Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
plays blu ray direct rips off a nas without transcoding tho so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Sweevo posted:

lmao at paying for content

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sniep posted:

i buy every movie on blu ray, rip it to my NAS, then play off appletv 4 the raw blu ray rip off the nas while the discs stay on the shelf

275 movies as of today

what's your method? just straight dump to mkv with makemkv? re-encode at all?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

emoji posted:

Sure, I'll buy the newer version of the product that was intentionally hamstringed and has the laggiest UI ever made and doesn't support basic stuff like Amazon video even tho refrigerators support that, even though all that stuff could be fixed with a basic update. Or I could use the superior PS3, whose only disadvantage is size and Apple couldn't even be bothered to make their new one in stick form.

lol so wrong. apple tv 2/3 are miraculously responsive compared to its contemporaries like roku boxes around 2010. 4 is even better, it's the fastest box out there.

amazon video isn't on apple tv because amazon chooses not to put it there. not apple's fault.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Kirk posted:

physical media is dying, op!

consuming media makes you obsolete

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

SO DEMANDING posted:

what's your method? just straight dump to mkv with makemkv? re-encode at all?

yep, nope

raw rip to mkv onto NAS, and play on ATV4 with Infuse

no reencoding or transcoding at any step

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Last Chance posted:

lol so wrong. apple tv 2/3 are miraculously responsive compared to its contemporaries like roku boxes around 2010. 4 is even better, it's the fastest box out there.

amazon video isn't on apple tv because amazon chooses not to put it there. not apple's fault.

gotta sell those kindle fire sticks

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

do they even make money on those

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Last Chance posted:

I bet Apple could put it on there if they tried, so maybe it is

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

what?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

no, they couldn't.

legally or technologically

they would have to negotiate with amazon to pay them for their content and to develop an app for the apple tv which is a direct competing device against bezos stick. it would die at that level, and most likely already has.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I'm pretty sure apple and amazon have a few bob to make it happen

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
let me rephrase;

i would bet a not-insignificant amount of money that bezos specifically and in nonnegotiable terms refuses to allow conflation between the Amazon Prime content brand with apple brand consumption devices.

im honestly surprised there's a kindle iphone app, but that avoids the whole benefit of a kindle

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it doesnt make a lot of sense considering random 'smart' tvs and poo poo have it. what would be the point?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the only angle i can think of is to promote people buying fire devices but like i said its on every last piece of lovely hardware like refrigerators and washing machines soo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
beats me, just sayin' im preeeeeetttty sure there's angry C level influence somewhere.

maybe they'll get over it, i'd sure welcome it since i use prime as well and dont want another settop box

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Last Chance posted:

I have an Apple TV and a PS3 hooked up right now. I'm not comparing the Apple TV to a lovely Roku. It's still ridiculously more laggy UI-wise and drops crazy frames compared to a decade-old PS3, and the interfaces for video services are worse. Deal with it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
outdated hardware: not so good

got it

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
There's a chip in there that decodes H.264 just like every other device on the planet made in the last 10 years. The lagging is purely bad software because the hardware is more than powerful enough (evidence: the 11 year old PS3 has superior performance).

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
apples tv prior to 4 suck i give you that, never claimed otherwise

the 4 resolves all these issues though

i will proceed to set this ticket to closed

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i don't even have anything that plays physical media anymore. like even my car only takes a usb stick or bluetooth.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I'm saying, why should I trust the product at all that had 3 generations to not suck, with the technology available to work fine with the first generation. And they made the new Apple TV case bigger for no reason and I would have considered it if it was a stick that could be forgotten about forever. The teardown shows it can fit into a stick.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i like my hd-dvd, op

rip

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

i don't even have anything that plays physical media anymore. like even my car only takes a usb stick or bluetooth.

i thought this until i discovered theres a cd player hidden in my cars glove box. hosed up but true!

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

you could make video-cds for your dreamcast

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

OldAlias posted:

you could make video-cds for your dreamcast

oh poo poo I do still have that in a box in the basement. lmao.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
blu ray is good OP

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

emoji posted:

There's a chip in there that decodes H.264 just like every other device on the planet made in the last 10 years. The lagging is purely bad software because the hardware is more than powerful enough (evidence: the 11 year old PS3 has superior performance).
bzzt

ive never seen my third gen apple tv drop frames. ever. it does take a while between views when opening a new app or video, but it still plays everything perfectly and there's no interface lag whatsoever. netflix works, 1080p itunes stuff i've bought works, airplay, plex via airplay from phone.

still a great product and works great in my spare room

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i use a chromecast op and rent movies or buy shows on google play.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm trying to get away from the google ecosystem

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Last Chance posted:

bzzt

ive never seen my third gen apple tv drop frames. ever. it does take a while between views when opening a new app or video, but it still plays everything perfectly and there's no interface lag whatsoever. netflix works, 1080p itunes stuff i've bought works, airplay, plex via airplay from phone.

I literally had to dig out the PS3 and install Plex on it mid-episode bc the frame dropping was unwatchable on my 3rd gen Apple TV. It blew me away how much better the PS3 was for media, considering it's ancient. Now it stays hooked up.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Last Chance posted:

bzzt

just a quick fyi: if you want to troll, it's more effective if you don't just post straight-up lies

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Last Chance posted:

bzzt

wow didnt know the space under Tim Cook's desk, where you live, to suck him off daily, had a spare room.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

wow didnt know the space under Tim Cook's desk, where you live, to suck him off daily, had a spare room.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Smythe posted:

i use a chromecast op and rent movies or buy shows on google play.

same google needs my kiwi bucks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Smythe posted:

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
imo if you post in yospos but didn't build a monster htpc that supports all media types stored on your beefy media nas and also it can play all video games at incredible resolution then idk try building a sick htpc to do all that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
kiss my loving rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

angry_keebler posted:

imo if you post in yospos but didn't build a monster htpc that supports all media types stored on your beefy media nas and also it can play all video games at incredible resolution then idk try building a sick htpc to do all that

huh, didn't think about that..

lemme redo my living room to center around a single dude using a computer

• Locked thread