Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3450958/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDcAlo8i2y8 - First Full Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCzYQQiyshA - Final Trailer

Director: Matt Reeves (The Batman, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Cloverfield, Let Me In)

Release - July 14th

Starring : Andy Serkis, Woody Harrelson, Steve Zahn, Karin Konoval

After the events of Rise of the Planet of the Apes humanity is engaged in a full scale conflict with the apes. As a ruthless military leader (Woody Harrelson) begins turn the tide of the war; Cesar (Andy Serkis) must decide to continue to merely fight for survival or, faced with an opponent who doesn't want to co-exist, go on the offensive against mankind.

Some set pics for a more complete OP

504 posted:

is Marky mark in this one?

No but I wish they would bring back Estella Warren. It's gotta cost next to nothing to bring her on-board

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
is Marky mark in this one?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was originally very cynical about the first one, but then I saw it and loved it.

Guess they finally made a monkey out of me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes good? I got the impression it took place in like an almost all of humanity is gone kind of place so does this new movie take place before it?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Neo Rasa posted:

Was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes good? I got the impression it took place in like an almost all of humanity is gone kind of place so does this new movie take place before it?

It was pretty great, actually.

This movie is a sequel, not a prequel. Chronological order of the new movies goes Rise, then Dawn, then War. It'll make sense after you watch Rise as to why things appear the way they do, and the trailers left out a lot about the plot and the themes of the movie which ended up being very pleasant surprises.

Swapping out James Franco for Jason Clarke was also a good call too.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Where does James Franco's The Ape fit into the timeline?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The first two are really drat good and I'm surprised the series never got super huge.

I mean they do well but no one seems to talk about them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ElectricSheep posted:

It was pretty great, actually.

This movie is a sequel, not a prequel. Chronological order of the new movies goes Rise, then Dawn, then War. It'll make sense after you watch Rise as to why things appear the way they do, and the trailers left out a lot about the plot and the themes of the movie which ended up being very pleasant surprises.

Swapping out James Franco for Jason Clarke was also a good call too.

Swapping in Jason Clarke is never a good idea.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Jason Clarke is like Jeremy Renner. He's a fantastic character actor who kinda gets wasted being put in boring lead roles. Clarke and James Franco come out about the same in their films: fine, but inconsequential.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That works out pretty well in these movies though, because the apes are more interesting.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Hell yeah. My boy Maurice is the #1 reason to watch the movies.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I went to a double-feature of Rise and Dawn when Dawn came out at my local AMC. It was a blast, and I even won some prizes by winning a trivia thing in the intermission between films.

I hope AMC does a triple feature this year. If they do, I'm going.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Anyone have the source on the story about Woody Harrelson being all "I'm gonna be an ape right?" and him trying to convince the director to make him an ape or something like that?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Nemo posted:

Anyone have the source on the story about Woody Harrelson being all "I'm gonna be an ape right?" and him trying to convince the director to make him an ape or something like that?

I googled and it was just one line he said in an interview.
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1638319/woody-harrelson-asked-to-play-an-ape-in-planet-of-the-apes-but-they-werent-having-it

I haven't seen any of these new Apes movies, will I be lost with this new one?

I did see Beneath the Planet of the Apes, good movie, good ending.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

got any sevens posted:

I googled and it was just one line he said in an interview.
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1638319/woody-harrelson-asked-to-play-an-ape-in-planet-of-the-apes-but-they-werent-having-it

I haven't seen any of these new Apes movies, will I be lost with this new one?

I did see Beneath the Planet of the Apes, good movie, good ending.

We don't know how much this movie will lean on the other two, but I'd guess you'd be best served by watching the previous two.

Which you should do. Because they're great.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I'm looking forward to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A60BPabdFoY

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think you'd lose a decent amount by not knowing how amazing Caesar is as a character. But I'm guessing the plot will make sense just fine.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

No reason not to watch the first two. The first is surprisingly sweet/sad and Franco does a decent straight man in it. The second is very entertaining. Both are good.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Yeah its weird, the first two movies are actually quite well made and good to watch, yet the series really doesn't seem that 'huge'. I hope they did alright and this one does too, they deserve it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Early reviews have been pretty laudatory, especially of Andy Serkis who hopefully finally gets some love come award time. Crazy to think that this was somewhat expected of a film in a summer action trilogy

io9 posted:

