Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Posted on my Chromebook!
I, poster of YOSPOS, am super jelly of OP's Chomebook
The nin switch is bad rear end
the nin switch is bad
gently caress off moo cow
View Results

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
american'ts still use imperial units so all their tech advice has by definition been outdated since the early 19th century

*programs satellites to work on fathoms per slug-fortnight or some poo poo*
*is surprised they're bad tech that blows
up due to being unable to tell where it's going*

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

a meter is too long to be a useful measure of short distances

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

hifi posted:

a meter is too long to be a useful measure of short distances

yeah that's why you use cm and dm like a reasonably well-educated fourth grader

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
my friend have you heard of the centimeter? 1/100th of a meter. it's even in the name so you can't mistake it for something else!

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

no then it would be onehundredthmeter

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

do people use dm? they should have made that size the base unit

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it's more that the foot is an aesthetically pleasing size than anything with fractions of a foot or meter or whatever. hold a ruler in your hand, it's well-sized to measuring things with a stick. anything bigger and you have a tape measure. contrast that to swinging around a meter stick, trying to get it level, etc

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
you can use whatever the gently caress you want in metric because all you have to do is move the decimal when converting. behold:

2.5 meters
25 decimeters
250 centimeters

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
amerixan brains are so dense they need units to not really exist in numbers greater than one so they made a foot of which one of them can roughly approximate a few real things in the world, negating the need to count

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious posted:

you can use whatever the gently caress you want in metric because all you have to do is move the decimal when converting. behold:

2.5 meters
25 decimeters
250 centimeters

the only thing that fucks me off about metric is that for every unit the unit name is the "centre unit" except litres because a litre of water is a KILOgram so a 100% mix of a thing in weight per volume is g/mL or Kg/L rather than g/L or whatever

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i took chemistry and i only ever wrote things in kg or g

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

echinopsis posted:

the only thing that fucks me off about metric is that for every unit the unit name is the "centre unit" except litres because a litre of water is a KILOgram so a 100% mix of a thing in weight per volume is g/mL or Kg/L rather than g/L or whatever

i think this is more because 1mg/l = 1 ppm

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

amerixan brains are so dense they need units to not really exist in numbers greater than one so they made a foot of which one of them can roughly approximate a few real things in the world, negating the need to count

we're not the ones who divided money into random amounts of pence and shillings

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if the dweebazoids that came up with the meter did any usability testing they might have found out that the ideal length is about a foot and the ideal fraction is 12 because you can cleanly divide it into thirds

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

americans are pragmatic and get poo poo done and the rest of the world is stuck philosophizing and not actually producing anything of merit

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i propose the rest of the world convert to our measurement system

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
the funny thing is that american doctors and scientists are using metric. it's the plebs that are clinging to imperial like drowning men

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if you need a scale below ounces and inches then mm and g are fine but they may as well be arbitrary just like feet and pounds are

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hifi posted:

if you need a scale below ounces and inches then mm and g are fine but they may as well be arbitrary just like feet and pounds are

yeah but the maths is a million times better so its immensley worthwhile

pram posted:

we're not the ones who divided money into random amounts of pence and shillings

mate my country saw there was a better way and turned to dolalrs.
whats yuopure country doing

hifi posted:

i took chemistry and i only ever wrote things in kg or g

people call me a "chemist" but the reality is that I ama glorified tablet monkey

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
a pint is the perfect measure for beer, if you serve me 500 ml i will pour 26.82 ml on the floor

all measurements system are dumb poo poo. how far away is that cat? it's 1/299792458 the distance it takes light to travel in the time it takes cesium 133 to transition states 9192631770 times. but you can move the decimal point if it gets closer

base 10 is stupid, humans would be colonizing mars already if we evolved with 12 or 16 fingers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

centimeters and inches are equally justifiable as human-scale units

1 inch = the length of a finger joint
1 cm = the width of a finger

feet are dumb and i have to conclude that the only reason for their existence is because the ancient english couldn't count up to triple digits.

also fractional units are stupid and bad and decimal inches are great.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

creationist believer posted:

a pint is the perfect measure for beer, if you serve me 500 ml i will pour 26.82 ml on the floor

lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

yeah but the maths is a million times better so its immensley worthwhile

mate just wait til you find out about computers

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

a pint is the perfect measure for beer

i agree

if you serve me 500 ml i will pour 26.82 ml on the floor

but a pint is 568 mL?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

~Coxy posted:

but a pint is 568 mL?

mericans can't do maths lol

or possibly he's using some weird moon units that are called the same as the other moon units everyone else thinks he's using, you decide

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

noone uses dm, it's either cm or m

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
typical american: well, you see, we use the usc system because all of the units are easy to understand and at human scale, making it possible for even the simplest child or foreigner to easily learn and understand. of course we also invented computers and calculators so we can easily convert to the less usable system preferred by other countries

european scientist: duh, duh, our system of measurement is vastly superior to the american one because it is all based on this block of platinum in some building in france and like a glass of ice water that took a hundred days to make in a lab

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

~Coxy posted:

i agree

but a pint is 568 mL?

i typed "pint in ml" in spotlight and that's what it gave me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
i was taught that "the pint's a pound the whole world round" but apparently the us can't even get that right

"However, a US pint of water weighs 1.04375 pounds and the statement does not hold the world around because the imperial (UK) pint, which was also the standard measure in Australia, India, Malaya, New Zealand, South Africa etc., weighs 1.25 pounds."

maybe a pint of water weighed a pound before we started letting so much lead get in the drikning water

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

imperial pints own for beer, I like german liter mugs too but you have to really apply yourself or else it gets warm

a bunch of bars around here were using 14oz pint glasses which is just bullshit, they didn't get busted but the abc basically said "either clearly tell people these are 14 or knock it off" so they got rid of them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

typical american: well, you see, we use the usc system because all of the units are easy to understand and at human scale, making it possible for even the simplest child or foreigner to easily learn and understand. of course we also invented computers and calculators so we can easily convert to the less usable system preferred by other countries

european scientist: duh, duh, our system of measurement is vastly superior to the american one because it is all based on this block of platinum in some building in france and like a glass of ice water that took a hundred days to make in a lab

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
measurement chat is real dumb

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

measurement chat is real dumb

it sucks poo poo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
it doesn't matter what measurement system you use, your dick is still the same size

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
all countries except America use the correct enter key size, just like metric, temperature etc hth

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just use decimal inches

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
imperial measurements are god's own measurements

don't loving @ me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

decimal inches are real good

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

just go metric quit living in the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i would actually be fine with the decimal inch as my base unit, there's nothing really special about the meter as a length so a different base unit would have worked just as well

but only as long as i can describe lengths as kiloinches and megainches. :colbert:

weird fact: the scandinavian mile is 10 km and is a very common informal unit of measure to use.

• Locked thread