Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The Hyenas
Alexi the Gunlugger – Old man with many guns.
Bethany the Savvyhead – Leader of The Relay Union.
Puddle the Child Thing – Creature of the wastes.
Roscoe the Chopper – Leader of The Rollers.

Cannon Fodder
Bree - ? - Looking for Alexi.
Cheerleader - F - Roscoe's gang.
Coburn – M – Convoy leader. Roscoe owes him a debt.
Edge - M - Looking for Alexi.
Fisher Mick - M - Old fisherman.
Hevesh - F - Old lady who lives with girls. She a madam? I don't know.
Hoss – F – Member of Coburn's gang.
Ingrid - F - She's in the Maelstrom. They never found a body.
Jaina – F – Young. Knows Alexi.
Kenneth - M - Fadeblack addict. Goes back with Bethany.
Loam - M - A brother of the childish things.
Lonesome - ? - Big. Roscoe's Gang.
Malcom – M – Hardholder across the river. Not a fan of Bethany.
Miller – M – Gangleader to the East. Bad man.
Morlocks – Gang – Pale things that live in the underground.
Mudders - Gang - Gross dark people who live in the river.
Mother - ? - ?
Pickney – M – Young kid. Roller. Loyal.
The Prince of Wales – M – Owns a bar full of no-longer-human grey things he'll pay you to hunt.
Raw - M - Roscoe's gang. No fun. Scarred Face.
The Relay Union – Gang – Transmission network engineers led by Bethany the Savvyhead.
Roller – Gang – Bicycle gang led by Roscoe the Chopper.
Toto - F - Hoss's younger sister. Some kind of disability.
The Wolves – ? - We don't talk about them.

Concepts
Fadeblack - Sometimes hallucinogenic drug taken from an inhaler.

History

Custom Moves

Misc
Sort out your Hxs.

Start each post with your name in bold.
Story in normal.
Rolls and such in italics.
Make it clear what you're doing.

We are also using alternative rules for harm (http://ihousenews.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/63408904/Apocalypse%20harm.pdf) so don't sweat it with the clocks.

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The sun comes up. The wind blows. It's just before midday. The sky is clear, but its an ugly muted colour. It's like a fever today – you move and you sweat, you stay still and you shiver. All around the world there are people doing what they can to survive. Another day on the blasted earth.

Alexi, you're at home when Jaina arrives (where is home, by the way? Do you have a regular place you lay down your head?). Her face is all dirty like always, and she's scratching at her short blonde hair. She comes in without knocking then stomps her foot a couple of times, like, announcing her arrival.

“Yo, old man,” she says. “I know something you don't know.”

What do you do?

Bethany, you're working in the shop doing your thang. There's hissing, fizzing, sparks, maybe some smoke, the smell of burning metal and plastic and bursts of static that only you can understand. You're working away in your own little trance when you suddenly feel eyes on you from behind. Someone's watching you and they didn't let you know they were there.

What do you do?

Puddle, you're up and about earlier than the others. Someone in the labirynth, one of your brothers or sisters, maybe even mother herself, has sent you out into the world on a job. They need something. Sometimes very very weird. What is it and how are you going about finding it?

Roscoe, you're sat in your hideout surrounded by your boys and girls. There's a flickering lightbulb sort of swinging on this thread attached to the ceiling so that its creating a halo of light that moves back and forth across the room. You got the taste of oil in your mouth and the smell of blood in your nose.

Tied to the chair in front of you is Hoss. Your boys dragged her in. She's got a sack on her head. She's scared but holding up good, she’s one of Coburn's generals. Way your gang tell it, they just caught her alone and unarmed doing nothing in particular just a little too close to your territory.

You happy they grabbed her? What are you going to do? It's gone a little bit too far to just let her go, no harm done…. If you want to stop this escalating it's going to cost you. What do you do?

All, to help things get started, I'm highlighting both your stats for you. Go ahead and bold those in your character sheet.

Alexi – Hard and Weird
Bethany – Cool and Hot
Puddle – Hot and Sharp.
Roscoe – Cool and Sharp.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Alexi

I hop down from my perch on the dilapidated dresser, letting my favorite gun go from killing position to .4 seconds from killing position. A smile cracks my weathered face as I recognize the friendly girl as not-trying-to-kill-me.

"Ah! My beautiful friend you have come to my home!"

I stalk around the small apartment, looking for the box of cookies I found last week. The new world changed many things. Living space is cheap, but electricity rare. Beds, abundant. Cleanliness a commodity. But the needs remain the same. Need more food. More water. Need safety, love, warmth. But enough in this paradise for all that remain if you look hard enough. Living in the same place for more than 4 hours would have been madness in the Bad Place. But I made the decision that here would be better, so I found a small building, cut a few escape holes in the ceiling, floors, walls, and made a place for friends to visit me. I don't sleep in the place people know to find me though, I want a long life. I sleep in the space between the walls. I look out my wall-hole. Such nice weather, barely angry at all.

"This is why I have home, for friends to visit me. I know many things you don't know. Do you want to give me your knowing, or trade?"

hx: Which one of you is prettiest and/or smartest? It's Bethany, we all know it's Bethany
Bethany: +2 Roscoe: -1 Puddle: -1

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bethany
Cool-1 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird+2

I'm up in the rafters of the garage, a couple stories up. The makeshift catwalk of planks leads to a rope ladder on either end. In the middle, a set of planks circle around the mast, a giant makeshift thing I hauled in a while back and erected right through the roof. Huge cables run up the mast like vines, through the interior, carrying signal and power. I'm at the junction box, mask on and trying to fix a pair of shoddy couplings - I don't have replacement, so it's up to a metal grinder and solder to try to strip the corrosion off.

As I work, i get the weirdest feeling in the back of my neck. I shut the grinder off and lift my mask, peering down at the shop floor below. "Kenneth?" I call, trying to make out who it is. In helmets so many people look the same. "What the gently caress mate, knock!" I shout. I grab the tool hoist and wrap my foot around the rope, using the thing as counterweight to quickly sips down to the floor. "Lucky I didn't slam a wrench into your head."

Savvyhead HX posted:

• Which of you is the most strange? For those characters, write Hx+1
Puddle
• Which one of you is the biggest potential problem? For that character, write Hx+2.
Roscoe
For everyone else, write Hx-1.
Alexi

Which gives us:
Puddle HX+2, Roscoe HX+2, Alexi HX-1

Bethany posted:

Bethany, the Savvyhead

Stats: Cool-1 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird+2

Look: Woman, utility wear plus tech, pretty face, quick eyes, wiry body

Gear:
Oddments worth 6-barter
9mm (2-Harm close loud)
Personal piece of three of normal gear or weaponry.

