Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I tried buying a movie on iTunes (STAR WARS ep. 7) and, well. apparently something changed and my PC setup is no longer HDCP compliant. so I can't play it full res. plus, it's compressed down to only 5.2 GB? like, they call that high definition?? that's practically a scene release squeezed into a DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

so I went to a local store and bought the blu ray and put it in my PLAYSTATION 4. instantly plays just fine with crystal clear picture and audio. seamless experience. who gives a gently caress that i have to keep a plastic disc around

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

because all the movie companies have gone all lovely about exclusive streaming platforms and stuff disc netflix is better than it's ever been especially since blu-rays don't get scratched as easily as dvds

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
physical media is dying, op!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

just go to the public library which is like an old fashioned video store that you don't have to pay to borrow from because taxes. also there are books there not just dvds and blurays

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
lol if you didnt burn your library as a misguided teenager

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol, let me get off the couch, put pants on, get in the car, drive to the wherever it is they sell movies these days, pay for box with a plastic disc in it, drive home, unwrap it, put it in my video james console, wait for it to do a firmware update, then use a controller to play back.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

lmao at paying for content

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
im thinking about buying the planets earth on bluray and watching them on my ps4 op

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The Management posted:

lol, let me get off the couch, put pants on, get in the car, drive to the wherever it is they sell movies these days, pay for box with a plastic disc in it, drive home, unwrap it, put it in my video james console, wait for it to do a firmware update, then use a controller to play back.

I didn't have to wait for a firmware update because PS4 automatically downloads updates in sleep mode

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my Xbox one is a piece of poo poo I regret being given it as a gift in 2013 also related I went to my parents house and found my playstation that I bought in 1996 in the wardrobe I'm too loving old anyway one more thing for the swamp

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yo apparently those old playstations have really good audio what for listening to CDs on

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the CD collection is in the swamp too

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

is there an acceptable way to rip blurays without relying on a complex toolchain of ultra-grognardy programs full of complex encoding options that only pagancow would understand? does it still take hours and hours for a single movie? tia.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

yo apparently those old playstations have really good audio what for listening to CDs on

this is pretty funny audiophile folklore

burning swine
May 26, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

is there an acceptable way to rip blurays without relying on a complex toolchain of ultra-grognardy programs full of complex encoding options that only pagancow would understand? does it still take hours and hours for a single movie? tia.

ripping blu-rays is still a clusterfuck

burning swine
May 26, 2004

SAME OP

i play them on the pc tho with a blu-ray drive and anydvd + vlc

they look perfect

don't tell pagancow

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

SO DEMANDING posted:

your blu ray didn't come with an ultraviolet code nobody uses?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

silver aircon is pagancow

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

SO DEMANDING posted:

you can just use makemkv

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i rip my blurays with makemkv and then the files sit there forever cause i never get around to watching the movie

makemkv has a monthly serial on their forums to give you full functionality cause it's free while in beta

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

if you're a storage baller, remuxes with MKVToolNix are v straightforward

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Silver Alicorn posted:

isn't the ps3 still one of the top 5 blu-ray players? although that might not be due to picture quality

e: except for the first gen unless you really like your blu-ray player to attempt to take off using its cooling fan

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the only blu ray i own is lotr theatrical editions

they're more tightly paced and generally better films than the extended versions

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

iirc the first gen ps3 is still the only way to rip SACDs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

carry on then posted:

isn't the ps3 still one of the top 5 blu-ray players? although that might not be due to picture quality

e: except for the first gen unless you really like your blu-ray player to attempt to take off using its cooling fan

PCMag did this, and they were basically saying "hey look it's also a video games"

but for real, ps3/ps4 is the best because you can also use it as a netflix/youtube/hulu box and not worry about being dropped for support because it's a big flagship product

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

or you can get an apple TV like an adult

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

then use a controller to play back.

lol if you can't control your ps4 with the remote that came with your tv

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i buy every movie on blu ray, rip it to my NAS, then play off appletv 4 the raw blu ray rip off the nas while the discs stay on the shelf

275 movies as of today

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if I was creating a high def video format, I would probably not name it something close to blurry

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
FYI: like half of the '4K' blu-ray releases are upscaled 2K DIs

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
4k is a hilarious ripoff because tv manufacturers are desperate for more sales and are grasping at any possible gimmick to create a thee to four year refresh cycle

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

blurays are very pretty

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Stymie posted:

4k is a hilarious ripoff because tv manufacturers are desperate for more sales and are grasping at any possible gimmick to create a thee to four year refresh cycle

yeah

still a better bet than the debacle that was 3d but lol at the diminishing returns from these schemes

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the Xbox one has blu ray and all sorts of other television applications for your viewing pleasure. take heart in the futuristic wonder of yelling "CORTANA, OPEN THAT BLU RAY!" at your television set.

what a time to be alive

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

or you can get an apple TV like an adult

The Apple TV stutters and drops frames like crazy when playing video scenes with a lot going on, while the PS3 released over a decade a go does not.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

emoji posted:

The Apple TV stutters and drops frames like crazy when playing video scenes with a lot going on, while the PS3 released over a decade a go does not.

try the new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Sure, I'll buy the newer version of the product that was intentionally hamstringed and has the laggiest UI ever made and doesn't support basic stuff like Amazon video even tho refrigerators support that, even though all that stuff could be fixed with a basic update. Or I could use the superior PS3, whose only disadvantage is size and Apple couldn't even be bothered to make their new one in stick form.

• Locked thread