Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
For a premiere/photoshop box with 128g of ram and a pcie 4.0 SSD, do I particularly care about waiting (what sounds like) 1-2 months for my 5900x B&H preorder to fulfill, or should I just trot down to Microcenter and get a $399 3900x today? Total damage after shipping and tax will be $601 on the preorder. I'm antsy and have everything else I need. For reference, i'm coming from a 4670 with 16 gigs of ram so either one should be a good improvement. I do play games but not higher than 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm going to combine patience and impatience, I wanna get it built but still want that 5900x option I think. Going to run down to Microcenter and grab a $179 3600 for the time being and let my preorder ride. I can kick the 3600 to a needy friend or build a side box with it later.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
3600 in hand, 5900x preorder stands. So excited to unbox all my new parts and build my first brand new machine since, no poo poo, a 2.8 ghz Northwood P4 I put together for Dark Age of Camelot in 2004-ish.

also thank you Noctua for realizing i'd forget thermal paste at Microcenter and throwing a tube in with your coolers.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
After six hours of screaming and panicing and raging because the windows installer would NOT see my SSD, I am on my new 3600 + 128gb posting rig and oh my god computers are fast now. i'm coming from a 4670 with 16 gigs and this makes that thing look like a C64.

Hint for those of us that haven't built a computer in the past seven years: make sure you burn a proper UEFI setup on your win10 boot image. We literally had four people helping me troubleshoot and none of us thought about it until the very end when every snapped into place.

Will be pretty interesting once that 5900x order is fulfilled.

Also: lmao 5022 MB read 4250 MB write according to crystaldiskmark. Those Sabrent 4.0's that were on $149 flash sale last week are pretty loving nice.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cactus posted:

Scan just replied to my enquiry about the BIOS thing saying they will update it on a new MoBo for :10bux:

Like, I'm pretty sure I can flash it myself from usb (the motherboards I'm looking at all have the option of doing it without needing a CPU installed), but part of me is tempted on the offchance I somehow manage to gently caress it up because I've only ever updated a BIOS from the motherboard utility before. I've spent nearly £2000 on this build so what's another tenner, right? for the piece of mind that it'll be done already when it gets delivered.

A buddy just got to POST on his 5800 rig on a TUF board a few minutes ago and I watched along. The no-cpu flash was literally plug in the stick, turn the psu on, watch the light blink for 8 minutes and you're done. It seems really easy.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Been having fun with the 3600 machine this weekend. It's so nice and fast and I will be similarly excited when my 5900x backorder gets fulfilled.

If you care for a goofy vid, here's my doing the christening on it tonight on twitch:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PluckyArborealKumquatFunRun

I did manage to use up almost all my 128GB when I started running filters on a 210,000 x 150,000 Photoshop image

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Looking grim at B&H. Just got this in:

quote:

Thank you for your AMD Ryzen Processor order.

We have received a tremendous number of customer orders that are far in excess of the inventory that AMD has allocated to us. Unfortunately, as a result, it is unlikely that we will be able to fulfill your order until sometime during the first quarter of 2021 (January – March).

We are working closely with AMD trying to secure additional product. We will send you an update in early December.

If you have any questions, please email me along with your order number at orderupdates@bhphoto.com. In the event you would like to cancel your order, please use this link https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/order-history.jsp.

We appreciate your business and apologize for these delays.

Thank you,

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah I did mine at 1:33 AM Eastern. So at least that gives a bit of timeboxing for when the December batch got used up versus the "gently caress, maybe 2021 some time?" batch.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
When I first built i got no-video no-beeps and raged. Turns out i hadn't seated the video card quiiite right. Reseat everything and also check that you have exactly 9 - not 10, not 8 - standoffs in your motherboard tray and they've all got a screw. (well, mine's got 9 holes - check the manual to confirm, it will tell you)

mdxi posted:

This is all the Denver Microcenter has left (not counting Threadrippers):

Just got that promo email too. Honestly, $399 3900x is looking more interesting than waiting four months for a 5900x.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
25+ 5800's listed in stock in Denver microcenter. My 5900x will be here tomorrow though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hi

We gettin busy

We were busy with a 3600

But now we're busy with the 5900x

this is pretty ridiculous

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
currently on a big 5900x rig but im intrigued by a 16+core 7000 series setup, though i want to see what numbers the gen5 ssds can do first as i'm a disk transfer boy. other'n that it looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the x3d chips almost seem like a threat to this one, people cannot say enough good poo poo about it. interesting