Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Measly Twerp posted:

I can finally afford to upgrade. In three days I'm going to put my i3-6100 in a box and forget it ever existed.
I don't wanna be That Guy, but just to make sure - you know that going from an i3-6100 to an R7-1700 is a bit of a downgrade in single thread performance right? I'm assuming you have workloads that can make proper use of the 8 cores, in which case it'll be an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Stock vs stock the difference is 20%ish: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

So OCing the ryzen from 3.7 (stock turbo) to 4.0 (8% increase, highest likely OC) is not going to be enough to catch up.

8 cores is A Thing though.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
"in practice" depends on your workload.

Clock speed means absolutely nothing. As shown by the 6100 hitting significantly higher single threaded performance than the 1700 at the same clock speed.

Performance difference between the two depends on whether you have largely single or 2-threaded workloads or workloads that can actually use more cores. If you are playing Overwatch or Counterstrike or a myriad of other games with nothing significant in the background and your other use is web browsing and other light tasks, from the 6100 to the 1700 is a downgrade. If you are doing heavy multitasking of nontrivial tasks or using any productivity software that can seriously load several threads, the 1700 is a serious upgrade.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 11, 2017

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

Very few workloads on a 6100 would be better than a 1700
That is simply not correct.

I gave some examples that apply to millions upon millions of PC users including many who post on this forum so rather than beat a dead horse I'll leave it at that.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if you do anything more strenuous to a PC other than "play stupid video games and browse web pages" the ryzen 7 will be better in anything that doesn't absolutely demand every cycle of thread #1
Yes. A lot of people don't though. That's all I was saying - whether it is an upgrade depends what you use your PC for.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Nah, most games these days will use more than 2 cores, and background tasks will always be chewing up CPU time.

The reality is that if you're simply comparing raw FPS in a few single threaded games, then you might have a point, but that's completely meaningless. The entire rest of the experience when using the machine will be immeasurably better. Not to mention the fact the 1700 has way more cache, which will help in minimum frame times anyway. The clocks and IPC are otherwise fairly similar.
[citation needed]

quote:

There's basically almost no scenario in which one would genuinely want the i3, and if your computing load is so light that i3 could possibly beat out the 1700, then you're not the sort of person looking at an upgrade anyway.
If you were talking about a new build I could agree but for an upgrade it is factually correct to note that there may or may not actually be any performance increase.

I posted hard data, if you are going to make claims like "immeasurably better" please do the same. Moar cores is not a magic ticket to moar better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

some people found a way to make 5% of system unstable

lol. come on.