Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

By the book, Halcyon City, no gimmicks on my end.

The one challenge is I want to keep backstories to 2000 characters, coincidentally the discord app's message limit. After all, it's a classic trope of comic book fiction that characters' full backstories only really get fleshed out over time, through flashbacks and whatnot. I'll be asking questions so you'll still get to wax poetic probably... as long as you can keep those answers also to their character limits.

https://discord.gg/bJnW6yd

I'll add more to the OP as we go!

NPCs

Prince Tamrick-white boy; anachronistic costume; light elemental magic and sword skills; Prince of the Hume Kingdom.
Immortal Demon Morgul- demon man; no body or demonic body; dark costume; dark magic and immortality; Dark Dictator.
Stryder- white man; cyborg; techie and cyborg guerrila fighter; Team Iron Justice.
Oni Mask- asian woman; ancient mask; demon form; Team Togami.
Justice Claw- asian man; monstrous shapeshifting arm; Team Togami.
Jack of Thorns- asian boy; complicated costume; vines and cards; looking for a team.
Amy
Arcana
Nereid- greek girl; mermaid themed costume; water mage and oracle; looking for a team.
White- south asian man; fancy suit; psionics + gadgets; one of the older Modern Age villains.
Crimson Fist- white boy; school uniform; martial arts + energy blasts; an independent Modern Age hero.
Grace- black girl; coordinated costume; dancer-mage; partner of Poise.
Poise- black boy; coordinated costume; dancer-mage; parther of Grace.
Memoriam- white man; old; white wizard robes; necromancy; silver aged.
Font- latinx transwoman; professorial clothes; eidetic memory and astral projection; supers news correspondent for the Halcyon Star.
Wolfsbane- white girl; bloodborne hunter's costume; exorcist tools and temporary blessings; member of Night Watchers.
Vinnie Cropper- black boy; preppy; ex boyfriend of Lydia/Styx.
Ma Kaneda
Pa Kaneda
Hana Kaneda-asian girl; school uniform; precognition and martial arts.
Nines- white boy; stylish clothes; shadow mastery; looking for a team.
Valerie Weiger- white woman; jacket and slacks; tactical stealth suit; AEGIS recruiter.
Qīng Líng, Damselfly- asian girl; lace-patterned and iridescent costume; limited flight and phasing; thief.
Chevalier- black man; traditional costume; impossible dueling skills; silver age.
Mastermind- white girl; cyborg; superhuman intelligence, hacking, cyberwarfare; independent contractor villain.
Kensei- asian man; formal clothing; character mask; omni-swords, martial arts; bronze.

Organizations
Fight Girls
Santiago Foundation- super genius think tank, secret amoral research.
Night Watchers- group of heroes, bronze age, no supers, who fight immortals and haunts.
The Ivory Tower- group of heroes, silver age, all supers and scientists seeking ways to use their powers for good.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Jul 13, 2017 around 20:02

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Interest post for an Outsider

- - -

There used to be a show. A fantasy adventure, wildly popular, called Legend of Legallia. The story of a collections of heroes fighting the Immortal Demon Morgul! Who conquered their worlds. With the power of destiny the five unlikely friends, led by Prince Tamrick. Chased the monster from dimension to dimension. Liberating world after world. It ran for six seasons. But the final episode never played. The show was dropped suddenly, unfinished. Years passed. Only a cult following remained. Still wondering what would have happened in that final episode...

Then one day, downtown was rocked by a rift being torn in the sky! From the rift walked Prince Tamrick, his skin ashen, his eyes crimson. Following him, came only one other person. The archer, Rene. Her guns in hand, she confronted the possessed prince. Filled with the immortal essence of their enemy. The rift closed behind her. Trapping the two of them in this world.

Rene is "Flame Dancer" a gun fighter, able to construct a selection of powerful weapons in her magic hammerspace to summon at any time. Though a stranger to this world, she's determined to save her companion. Rene doesn't let her predicament get her down. She's cheerful, full of energy, loves to dance and sing. She working tirelessly to beat the monster which stole her friend and rewrite the ending of the final episode.

• Where do you come from?

Some people tell me I come from the TV... I, um, don't know what that means.

• Why did you come to Earth?

I chased Morgul! To try and get Prince Tamrick back, and stop him once and for all!

• Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?

I'm... uh, trapped... I can't open the gates myself, I don't have the power. Plus, on the bright side, it's kinda cool here!

• Why do your people want you to come home?

Because it's my home. I speak to them sometimes, they can open little gates to send me supplies. But we've not worked out how to get a person through, not yet anyway.

• Why do you care about the team?

I'm alone in this world... they took me in, showed me kindness, they're helping me adjust, so many rules to remember. I'd have probably already messed up big time without them!

What rule or law from Legallia do you miss the most, that Halcyon city sure could use?

The Laws of Drakeblood! Magically binding rules of engagement passed down by the gods! 'Ye cannot harm the innocent.' was the one everyone knew, but there were others as well. But the moment we jumped through the first gate, we were beyond the reach of our gods. I've always hoped to find their light and protection again

Do you love the Prince, does he love you? There's a great debate about it on the internet. Learn anything useful reading it?

L-Love? I, um, well... wow! Uuuh... that's kinda a... touchy subject... I'm a rescued slave girl. He's a prince! There's definitely.... ah, 'mutual respect' between us. But it can NEVER be more then that. No matter what I feel- ah! Um, not that I feel anything! Because I don't. Please stop looking at me like that.

I mean, I've seen the innerbet, ack, sorry, *internet*. Honestly, it's a bit scary how much they know about us. I guess it's good that the tails of our deeds have spread so far and wide! But... they know about things WE never knew about! It's a goldmine of information!

