Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

eames posted:

Since we're talking cases and windows... I'm that that thrilled with the NZXT S340. It looks good, cable management is excellent and the magnetic rubber puck for the headphone is a great idea but thermals and acoustics are pretty bad. The HDDs aren't decoupled and ventilated so they'll get seriously hot during maintenance operations like parity checks or zfs scrubbing.
In retrospect I should have bought the Thermaltake F51, a shameless Define R5 copy but larger and with a silly amount of fans options.

I have this case but what I bolded above is unknown to me. What is it?

Edit: Oh, there's a new version of the case with a tempered glass window instead of the plastic window like the one I have, and a magnetic headphone mount. When I got mine about a year ago it didn't have those things. Also it was $40 cheaper than their current MSRP.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bulgakov posted:

savage

I love the idea of gamer jesus mans getting confrontationally honest and doing journalism like this while expecting the same, exposing shill consultants that provide numbers that make it into corporate slides

He actually went to the consultant’s office unannounced and grilled the guy for 30 minutes on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzshhrIj2EY

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

exquisite tea posted:

That’s one of the monitors I checked and it just shows the variable clock speeds all around ~4.1k. It’s just strange because I’m not using any software to OC, just the BIOS, so shouldn’t it display on startup? Oh well!

Auto CPU overclocking with AMD is variable so what do you want it to show? Its max speed or the speed it’s currently running at? When it’s on auto there is no known max, it just keeps boosting the clocks constantly until it gets too hot and it backs off. If it were to show what it was currently running at it would likely be in the 2ghz range because it only ramps up the clocks when there is a load demanding for it to. Manual overclocking sets a specific clock for it to run at all the time so the bios has a value stored for that and can display that.

The reason your memory speed shows a consistent value is because it’s just using a value stored within the RAM itself on its XMP profile but auto cpu overclocking works differently where the cpu itself determines its clock speed based on current load, available power, and current temperature. It will always be shifting around.

This reply assumes that by auto overclocking you mean XFR/Precision Boost Overdrive.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 20, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

exquisite tea posted:

Well that's the weird thing, my CPU doesn't seem to downclock anywhere below 4.0ghz, even while browsing or switching to power saver + balanced mode. The temperature is perfectly fine (~37C), it just keeps working hard even when there's nothing to do. The BIOS is the only time and place where I can see its base clock speed of 3.7ghz. As long as it's safe then I don't mind it, just not what I'm used to is all!

Your windows power plan is probably set to high performance. If you set it to balanced it will boost just as high when under load but clock down when there is no demand on the CPU. There’s no downside to it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
69c is perfectly fine. The max temp before thermal throttling is 85c. Then if it continues to heat up it just turns itself off. It’s not the old days where CPUs cook themselves.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I get better performance and thermals doing the XFR/PBO stuff in games than I did with manual overclocking with my 2700x. The performance in synthetic benchmarks is actually worse but in game benchmarks and just general game performance it was better.

Also 1.5v might look scary, AMD engineers have posted on reddit several times not to worry about it, that it’s never there for sustained periods and those voltage spikes are in there by design. It’s how XFR/PBO works.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

B-Mac posted:

From what I’ve read Ryzen won’t run with odd cl timings unless you disable a certain memory setting, might be “geardown” but I’m not 100% sure.

It will run, it just rounds the number up to the closest even number. And my motherboard (gigabyte aorus x-470 gaming 7 WiFi) refuses to boot with geardown turned off on the most recent bios so I just deal with 16 cas instead.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CommieGIR posted:

Not many Netbooks get 8 cores regardless of it being a low power CPU, and it still delivered, so what's the issue here? It worked.

Yeah, it was easily beat by PCs of the era, but it also was fully capable of delivering on what Sony promised.

The claim was that it compared favorably with high end PCs at the time. Nobody said Sony didn’t deliver on promises.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CommieGIR posted:

From a gaming perspective: It did. From a hardware perspective: Of course it didn't, because it was a recession era product aimed at low to mid tier market.

It most definitely did not. It could barely do 30 FPS in lots of games with detail settings turned down while their PC equivalents on high end PCs were well above 60 with details maxed.

It was fine for a game console, but comparing it to a high end gaming PC in any metric is just wrong since it cost about a quarter what a high end gaming PC did.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

iospace posted:

Core dump of thoughts here:

1. The problem with the GPU market is there's no 1440p60* or higher cards available at 400 USD. When I bought my 670, it was pretty much a 1080p60* card. It was also 400 MSRP. If either AMD or Nvidia release a card that fits that bill, it'll sell like mad.

