Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

A few people are in there reporting it happening at stock, maybe it's a specific mobo bios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Didn't Intel confirm this was false a little while ago?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

eames posted:

10.4 GB shared HBM2 :getin:

drat son

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

For office use / surfing / probably a majority of gaming I'm unsure what the difference could be, beyond game frametimes being better on the 1700. I guess if you're streaming, heavily multitasking, rendering or compiling which I wouldn't count as a typical workload the 1700 would blow it away.

Weirdly though I want a 1700 (but will hang on until Ryzen+) just for game frametimes.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 11, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Paul, what's the deal with game frametimes and sync and res and poo poo like that.
As far as I can tell the AMD chips are doing better with frametime consistency, but I'm not sure if gsync or freesync negates that or not.

Also how does frametime consistency change with res? is there a point at which AMD loses out as res goes up? Mostly for 1440p.
I'm not looking at HEDT from either manufacturer and it's just idle chit chat really.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 11, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If / When Vive2 has higher res panels, I wonder what would be the best chip to drive it.
Perhaps Ryzen+ might be out by then, it'll be interesting to see.

So very much idle curiosity. Thank you.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 11, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oops. I meant to put refresh there.

So the correct way to do it for vr would be to match a chip to the refresh you want to drive. If they both can put out over the min refresh rate of the display, you'd choose the one that offered the best frame time consistency.

Is that correct?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cool. It might be good to wait for a shootout between coffeelake and Ryzen+ / 2. Thank you for the good info.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 11, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's a gently caress load of Javascript and libraries.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Measly Twerp posted:

Also, GRINDCORE MEGGIDO asked a mod for a 'funny probation' and got probated for 11 years...

I felt bulldozered, but now I am Ryzen.

E-(I got one. I knew Palpek would deliver).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 14, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Linux compile owns.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

sauer kraut posted:

Kaby Lake (i7-7700K) just clocks several 100 MHz higher.

Usually about a gigahertz

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That'll teach you to be a healslut.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Junior Jr. posted:

I just hope it's roughly the same price you'd get for an 1800X and they discount the 1800X itself

Man, I don't see that happening.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

R7 1700+ working with DDR4 3000 out of the box, not mine, but a friends. Vengeance LPX.

The Spire cooler it came with is insufficient with the high ambient (for the UK, anyway, of 32degC) for any clocking prolly, it's hitting 75deg at 3.5Ghz all cores.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It deserves a noctua for sure. It's quiet though idle, very quiet but ramps up.

It's good and stable though, pleased the ram hit it's spec. Although it only would in the two non recommended ram slots (it's dual channel though, 43GB/s read). Asus prime b350.

E- AM4 mounting system is great.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 20, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That's a cool article link.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wirth1000 posted:

This is probably opening a gate for mockery but does anyone here actively use the ASUS motherboard software side of things? I mean like Fan Xpert 2.

It was absolute garbage on my skylake, and wouldn't correctly uninstall either. I don't know if it's better on AMD.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Rastor posted:

Here's a Gigabyte mini-ITX board for the AMD Ryzen socket AM4 platfrom

Nice. I checked the chips on my ddr4 4000, and it's Samsung, so based on not much at all it might run at decent clocks in a Ryzen box.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 27, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SamDabbers posted:

Citation needed. Google found otherwise: (see section 3.4)

Expect the tolerances are set to run within some common range.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it really the best silicon? I'd have expected it to be just relabelled. All that stuffs probably going to THREADRIPPER / EPYC.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Scarecow posted:

I'll rip and tear anyone who thinks threadripper isnt loving kicking rad

I like it too. It's like something from a 90s Sega game.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm just hoping the XTREME naming works for them, and they keep it up in future.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I just think of that dude from Streetfighter 2.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wyze fwom your gwave! (I had the Sega version)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FaustianQ posted:

Actually, it might be considering Threadripper is quad channel and Ryzen loves it some bandwidth.

I'm now wondering if it'd be possible to MCM two Raven Ridge dies for the TR4 platform. 8C/16T, 1408SP iGPU, 150W, Quad memory.

Is it bandwidth, latency, or the speed of the fabric bus increasing it loves?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Truga posted:

I just swapped the panels on my case :v:
I did this too.
(I had to order a side panel from Germany without a window. Thermaltake took 3 weeks to reply to emails / FB messages, I mailed 3 different countries reps before getting one.)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SourKraut posted:

The Wraith Spire does? I thought only the Wraith Max cooler did.

They still get quite toasty at 3.8.

I'd still get a noctua personally. They use dark magic in the fans.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HalloKitty posted:

Yep. My case is full of those classy chocolate and tan motherfuckers.

They own so hard. Noctua keeps promising a 200mm fan, the tease.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

OH gently caress
I've been wanting that for years. NICE!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Munkeymon posted:

Holy crap - I'd have given up and bought spray paint after a week or so

I wish lian would make an itx cube with horizontal mobo and vents everywhere. With support for full-size PSU / gpu / and bigass heatsink - when I needed a part for a lian, they replied and shipped out on the same day.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pebble dash it. Rustic.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If RTG don't sort their poo poo out and nVidia launch an MCM GPU before Navi, it'll just be cosmically sad.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, or moderate discounting. That would also solve the problem completely.

Then they'd have to stick to those prices, at least for a time. Intel loves their giant margins.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 12, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Vega, you're tearing my PSU apaaarrrt!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd be happy if the fabric ran full speed asynchronously, it could run ddr4@3600 easily and it hit 4.2ghz stock easily at the same wattage as stock does now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 19, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hefty!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

isndl posted:

What's the average life expectancy of an ordinary vertically-mounted motherboard using that giant cooler? :staredog:
I think a TR deserves a full ATX cube with a horizontal mobo. Make it look evil as gently caress.

eames posted:

Yeah definitely, if AMD is smart about cooling then TR will have two dies arranged diagonally across the package (one top left, other bottom right) to best spread the heat output.*
Current blocks have their microfins in the center where the die usually is, so the TR cores would only touch the unoptimized edges of the cooler where no water flows.
I guess you could still cool a TR with a AM4 cooler as long as the baseplate covers the dies but performance would be bad.

on a second thought maybe they'll arrange them in a line, who knows, but then TR optimized coolers would have to differ from Epyc optimized coolers. :iiam:

Alpha PAL8045 with Delta fans. :):respek::)

Yep, those were good at the time.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Combat Pretzel posted:

That said, I still wish for async IF clocks on TR2.

I wonder how much faster the chip would be if the IF was pegged to the max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This is why even when we build Intel machines, we hope AMD does well, because without AMD applying SOME kind of pressure, Intel has no incentive to do anything but sit on its rear end and soak consumers for every last penny.

They've proven that they are fundamentally dishonest and willing to break the law in order to maintain their market dominance.

Just imagine where we'd be if Bulldozer was the poo poo, as opposed to just being poo poo.

Yea. I really hope Ryzen results in the 6c coffeelake chips costing less. 6c needs to be a mainstream thing really for desktops, IMHO.