There's a support group for integrating "foreign" heroes like you into Halcyon City, they've given you a stipend and a cell phone and helped you establish an identity here. What are you most excited for now that you're official a citizen?

Well, there's all this food I want to try! And the music! Oh gods your music! I've already started downloading a lot of it onto my bike! I guess, actually enjoy some R&R for once! Apparently you have dancing "clubs" as well! I've tried seeing if anyone in the class will take me. But the boys always end up arguing over 'who' get's to take me! The girls do too... Is dancing really that serious here?

It's not all roses though, unfortunately, your classmates just do not get along. If a fight broke out, who are you afraid you might not be able to deal with alone and what would you do about it if you had to?

If it just came down to who's the better fighter, there's no problem. But the person in my class I can't deal with.

Is Jack of Thorns.

Their power isn't exactly complicated. They summon vines and magical playing cards. The problem is... uh, me. I was a slave. I've been free for a while. But the moment I get tied up, all the strength goes out of me. I just... I can't fight back! It's embarrassing. Used to happen to me all the time! But back then Prince Tamrick would always come save me.

Now? Uhh... now I'm not so sure. I'm just hoping no one works out my weakness...

quote:

The Outsider
Name: Rene - The Flame Dancer
Look: woman, human body, glowing eyes, flashy clothing, practical costume

Abilities:

- You can fly, and you’re pretty tough.
- alien weaponry
- stunning beauty

Labels:
Freak +1
Danger +0
Savior +0
Superior +2
Mundane +0

Moves:

Kirby-craft:
You have a vehicle, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and two weaknesses. When you are flying your ship, you can use it to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior.

Rene's ship is a multi-form battle vehicle, obtained during one of the more sci-fi seasons of the show. Considered by many to be a turning point for her character, taking her from the usual damsel in distress, to a total bad rear end. The craft is a anti-grav speeder bike, capable to transforming to a number of different shapes depending on what was needed. Ranging from a power armour like jet pack frame, to the fan-fave speeder bike! It's biggest advantage is it's ability to fold itself up to the size of a credit card for easy transport! Though without weaponry of it's own, Rene is more then capable of firing while on the move with her own array of devastating weaponry. Unfortunately, with the technology being alien, even to Rene, she struggles to repair it quickly when damaged. Though she's a lot better at it then she used to be.

Strengths: Fast & manoeuvrable, size-shifting
Weaknesses: Unarmed, difficult to repair

Belong in two worlds:
You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:

- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home

Alien tech:
When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:

- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it

On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

Moment of Truth:

You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do

When our team first came together...

We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships:

You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence:

If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at Apr 17, 2017 around 22:05

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.

Interest post, either Legacy or Beacon.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

What's up, brosefs and brosephines? Romhack's here, and with the power of videogames, I'll save the day!

quote:

When did you first put on the mask? Why?

Straight to the boring questions, huh? No 'Goddamn, Romhack, how are you so amazing?'

Five months ago. ... Let's be honest here, you're expecting some sort of grand talk about justice, and wanting to the right thing, and whatever?

Well, I'm sorry, but I'll have to disappoint you. I'm doing it because it's fun. It's fun AND I get paid for it while working within the law. That's all.

quote:

Why do you keep a secret identity?

... Here, I'll show you how I really look like, you'll understand.

Yup! I'm Madison Gremlin, or more famously known as Buttonmasher from the Fight Girls progaming team. A lot of people know about me. I'm already well-known in my civilian identity, too much to really hide in the crowd.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?

My bigger sister, Anna. Me finding out about my superpower may have involved a birthday party and alcohol. She's a gamer like me, but not on a professional level like me. Still thinks it's kickass and roots for me.

quote:

Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?

Can we not talk about such snorefests? No? Aw. Well, fine, there's Stryder.

Grade B hero, Grade A jackass. Took one look at me and immediately declared I'm not taking this seriously enough, and I should just get out, and yadda yadda. Sorry, Stryder, but not everyone can be as crazy as a crusader of justice like you.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

The more, the merrier, right? As long as they're not buzzkills like Stryder, I'm fine with em.

Questions, Round 1!

quote:

One of your online characters got hacked–maybe by a super villain! What happens when you try to turn into that character now?

Hoo boy. I remember that. My Eden Online character got hacked! I didn't really try those out in public, since it's a vampire and all, but that was a really nasty hack. Game company said it was likely superpowered, as it even they were unable to stop me from being locked out.

And that carries over in real life too! My body just moved around on its own So glad I was able to cancel that form and stop that from being a larger issue! Since then, I've been a lot more careful about what form I use.

quote:

So what's to stop you from finding or commissioning a game that just gives you godlike powers? 70% of infinity, type thing. There's a limit, isn't there? Loath as you are to admit it. What is it, and how'd you hit it facefirst?

Well, it doesn't really work like that. What's important is the actual game mechanics. Games today don't properly represent that. If the game says the character is a god, if all they do is punch things in actual gameplay, what I can do in that form is punch things.

I tried that out with Arceus, the equivalent of the Pokemon god. I was only able to four different moves. It's the reason a lot of my character choices are from fighting games or action rpgs these days.

Questions, Round 2!

quote:

What are the policies on Supers in your competitive gaming league, and who do you owe big time for helping you get through the screenings? What developer are you in contact with as Romhack for a sponsorship, and what new powers will your avatar in that game have? How'd you slip up and give an older hero a clue to your secret identity?

Sport competitons do not allow any power that provides an advantage. There is a entire commitee about that. You're required to reveal any hero identities you have, and constantly screened - people who don't get banned permanently. Anyhow - Oni Mask helped me out big time.

They were worried about my ability being abusable, but Oni pointed out that it's impossible without having a digital version of my real self - something they banned later.