When War for the Planet of the Apes ended, I was unable to move. Glued to my seat, I sat dumbfounded at the achievement I’d just witnessed: an exquisitely filmed, emotionally stunning film that challenges what a big-budget, summer blockbuster is supposed to be. And it’s about a planet of apes.
The crazy thing is, the movie makes this look easy. The story isn’t overly complex. But each character has their own role and arc, the relationships are important, set pieces have consequences beyond just spectacle, and character drives story instead of the other way around. The film does everything a great movie should do.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-is-one-of-the-best-and-b-1796373588

The Village Voice posted:

I don’t know when it happened, but it happened. Somehow, while we were worrying about superheroes and star destroyers and hot rods and whether Captain America could beat up Superman or whatever, the goddamned Planet of the Apes movies became the most vital and resonant big-budget film series in the contemporary movie firmament. And they did it with the most confrontational of high concepts: Humans suck, and now the apes are the good guys.
https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/06/26/monkey-shines-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-is-the-most-vital-blockbuster-in-years/

Slashfilm posted:

With this trilogy of films, we follow Caesar through an evolution that feels similar to the journey that Wolverine has taken on the big screen, from his introduction in X-Men through this year’s powerful Logan. Caesar isn’t human, but he is a mutant, a product of human experiment, one who becomes a respected leader but also has to come to terms with the more troubling events that led to his place in his life, specifically his decision to kill the rebellious Koba in Dawn.
http://www.slashfilm.com/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-review/

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I saw the first one with James Franco years ago. I never saw the second one, and everyone says it's much better than the first. I guess I should pick it up at redbox or something before this one comes out, eh?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

These movies got me going ape poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlaVBQ7XTWM

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Every Planet of the Apes movie not directed by Tim Burton is cool and good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neo Rasa posted:

I got bored with it honestly. I absolutely loved Rise (and the original Charlton Heston film) but Dawn seemed to degenerate into too many action sequences and lacked the emotional investments that Rise gave us. By the end it was just violence and fighting. I admit it was very well made but it failed to hold my interest.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BiggerBoat posted:

I got bored with it honestly. I absolutely loved Rise (and the original Charlton Heston film) but Dawn seemed to degenerate into too many action sequences and lacked the emotional investments that Rise gave us. By the end it was just violence and fighting. I admit it was very well made but it failed to hold my interest.

I feel like I didn't watch the same movie, because the final struggle vs Koba was really emotional.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The first was definitely better than the second, but the second was still pretty good.

Nothing can ever compare to Caesar saying "NO!!!!" in the first movie though, that gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I feel like I didn't watch the same movie, because the final struggle vs Koba was really emotional.

It was. I just thought the Caesar, senile father in law, apes in jail, and Franco's powerlessness as a guardian from Rise resonated a lot more. Dawn was good but had too much fighting for my taste. The previews for the new film have me a little concerned too to be honest. I like Woody Harrelson but I'm getting a weird overall vibe so far. Both movies have been good so I'll probably see the third one but I'm not expecting much for some reason.

Also, great thread title, OP

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Amc is doing a triple feature at some locations.

Today, starting at four pm. Im so excited.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I watched Dawn yesterday and liked it a lot. I have to give it to the effects people again the level of expressiveness they were able to give the apes is awesome. Also my wife is from San Francisco and was saying all of the street/building placement is super geographically accurate to reality and recognized most of the streets/interiors/etc. we see on site which I can appreciate since it'd be easy to not give as much of a poo poo about that.

That final battle was pretty emotional, I really appreciate how much they committed to having the apes be characters. The original Planet of the Apes isn't a subtle movie but the Tim Burton was was embarrassing with how flat and cardboard cutout every character was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I watched Dawn yesterday and liked it a lot. I have to give it to the effects people again the level of expressiveness they were able to give the apes is awesome. Also my wife is from San Francisco and was saying all of the street/building placement is super geographically accurate to reality and recognized most of the streets/interiors/etc. we see on site which I can appreciate since it'd be easy to not give as much of a poo poo about that.

That final battle was pretty emotional, I really appreciate how much they committed to having the apes be characters. The original Planet of the Apes isn't a subtle movie but the Tim Burton was was embarrassing with how flat and cardboard cutout every character was.