Moves:
Things Speak
Whenever you handle or examine something interesting, roll+weird. On a hit, you can ask the MC questions. On a 10+, ask 3. On a 7–9, ask 1:
• Who handled this last before me?
• Who made this?
• What strong emotions have been most recently nearby this?
• What words have been said most recently nearby this?
• What has been done most recently with this, or to this?
• What’s wrong with this, and how might I fix it?
Treat a miss as though you’ve opened your brain to the world’s psychic maelstrom and missed the roll.

Spooky Intense
When you do something under fire, stand overwatch, or bait a trap, roll+weird instead of roll+cool

Workspace:
A garage, machining tools, transmitters & receivers

When you go into your workspace and dedicate yourself to making a thing, or to getting to the bottom of some poo poo, decide what and tell the MC. The MC will tell you “sure, no problem, but…” and then 1 to 4 of the following:
• It’s going to take hours/days/weeks/months of work.
• First you’ll have to get/build/fix/figure out ___.
• You’re going to need ___ to help you with it.
• It’s going to cost you a fuckton of jingle.
• The best you’ll be able to do is a crap version, weak and unreliable.
• It’s going to mean exposing yourself (plus colleagues) to serious danger.
• You’re going to have to add —— to your workplace first.
• It’s going to take several/dozens/hundreds of tries.
• You’re going to have to take ___ apart to do it.
The MC might connect them all with “and,” or might throw in a merciful “or.”

Once you’ve accomplished the necessaries, you can go ahead and accomplish the thing itself. The MC will stat it up, or spill, or whatever it calls for.

1) Who loves you? Why?
The Relay Union's my gang. We've been working for a few years to set up radio relays wherever we can, which, look, radio's simple tech that still needs a fair bit of knowhow and organization on top of the right pieces. We've had the best luck with the older stuff we can find, those units are built like tanks and easy to fix, not all that chip crap. I have an open workshop policy for other Relayers, so I'm on their good side.

2) Who hates you? Why?
Plenty of people, anybody who wants to keep people in the dark and shovel poo poo at them. There's this one hardholder across the river, Malcom, who hates all kinds of information, and's really into old electronics. A freelance information network really torques him off.

3) What do you want right now?
I could really use a new tranciever horn on the antenna mast. Old one I had finally fritzed out and died and I lost contact with the West End station. And some loving gin.

4) What do you want a year from now?
A satellite. The rest of the Union says I've my head in the clouds. I tell them, nah, in the stars. I think some of them are still up there, just waiting for somebody to talk to them. Who knows what we could learn, who we could contacts, what kinds of civilization we could get back, if I could reach one?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Roscoe
Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-1

Used to be a theater, though not a grand one by any means. I'm up on the edge of the stage, taking up a good fifth of the space. And I'm not even half as big as Lonesome, who's out minding the bikes next door with Cheerleader. The rest of the gang are lounging in the chairs that haven't been ripped out, or they're stretched out on the gently sloping floor that leads down to me. Here to watch the show.

Hoss is just at the foot of the stage, taped down tight to the wheelchair. Her knees look all torn up - Pickney and the rest sent her down the center aisle at top speed to get to me. In the middle rows I can hear a few of the girls talking about gluing sawblades or rebar or both to the stage lip, just loud enough so our guest can hear and imagine. But I'm just looking at this ratfuck, sucking in and blowing out the burlap of the bag on her face. I'm curious about this circumstance. But I talk like I'm bored. For effect.

"Nice to see you again, Hoss. Coburn just sending you alone now? You know I liked it more when you brought your boys." I reach out with my boot and give her covered head a firm push. the wheelchair rolls back a bit on the slope, then comes back down to where it was. "Old man could at least do me the courtesy of treating the Rollers like a concern, yeah? Show us some respect."

quote:

hx:
* Which one used to ride for my gang?
Bethany could've made a good Roller, hell knows Cheerleader could've used her knack. But she never did trust me, I don't think. +1
* Which one figures they could take me in a fight?
Alexi can spare the bullets, I'm sure. +2
* Which one stood up to me, gang and all?
I don't know if Puddle didn't understand the danger or just didn't care. +3

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Puddle
Cool+1 Hard-1 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird+2

Loam really is a pain sometimes. I get he needs this stuff for something, and we should help each other, but why do I have to do it?
How am I supposed to get my hands on a moment of nostalgia?
Nobody around here sells those?
Do they?
Whatever.
Nostalgia means the past, but good, right?
So, old people.
There's the funny talking guy, Alexi, but he's only ever talked about old bad stuff.
There's old lady Hevesh who has the place where all the girls work, but she gets really mad if you call her old.
The only other old guy I know is Fisher Mick, so he'll be the one. He always has impressive stories, and he's always down by the river, spearing stuff and cutting stuff up with his friends.
Decision made, I adjust my eye-protectors before scampering into the light.

Hx posted:

Bethany, are you a wolf of the Maelstrom?
Roscoe, are you a wolf of the Maelstrom?
Alexi, are you a wolf of the Maelstrom?

Puddle posted:

Puddle, the Child-thing

Stats: Cool+1 Hard-1 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird+2

Look: Ambiguous gender, scrounge wear, eerie face, clear eyes, child’s body

Gear:
Taped blade (2-harm hand)
Half a brick (2-harm hand)
crap you’ve picked up worth 1-barter

Moves:
Sniffing the air
When you read a situation, ask 1 of these questions, in addition to the
other questions you ask:
• Who here is most afraid?
• Who here is keeping secrets from the rest?
• How close are the wolves?
• What or who is the source of the most pain or fear here?
• Who here would do what I ask?

The mother’s heartbeat
When you withdraw into the world’s psychic maelstrom,
roll+weird. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7–9, choose 1. You emerge again, about an hour later,
and…
• …Meanwhile, you can still watch and hear what’s happening where you were.
• …You can re-emerge in a different place altogether.
• …You are healed of all harm.
• …You can bring someone in and out with you.
On a miss, you are in the dark and warm, listening to the mother’s heartbeat, and many
hours pass.

Child-thing special:
In addition to food, you eat bizarre things: metal, people,
plastic, minds, electricity, art. At the end of the session,
if you’ve eaten something from this list that belongs or
belonged to another player’s character, you know them
better, and get +1Hx with them. If this brings you to Hx+4,
reset to Hx+1 and mark experience as always.

Your Den:
You have a den, a secret(ish), secure(ish) place you can live and hide in. In it, you have:
Crooked, labyrinthine, interconnected tunnels and boltways.
A pipe that drips clean water into a polished basin.
Some uncertain number of your siblings and kind, no two alike.