But... I did kind of screw up later. I was too happy about being allowed to stay - I ended up blurting out my catchphrase, 'Get button-mashed!' on patrol with Justice Claw.

That's also when I learned that he's a big fan. Thankfully, I was able to convince him I'm just a fellow fan.

I also got contacted regarding a sponsorship by NISA regarding giving Romhack a game. I suggested speed, durability, and stun powers, since most protagonists kill.

quote:

The Janus
Name: Madison Gremlin
Look: (Varies, shapeshifter)
Woman, White, Boring Clothing, Flashy Costume)
Hero Name: Romhack

Abilities:

Energy Absorption Concept Assimilation - At least that's what that egghead that checked it out called it? Some sorta fancy name for what my power does - basically, the more I get "into" playing a character, the better I am at turning into them

Substance Mimicry True Mimicry - guess what, another silly name, probably not even really true, named by a scientist. Anyway, this is the part where it gets good. Once I played a video game character in real life, I can assume their form! Complete with most of the stuff they're able to do in the games, too. Half of which are basically superpowers anyway. Even works with real-life heroes turned into video game characters! However, the copy is only about 70% as powerful as the original. I guess my power decided to play fair, heh.

And no, I have no clue how half of this stuff works. I kinda gave up on trying to make sense of any of it long before the paid supernerds did. Lot of it shouldn't be possible, like scifi guns and whatever.

Labels:
Danger +0
Freak -1
Savior +0
Superior +1
Mundane +3

Moves:
The Mask: You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask: Freak

Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label. When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential

Game face: When you commit yourself to save someone or defeat a terrible enemy, mark a condition and take +1 ongoing to all rolls in direct pursuit of that goal. At the end of any scene in which you don’t make progress towards that goal, mark a condition. When you fulfill your goal, mark potential.

I am what you see: When you spend time talking to someone about your identity, you can ask them which Label they want to impose on you; their player will tell you honestly. If you accept what they tell you, take +1 forward andeither mark potential or clear a condition.

Moment of Truth:
The mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the drat day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching…

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down.

We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Secret Identity:
Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations.
Choose a total of three obligations.
Social: coach/teacher - I'm part of a pro gaming team, the Fight Girls. We do all kinds of stuff, but mostly Overwatch, a team based FPS. Every now and again, I'm actually supposed to show up for team training.
Social: popularity - The Fight Girls were a smash hit, back when our team first hit the spotlight. Winning that tournament helped, too, but even now we're still top tier. My parents weren't exactly fond of my choice of 'work', but they shut up rather quickly once the money started rolled in. Naturally, I stream when I play too.
School: Schoolwork - Yeah, of course, there's school too. One of the reasons I'm even allowed to be on that team - despite all of this money we won, mind you - is because my grades aren't garbage as you'd expect. But hey, I don't half-rear end things.

When time passes, roll + your Mundane to see how you’re managing your obligations. On a hit, things are going pretty well—you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations. On a 7-9, you’ve lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven’t given your normal life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are going to bite you in the butt.

Relationships:
_____________________ knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell ___________________ your secret identity when they asked.

Influence:
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them Influence over you.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at Apr 18, 2017 around 01:13

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Have you been naughty or nationalised?

So there I was walking home from school when I found him. An old man lying in the gutter and he was in really bad shape. Before I could even reach for my phone to call for help he gripped me by the wrist and looked me in the eye. I don’t know what he was looking for but he grunted in pain and said “you’ll do” and then he gave me this:

He stopped breathing not long after.

quote:

• When did you first use your powers?

When I was at home examining the strange gem. The room felt unbearably warm all of a sudden and the gem… pulsed in my hand. I can’t think of any better way to describe it and suddenly there was a sheet of ice covering the room. It was odd but it also felt right like it was supposed to do that.

quote:

• Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?

I’d been meaning to ask about her. How is Amy? I mean she’s a bitch but she didn’t deserve freezing like that. I just saw her being a bully again and lost my temper at her. And then the gem pulsed stronger this time and you could feel the temperature dropping and suddenly she’s in the middle of a block of ice. Oops.

quote:

• Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?

Ah, well that’d be Arcana.

She’s the cities recognised expert on all things magical and she was called in to examine me after what happened. She was shocked when she saw me and even more shocked when she saw what I was holding. It’s called the Heart of Winter. A powerful magical artefact that was thought lost for centuries. It gives the wielder practically unlimited control over ice and snow providing they know what they’re doing with it. Right now though it’s kinda erratic and seems to respond to my emotions more than my will but I’ll get the hang of it eventually right? Thing is though I keep getting I dunno flashbacks to the people who used this thing before me. Some of them are not nice people I’m worried I might go the same way.

quote:

• Why do you continue to use your powers?

Is that a trick question? Because they’re awesome! I used to be nobody now I can definitely be somebody. Hopefully someone good.

quote:

• Why do you care about the team?

I have no idea how to properly control this. And until I do I need people to help me. And if I do go bad well I might need them to stop me.

quote:

Which previous owner makes more sense than Arcana and what have they been telling you?

Well they don’t exactly talk to me. I just get impressions, feelings thoughts. Like a sort of psychic echo of them. One of them seems to have been the most useful. Mistral, like me she had the Heart thrust on her without warning but whereas Arcana keeps trying to get me to empty myself of emotions. She embraced them and I’ve seen the power she had. Maybe I can do the same.

quote:

Amy died, how does that make you feel?

What? I-I killed her? Oh god. poo poo. poo poo. It was my fault I shouldn’t have lost my temper against someone who didn’t really deserve it. I’ll face the music that’s what a real hero would do right?

quote:

After you answer it's revealed that she did in fact live thanks to the intervention of another young water mage who's been watching your back, Nereid. She likes you. How does the Heart of Winter feel about that and how do you feel?