I think part of what makes the film work is that it isn't embarrassed by the concept. Too many films based on 'hokey' old ideas tend to lean too heavily into being ashamed of what they're working on and it makes the product feel halfhearted or too self-conscious but instead it just goes "yep, this is the film we're doing, deal with it" and it works out better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Was hoping this thread would get resurrected. The AV Club review confirmed basically what I expected from this film.

http://www.avclub.com/review/ambitious-war-planet-apes-ends-surrendering-formul-257757

Seems like it's "good enough, but..." for the most part so I'll watch it eventually but will probably wait for Netflix so I can do a double feature with Skull Island and have ape night.

I also think it's neat that Andy Serkis has basically created his own entire genre of acting and has been for like 15 years now; to the point that probably nobody even recognizes him walking down the street but he's famous as hell. I can't think of a parallel. Lon Cheney or Boris Karloff maybe but think about how long ago that was.

FWIW, AV Club also has a retrospective of the original 4 films up that's worth a read if anyone is into it.

http://www.avclub.com/article/original-planet-apes-series-became-more-daring-mov-257777

I only ever really cared for the original but when I was a kid, POTA poo poo was everywhere. Toys, cartoons, a TV show.... I remember being allowed to stay up late and watch the original Heston film and was blown away. Still holds up. I am old.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Gonna go see this in a few hours - was a top up between Apes and Spiderman and I figured a Marvel movie is a Marvel movie and this was at least going to be a little different. Will post my thoughts in here tomorrow probably :).

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

I also think it's neat that Andy Serkis has basically created his own entire genre of acting and has been for like 15 years now; to the point that probably nobody even recognizes him walking down the street but he's famous as hell. I can't think of a parallel. Lon Cheney or Boris Karloff maybe but think about how long ago that was.

Everyone in VFX hates him for it because he takes credit away from the sculptors and animators who are responsible for the facial animation and performance of the CGI characters. There's nothing Serkis does that can't be done with hundreds of other (even amateur) actors. His performances with the head cameras and motion capture suit are purely for reference for the animators and sculptors, and the final product is heavily changed and polished by the animators and the director of the film. High-end VFX is still very cloak-and-dagger and difficult to understand for the layperson, so I suppose it's rife for an unblushing and devious self-promoter like Serkis to take credit for things he shouldn't.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Quanta posted:

There's nothing Serkis does that can't be done with hundreds of other (even amateur) actors.
I dunno I'd rather hire one guy than hundreds of others, seems easier.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I heard the next Kong movie will have hundreds of amateur actors standing on each others shoulders to form the titular monster.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Was hoping this thread would get resurrected. The AV Club review confirmed basically what I expected from this film.

http://www.avclub.com/review/ambitious-war-planet-apes-ends-surrendering-formul-257757

Seems like it's "good enough, but..." for the most part so I'll watch it eventually but will probably wait for Netflix so I can do a double feature with Skull Island and GO APE.

FWIW, AV Club also has a retrospective of the original 4 films up that's worth a read if anyone is into it.

http://www.avclub.com/article/original-planet-apes-series-became-more-daring-mov-257777

I only ever really cared for the original but when I was a kid, POTA poo poo was everywhere. Toys, cartoons, a TV show.... I remember being allowed to stay up late and watch the original Heston film and was blown away. Still holds up. I am old.

Hell yes I was super into anything Planet of the Apes. I even watched that TV show when some station was showing reruns of it, even as a kid I could tell it was crap but hey, Planet of the Apes!

I don't think I "liked" any of the sequels either but I really appreciated how out there they went. Like Planet of the Apes has a downer ending but Beneath's ending? Holy poo poo. Plus they had a single continuous time paradox story that finally breaks with Battle for Planet Apes. The part in Beneath where they walk around sunken/ruined NYC, the mutated psychic faction that pops up in some of the stuff, it's a crazy world.

FYI if anyone has T-Mobile, if you download that T-Mobile Tuesday app they have a deal where you can get a War for the Planet of the Apes ticket for ***$4***, that's pretty awesome. My wife and I are seeing it this weekend, probably would have waited for Netflix otherwise. It was painless, you just get a coupon code from T-Mobile and then buy the tickets through Atom and use the code there.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 12, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I've never seen Rise and Dawn. Will I be lost if I see this?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Probably not lost, but you owe it to yourself to see the first two. They are really good and you get to know the characters (apes).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You should probably watch them first. I mean I doubt this one will be incoherent but they're pretty good films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
This one references stuff like Koba and the original group (Maurice/Rocket) so you should watch the first couple to get the most out of it.

It has a text recap at the start so you get the gist of the main plots though.

• Locked thread