1) Who loves you? Why?
My family, brothers and sisters all. There's many of us, and more are coming. And mother, of course! She wispers in our sleep and keeps up from what might be, guiding us to what will be. She loves all her children.
The wires love me, with their buzz and crackle. The whole world will love us, when the time comes.

2) Who hates you? Why?
The pale ones from the tunnels, I heard some call them Morlocks? They can't hear Mother, and so they're confused and afraid just like the people above, but they see us and can tell we're not like them, so they're always trying to get at us.
We know these tunnels better though, they're from deeper down.
The wolves. We don't talk about them.

3) What do you want right now?
A break. Everyone up here is an rear end in a top hat! They're loud and mean and stingy with their stuff and there's too much light! I'm up here to look around and so far I'm not really impressed. There must be something interesting here though, or everyone would be back home, where it's nicer.

4) What do you want a year from now?
I want some nice stuff with some spark still in it, and some shiny stuff to show off with. And I want time to go faster. Not yet, Mother says, but when will it happen?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Alexi, Jaina smiles and rubs her cheeks when you call her beautiful. You've seen it before, it's one of those strange things that kid do seemingly intuitively but baffles anyone older than a teenager. You think its a cross between a thank you and faux embarrassment. She patiently waits, kicking her missmatched boots at the ground as you make your way around your 'home'. If she notices any of the trapdoors or secrets or hidden places then she is smart enough not to point it out.

"Come on, silly old grandpa," she says. Her voice is a knife wrapped in wool. "Nothing aint free no mo fo sho. Sing it!"

She does a little hand dance - another dumb thing kids do, then smiles at you.

"You'll want to know this too, I tell you that now, I mean you're going to find out one way or another anyway but you should find out before it happens...."

Bethany, you're right in that it IS Kenneth standing in the entrance to your workshop, but he's not looking how he should. You take one look at he's eyes and you can tell he is completely out of it. He's sort of wobbling on his feet and unable to hear you properly. It's a few moments before you even notice the greasy rag under his arm, wrapped around something. Suddenly, he snaps awake for a minute and awkwardly holds it out at you.

"You want?" he mutters.

What's wrong with him? Drugs? What's it called and how do you take it?

Roscoe, Hoss struggles a little bit as you push her head back, but she knows that she's stuck good.

"Ah, come on, man, I didn't come here. I was out mindin' my own when yours grabbed me. It's my loving day off, yo. You think I'd come scouting you out on my own? I aint that stupid."

Someone at the back of the theatre mutters something and some of your guys cackle.

"Roscoe, we gotta kill her man. Or at least gently caress her up." It's Raw and he's not joking around. He's got his gun drawn already, but he's not gesturing it or pointing it at her or anything. He's no fun though. "We gonna kill her?"

Puddle, you scuttle and scramble your way to the river, looking for Fisher Mike. The wind is blowing in from the north today, not hard, but enough to carry this really awful stink of the river. It smells like salt and poo poo and dead meat. You stick your head out over a few of the little patches of 'beach' that line the riverbed, but Mike's nowhere to be seen. And then you find him.

He's spilled out and bleeding. There are two mudders standing over him. They look like all mudders - all wrinkled and puckered flesh and long, thin limbs. One has fish bones pierced through a dozen holes in her face, the other is wearing what looks like a string of animal skins around their neck. They are talking in their horrible, gulping choking language, picking through his belongings. They've not noticed you, but you can tell that Fisher Mike is still breathing down there.

What do you do?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bethany

I land on the floor and unravel from the hoist. "God drat it," I hiss. I can tell what he's holding out even from this distance, and it's even clearer when I get closer. I snatch it out of his hand and turn it over. A little plastic thing, black with a neon green logo on it. Fadeblack, they call it, and it comes in a bunch of different types. Half the chem labs have their own flavor. It's a powdered inhalant that you take with these little inhalers, and it'll string you out for a good twelve hours. Some trips are calmer, others induce a variety of interesting hallucinations. Rumor is it started as a shamanic brainer drug they'd take to tap into the maelstrom. Not sure I believe it, but you layer on some new-age woo and the high and you've got the next big thing.

I toss the inhaler up in my hand and then as it's falling back down, smack it hard as I can, sending it clattering off into the recesses of the workshop. "Did you get that poo poo from Malcom?" I push him. I bet he did. I know it. I got him clean once before, mostly since Ingrid asked me to watch out for him before she took three in the head. I grumble some curses under my breath. "You can stay here while you ride it out," I say, grabbing his hand and pulling him further into the workshop. If I can get him upstairs I can toss him in my bedroom. Hope it's one of the flavors light on the hallucinations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Alexi

Stats: Cool -1, Hard +3, Hot -2, Sharp +1, Weird +2 1/5

Opening mind: 2d6+2 10

It must be very good knowing she wants to share, so I must share the same. My eyes darken as I remember things from a distant world.

"My name now, it is a new thing. The name of my father, I sold for half a pig. The name from my mother, I traded for a bullet that can kill a shadow. 5 years and a boat that can sail the Forsaken Sea, I traded for Alexi. Because of this, the Way is closed again. A name has value and danger. If you hold your name tight, the Dark Things cannot take you. But if the Beasts hear it, they will know your smell and never forget. The things that trade for names, they live in the sea. They shelter this island from the maelstrom. You can speak to them if you give blood when the moon is red."

I frown a little at the girl when I return to this time, "many things are free that once were not. Space and sleep and the freedom to speak and take and kill. Many things are free that may someday not be. Blood and breath, memory and desire. We cherish what is scarce so we do not see and protect what is free. The Dark Eyes will try to take these things we do not protect."

I forgot one gun, so I'm going to pick ap ammo for dirty power-gaming reasons.
Alexi is not a wolf of the maelstrom, not since he traded his old name for one more pure.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 17, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Captain_Indigo posted:

Roscoe, Hoss struggles a little bit as you push her head back, but she knows that she's stuck good.

"Ah, come on, man, I didn't come here. I was out mindin' my own when yours grabbed me. It's my loving day off, yo. You think I'd come scouting you out on my own? I aint that stupid."

Someone at the back of the theatre mutters something and some of your guys cackle.

"Roscoe, we gotta kill her man. Or at least gently caress her up." It's Raw and he's not joking around. He's got his gun drawn already, but he's not gesturing it or pointing it at her or anything. He's no fun though. "We gonna kill her?"

I throw my hands up at Raw, always the skittish one. "Boy, come on, we're not savages." I crouch down so I'm within arm's reach of Hoss and repeat myself, quieter. "We're not savages! Bad loving luck on wheels, yeah, bad people, yeah. But we're reasonable."

