Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I've been a long term BNL lover. Gordon was actually the first CD I bought in high school on a whim because it was popular, and then realized I can like music because I enjoy listening to it, not just because it's popular. I also think it's a bummer that for most people, especially in the US, they are seen as a flash-in-the-pan gimmick band to be mentioned in the same breath as Deep Blue Something or Semisonic, because the diversity of their songs and the great lyricisms (that sometimes went shockingly dark for a song that had a catchy pop hook) made them so much more to me. I think some people wrote them off and never gave them a chance, which I can fully understand.

My EXTREMELY IMPORTANT OPINIONS ON THE BAND to note:

- I agree that Maroon is their best and most cohesive album from start to finish.

- While I am not an "Ed hater" per se, I would say I enjoy Steven's songs more. They both have their share of pop hooks, maybe Ed is a little better in that regard, but almost every BNL album before Steven's departure would have at least one song that hits you in the gut with sadness: War on Drugs, The Wrong Man Was Convicted, Break Your Heart, etc. Only "When I Fall" manages to come close. Also, while I would agree that neither of them have been as good separated as they were when they were together, Steven's solo albums are certainly more interesting. Meanwhile, I could probably make one album's worth of songs I don't want to skip out of the last 3 BNL releases.

- The thing I loved the most was seeing them in concert. They were a tight professional band but were also very relaxed and open to improvisation and asides that made it a very entertaining experience. Rock Spectacle is pretty good to listen to but still doesn't really capture the experience properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU