Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don't know too much about virtualization but how transparently virtualizable are multi core multi GPU setups these days?

Is there a big performance hit?

Put another way, would it be possible to create a multi seat gaming setup with Threadripper and multiple Nividia cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

how cleanly does (python) scientific code parallelize? i'm tempted to throw money at a ryzen r7 1700 as an upgrade over my current i5 4590; would I get close to 2x performance moving from an i5 4 core to ryzen 8 core for hobby machine learning workloads (e.g., sklearn, xboost)?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yah i'm aware of the GIL - the code and frameworks I use spin up new processes.
my question is whether i'll get a straight 2x performance boost moving from an i5 4 core to ryzen 8 cores or do the architectural differences blunt that substantially.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Matrix math tends to parallelize real well thanks to time-tested primitives like BLAS/LAPACK (which Numpy hooks as native C). I'm guessing if you're getting good scaling (4x speedup) on a 4-core already then you would get 8x out of Ryzen, yes.

awesome thanks. and is there a sweet spot between the 1700, 1700x, and 1800x models?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Machine and deep learning are pretty resilient to imprecision (and inaccuracy) if you set up the models right.

Anyway it's hobby stuff

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 14, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Klyith posted:

XoxOX0XXX

I might have missed the conversation but what the hell is that

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I just set up a Ryzen 7 1700 with a 1080 Ti. I've installed the latest chipset drivers.

Is there any other setup I need to do to optimise my system?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Thanks, I've set XMP for my ram. I'm wary about overclocking the CPU, I understand that doing so disables idling?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

Use P-State overclocking if your BIOS supports it. It's probably in a menu under AMD CBS.

thanks man, i've OCed to 3.7GHZ. Dumb question but how does overclocking here differ from the max turbo core speed of 3.7GHZ that the 1700 advertises? Does that also go up proportionately?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I built a R7 1700 system to replace my i5 -4590 (4C/4T) desktop as a home workstation/gaming PC and am pretty chuffed with the performance.

Gaming flies and more impressively, my hobby machine learning code cleanly parallelizes from 4 to 8 cores for close to 2x the performance.
Scikit python code that used to take 2h22m per run now takes slightly over an hour.

One downside is I can't overclock my PC when running full on all 8 cores using the Wraith Spire cooler. I hit 80+C and the system shuts down for overtemp protection.
I've noticed that the CPU idle/load temps don't scale up linearly with the OC rates - I tried overclocking from 3.7GHZ down to base and there's a sharp rise in temps once you overclock at all.

I'm fine with stock for now (hitting >100FPS at 1440P with a 1080Ti for almost all games) but am thinking of moving to a custom cooling solution down the road.
What's a good/quiet solution - I was looking at the Cryorig H7 Quad or an entry watercooling solution, the Coolermaster Masterliquid Lite 120.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Turning OC mode on at all disables all of the power-throttling. This is another reason to go with the 1700 over the 1700X, you can't underclock the 1700X very easily...

Unless I'm mistaken about pstate overclocking, that's not true?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

A casual Google search didn't bring up anything conclusive - would populating all 4 of my ram slots (from my current 2) mean I can't run them at native 2933mhz?

The manual for my asrock b350 mobo seems to point at lower speeds for 4 sticks versus 2 but I'm not sure.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Bizarre that he's never across this issue given he's spent a lot of time benchmarking Intel CPUs in the past.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol when people do poo poo like this

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

#fakenews

that image is apparently from a Thai bitcoin facility from Nov 2014
https://coinjournal.net/cowboy-miners-facility-burns/

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's probably a big overlap between white libertarian coinbros and sex tourists that go to Thailand.
IIRC, the Dutch owner of a darknet bitcoin-based market was recently arrested in Bangkok

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

if u're using linux, could you try running the phoronix test suite?
pretty simple to use - package install and you can run the entire test suite from a single CLI command.

curious to see the scikit-learn performance

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Look at the viewership numbers for Linus versus every one else though.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Speaking of gaming, the new Assassin's Creed game scaling well with cores is a good omen for Ryzen aging nicely as a gaming platform.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

RE the AC:Origins benchmarks, the 4C/8T 7700K being 50% faster than the 4C/4C 7600K is pretty crazy.