RTX 2060 is this. I have one paired with a 2700x and it comfortably plays everything at 60fps or higher at 1440p with high to ultra settings.

(Crysis plays at 50FPS nearly maxed out because it’s dumb)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah if it's the same post I just read, it's from an AMD rep who says they're looking into it still but can confirm data is not at risk.

There’s people in the thread confirming that the built in windows file integrity checker is finding corrupt system files. That can’t just be reporting too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Humerus posted:

I actually don't know if it hit that on multiple cores at once but HWMonitor showed it as the max on 5 of them. Is there a program that can show a time plot of clocks like that?

Hwinfo. It’s basically the same thing as hwmonitor but much better.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Humerus posted:

I must be blind because I have both programs (and CPU Z) and I don't see that option anywhere. Even though I'm pretty sure I used it when I first overclocked my i5-3570k.

Double click the entry in the big list and a graph pops up

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BlackMK4 posted:

I went to swap HSFs today and found that the thermal paste was so stuck I ended up tearing off the lid by accident. gently caress me, right? I went and grabbed a 3600 and stuck it in my Asus B350M-A, everything seems to run fine and it benches like it should...
Except Windows only sees 16GB of 32GB of memory, while CPU-Z/BIOS see the full 32GB.

I have two sets of CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 that were bought at different times, one reports as Micron DRAM and the other Hynix.

E: updated the bios and it no longer posts lol
e2: even after using the cmos reset jumper and pulling the cmos battery :lol: nice.

You mean it ripped the heat spreader off of the CPU?

A few months ago I had a similar thing happen with my 2700x, I took the fan off but the whole CPU came out with it. The socket lock on AM4 seems less than robust. When this happened I put the CPU back in, used less paste, and tried again only to find half of my RAM wasn’t being recognized. I took the CPU out one more time, reseated it, and everything was fine.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Having a nightmare deciding between building a 3700X or 9900k system for gaming. There's £36 difference between them according to pcpartpicker at the moment. I'm playing at x1440 144hz at the moment, but considering moving to a 1080 240hz at some point. Them few extra FPS the 9900k gets are taunting me, and the boosting not working properly on the ryzen3000s - maybe ever? - got me second guessing it. But them Intel vulnerabilities and the possibility of upgrading to Zen2020 that could comfortably beat the 9900k at some point is making me hesitate also

I went with the 9900k over the 3900x because I was going to have to get an AIO cooler anyway because I want my machine to be quiet and I know from experience that with my 2700x the wraith prism is louder than I wanted. Sold my 2700x and the motherboard and picked up a 9900k, RTX 2080, motherboard, and h115i pro AIO cooler and I’m very happy. This thing will last me many years now.

I do mostly games but also some web dev with docker.

Edit: also availability was a factor. 9900k was available when I wanted it. 3900x not so much.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Arzachel posted:

Do you mean 9700k, cause 9900k's are like 150 pounds more than a 3700x (£480 vs £320).

I was assuming he meant the price he can actually get it for at the moment since there are markups when the thing is available at all.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
With 2 different motherboards and different sticks of RAM I couldn’t even get my machine to POST with GDM disabled on my 2700x.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Palladium posted:

I'm not all that familiar with bleeding edge server platforms, but AMD forcing Intel to give up to 80% list price discounts is :lol:

It’s not as big of a deal as it sounds. No one ever pays list price in the professional space. Everyone negotiates and 10-25% of list price is pretty common once you get into bulk/volume.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Measly Twerp posted:

GutBomb, 80% off of list price is in the range of 10-25% of the total list price.

Yes that's what I was saying... That 80% off the list price is a commonly negotiated endpoint when buying parts in bulk / software in volume.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sincx posted:

Unless I'm running a heavily multithreaded workload, is it correct to assume that any performance gain would be minimal, going from a 6850k with an all-core OC of 4.2 GHz to a 3900X?

I think you’d probably notice a difference. Clock for clock, the 3900x has better IPC and doesn’t have performance limited by the intel security mitigations. It’s also more efficient and probably a bit cooler. There’s less to tweak since it’s pretty much maxed out out of the box, but for performance I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t regret it. Plus, selling the motherboard and cpu on the secondary market you might be able to pay for most if not all of the new parts you’d need.

Plus you’d have the headroom of having double the cores if that ever becomes relevant to you.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I went from a 25” 1440p 60hz IPS panel to a 27” 1440p 144hz TN panel and I can’t see a difference in color or viewing angle. All I notice is that the refresh rate makes everything smoother and obviously the screen is a little bigger.

