Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

MaxxBot posted:

IIRC Zen 2 is supposed to have full speed AVX

Intel will just bring out AVX-1024 to stay one step ahead.

Never mind that the chip will have to clock down to 800MHz to avoid spontaneous combustion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Pablo Bluth posted:

They should probably introduce AVX512 too. Even if it's not that relevant to most people, it gives a poor impression to lose badly in subset of benchmarks.
Well if Threadripper and Epyc are basically just lots of Ryzens glued together, not having 512 bit SIMD instructions takes AMD's server processors off the table for a lot of applications that could otherwise benefit from the memory address space/bandwidth and PCIe lanes.

Munkeymon posted:

The compression blur just makes it :discourse:
Yeah it's pretty much spot on.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
99% of people will never upgrade their laptop so it's a loss of performance for nearly all users.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Vega eh? Looking forward to all the scalded junk lawsuits.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Additionally: there's no reason to suppose any of them will work.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Roughly how long is it after engineering samples become available before the retail release?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Fair enough, expose the 95W TDP as being the lie we all knew it was. But hamstringing the chip then measuring performance doesn't seem like a very interesting thing with regard to making a purchasing decision.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Lmao at anyone giving that amateur hour fabrication any credence whatsoever. It's bullshit and you all know it.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Oh, well in that case

Ryzen 4700X 8/16 6GHz boost* $299.99

*non-exotic cooling (480mm chiller)

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
I, too, look forward to buying far more cores than I need. I'm glad I didn't get a 8700k when they came out. The jump from 4 to 6 cores looked great at the time, but kind of anaemic now.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
AMD absolutely should sell Zen 2 cheaper than the equivalent i7/9s. If they're the same price, people will just pick the one they consider a safer bet, and that's Intel.

But I also agree that people who think they're getting more than 8 cores cheap are in for a disappointment.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
The TDPs are officially worthless at this stage. 3600X -> 3700X is a jump of 50% more cores and 200 MHz, but somehow only takes only 10W more power :crossarms:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
DDR5 is likely a 2020 thing at this stage, right?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Craptacular! posted:

As a person who simply buys whatever is best for my price range and doesn't get caught up in business wars, I'll never understand the people who take it to the level of thinking that chipmakers are using security research firms to sabotage one another etc.

It's not that it can't happen, it's just that it's such a waste of time. It's an incredibly targeted level of marketing that costs quite a bit of money to reach very few people, because very few people are reading security whitepapers...

You're ignoring the business market. Someone responsible for purchasing thousands of CPUs may still not read white papers, but they'll probably have read the write ups that will be all over the tech sites.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

ItBreathes posted:

I wonder if I could start selling audiophile woo to gamers?

KillerPCIe :cool:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Would it be safe to say that DDR5 won't be supported until Zen 2's successor?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

That doesn't make sense. If you've got enough top-binned chiplets to service the desktop market with a high-clock (dual-die) 16C product as well as downmarket R5 products using single 8C dies, you've got enough top-binned chips to service the (much smaller) HEDT market as well.

If you look at Mindfactory data, TR sells like 1% of the volume of R7s and R5s. The 2950X is like a three-pixel slice, the 2990WX is literally a line, everything else is rounded into "other". AMD would sell less R9s than they currently do R7s due to higher pricing, but any way you want to slice it, HEDT is a low-volume product compared to consumer processors.

Threadripper may not be pulled at all, it may just not have been on the consumer roadmap because it's not really a consumer processor, but if it is pulled it's probably to avoid it undercutting Epyc sales, rather than because they don't have enough dies. The idea of 64C variants, in particular, has always seemed kinda suspect to me because the 2990WX was segmented from Epyc by its wonky 2+0+2+0 NUMA config, with the IO die on Zen2 it's no longer NUMA, so would literally just be an overclockable single-socket Epyc (with lower memory channels/PCIe lanes I guess). When they do threadripper, I would not be surprised at all to see the highest config being 32C.

Given the tiny number of TRs sold, it might not be worth AMD's time to invest in them.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Lookin' forward to the Zen2 benchmarks where the 9900k figures are measured with HT off to reflect real world use :laugh:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Munkeymon posted:

Seems much more likely that they spent decades not thinking about security at the microcode level and were blindsided by recent advances.

*extreme parody of a valley girl voice form the 90s* "Uhhh, like, why would I worry about application layer security, Becky? I make hardware."