It's too bad they don't have the 8600K on the list as a point of comparison against the 8700K.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

We should be able to see "clean" benchmarks once someone cracks it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol neither the crack scene nor Ubisoft are trustworthy but the latter just released a statement about this

quote:

Ubisoft: AC Origins’ DRM On PC Has No “Perceptible Effect” On Game Performance
http://gearnuke.com/assassins-creed-origins-anti-tamper-tech-pc/

Rumors circulating the web indicated that the DRM solution was implemented at the cost of CPU usage with an additional 40% usage recorded purely for the purpose of DRM, however Ubisoft has confirmed to us in a statement that this is not true and that the DRM has no effect on the performance of the game on PC. “We’re confirming that the anti-tamper solutions implemented in the Windows PC version of Assassin’s Creed Origins have no perceptible effect on game performance, ” said Ubisoft in an official statement.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gotta admire their tenacity about this DRM thing. The more complex versions don't delay pirated releases significantly. They might as well just drop in some token copy protection scheme to make casual copying impractical, because that's what the complex ones still only do, and leave it at that.

Not to defend DRM that just wastes cycles but AC:O is apparently uncracked a week on while Wolfenstein literally got cracked two days before the game actually launched with their CTO whining about piracy. Watch Dogs 2 was another Ubisoft release which managed to delay a crack release buy a couple months.

There was an interesting article on arstechnica a while back that delaying a cracked release by a couple months results in a material impact on sales.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Game released Nov 15, 2016. First crack was Jan 18 apparently.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It'd be hilarious if AMD does a "Powered by AMD" technical partnership with game devs to drive multi process utilization by spamming DRM VMs.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lol at Paul trying to spin this as a loss for AMD

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Okay, so I have watched the video now, and what he says is very convincing.... but it still leaves the question:

What the gently caress are (non-specific, generic, enthusiast-grade hardware-buying) YOU going to do with 32/64 outside of a server environment?

I have trouble saturating my 4x 1080 Ti with my 16C/32T 1950X on certain specific ML workloads

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Volguus posted:

What's the point of these tests? They cannot provide any meaningful information on anything. Centos 7 has very different libraries (glibc, gcc at least) than fedora 27, than ubuntu , than debian testing, than opensuse Tumbleweed. Not to mention default filesystem and so on. It's comparing apples and asteroids.

welcome to phoronix

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I got bitten in the rear end with the ThreadRipper/IOMMU issue for the first time - spent the entire weekend trying to debug why a dockerized tensorflow GPU model that worked on my office machine (7820X) wouldn't work on my home ThreadRipper setup.

Spent two days thinking it was a code issue without much success until I tried disabling IOMMU in Grub, worked perfectly.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Take a look at AMD's revenues compared to Intel's.

AMD could dominate benchmarks across their offerings over the next couple years and still fail to make a dent on market share.

Speaking as someone with a 1950X at home, cost-to-performance isn't the only metric that's important when it comes to big iron or enterprise deployment.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

500-1100% on DL tasks between Pascal and Volta)

LMAO, I'm curious what "DL tasks" these are.

Most benchmarks show a 10-30% difference for training/inferencing between the Titan V and the 1080 Ti.

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 6, 2018

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah that's bullshit marketing which isn't borne out in actual benchmarks.

We've actually looked at switching from 1080 Tis to the Titan Vs for our Dev ML servers, the latter aren't much faster.

A big part is the fact that Nvidia crippled FP16 throughput for consumer cards - but that's not used in actual training/inferencing.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Well I'm guessing you're not a technical guy -

1. Don't take marketing "benchmarks" at face value especially when the X-axis is "time to solution" (presumably convergence) and that can be manipulated
2. They compare the V100 to the P100 when the 1080 Ti is faster than the P100 and cheaper from a TCO standpoint if you're doing dev ML work
3. This is an example of a real-world benchmark

4. ResNet-50 is a pretty small (i.e., toy) image architecture by modern standards

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm more surprised about the mention of an SSD tbh

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm pretty curious about the performance of AMD hardware for next gen consoles - I'm guessing 4K60 is out of the question?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

How tricky is it to replace a CPU? I'm thinking of upgrading a B450 board with a 1700 with a 3000 series CPU. I'm wondering whether I should get a new gen mobo as well (GPU is an RTX Titan, 64GB ram).

I vaguely remember the (3rd party) CPU fan clamp being a bitch to install. 1. Do people normally remove the parts surrounding the CPU (GPU, ram) to help with the install?

2. Are there any issues with the OS on a CPU change?

3. Can I expect to get the full performance of the CPU with a 1st gen board?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I think his point is that Cinebench scales well with cores. Intel CPUs still beat AMD ones core for core.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I have a 1950X so you're preaching to the choir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

There's a limit to how much Nvidia can price gouge - we saw that with the dismal sales of the 2000 series.