You bastard! You shouldn’t lie about things like that. Still I’m glad she’s going to be ok. Nereid… Nereid, oh the cute Greek girl. What do you mean she likes me? Like as a friend or… I mean I’m flattered but... Err what you were asking about the heart? It doesn’t really feel but I’ve noticed something of a pattern in the previous wielders they were all lonely driven apart by their power. I don’t want to be like that.

quote:

A team of silver age physicist heroes invited you to their headquarters, the Ivory Tower, to train themselves to fight in near absolute zero environments. They got in your face about how cryostasis could save so many heroes' lives, and it might be possible to reverse the destruction of the universe in another dimension caused by an absolute zero event, and that if they made you a suit full of superconductors that you could maintain with your temperature control you could have so many more capabilities... how'd you deal with the pressure and their invasiveness, and did it work?

Ugh the nerd squad. They mean well but could they please speak English and not whatever that was. What the hell is a superconductor anyway? They had dozens of questions for me but most of them were in sciencese so I had no idea what they were talking about. And the suit, it was tight and claustrophobic and was almost impossible to move in, let alone fight and the chafing I’m still sore now. I don’t care how much it might increase my power by I’m not wearing that.

quote:

Who was dissatisfied with their performance in the training exercise and why?

Me mostly. What I need is consistency but well…err my powers are still rather erratic and it was only when I got frustrated with the whole thing that my powers started to work properly. As for the nerds their stuff is not as ice proof as they thought. I think I made a bit of a mess of their toys.

quote:

You parted on weird terms, which of you is going to have to put forth the more effort to rebuild that bridge if that's what they want to do?

I think the nerds they don’t understand the magic any more than I do but I’m not going to be their guinea pig for whatever crazy experiment they want to figure it out. I’m only interested if they can tell me something useful.

quote:

Name: Snowflake
Mask: Nova
Looks:Woman, White, normal skin, casual clothing, uniform costume

Abilities

You can fundamentally control the world around you. Choose one option from the list as the
broad base of your control.
  • elemental control (Ice)

Labels

Freak: +2
Danger: +1
Savior: +1
Superior: 0
Mundane: -1

Moves

Burn

When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3
burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 burn and mark three conditions.
Spend your burn on your flares. You lose all burn at the end of the scene.
Choose four flares.

Flares

Moat

Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that
will hold back threats as long as you keep your
attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend
another Burn if the barrier is threatened by
particularly powerful enemies.

Shielding

You call up a fast protective field to
stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone
else from an immediate threat, rolling + Freak
instead of + Savior.

Reality storm

You channel a destructive
burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly
engage a threat using your powers, rolling +
Freak instead of + Danger. If you do, you will
cause unwanted collateral damage unless you
spend another Burn.

Constructs:

Spend 1 burn to create any
object with your powers, up to the size of a
person. Spend an additional Burn to animate
it independently of yourself. The construct
dissolves at the end of the scene.

Moment of Truth

Your mind’s eye opens, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it,
at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your
moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if there is any fear in their
eyes when they look at you. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes,
immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if
it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Relationships

You hang out all the time with __________________ to blow off steam.
You once hurt ________________ when you lost control of your powers.

Influence

Choose your demeanor: happy facade or locked down.

If you choose happy facade, give Influence to three teammates.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at Apr 18, 2017 around 20:32

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Backstory posted:

Who changed you?

"The Santiago Foundation." Raiken's mouth is tight with anger. "They brought me on-board with a promise of a summer internship. That was a lie. Instead they rewired my body, replaced half of it with advanced machinery and the other half with some extradimensional bullshit. The only part of me that's still me is..." She taps her head.

Backstory posted:

How did you escape from them?

Raiken spins one of her guns, levels it at the wall, then holsters it. "White decided to take a shot at The Santiago Foundation. I dunno why. He's a super-villain, you know? He blew up enough of their security and I was able to slip out in the confusion. I know the guy is bad news, but I owe him for that." She shrugs. "Great timing, too. They were about to finish things up and wipe my mind."

Backstory posted:

Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

"When I first escaped, I needed a place to crash. Somewhere they wouldn't find me." Raiken's face relaxes for a moment. "This guy, Crimson Fist, put me up for a while. I operated out of this run-down warehouse he uses as a training ground for the first few months while I built up a rep. We keep in touch, even now. I really owe him a lot. I mean, I can't admit it to him or anything, but he probably kept me from getting vivisected or reprogrammed or something else."

Backstory posted:

Why do you try to be a hero?

Raiken grins mirthlessly. "The Foundation is never going to stop. They've invested too much into me to just let me run free. I could try to hide, yeah, but that sounds like a good way to get disappeared in the night." She shrugs. "Might as well make the best of things, right? Even if..." For a moment, Raiken's facade fades and she looks vulnerable. "Even if they made me into a weapon, it's up to me how I use that. Right?"

Backstory posted:

"It's exhausting, you know?" Raiken rubs her eyes. "I need to be on point all the time. I need to keep my eyes out for enemies everywhere. Even if these guys aren't the type to stick with me when it gets rough and, to be honest, I wouldn't blame them, it'll give me a chance to rest a bit. And if they do? Maybe we can shut the Foundation down for good."

Round 1 posted:

What kind of weird qualifications did you need to nail that internship, and how did the Santiago Foundation not draw any heat for making one Asano Ruri disappear? Is anyone looking for her?

"Well, it was an internship at the premiere science think-tank in Halcyon. Most of the requirements were pretty standard — excessively high GPA, a killer essay, a few rounds of interviews — but there were a few that seemed odd, even back then. They took us in for a physical at their labs, something about ensuring that we didn't have any latent conditions that would flare up from exposure to spatial particles? I'm pretty sure that was what got me the job." Raiken touches the dark spot on her chest. "They found something in me that the rest of the candidates didn't have. Something that made me the perfect canvas for their experiments."