I sit on the lip of the stage and eye the prisoner. "Now I'm afraid your claims are quite easily refuted, darling. One, no fucker in their right mind takes a stroll outside thick walls in this day and age.Two, your loving day off? gently caress you. Your boss don't give out PTO to boys on the payroll, he owns your sorry rear end much as he does the rest of us."

"So you go out, unarmed, on your own, in risky loving terrain, on time that your boss pays for. That this is all a coincidence and you are that loving stupid is one possibility. But maybe you're a deserter, hmm? Going out to no man's land to meet a contact for some off-the-books business, cut Coburn out of his jangle?" I whistle, and relish doing so. "Bossman would not be happy. I could deliver you in pieces and spruce the place up with my earnings." I look around, shrug. "You can't see it but it could use some work."

I signal to Pickney to scope the exits and do some light recon, see if we've got company coming.

"Other possibility is, Coburn's got a scheme and you're in on it. I'd love to talk about that possibility. Please, for the sake of your health."

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 17, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

^^^
I'm going to READ HOSS to see if I can't determine the game being played here
Read A Person: 2d6+1 = 11

Questions to Ask:
Is Hoss telling the truth?
What does Hoss intend to do?
What does Hoss wish I'd do?

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 17, 2017

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Bethany, the inhaler clatters against the far wall and vanishes behind a pile of junkyard crap. Kenneth's eyes wake up bright and alert as he follows the path of the inhaler across the room. He stammers something then lets you walk him up to your room. He kicks off his boots and his feet are marked and raw - he's been walking a long long way. You're probably right - he's been over to Malcom's.

"Beth, Beth, Beth," he says as his head hits the pillow. "I just wish you could see what I see. I wish you could...." his voice trails off as his eyes roll back. You back away as he passes out, but you're in the door when he grunts out "Malcom aint so bad, mate. He really ain't. He told me... told me to tell you to pay him a visit.... thinks you should work for him.... says the pay is good as long as you build what he wants you to..."

His body convulses a couple of times and he rolls over, damp with sweat.

Alexi, you open your brain to the other side and live through the past a few times over. There are dark shadowy figures stalking around the maelstrom, creatures from the west that you were never meant to see. But there is something else. You see a trapdoor in the maelstrom, a metal hatch that swings open and closed with a clang. The more you watch it, the clearer it becomes until you realise that this is not a trapdoor, but the back doors of a van. Finally, the doors swing open and you see men in armour clutching weapons. This is not something that has ever happened, but maybe something that will, or could have.

When you flicker back, Jaina's eyes are empty. The pupils are faded and muted behind a screen the colour of the sky. Her mouth hangs open and her head tilts back and a voice that isn't quite hers pours out of her.

"I came...to tell you.... that there is a man looking for you... a man named Edge. Now you know. What I don't know is, there is another with him. Bree. They're both here to kill you."

Then she's back and she doesn't remember telling you what she just said. She's rolling her eyes and asking if you are going to give her anything for the secret she knows.

Do you know Edge or Bree? What do you do? Show me a picture of Bree.

Roscoe, Pickney leaps to his feet and gives you an eager nod, drawing a knife from his belt and jogging up the aisle to the exits. He disappears and comes back when you're talking to Hoss, giving you a nod to confirm - so far as he's concerned, you're all good.

"The gently caress? Come on, boss!" Raw says. He's not pointing his gun anywhere, but he's not putting it away either. "We have her here, alone and unarmed. I'm not saying we tear her up and torture her or anything, which by the way is what Coburn would be doing to any of us if he had us in this position. Let's just waste her and throw her body out."

If it was someone else you'd think it was all part of the show to make her scared, but this is Raw.

"Alright, alright!" Hoss snaps. "Look, I was just... taking care of some business alright? Like, nothing Coburn needs to know anything about. I mean, not even off-the-books jingle stuff, I'm not stupid. I just had a personal matter to take care of that I didn't want nobody else to know about. That's all, alright? It just happened to be that I was near here, okay? It's nothing to do with you guys, and nothing to do with Coburn."

You look at her sceptically. But she's telling the truth.

You keep your roll and it's a nice one at that, but I'm not going to tell you those things all at once. You have to probe with your questions to get the answers to the second two questions, but you will get the truth in response.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bethany

Up the metal steps we go, boots clanging until I half guide, half carry Kenneth into my bedroom. I saw Malcom's quarters once - I've got nothing on him. Still, I've tried to make it homey, with a big mural on the wall in lieu of windows, and a few old screens showing video feeds from the top of the mast. That's rather calming. At least Kenneth knew to take his boots off as I lower him onto my mattress on the floor. "Malcom thinks I should do a lot of things with him," I say, screwing up my face. Never in a million years.

Can I turn down the pay? I'm wondering, even as I strip off Kenneth's shirt to he doesn't overheat. I put him on his side and do a quick sweep to make sure nothing's in his mouth. Last thing I need is him dying on me and Ingrid coming back from the storm to haunt me. I duck out of my quarters to grab an old rag, get it good and wet. As I'm pressing it to Kenneth's forehead...I realize I've already talked myself into it. gently caress, better go see Malcom.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Roscoe

"Excuse me for one moment."

I hop down from the stage and make a beeline for Raw. Giving him no time to react, I get in close and cradle his scarred face in my gloved hands. "Raw. Boy. Remember who your house mother is, eh? Who keeps you fed, eh?"
"You, Roscoe."
"Who pulled you out of that scrape with the Blighters, brought you in?"
"You did, Roscoe."
I rock his head back and forward, gently.
"Me."
He just looks blankly.
"Look." I grimace. "The Rollers get their kicks and they do what needs to be done, yeah?" A rousing hoot from the gallery. "But I made this gang, boy, and I call the shots. I call the shots because for fucks sake, I take the hits for em, huh? So do you want to call this shot, boy? You want to take the consequences of that call?"
He looks at Hoss. "N… No. No, Roscoe."
"I know you don't." I let go of his face and turn back toward the stage. "Now put that loving gun away."

Pack Alpha: 2d6+2 = 11 (5+4+2) - Raw is thoroughly cowed. I'm doing these rolls right, right?

I lean on the stage beside the wheelchair, kicking a stray bit of dirt away. "So Hoss. We have a problem. Coburn's business, your business, whatever, it's not mine. That's what I'd say on any other day. But I can't have you going back to your boss accusing us of roughing up one of his star pupils for no reason. Because these boys and girls, they were right to defend our turf."

"So let's say we make a trade. Say that I submit to my gentler nature and take you at your word, eh? Let you go about your personal business. But. You bring us in on it. Because I gotta have that insurance, case you try to screw us. Coburn can't know? Well I can. And I can keep a secret."

