Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

I absolutely love this. Intel offered a sweepstakes where people could win an 8086k, AMD responded by offering a free swap out for a Threadripper 1950x for the winners.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-amd-sweepstakes-8086k-threadripper-1950x,37320.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

My strategy was to go for the 5800X as I figured the higher end parts were hopeless, I got it but I clicked so fast I ordered this dumb protection plan on accident lol.

I was catching up on this thread earlier and remembered your post when I saw my trash bags.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Interestingly enough, the minimum supported CPUs both have AVX and wouldn’t have problems. They recompiled with a lower CPU support target to let people play on Core 2 and AMD Phenom CPUs, which will potentially make performance worse for everyone with CPUs less than 10 years old.

Speaking of which, anybody still on Bulldozer? How’s it holding up? Ye olde FX-8100 has AVX, and apparently Bulldozer actually does OK at Cyberpunk.

It’s me, I’m the person running an FX-8350 in TYOOL 2020. I’ve got it paired with a 970 and on mid-low setting it plays decent enough all things considered, just doesn’t look amazing.

I really can’t wait for 5 series supplies to stabilize so I can finally retire this worn out bulldozer.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Well, out of the blue today my Asrock B550 just developed the USB issue after running fine for a month and a half. Hopefully they can figure something out with it soon. I’ve tried all the usual fixes and it’s still persisting.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Xaris posted:

What CPU are you pairing with it? Some people are finding running VDDG IOD at around 1060 - 1080 (CCD 950-1020) has fixed USB issues/crackling, but also that means VSOC should be like 1.1 - 1.1375

I’m running it with a 3700x. Haven’t messed with those settings but I’ll definitely give it a shot!

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Alright well I’m still scratching my head over this but I’m gonna put this here in case it helps someone else.

I posted before about my ASRock B550 board that worked fine for a month and a half suddenly developed the USB issue where the ports would randomly disconnect/reconnect. Usual fixes did nothing to remedy it. Well, my girlfriend has Firefox going with about a billion tabs open and set to restore them when Firefox starts, after clearing a bunch of them down to a reasonable amount the USB issue seems to be corrected, best I can tell is that’s the ONLY thing different and now it’s completely fine. Can’t say I even begin to understand why that did anything but if you guys are having the issue try closing your browser down or killing tabs to less than 20 open at a time and see if that’s the culprit.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Just a heads up for those of you dealing with USB disconnect issues, looks like a lot of the board makers are rolling out AGESA 1.2.0.2 today. There’s already a new BIOS for my ASRock board listed, going to try that tonight and hope it helps.

There was already a beta BIOS for a while that supposedly had the fix baked in but I don’t like the words beta and BIOS in the same sentence so I held off.

Noobles fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 22, 2021

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

I had issues with my ASrock gaming phantom board with USB issues, keyboard and mouse would randomly disconnect for 2-3 seconds at a time. Installing the latest BIOS did nothing but what ended up fixing the issue for me was going into the BIOS and manually changing the PCIe speed from PCIe4 to PCIe3. Haven’t had a single problem since.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Since we’re on USB disconnect chat, I had the same issue with my 3700x on an ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 AC board, BIOS updates never fixed the issue but I eventually set my PCIe speed to PCIe3 instead of PCIe4 and haven’t had a single USB drop since.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

I had a lot of USB issues, especially my keyboard and USB DAC just randomly disconnecting/reconnecting and the fix for me was changing PCIe4.0 in my BIOS to PCIe3.0, after that not a problem since. Hopefully that might help some of you if it hasn’t been tried yet.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Have you gone in your BIOS and changed PCIE4 to PCIE3? I had very similar issues and that’s what ended up fixing USB issues for me and several others.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

I was still rocking an FX-8350 up until about two years ago when I jumped to a 3700x and the difference was astounding, probably going to run this current CPU for many years to come. Recently we have been making pretty big generational jumps again though which is great!

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Tiger Direct had a physical store where I lived at the time that was good initially but quickly went down hill. The last time I ever went there I got my parts, went to the register and found out that everything was 20-30% more than the listed price on the website. I had all of the sku’s pulled up and asked them to price match the site. I was told that they had nothing to do with the tiger direct website and don’t price match them.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the physical storefront that had NOTHING to do with Tiger Direct Dot Com and therefore will not price match:

That was the day I started using Newegg.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

If you’re the one that killed the CPU and board and they’re offering it, take the 5500 and run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The last time I saw a noticeable result from overclocking was on my Phenom II 965BE.

Man those were the days, I had a 955BE and that thing could take a crazy OC with little to no voltage bump.