Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Styx, the Transformed

quote:

Who were you before
Lydia Bristow was considered a particularly sunny sort of girl. To a degree she still is, and tries to be. It can be a difficult though, what with her condition...

quote:

When did you change? What caused it?
See, one day, a reaper was making the rounds, but did not quite pay due attention to their scythe. On this poor Lydia's soul snagged, and fell into the bottom of the river to the Netherworld. When the authorities of the thereafter noticed their mistake, and "discreetly" tried to bolt her soul back on, her body was already cold and clammy, her soul infused and soaked with the baleful energies of the dead. And thus was born Styx.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?
A sunny smile and peppy demeanor helps only so much when your breath smells of death and your eyes bleed the fell blackness of the damned and your skin flickers transparent. People still tend to freak. Well, unless you're a necromancer. They often are understanding of such issues.

Memoriam is well known to the hero circles for his propensity and good will towards the dead. He's the sort of fellow who summons ghosts to nice tea parties to reminisce and have good times with. An eccentric, but a nice one. He quickly took in poor Lydia, teaching her how to best channel her charnel energies for goodness. As well as pragmatic things, like how to pick clothes that go best with being a ghost. Or how to scrub away the smell of death from your mom's prized rug. And where to find the best tissues for wiping all the black goop that seeps from your eyes. These sort of things.

quote:

Why don’t you just try to hide yourself away?
Lydia, bless her soul, just likes people far too much. She knows her situation is... complicated. A trite difficult that is to say. But she refuses to yield to such hardship. Indeed, she reasons, that for every flower her dread aura wilts around her, she'll just have to bloom twice as brightly.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?
Why, they're such nice, good people, who aspire to do good things in the world. Also, everyone with superpowers is at least a bit freaky to some degree. So perhaps they'll be more understanding than the rest of the populace.

Questions round 1 posted:

You're "special," why can't you catch a break even from other spirits and immortals?
"Haha, yeah, that. Hmm, well, you know how immortals and spirits tend to be a fairly exclusive lot, with old traditions, yeah? You have all these ancient phoenix bloodlines and fae courts with byzantine traditions and whatnot. And then there's me, just ol' Lydia, who became immortal due to an embarrassing fluke of the nether authorities. So basically, I think it's a mix of me being a reminder of failure, and in part elitist exclusion. Sort of, hmm, you know, how old money aristocrats would look down on lottery winners? Except in this case you win the creepiest getup on the planet instead of money. Haha."

Questions round 1 posted:

What do you miss most from before and how do you plan to get it back or replace it?
"I assume you mean in addition to not being able to go anywhere or do anything without people staring?" Lydia stared forwards a bit, "...I used to be into theater. In an amateurish extent. Made a lot of friends there. They don't want me there anymore", a faint grin spread on her ghastly face, "But hey who knows? Maybe they'll need extras for something horror themed later on? Ha!"

Questions round 2 posted:

The Halcyon Star's supers news correspondent Font interviewed you and wrote an article about you. What'd you like most about it, what'd you learn about yourself?
"Okay, this is going to be a bit corny so bear with me. So at first, I thought they were just going to make some Freak of the Week sort of clickbaity thing on me for shock value you know? But when we talked, it actually went pretty well! Even the article was fine! But what I remember most, is how I made her laugh. That I can still manage that."

"Choking on the cheese yet? Haha, I did warn you!"

You also saw yourself on television once, mistaken for a villain. The heroine Wolfsbane of the Night Watchers showed up to take you on and you fought to a standstill. When you watched it afterwards, what shook you the most and why?
"Hmm, it did highlight one thing that I hadn't really considered. You know how most of my looks are due to the nether energies? Well, turns out all of that gets worse when I channel them proper. Like now? I might almost pass for a cute zombie girl. But then? I'm not surprised they thought me a villain."

Finally, you've lost touch with everyone from your past. Who are you glad is out of your life and why?
"..."

"One of the first people I went to after my change was my boyfriend. And now, I realize all... this might be a lot to ask for a teenager to accept, and I don't fault them for breaking up with me but... they didn't have to be so cruel about it you know? Not when I needed support the most."

quote:

Name: Lydia Bristow
Hero Name: Styx
Look: Woman, Pale, Upsetting Eyes, Clammy Flesh, Unnerving Costume

Abilities:

Nether Energies
When her soul sank into the river, Lydia's soul was suffused to the brim with the energies of the netherworld. She's got weird eyes now, and stuff around her tends to get a bit of a gloomy bent.

Transmuting Flesh
Well, that's what it looks like. Styx can enter the nether due to her connection, which makes her appear ghostlike. With all the ghost benefits.

Labels:
Freak +3
Danger +2
Savior +0
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Moves:
Not human enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Wish I could be: When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Be the monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you frighten others you had not intended to scare
- you hurt someone or break something you shouldn’t have
- you feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM’s choice)
On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.

Unstoppable: When you smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something, roll +Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one:
-mark a condition
-leave something behind,
-take something with you
On a miss, you smash through, but leave devastation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM’s choice.

Moment of Truth
It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head—you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you…

Advances
-Take another move from your playbook (Unstoppable)

Theantero fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread