Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I've used the same Thermalright tower cooler since the 1st gen i7s and as long as the mounting setups don't change drastically I'm going to keep doing that until I can't. An AIO would've needed replacing years ago. I'm not convinced an AIO could be quieter as it was originally designed to for passively mounting on overclocked nehalem chips so it barely needs airflow. I think I even still have a mounting kit for my old ultra 120 extreme cooler that supports modern AMD chips around somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Fabulousity posted:

For Sandy Bridge it'd probably be the 2600K. Whoever got on that train back in the day got to ride it for a looooong time if they wanted.
2011 to late 2018 for me. Was a good run at 4.5ghz from day one. When I bought it everyone was saying get a 2500k instead, but getting a Q6600 (when everyone was buying dual-cores) ultimately worked out better in the long run so I figured the HT couldn't hurt. Was nice not to have to worry about background tasks at all and it kept up better than a 2500k would have done. Probably could have kept on using it, but between the spectre/meltdown fixes hitting it hard and wanting to try out a high-refresh monitor it was time to move on.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Klyith posted:

That's normal for the stock cooler. They don't thermal throttle until 95, but that's still safe -- the CPU is faster at cutting power than the heat is at damaging anything.

And no, AMD chips are actually cool compared to intel these days! Intel raised their TJmax to 100C because they're so hot. Modern silicon can get pretty drat hot before it hurts itself.
Intel actually allowed raising it to 110C with the 9-series since anything using enough AVX can push 100C on the 9700k/9900k even at stock.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
My phanteks full tower case fits an excessive number of drives and came with a ton of drive cages built in. I think by default it can fit 6 HDD/SSDs plus another 3x 2.5"-only mounts without needing to modify anything.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

redeyes posted:

LOL jokes on you, that is BIOSTAR. Basically the worst motherboard vendor that exists.
Elitegroup Computer Systems might have something to say about that.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

redeyes posted:

Sorry, you win this argument. But I think they died?
Apparently not. Their site lists some terrible 10th gen boards but god knows where they can sell them:
https://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Model/EN/Socket%201200/Motherboard/Socket%201200/7

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a thousand watts seems pretty edge case to me unless you are doing a hardcore multi GPU workstation
I do this so I can run a fairly beefy system mostly fanless. I traded a 280X to a miner in 2014 for my current SS-1050XM2 PSU and ran it for seven years. Planning a replacement soon just due to it being out of warranty, but I could probably get ten+ years out of it if I wanted. I could go with a good 850W unit instead but I've gotten used to the low noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
The last times chipset fans were used (socket 939/775) most of them died early. More than the noise, it's introducing a tiny lovely point of failure a few years down the line, or best case adding a part that needs to be replaced. Even if you want to swap it out for a better chipset heatsink you'll need to deal with the headache of pulling the board.