Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Intel needs to be careful to not piss off the customers who've been buying at $2K per. "You could have sold this to me at $750? WTF?" is a tough sales context for future conversations.

Depends on the market. For my applications it is Intel or ... No vendor support if I'm building clusters.

$750 is also budget dust until you're building enough to add two zeroes to that for enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

Just a quick note on this, if it performs as it should you will literally not even hear it over all the other fans + if you have any kind of decent aircooling from the front, I seriously doubt it's even needed. There were some early BIOS versions that made them annoying, but as of this past month they are utterly beneath notice imo.

On the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming the chipset fan is obnoxious and audible for sure. The southbridge runs up 65+degC just on idle. The fan becomes less obnoxious if you remove the little metal cover over it, though presumably that's not doing anything special with regards to deflecting air on purpose or whatever. It is also heat piped to a metal surround over the I/O area of the board, which I would imagine they wouldn't do this if they didn't think that this thing was going to put out a ton of heat, and would need to draw it away.

This fan the size of a bee's dick though just makes noise and isn't particularly effective. Fan off it settled in at 70C, fan on it's at 67C, which tells me it just isn't great at removing heat from that big sink, compounded by running ITX in a SFF enclosure.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I mean it is what it is, and there's not going to be any great place to put a heat load like that, or NVMe or whatever, just something to keep in mind.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

To clarify the board has a heatpipe and a fan, it just... doesn't have a lot of distance from other heat sources and the fan sucks.

Yellow is the pipe, which is just stuck in a groove on the shroud without any real bonding or anything other than physical contact.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The United States posted:

Um, what is going on with the mounting holes on that AMD motherboard?

It uses Intel mounting holes, presumably so that the cooler can be rotated to fit it better. There’s not much clearance there no matter which way you turn it.

Also meant the bling cooler that came with the processor is useless.