"As for why they aren't in hot water? I was supposedly staying at the Foundation's dorms over the summer. They got trashed when White attacked, so it was pretty easy for the Foundation to write me off as dead. I read my obituary. It was pretty touching. I think my parents are still looking, maybe even hired a P.I., but I can't get them involved in this."

Round 2 posted:

Crimson Fist let you know that AEGIS offers a witness protection program-esque service to heroes with origins like yours. What's keeping you from taking the opportunity?

"Right, AEGIS. Well, funny thing about that. Who's to say that the Foundation doesn't have their claws in 'em?" Raiken shakes her head. "I can't risk it. If a hero vanishes, that's weird. People talk. If I go dark and then vanish, who's going to notice? I mean, Crimson Fist has his heart in the right place. But, at the same time, he's a bit naive. Most people are when it comes down to it."

Round 2 posted:

The heroes Grace and Poise were the ones that stopped White when he attacked the Foundation, you escaped them and now they are on the lookout for you, thinking you're dangerous and might not be in control of your own body. In the fight with them, how did they hurt you the most and what do you want to do about it?

"Ugh, those two. I mean, yeah, they saved the day. Not sure why they thought I needed to be put down too. Here I am, stumbling out of the rubble covered in IVs and god knows what else and they start dancing up a storm around me. Literally. I didn't know much about my body then, like how tough it is, so I didn't think it was weird that their tornado tore me up hardcore. I got better, but something about their magic cut right through me. Those idiots have bought into the Foundation line completely. I don't want to hurt 'em, probably not bad kids, but... Well, I'm never going back. Nobody can make me."

The Bull posted:

Hero Name: Raiken
Look: Woman, Asian, Casual Clothing, Memorable Costume

Abilities:

Superhumanly Tough, Incredibly Strong — "Like I said, they replaced almost everything with weird machines and... other things. Nothing that should exist in this world, that's for sure. I don't even know if I'm human anymore. I look it, sure, but I don't need to eat. Breathe, either. My body can knit itself back together from scraps. I can — and have — hold up a crumbling building. Probably more. I've never really hit my peak."

Uniquely Skilled At Fighting — "I mentioned the machines, right? Well, there's something in my head, too. It feeds me all sorts of data on what I'm fighting and how to kill it. Not like I do, I'm a hero after all, but that's what they made me to be. Weapons-wise, I can pull out all sorts of stuff — blades, guns, you name it — and pump that energy into it to do some real damage. It's like lightning, kinda, but not. It gives me a weird vibe. Like it's not supposed to exist."

Labels:
Freak +1
Danger +2
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane -1

The Bull’s Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.
Love:
Rival:

Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:
❑ Defender: When you leap to defend your love or
rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior
to defend them.

Moves:
❑ There when it matters: When you defend
someone, on a hit you can hold 1 instead of
choosing one from the list. Spend your hold when
they are in danger later to arrive on the scene
ready to help.

❑ In a china shop: When you directly engage
a threat, you can cause significant collateral
damage to your environment to choose an
additional option, even on a miss.

Moment of Truth
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

When our team first came together…
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships
_______________ is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
_______________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence
You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Apr 17, 2017 around 18:59

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

A delinquent will be here. Maybe.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

I don't know what I want to play but I'm probably going to app something!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving
And something has got to give

Ultra Carp

Two people posted for Bull before me, so... we'll see what's up when I find time to write an app.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Styx, the Transformed

quote:

Who were you before
Lydia Bristow was considered a particularly sunny sort of girl. To a degree she still is, and tries to be. It can be a difficult though, what with her condition...

quote:

When did you change? What caused it?
See, one day, a reaper was making the rounds, but did not quite pay due attention to their scythe. On this poor Lydia's soul snagged, and fell into the bottom of the river to the Netherworld. When the authorities of the thereafter noticed their mistake, and "discreetly" tried to bolt her soul back on, her body was already cold and clammy, her soul infused and soaked with the baleful energies of the dead. And thus was born Styx.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?
A sunny smile and peppy demeanor helps only so much when your breath smells of death and your eyes bleed the fell blackness of the damned and your skin flickers transparent. People still tend to freak. Well, unless you're a necromancer. They often are understanding of such issues.

Memoriam is well known to the hero circles for his propensity and good will towards the dead. He's the sort of fellow who summons ghosts to nice tea parties to reminisce and have good times with. An eccentric, but a nice one. He quickly took in poor Lydia, teaching her how to best channel her charnel energies for goodness. As well as pragmatic things, like how to pick clothes that go best with being a ghost. Or how to scrub away the smell of death from your mom's prized rug. And where to find the best tissues for wiping all the black goop that seeps from your eyes. These sort of things.

quote:

Why don’t you just try to hide yourself away?
Lydia, bless her soul, just likes people far too much. She knows her situation is... complicated. A trite difficult that is to say. But she refuses to yield to such hardship. Indeed, she reasons, that for every flower her dread aura wilts around her, she'll just have to bloom twice as brightly.

quote:

Why, they're such nice, good people, who aspire to do good things in the world. Also, everyone with superpowers is at least a bit freaky to some degree. So perhaps they'll be more understanding than the rest of the populace.

Questions round 1 posted:

You're "special," why can't you catch a break even from other spirits and immortals?
"Haha, yeah, that. Hmm, well, you know how immortals and spirits tend to be a fairly exclusive lot, with old traditions, yeah? You have all these ancient phoenix bloodlines and fae courts with byzantine traditions and whatnot. And then there's me, just ol' Lydia, who became immortal due to an embarrassing fluke of the nether authorities. So basically, I think it's a mix of me being a reminder of failure, and in part elitist exclusion. Sort of, hmm, you know, how old money aristocrats would look down on lottery winners? Except in this case you win the creepiest getup on the planet instead of money. Haha."