"If there's jingle involved we get a cut for the day, if not, you pay us a toll for walking our turf without an invite. In return we keep this hush and as part of our generous offer we'll watch your back to boot - wouldn't look good for us if you turned up dead, eh? End of the day, everybody wins."

If its possible, I'd gauge what she intends to do were we to let her go - honor the bargain, burn us, etc.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Alexi
Stats: Cool -1, Hard +3, Hot -2, Sharp +1, Weird +2 2/5

"I know this name, Bree. The other I do not. Maybe that is why Bree was the secret name. She is a Beast who hunts by name. I killed mate. She finds new, but still she is angry I think. The way is still open. This is not good, more evil from that door if not closed. I might have to be bad man again, for good place. Remember what is good to forget. Thank you friend, your knowing has made me bait and not prey. You should not stay, many know my name so I cannot hide. I have nothing to trade for new. I must hunt with fire or silver but I have none. I must make."

Even as I enjoyed my vacation in this paradise, part of me planned for the inevitable. I already scouted for a fire-trap, a broken-down industrial plant with barrels marked inflammable. That kind of heat should kill the beasts. Might kill a lot of other people if the flames get out of hand, but better that than let their sickness run free here.

Bait a trap: 2d6+3 7

I draw my prey all the way into my trap.
They are wary and alert because I've killed one before and they know I am dangerous
I expose myself to extra risk (possibly even a life-or-death fight with horrible monsters in the middle of a conflagration

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Bethany, it's good that you've made up your mind, but we both know you won't be going until Kenneth's up and about right? No way you'll leave that junky with all your fancy stuff, right?

So here's what happens. You go back to work, because you're you, and let's say that you're welding some wiring connectors, trying to build up another set of receptors ready for when your big network really starts kicking off. You've got your mask down and you're looking through just this tiny little black slit as the flame of the torch kicks up a shower of white sparks. The smell of burning and the sound of everything around you mean that you don't hear Kenneth getting up. His ruined feet are practically silent on the floor anyway. He sneaks up behind you in his drug-wasted haze and he's rummaged around under the walkway below and picked out his inhaler again.

Only this time when he comes for you from behind, he's holding it out, aiming it at you. Hands slam your mask up before you even realise he's there and then he's trying to shove the plastic into your mouth. You've got your torch in hand (Close, messy, 2 harm), but the idiots probably just wasted.

"I'm sorry!" he's crying. "Just see it how I see it! See it through my eyes! See it, Beth!"

What do you do?

Roscoe, Raw lets it go. You push your leadership and he submits, happily too. You manage to do it without making an example of him, or having to show force. He's a little grumpy, because he still thinks he's right on this one issue, but he's also willing to see that you know best overall. He sniffs, scratches the back of his head, and buries his gun in his belt.

"Aight," he says.

That little fire put out, you return to Hoss and make your bid. She listens, and is silent for a moment, stops struggling. You can almost hear the cogs turning in that big old head of hers.

"Look, Roscoe, we don't meet much, but I know you. Might sound stupid, but it aint no secret that Coburn's got his eye on you for that poo poo you pulled so in a way it feels like I known you a long time. I know you're not a bad guy and I trust you. Your kids? ...that's different. This secret, I don't want to blurt it out in front of the room, you dig? I'll tell you... gently caress it, I'll even throw you some jingle as insurance, but you've got to promise you won't use this against me, okay? And please, please, please don't tell anyone else, alright? Look, just, untie me and we'll go outside and talk then I'll walk and you won't see me again this side of the creek unless we're going to war."

You can tell from her voice that she's telling the truth. She intends to do exactly as she said. She thinks you'll be able to tell if she's lying, so she'll tell you her secret. But after that, the safest thing for her is for you go down, so she'll go back to Coburn and push him real hard to make a big move against you. He'll probably listen to...

What do you do?
[You have 1 read a person question left]
Rolls look good to me, yeah.

Alexi, Jaina has no clue what you're talking about, which you're kind of used to. She clearly doesn't remember telling you the information when the maelstrom raged in her eyes.

"What? You want the information or not, old guy? Someone's looking for you and that's all I'll say."

Remember, in Apocalypse World to do it, you have to do it. We'll save the roll and you'll draw your prey in, but its not happened just yet. Opening your mind has definitely put your blood in the water, but you could send Jaina to give them false information or try and get the word out. You heading to this inflamitory trap now?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Roscoe

I mull over the counteroffer for a few seconds, cough into my scarf. "Hmm." I jerk my head and some of the gang cut the tape restraints and haul her out into the ruddy red dusk. Once we're out I take her by the elbow, alone, until we're clear of the hideout, out by where the Hackney Brook springs out between the cobblestones and pours south, cold and clear and viscous. At that point, I take the hood off. Through the rubble we can see Coburn's office park, just across the Thames.

"You're offer's a good one. Pay me my jingle and give me your sob story. Like I said, I got no real inherent interest in your business. Coburn won't hear it from me or mine, long as you hold your end. So let's hear it."

Not expecting to see this one on good terms again, so let's see What She Hopes I'll Do

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bethany

Once I'm sure Kenny's not going to choke on his own vomit, I head back down to the shop, leaving the door open so I can hear him just in case. An hour and I have the connectors all fixed up, at least until the next time they wear. Next up, fabbing a new set of connectors and relays, which takes a mix of sawing, soldering and welding.

Hands grapple at my face, at the mask, getting up under it. I lurch and swing my elbow back, hitting the trigger to shut off my torch.

"Get off me you junkie!" I growl, shifting and trying to keep the inhaler away from my mouth. "What would Ingrid say, Kenny? You remember her, don't you!?"

Persuade Kenny: 2d6+1 10

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Alexi

I shake my head, she should have at least heard the second part. Maybe she just didn't understand. "Edge, he looks to kill me, yes? This thing you know I know, because you told me. Did you forget my knowing? I will share something easy. When storm comes from your belly to your head you must remember. You must remember. You must teach the eyes inside to see. This will save you. Maybe you do not know enough to know this in the front of your head? I share one more thing."

I wander over to the empty window frame by the kitchen. That's where I stashed my cookie, with something else. I put the cookie in her hand and the rainbow flower in her hair, "One from me, other from sun and earth. The sky hates us now, but the sun and earth, they love and give still. This place is paradise. The earth remembers. We people must remember too. Now go, if people ask for Alexi, you tell them Alexi is scavenging to the east. This is true, but it is lie. You stay far from the east, it will not be good thing."

