolers that are half that price but I'm a bit skeptical that something which is <$30/£30 is going to be all that good.

And on a tangent is the stock cooler with the 3700x any good or is replacing that cooler recommended too? If I got something like the Noctua I'm already 2/3rds of the way through the price difference to that CPU...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Awesome, thanks for the detailed response and lower priced suggestion.

I'm still weighing up what total cost I'm happy with as I'm a miser at heart but will spend more for a quality mid-range product if it's a good investment. I like what I've read about the Noctua performance and aftercare, but will read up about the Arctic in case I'm just getting caught up in the excitement of it all and overspeccing for my needs.