I read an article back a while back that said essentially that there's a well known and studied list of vulns which chip makers were expected to design around, but Intel didn't because of the performance cost. AMD did try, which is why it wasn't hit with as many of these issues.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
The 3900X is already $500, and they're adding a third more cores for the 3950X. I'd be surprised if it comes in under $700.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Simple, Intel would go back to their traditional business of selling memory.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
What's the deal with Ryzen 3 APUs? All I could find was the 3400g, which despite the model number is 12nm. My company will be buying a batch of PCs soon and it would be great to get all dem sweet cores

If there are no 7nm APUs coming within the next couple of months, what cheap options are there for adding basic (i.e. office level) graphics capability to an AMD system?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

The absolute cheapest display adapters are still Tesla-based (GT210/GT730/etc) or Terascale-based (Radeon 5450/6450). If you want something with actual modern driver support I'd look at a RX 460, GT 1030, RX 570, or GTX 1050. If you want lots and lots of displayport outputs, probably a Quadro P400 or P600.
The super cheap options run about $40 on Amazon - not terrible but still a unfortunate extra cost just because AMD doesn't care about APUs.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
We know Zen2 CPUs will cheaper for equivalent performance than Intel, but I got the impression that the motherboards will be pricier. Will new builds still end up cheaper by going AMD once RAM and motherboards are accounted for? I'm assuming that there will still be some motivation to buy better RAM for Ryzens.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

K8.0 posted:

I'm curious how many of you planning to buy a 3900X have ever bought a $500 processor before. AMD seems to have a huge hype wave going in their favor right now.

Last CPU I bought was a 4/4 3570k. The perceived wisdom of the time was to avoid overspending now because you're just going to replace it in 3 years with something far better. That didn't pan out, and it's pretty legit to spend more these days knowing that you're likely going to get 5+ years out of a decent CPU. A 12 core option is attractive because it should keep you ahead of the next gen consoles for their lifetime, so barring some exceptional IPC bumps in the meantime, it's a good investment.

This is all assuming the 12/16 core AMD chips don't end up being shittier for games than the 8 cores (like Threadripper was) though. If they actually are worse, the 3900X becomes distinctly unappealing.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Theris posted:

12PM EDT/9AM PDT on the 7th, I think.

This just covers up to the 3900x, right? I thought I heard the 3950x isn't out for a little longer.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Wasn't Zen 2 supposed to be the last CPU that will work with the current socket?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
What a loving baby.

I've never been tempted to watch one of his videos based on the rep he has. It's like the youtube equivalent of wccftech.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
TSMC's revenue graph from the article at the top of the page shows there's plenty of money in older processes. GoFlo's problem is they have to start investing in a new node eventually or they'll fade into embedded irrelevancy.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
TSMC are releasing 5nm Q1 next year so things are a little better than that.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
One factor keeping AMD from being more widely sold by Dell/HP/etc is that their APUs lag way behind their pure CPU releases. A 3700X might be great value but it becomes a lot less attractive once the cost of a dGPU is added on.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the big OEMs expect Intel to regain the top spot eventually, and they wouldn't want to sour the relationship over a relatively temporary state of affairs.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
What difference does recognition of technical improvements make?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Does anyone have solid numbers on how quickly Zen2 cores throttle up when they transition from having nothing to do to being busy? Googling for p-state switching latencies didn't yield anything.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
No surprise, 8 channel TR just sounds like Epyc anyway.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Back in the first gen of Intel speedstep (long-rear end time ago) it was measuring p-state latencies in the nano-seconds. c-state transitions were in the microseconds, so still very low. The problems generally were in applications that created bursty workloads that would trigger rapid cycling between p or c states. The embedded power management controllers are considerably smarter than that now and know to leave things ramped up for a little longer to help mitigate against that specific problem.

Perfect.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Is there any info about when Zen3 is expected to be released? It's not such a big jump from Zen2 to 3 as it was from Zen+ to Zen2, right? So the gap between releases could potentially be a little less than the year-and-a-bit cadence of prior releases.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Soooooo AMD may be sitting back for a moment and holding the process improvement until next year, so they have something good to get people excited about AM5 or whatever the new platform for DDR5 is. If ryzen 4000 was substantially better than 3000, but then 5000 was a very minor improvement, that wouldn't work in their favor.
If AMD went from Zen2 on 7nm, Zen3 on 6nm and Zen4 on 5nm, there should be enough of a difference between the gens to keep people happy. It's possible that they don't expect to be able to compete for the latest node against the Apples of the world, so they're pinning their hopes on the architectural improvements in Zen3 to provide most of the performance uplift.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
X USB 3.60 S
X USB 3.60 X
X USB Series X

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Malcolm XML posted:

Ddr is the last parallel single ended interface in wide use, they could switch to serial like IBM does.
Uh whu?? Does IBM has some kind of proprietary memory format that's way faster than DDR?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

mdxi posted:

All we know, in the form of actual AMD statements, is

* Mark Papermeister saying to expect "similar IPC improvements" to the previous gen.
* Confirmation that the process will still be 7nm
* So improvements are architectural, not process driven
* Edit: A unified L3 cache model

So assuming a small frequency bump from the refined 7nm process, we're talking maybe 15% faster than Zen2. Not bad, but it will be interesting to see if they can improve the cache latency to a significant degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Samsung's 3nm has been pushed out a few months too.