That should be good enough. They'll know where I am soon, if not already. I do have to scavenge for an ignition trigger and prepare the trap before they come for me. I prepare my guns and leave immediately. I consider asking Bethany for help with the trap, but it would put her in danger. Better to handle it alone.

The broken building is at the edge of Miller's territory, near the river. I think it was a place for taking and giving things in the old world. I do not remember these things from my youth. I do not remember if I should remember. It is dangerous and has the smell of a cursed place where the mud beasts dwell. I spit to the earth in offering that it will help the wind stay east. I do not say this to the wind, it is spiteful.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Puddle
Cool+1 Hard-1 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird+2

Captain_Indigo posted:

Puddle, you scuttle and scramble your way to the river, looking for Fisher Mike. The wind is blowing in from the north today, not hard, but enough to carry this really awful stink of the river. It smells like salt and poo poo and dead meat. You stick your head out over a few of the little patches of 'beach' that line the riverbed, but Mike's nowhere to be seen. And then you find him.

He's spilled out and bleeding. There are two mudders standing over him. They look like all mudders - all wrinkled and puckered flesh and long, thin limbs. One has fish bones pierced through a dozen holes in her face, the other is wearing what looks like a string of animal skins around their neck. They are talking in their horrible, gulping choking language, picking through his belongings. They've not noticed you, but you can tell that Fisher Mike is still breathing down there.

What do you do?

Mudders. I don't like mudders. Nobody likes mudders. Not even most mudders like mudders, probably.
How did Mick let them get so close? Did he go fishing alone?
Either way, he's deep in the doodoo, as they say.
I scuttle a bit closer, trying for a better look.
Maybe I can spook them or something?

Assessing the sitch: 2d6+1 8
1 question plus 1 from sniffing the air.
Which enemy is most vulnerable to me?
and
How close are the wolves?
Sorry about the silence, I've had a bit of a poo poo week.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Roscoe , Hoss blinks at the bright light as you tear off her hood. She glances around, trying to make sure that you're definitely alone through bleary eyes.

"Okay, you want the truth? Here it is... I got a sister. Have done for years now. Toto. She's sickly, didn't grow right, kind of like a little kid in a teenager's body, you dig? She can eat and kinda talk and stuff, but she's not right. Well, you know how long kids like that normally last, and you know what would happen if the wrong people knew I had a sister. She'd be reduced to a bargaining chip, a loving... coin to hold over my head. She's innocent. She knows nothing. I'm not letting her get dragged into this. So I take some of my jingle and throw it to someone to look after her, and sometimes I visit. That's where I was coming back from, that's what I was doing."

She takes a deep breath and she's shaking a bit.

"So now you know. And you'll find her if you look hard enough or ask the right questions. So I guess I'm trusting you or something, huh?"

She spits on the ground, then sniffs.

"Should have just let you kill me. Guess I'm no better than anyone else, huh?"

Hoss hopes you'll give her some friendly words of advice, or validate her story somehow, as well as offer some kind of assurance that nobody will hurt Toto. You say the right things, she might even not push Coburn to make a move, but it's going to be hard.

Bethany, Kenny freezes, then shivers, then just collapses into tears.

"I'm sorry Beth, I just wanted to show you what my worlds like, you know? I hear her, Ingrid, she's out there somewhere. She can't move on and if she can't then what chance in hell have I got?

He brings the inhaler up to his mouth and goes to hammer the pressure.

What do you do? Also, tell me what happened to Ingrid.

Alexi, you stand in the centre of this old building and wait. Opening yourself up to the maelstrom has shown them your position. Perhaps it would have been easier to just try and hide, but that is not the way of a gunlugger. The ground is thick with dust and trash. You can taste the absence of life upon the air in the damp and the staleness. But the damp is relative, nothing that will stop your plan from going off.

You wait.

And they arrive. Or one does - the one that is not Bree.

He is a tall man, blonde and broad and handsome in his way. His face is broad and flat and he's got this big scar across his cheek. You're seeing him as a man, but somewhere else, below the surface, you know he is a dark shape - a night creature and a beast.

He has a shotgun in his hands, oiled and fancy looking. He is standing out in the light by the doors, so you can see him, but he can't see you. It means that you could definitely get in quick, but Bree is somewhere and she is waiting too. Perhaps this is the plan, trick you into striking so you are easy to locate, then pounce.

What do you do?

You can open fire on Edge right now and deal your harm if you desire, but you'll need to Act Under Fire if you do, to avoid getting hit straight back by Bree. Alternatively you could wait or try and draw them into conversation. Don't get me wrong, you made the roll, they are fully inside your trap.

Puddle, your strange little eyes assess the situation and make quick judgements about what you can see. This is not a thing of the wolves. They are distant for now, though they never fall far behind do they? These monster men before you with their strange languages and customs and gangly bodies are too... their own thing... to be of interest to the wolves.

The mudder to the left is most vulnerable right now. He's kind of bent over and his long, wiry body is open and unprotected. You could drop down onto him right now and do some serious damage if you wanted, but the other one would definitely know the score if you did. If you hurt the one on the left badly enough, you might be able to face the other one on one... though they are tall... It's tough to say how that would shake out.

what do you say, little homie, you feeling brave

Sorry to hear about your week, hope things get better.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Captain_Indigo posted:

Roscoe , Hoss blinks at the bright light as you tear off her hood. She glances around, trying to make sure that you're definitely alone through bleary eyes.

"Okay, you want the truth? Here it is... I got a sister. Have done for years now. Toto. She's sickly, didn't grow right, kind of like a little kid in a teenager's body, you dig? She can eat and kinda talk and stuff, but she's not right. Well, you know how long kids like that normally last, and you know what would happen if the wrong people knew I had a sister. She'd be reduced to a bargaining chip, a loving... coin to hold over my head. She's innocent. She knows nothing. I'm not letting her get dragged into this. So I take some of my jingle and throw it to someone to look after her, and sometimes I visit. That's where I was coming back from, that's what I was doing."

She takes a deep breath and she's shaking a bit.

"So now you know. And you'll find her if you look hard enough or ask the right questions. So I guess I'm trusting you or something, huh?"

She spits on the ground, then sniffs.

"Should have just let you kill me. Guess I'm no better than anyone else, huh?"

Hoss hopes you'll give her some friendly words of advice, or validate her story somehow, as well as offer some kind of assurance that nobody will hurt Toto. You say the right things, she might even not push Coburn to make a move, but it's going to be hard.

Roscoe
Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-2

I shrug a little. "I'd say you are, yeah."

I lean in close. "Rollers weren't the first children I've minded, you understand. Ignorance and innocence, they don't keep. Blue sky, red sky, doesn't matter, they don't keep and you can't make em."