Questions round 1 posted:

What do you miss most from before and how do you plan to get it back or replace it?
"I assume you mean in addition to not being able to go anywhere or do anything without people staring?" Lydia stared forwards a bit, "...I used to be into theater. In an amateurish extent. Made a lot of friends there. They don't want me there anymore", a faint grin spread on her ghastly face, "But hey who knows? Maybe they'll need extras for something horror themed later on? Ha!"

Questions round 2 posted:

The Halcyon Star's supers news correspondent Font interviewed you and wrote an article about you. What'd you like most about it, what'd you learn about yourself?
"Okay, this is going to be a bit corny so bear with me. So at first, I thought they were just going to make some Freak of the Week sort of clickbaity thing on me for shock value you know? But when we talked, it actually went pretty well! Even the article was fine! But what I remember most, is how I made her laugh. That I can still manage that."

"Choking on the cheese yet? Haha, I did warn you!"

You also saw yourself on television once, mistaken for a villain. The heroine Wolfsbane of the Night Watchers showed up to take you on and you fought to a standstill. When you watched it afterwards, what shook you the most and why?
"Hmm, it did highlight one thing that I hadn't really considered. You know how most of my looks are due to the nether energies? Well, turns out all of that gets worse when I channel them proper. Like now? I might almost pass for a cute zombie girl. But then? I'm not surprised they thought me a villain."

Finally, you've lost touch with everyone from your past. Who are you glad is out of your life and why?
"..."

"One of the first people I went to after my change was my boyfriend. And now, I realize all... this might be a lot to ask for a teenager to accept, and I don't fault them for breaking up with me but... they didn't have to be so cruel about it you know? Not when I needed support the most."

quote:

Name: Lydia Bristow
Hero Name: Styx
Look: Woman, Pale, Upsetting Eyes, Clammy Flesh, Unnerving Costume

Abilities:

Nether Energies
When her soul sank into the river, Lydia's soul was suffused to the brim with the energies of the netherworld. She's got weird eyes now, and stuff around her tends to get a bit of a gloomy bent.

Transmuting Flesh
Well, that's what it looks like. Styx can enter the nether due to her connection, which makes her appear ghostlike. With all the ghost benefits.

Labels:
Freak +3
Danger +2
Savior +0
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Moves:
Not human enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Wish I could be: When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Be the monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you frighten others you had not intended to scare
- you hurt someone or break something you shouldn’t have
- you feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM’s choice)
On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.

Unstoppable: When you smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something, roll +Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one:
-mark a condition
-leave something behind,
-take something with you
On a miss, you smash through, but leave devastation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM’s choice.

Moment of Truth
It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head—you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you…

Advances
-Take another move from your playbook (Unstoppable)

Theantero fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2017 around 22:43

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

quote:

How did you first meet your mentor?
I met him in a dream. When asleep, I often wander the dreamscape. One day, I came upon a beautiful landscape. A man was standing there enjoying the view. I greeted him. He was quite surprised to see me there. Recognizing a fellow psychic, he asked me to join him. That night he showed me such wondrous sights, and revealed his identity The Gestalt. I almost believed that I just had a normal dream, until he contacted me the next day.

quote:

When and why did you choose to train with them?
While The Gestalt is mysterious and even a little bit scary. He genuinely cares for the city and its inhabitants, and has saved it from destruction multiple times. He is also a huge advocate for psychic and other inhuman rights.

quote:

Why did they agree to train you?
I'm not really sure why he chose to train me. The Gestalt rarely works with anybody. When he agreed to do it, he mentioned something about not letting untapped potential go to waste. I don't think that is the only reason though.

quote:

Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

Philip Spade (Police Chief): Overworked, and unappreciated, he just wants to retire, but he knows the city needs him. He reluctantly accepts the help of the Gestalt.

Alex Smith: My older brother, He has pryokinesis and is a bit of a delinquent.

quote:

Everyone in the team is a least a little bit of an outsider, and its a place where I can truly fit in. Also, I prefer others to do the actual punching.

quote:

Your detective skills give you an "in" with other heroes wary of psychics and Halcyon City law enforcement that The Gestalt does not have. They all disagree about the value of those relationships and their expertise/powers. Which strikes you as the most true, whether you like it or not, and why?
They believe that normal law enforcement is in way over their heads, and they aren't actually equipped to handle the threats that the city encounters. Reluctantly, I must admit there is some truth to this sentiment. There are some things mundane humans simply can't handle. However, that doesn't mean I can't admire them. Everyday, officers go up against criminals that can destroy a building with a single punch. It takes really bravery to put your life on the line like that. Also, while they may lack physical prowess, they can still use other talents to take down villains that even most heroes wouldn't be able to handle. Powers alone don't make you special, and its why I got into detective work.

quote:

What's the worst thing about nonhuman and psychic's rights activism? What scares you about joining your mentor in it?
Most of those who are bigoted against us, keep their most repulsive thoughts to themselves. They have to maintain an image of genuine concern about the threat we pose, so they don't completely ostracize the general public. In reality, they hate us just because we are different. They also exploit the fact that I am psychic. What they really think is not hidden to me if their emotions are strong enough. I get exposed to their vilest thoughts. They take great pleasure in knowing that they can get away with it. Revealing their true nature would just prove their point. It disgusts me to be exposed to such hatred.

quote:

The Protégé
Look Woman, Caucasian, Compact Body, Fashionable Clothes, Simple Costume
Hero Name: Astral Sage

Abilities
Unique Ability- Detective Skills: The Gestalt doesn't understand why I indulge in this hobby, but I don't want the fact that I'm psychic be my entire identity.
Shared Ability- Psychic (Telepathy/Telekinesis)
Mentor Ability- I Know Your Darkest Nightmare (Fear and Intimidation)
Labels:
Danger: -1
Freak: +0
Savior: +1
Superior: +3
Mundane: 0

Mentor:
Name: The Gestalt
Embodies: Freak
Denies: Mundane

Moment of Truth:
The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies. When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

Moves:
Been reading the files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.