The difference between IPS and TN is super overblown (unless you’re doing pro poo poo I guess).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Combat Pretzel posted:

The sawtooth pattern is Precision Boost doing its thing. You'd either need to disable it, or hammer the fan curve into shape accordingly. Latter would be annoying I'd figure, especially if you value silence and want the fans running as slowly as possible, you'll have a steep ramp at the end of the curve, and it'll make even more of a ruckus when the sawtoothing strays into that part (say during warmer days).

Watercooling would only work, if the fans are run based on the water temperature. There's maybe AIOs out there that do that stock, IDK. If you'd plug the fans into the mainboard headers, they'd still react directly to CPU temps and the sawtoothing.

All AIOs control their fans based on water temp by default.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Craptacular! posted:

Nothing wrong with this. I’m quite an amateur RGB person figuring all this out, but other than graphics cards I’m not going to buy parts that are incompatible with both Corsair and MSI lighting engines. I HAVE SOENT 20% more for similar performing parts that have RGB when I bought memory at the height of the cartel monopoly. And I avoid anything from NZXT that requires their software because I don’t want to install it.

I presently trying to find some piece of Razer equipment that doesn’t make me vomit so that I can use their game-themed color profiles. The idea of the stuff in my glassy PC case changing colors when I swap Overwatch heroes (and put in my piddling bronze tier performance) seems pretty cool. I will probably buy Corsair’s CPU cooler, but integration with the Razer thing makes the Thermaltake product compelling, I gotta admit. Thermaltake is pretty much the only brand doing Razer Chroma on their fans and cooler mounts.

There’s no reason to shame this stuff, I used to in the old days but that’s because people were drilling holes into sheet metal to fit acrylic windows to put aftermarket lighting in there to make their PCs look like the matrix. Since it stopped being an aftermarket modder thing and became part of stock hardware I’ve really gotten into it. I can have a “cool PC” and not have to break warranties. What’s not to like.

I think you maybe just figured it out. Why give APU users any assistance towards playable gaming when AMD would rather they add in a graphics card?

They cheese off Vega card owners to do it, maybe they’re banking on there not being that many.

If you’re already using Corsair software you can set per-game profiles in there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Paul MaudDib posted:

You want to stay below 75C if possible, yours is a fine result as long as it's boosting properly.

75c sounds very conservative. Throttle temp is 95c and that’s nowhere near anything that would cause damage or degradation.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

taqueso posted:

Is that really true about crysis? I thought I was just being silly.

I have a 9900k overclocked to an all core boost of 5.1ghz with an RTX 2080 and with everything turned all the way up (except MSAA which I have set to 2x) I get between 70 and 90 FPS on my 2560x1080 ultrawide monitor. It’s not as much as I would expect from a game from 2007 but it’s not horrible.

AMD suffers more simply because of clocks. I was stuck around 50fps with the same settings on a 2700x/1080ti.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 6, 2020

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Scavenged a 2200G with broken pins, soldered some new ones into place. Hence, AMD.

That’s pretty cool. That being said, you just need a machine that uploads gcode to an array of CNC machines right? Why not just use a raspberry pi for that (could be had for like, $30) and use your salvaged/refurbished CPU for something more interesting?

That cpu just seems overkill for that task and the board would cost a lot more than that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is anything on the current consoles even running at 4k60 (or even 30 for that matter) at a real 4K resolution? I’m not sure how the Xbox one x does it but the ps4 pro does some checkerboard rendering thing so the resolution is actually 1080p or lower frames rendering in a checkerboard pattern that alternates every frame so each frame is the same number of pixels as 1080p. Lots of games don’t even hit a true 1080p internal resolution for their 4K output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

VelociBacon posted:

Recently picked up an AMD Athelon 5350 APU with Asrock AM1H-ITX from SA-Mart (Hi tuyop if you're in this thread). I'm enjoying playing around with it, I haven't had an AMD processor since my black edition 955 or something back in the day.

I'm curious about how the throttling works - I'm not seeing the frequency dropping at all even with cores 3+4 at 0% usage and cores 1+2 at 10% or less. It's always at 2.05ghz and 1.3v vcore. While it's only drawing around 3w total power to CPU according to hwinfo64 (seems extremely low?), I'd like it to throttle the frequency if it's supposed to like the intel processors I'm used to. Is this just an AMD thing? I've reset uefi to default and it's not changed anything. I checked with only CPU-Z also and still found the system not throttling the frequency/vcore.

I'm also running the system with a 19v 65w DC power adapter, it's one of the features of the mobo.

Is my system throttling as designed? Thanks.

Might be a dumb question but have you checked your windows power plan? If it’s set to high performance it won’t throttle down.