I straighten her jacket, lean in even closer, nose to nose. "I know this for a fuckin fact, kid. You don't want a coin over your head? Make her something else. Teach her to hit and mean it, wing her so she knows how to take a bullet." I step back. "You want something enough, you'll lose it. So stop dreaming." I pat her on the cheek, take my jingle (how much?)and nudge her off, walk her slink away. "Good luck, kid."

When she's away I move with haste back to the spot, banging on the garage door twice on the way in. The Rollers spring up, attentive. Cheerleader pokes her head in from the side door, wiping oil off her goggles.

"Gas in five, gear check in ten, boys and girls! Timetable has moved up. Hoss is AWOL, South Gate is without a CO worth poo poo. That gives us an extra five minutes before their garrison gets their poo poo together."

"We get our kicks, and Coburn chews lead tonight. ROLL!"

The Rollers are saying "gently caress it" and seizing Coburn's compound by force. 2d6+2 = 3 + 5 + 2 = 10 We'll inflict terrible harm (+harm), take little harm (-harm), and take definite and undeniable control of the place. Coburn's guys have been sucker punched but they're not routed just yet.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 23, 2017

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Captain_Indigo posted:

Bethany, Kenny freezes, then shivers, then just collapses into tears.

"I'm sorry Beth, I just wanted to show you what my worlds like, you know? I hear her, Ingrid, she's out there somewhere. She can't move on and if she can't then what chance in hell have I got?

He brings the inhaler up to his mouth and goes to hammer the pressure.

What do you do? Also, tell me what happened to Ingrid.

I drop down with Kenny, all the way to the floor, holding him as he goes. This all seems so familiar. Ingrid did this stuff, and saw things, heard things. She said they were just trips at first, which is what it's supposed to do. Then the stories started, figures only she could see, things moving in the storm. It strained our relationship until it broke - I wanted to take care of her, get her off the poo poo, she said I was condescending and not taking her seriously. True - I wasn't. Why would I take her drug-addled hallucinations seriously?

If only I had.

She'd been rough that night, like Kenny is now, sobbing, shaking. I finally got her to sleep, through exhaustion, which took me too. The flapping of the hatch woke me up, banging on the roof in the wind, water coming into the workshop. I barely noticed Ingrid was missing until I came back, damp and cranky. Just a note, telling me she'd gone to join the maelstrom, and to watch out for Kenny. We never found a body.

I grab the inhaler from Kenny, smacking him in the process. "You want to go crazy?" I hiss at him. "Easier ways to kill yourself." This time, I stuff the inhaler in my pocket rather than just toss it away.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Alexi

No reason to shoot at the beast. Enough bullets would disable it by tearing away at crucial meat and bone, but it would soon recover. That is why she risks her mate like this, because she thinks I do not know what I know and I will treat it like a man. The point was to draw them in and then burn them, but I must be sure Bree is deep enough within. This thing is a matter of angles. Only so many places she can shoot me for shooting him. When all the world broke, the angles stayed pure, sharp, true. I trust to the angles and find Bree, and the path to her death.

Read a sitch: 2d6+1 13

What's my enemy's true position?
What's my best escape route?
What should I be on the lookout for?

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Captain_Indigo posted:

Puddle, your strange little eyes assess the situation and make quick judgements about what you can see. This is not a thing of the wolves. They are distant for now, though they never fall far behind do they? These monster men before you with their strange languages and customs and gangly bodies are too... their own thing... to be of interest to the wolves.

The mudder to the left is most vulnerable right now. He's kind of bent over and his long, wiry body is open and unprotected. You could drop down onto him right now and do some serious damage if you wanted, but the other one would definitely know the score if you did. If you hurt the one on the left badly enough, you might be able to face the other one on one... though they are tall... It's tough to say how that would shake out.

what do you say, little homie, you feeling brave

Puddle
Cool+1 Hard-1 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird+2 XP: 1

Now this looks like a right pickle, and no mistake!
I've always wanted to say that, but it'll have to wait, because now is quiet time.
Slinking into position, I reconsider my options again. Mudders arent that scary, comparativley.
They'll still gut me right quick if they get the chance though, which is one of the reasons I plan on not giving them one.
If I get the one quick, I might be able to lead the other one away, lose him, and double back.
If I can't lose him, I'll hide and Mick'll at least have a chance to get away.

Well, we'll see.

Wetting my finger, I feel the wind, because that's what you do before you throw, no matter how close or far you are.
I heft my half-brick, getting a feel for it.
Then, with a yell, I rush out and fling it right at the sucker!

Aggro: 2d6 10
Lucky! Mudder takes 2-harm.

Still need:
Bethany, are you a wolf of the Maelstrom?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Roscoe, Hoss takes what you tell her with a scrap of reserved respect, then disappears. You know she'll head back to Coburn, but you and your boys get there first.

Less than an hour later and Coburn's compound is yours. You wanted it and you take it.

So let's say, his yard is this square thing surrounded by iron gates and turrets at the corners. You simply mow the gate down and start shooting, your boys going wild. They're not ready for you and they're leaderless. Hoss is still presumably on her way back, the other general is not in either. Coburn himself is nowhere to be seen, but as you're taking count of the prisoners who managed to avoid taking a bullet already, you catch sight of one kid taking off on his bike. He's heading out west, which means Coburn is probably that way too.

"Boss," Raw asks. He's done well in the raid, made you proud. "What we gon' do about these?"

He motions to two men and a woman on their knees. Their wrists have been bound in chains. One of the men is bleeding from a stab wound in the arm, but other than that they're fine.

What are you going to do with your prisoners? Are you going to give chase or send someone after the kid fleeing West?[/i

Beth, Kenny's eyes are now tiny black pinpricks in oceans of white. He opens and closes his mouth wordlessly as you lower him to the floor. He's a dead weight, heavy and lifeless apart from the twitching and the nearly audible sound of his brain overheating. He lays there and eventually passes out into sleep.

Kenny's safe for now. Question is, are you going to go talk to your techno-nemesis, Malcom?

Alexi, you stay cold and you stay brutal. You may be old now, older than most get to be, but inside you there is the body of a hunter. Your prey is big, but you are bad and hard. So you wait.

There is a creak, subtle but audible, above you. That is where your enemy stands. Edge is out in the open, but Bree is on the roof. Its a fairly ramshackle place and knowing her strength, she could tear through the mismatched patches of scrap iron with ease. She's about twenty feet above you, and five feet ahead right now. That's what you need to be on the lookout for - death from above.