Be mindful of your surroundings:
When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Fireside chat:
When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.

Resources:
The Sphere (Vehicle): A floating black orb that I can control with my thoughts.
Forensics Lab (Chem Lab)
Pocket Dimension(Hidden Base): A miniature dimension that The Gestalt willed into existence located in the heart of the city.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at Apr 19, 2017 around 00:15

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Each further round of questions has a 1k character limit. Edit them onto your app post and ping me on discord. If I haven't gotten to you yet check discord.

Rene
What rule or law from Legallia do you miss the most, that Halcyon city sure could use?

Do you love the Prince, does he love you? There's a great debate about it on the internet. Learn anything useful reading it?

Romhack
One of your online characters got hacked–maybe by a super villain! What happens when you try to turn into that character now?

So what's to stop you from finding or commissioning a game that just gives you godlike powers? 70% of infinity, type thing. There's a limit, isn't there? Loath as you are to admit it. What is it, and how'd you hit it facefirst?

Raiken
What kind of weird qualifications did you need to nail that internship, and how did the Santiago Foundation not draw any heat for making one Asano Ruri disappear? Is anyone looking for her?

Styx
You're "special," why can't you catch a break even from other spirits and immortals? What do you miss most from before and how do you plan to get it back or replace it?

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Apr 16, 2017 around 18:26

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

quote:

How did you gain your skills?
Me, I've always been a bit of an active kid. So I run around, get on top of places that I really shouldn't be... get more than a few cuts falling off of high places, yeah? More than a few scoldings from Ma, too. As for not being seen, you know how some people feel like they blend into the background? I'm one of 'em. Heck, there's some absences on my school record 'cause the teachers never realized I was there. It's so uncanny, I thought it was an actual power at first. But, nah. Just not exactly a memorable person.

...The sword? ‘S real, but just for looks. Don't know how to use it beyond stickin’ 'em with the pointy end.

quote:

When did you first put on your costume?
Calling it a costume is... I just grabbed the first thing close by. See, I had just come home after school when I saw on the TV about a hostage situation downtown. Wouldn't have thought much of it, 'cept one of the hostages was a girl I knew from class. Made it a whole lot more real for me. Logic said I should wait for someone with actual powers to do something, but... I just couldn't. If something happened to someone I knew, and I knew I could've done something 'bout it, no way I could've lived with myself. So I snuck in, got her and the other hostages out. Was pretty scary, but I got through it.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?
Ma and Pa, duh. Logically, they're right to worry, since I don’t got any real powers. Good thing being a hero ain't about logic, eh? It's about guts and heart, and I like to think I've got a bit of both. Big part of their concern, I think, is 'cause of my sister Hana, who’s a superhero too, ‘cept with actual precognition powers. Real proud of her, we are, but compared side by side... I get why they're worried, but it’s fine! Got my team to back me up, and I can always tuck away in some corner and hide away.

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?
I've always admired Sis, y’know? Seeing her saving lives and kicking bad guy rear end is pretty cool, so being able to stand on something close to equal footing is a nice feeling. Mostly though, it feels... good to do good, yeah? Whole lot of us little guys and gals who need heroes, ‘fraid of the rude dudes out there. Like to think that if I can be a hero, then maybe I'll give some guts and heart to my fellow normies, yeah? ...And, y'know, it's fun.

quote:

'Cause against real tough villies, I can't exactly do much on my own. By myself, I ain't much of a fighter, and you can't go ‘round all your problems in your life. Believe me, I try. So I watch their back, they keep me from getting my mask smashed in. 'S a pretty good trade, yeah?

Questions Below Here

slydingdoor posted:

Kon
Your skills got you noticed by two women: infiltration caught the eye of the AEGIS recruiter Valerie Weiger, and acrobatics the young thief Qīng Líng, Damselfly. Each invited you to their organization or guild. Which one interests you more and why?
Gotta say, I’m intrigued by Damselfly’s offer. Don’t get me wrong, I ain’t interested in being a thief or nothin’. But she’s got some real slick moves that I could learn from a thing or two from, and honestly, sticking to the shadows is somethin’ I’m good at, not somethin’ I like. ‘S like, being told you’re useful ‘cause no one notices ya isn’t exactly good for the ego, y’know? Glad I’m helpful and all, but still… sometimes, a hero wants to stand out, yeah?

quote:

A hero likes your sister and is trying to get to know you, who are they and what do you think of them?
Sheesh, don’t get me started on this clown. Sorry, I mean, Nines. On account of his whole cat shtick, yeah? ‘Course, with how stuck up the guy can be, wouldn’t be surprised if some folk tried to cut him down to eight or seven, heh. He’s a master of shadows, see, but not like me who just hangs around in ‘em. Warping ‘round, making duplicates of himself, obscuring vision. The works. ‘S a real neat trick he’s got, and real versatile. And he knows it. Oh, does he know it. Often tries to get on my good side too, talking ‘bout how’d good a pair we’d make and yada yada yada. Just, nah. Already got a team I like, and I ain’t helping a prick like that get into Sis’ pants either. Like... ugh.

quote:

You've lurked at the margins of a lot of battles, which adult hero(es) do you think you could show up and why/how?
Much as I wanna say Nines, gotta go with Chevalier here. He’s a kickass duelist, sure, but get him outside of his comfort zone of a one-on-one direct fight, and he ain’t that big of a deal. Plenty of clever villies have run circles ‘round him in the past, and I could do it too if I wanted. ...Probably.

quote:

Which villain(s) do you think you could kiss, why/how?
Bit personal, don’tcha think? Well, not that I’m ashamed to admit that I’m fond of Mastermind, villain she may be. Gal was a supergenius even before she outfitted herself with a supercomputer brain, from what I’ve heard, and anything related to tech is like a plaything to her. She’s just so… cool, yeah? Being in control all the time, no matter when or where. Know I shouldn’t say this ‘bout a villain, but ya gotta show respect where it’s due. Plus, cyborgs are just awesome! Kinda been wondering if I should get me some cybernetics...

quote:

How did you come by your sword, and why don't you train with it?
What, this? It’s from Kensei, Sis’ mentor. Once word got ‘round about me, he came by to spar and see if I was worth teaching. And, well, I wasn’t. Still, he lent me an old sword of his for practice, told me to find him if I ever feel I’m ready. Thing is, I ain’t real big on violence. Hate seeing people getting hurt, even if some of them maybe deserve it, y’know? I keep it out of respect, but I don’t much plan on using it.

The Beacon posted:

Hero Name: Kon
Look: Man, Asian, Average Face, Casual Clothing, Cheap 'Costume'

Abilities: Camouflage and stealth, acrobatics

Labels
Danger: -1
Freak: -1
Savior: +2
Superior: +1
Mundane: +2

Moves
Straight. Up. Creepin’.: When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask two. On a 7-9, ask one.
- what’s my best way in/out?
- what happened here recently?
- what here is worth grabbing?
- who or what here is not what they seem?
- whose place is this?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head.

No powers and not nearly enough training: You’re always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if this line is empty.

Drives
Kiss someone dangerous
Pull off a ridiculous stunt
Help a teammate when they most need you
Outperform an adult hero

We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Relationships
Styx is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
You’ve got to prove yourself to Raiken before you feel like a real hero.

Influence
You are so excited to be here. Give Influence over you to three of your teammates.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at Apr 20, 2017 around 23:33

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Snowflake
Which previous owner makes more sense than Arcana and what have they been telling you? Amy died, how does that make you feel? After you answer it's revealed that she did in fact live thanks to the intervention of another young water mage who's been watching your back, Nereid. She likes you. How does the Heart of Winter feel about that and how do you feel?

Kon
Your skills got you noticed by two women: infiltration caught the eye of the AEGIS recruiter Valerie Weiger, and acrobatics the young thief Qīng Líng, Damselfly. Each invited you to their organization or guild. Which one interests you more and why? A hero likes your sister and is trying to get to know you, who are they and what do you think of them?

R2

Rene
There's a support group for integrating "foreign" heroes like you into Halcyon City, they've given you a stipend and a cell phone and helped you establish an identity here. What are you most excited for now that you're official a citizen?

It's not all roses though, unfortunately, your classmates just do not get along. If a fight broke out, who are you afraid you might not be able to deal with alone and what would you do about it if you had to?

Romhack
What are the policies on Supers in your competitive gaming league, and who do you owe big time for helping you get through the screenings? What developer are you in contact with as Romhack for a sponsorship, and what new powers will your avatar in that game have? How'd you slip up and give an older hero a clue to your secret identity?

Raiken
Crimson Fist let you know that AEGIS offers a witness protection program-esque service to heroes with origins like yours. What's keeping you from taking the opportunity?

The heroes Grace and Poise were the ones that stopped White when he attacked the Foundation, you escaped them and now they are on the lookout for you, thinking you're dangerous and might not be in control of your own body. In the fight with them, how did they hurt you the most and what do you want to do about it?

Styx
The Halcyon Star's supers news correspondent Font interviewed you and wrote an article about you. What'd you like most about it, what'd you learn about yourself?

You also saw yourself on television once, mistaken for a villain. The heroine Wolfsbane of the Night Watchers showed up to take you on and you fought to a standstill. When you watched it afterwards, what shook you the most and why? Finally, you've lost touch with everyone from your past. Who are you glad is out of your life and why?

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Apr 17, 2017 around 18:33

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Snowflake
A team of silver age physicist heroes invited you to their headquarters, the Ivory Tower, to train themselves to fight in near absolute zero environments. They got in your face about how cryostasis could save so many heroes' lives, and it might be possible to reverse the destruction of the universe in another dimension caused by an absolute zero event, and that if they made you a suit full of superconductors that you could maintain with your temperature control you could have so many more capabilities... how'd you deal with the pressure and their invasiveness, and did it work? Who was dissatisfied with their performance in the training exercise and why? You parted on weird terms, which of you is going to have to put forth the more effort to rebuild that bridge if that's what they want to do?

Kon
You've lurked at the margins of a lot of battles, which adult hero(es) do you think you could show up and why/how? Which villain(s) do you think you could kiss, why/how? How did you come by your sword, and why don't you train with it?

I'm putting out a 30 hour notice for people who've expressed interest but haven't yet apped to finish their apps or withdraw. Let me know by 9pm MST

"Finish your apps" means choosing a playbook and filling it out including the backstory questions.

Astral Sage
Your detective skills give you an "in" with other heroes wary of psychics and Halcyon City law enforcement that The Gestalt does not have. They all disagree about the value of those relationships and their expertise/powers. Which strikes you as the most true, whether you like it or not, and why?

What's the worst thing about nonhuman and psychic's rights activism? What scares you about joining your mentor in it?

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Apr 18, 2017 around 23:35

• Locked thread