Your best escape route is a matter of opinion. Realistically, it will be quickest for you to go through Edge. You can shoot quicker than you can run. Bring him down, disable him even if its temporary, and bolt past him. That's not safest though. Your safest route is up the metal stairs and across the walkway to the back door. It'll take a while, but it'll be too dark for Bree or Edge to make you out even if they can hear you. It just depends whether they have any kind of plan up their sleeves.

What's the plan, my man?

Puddle, your projectile hits the mudder to the left with an absolutely sickening thunk. Blood and bone burst out in a little fountain and they collapse to their knees, try to talk, then fold over. Blood starts pumping out of the hole in their head before their ally even recognises what is going on.

They're quick though. They roll back, away from you and towards the river, back to safe turf. Their dark little eyes are up and looking and they see you and lock with yours before the mudder is dancing towards you. Their movements are haphazard and impossible to predict. It is like a mayfly bounding across the bank. They jump up, grab hold of the edge where you stand and begin grabbing at you with one hand. They bark mindless garbage at you filled with cursing and hissing.

[i]What do you do?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Alexi
Stats: Cool -1, Hard +3, Hot -2, Sharp +1, Weird +2 5/5

So she expects to pounce on me? Now that I know her location, I don't hesitate. I spray a long burst of bullets, the armor piercing shells blasting away her footing. With her off guard, I turn to Edge and nick him as he dives for cover.

Then, I light the world on fire.

Suck with a chance to miss: 2d6+4 7
Lay down fire on Edge: 2d6+3 7
Edge is suppressed and cannot act freely, he also takes 2-harm ap
Light up the flammable materials this building is filled with: 2d6+3 12

Feel free to gently caress with these moves, I'm new to the battle moves or else I'd just try to seize their freedom of movement by force. You know the general plan of action.

If I end up rolling hard 3 times I'm NOT TO BE hosed WITH!

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 3, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Captain_Indigo posted:

Roscoe, Hoss takes what you tell her with a scrap of reserved respect, then disappears. You know she'll head back to Coburn, but you and your boys get there first.

Less than an hour later and Coburn's compound is yours. You wanted it and you take it.

So let's say, his yard is this square thing surrounded by iron gates and turrets at the corners. You simply mow the gate down and start shooting, your boys going wild. They're not ready for you and they're leaderless. Hoss is still presumably on her way back, the other general is not in either. Coburn himself is nowhere to be seen, but as you're taking count of the prisoners who managed to avoid taking a bullet already, you catch sight of one kid taking off on his bike. He's heading out west, which means Coburn is probably that way too.

"Boss," Raw asks. He's done well in the raid, made you proud. "What we gon' do about these?"

He motions to two men and a woman on their knees. Their wrists have been bound in chains. One of the men is bleeding from a stab wound in the arm, but other than that they're fine.

What are you going to do with your prisoners? Are you going to give chase or send someone after the kid fleeing West?

Roscoe
Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-2

I frown at the sight of the kid taking off, before turning briefly to Raw. "You got other things to worry about, boy. Got us a straggler. Take lonesome and git." I whistle sharply, for emphasis. Lonesome and Raw are on their bikes in a flash and off - should make up the head start within a few minutes. However rough my boys are, they've lived their lives on their bikes. I'm betting this kid hasn't.

Once they're gone, I turn to my new captives. "Well this is some poo poo, innit? Whom do I have the pleasure of addressing? One at a time, now."

Was wondering if I could roll Don't know if you're the cat or the mouse here, for the pursuit of the kid don't know if it necessarily applies when I'm not personally following them.

Sax Battler posted:

Roscoe's a wolf wherever he goes. Less figurative in some places than others, that's all. Were it that he could remember where he is and what he achieves when he dreams.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 3, 2017

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Captain_Indigo posted:

Puddle, your projectile hits the mudder to the left with an absolutely sickening thunk. Blood and bone burst out in a little fountain and they collapse to their knees, try to talk, then fold over. Blood starts pumping out of the hole in their head before their ally even recognises what is going on.

They're quick though. They roll back, away from you and towards the river, back to safe turf. Their dark little eyes are up and looking and they see you and lock with yours before the mudder is dancing towards you. Their movements are haphazard and impossible to predict. It is like a mayfly bounding across the bank. They jump up, grab hold of the edge where you stand and begin grabbing at you with one hand. They bark mindless garbage at you filled with cursing and hissing.

What do you do?

Puddle
Cool+1 Hard-1 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird+2 XP: 1

I stumble backwards, kicking gravel towards the mudder. "gently caress, poo poo!"
Out of immediate reach, I finally get a grasp on my knife, well, my piece of sharpened rail track wrapped with tape.
With only one of them, it might be more open to the only kind of diplomacy a mudder understands.
I start flailing my blade, hissing and spitting.
"gently caress off, you stupid poo poo, I'll cut you to loving chum!"
That should be clear enough.

Aggro again: 2d6-1 6
Not so lucky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Captain_Indigo posted:

Beth, Kenny's eyes are now tiny black pinpricks in oceans of white. He opens and closes his mouth wordlessly as you lower him to the floor. He's a dead weight, heavy and lifeless apart from the twitching and the nearly audible sound of his brain overheating. He lays there and eventually passes out into sleep.

Kenny's safe for now. Question is, are you going to go talk to your techno-nemesis, Malcom?

Kenny's back in my bed, totally unconscious. There's a time when I thought he'd want nothing more...now I think he doesn't care past the next hit. It's just sad. At least he's out and won't try to attack me again. I take a couple minutes to pat down his clothes, make sure he doesn't have weapons or more drugs. Alright, he's set, Ingrid's ghost won't haunt me over him. Time to gird myself up and do the thing I really, really don't want to do.

Malcom's hold used to be some kind of government building. I'm not sure which one, not sure anybody knows, but it's big and concrete and sits right on the river, making it easier to secure, except from boats. Nobody has boats. I park my scooter a good block away, tucking it in with a few derelicts to make it less tempting, taking the rest of the distance on foot. My bag thumps my hip, and I can feel the weight of my pistol in it. It's hard to strictly control guns inside the hold when they sell them, although I'll probably have to give up my whole bag when I actually see Malcom. I march down the center of the road towards the main guard gate, arms up.

"Hey!" I call out, and after . moment a voice calls back. "Hold there!" Ralph. He knows me, even if we're not best friends. "Hey Ralph!" I call with a laugh, wincing as spotlights turn on me. No vehicles, no heavy weapons. I get waved in, giving a mock salute to Ralph. "How's the family?" I ask. Last I'd heard Ralph and his boyfriend had adopted a kid orphaned in the last big gang war. See, that's the words part about Malcom's hold - there's some decent people there. Makes me feel bad every time I have to screw around with him.

"Here to see Malcom," I add. "Might want to let him know I'm coming."

• Locked thread