Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

When you're the global hegemon, all postures are defensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Lawman 0 posted:

Has one ever considered a defensive posture

There's like two wars the US was in, ever, that qualify as defensive. Not going to happen unless people stop believing US empire is for the good of the world rather than for the good of the oligarchy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its really funny because when I was in the military, everyone from rank and file airmen like me to the wing commander complained about how the personnel/actual unit funding was at ridiculous all-time lows but for some reason R&D and production contracts are like 80% of the national budget or whatever

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i skimmed like three sentences and concluded that the writer started with the conclusion GIVE US MORE MONEY and just tried to build a case for it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Its really funny because when I was in the military, everyone from rank and file airmen like me to the wing commander complained about how the personnel/actual unit funding was at ridiculous all-time lows but for some reason R&D and production contracts are like 80% of the national budget or whatever

:thunk:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What im saying is, hang the nobles

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They privatized chow halls by thee time the Iraq War was in full swing. The USMIC is little more than an elaborate scheme to reappropriate public funds into the private sector. Even the CIA and FBI have to massively outsource intelligence work to private contractors because of artificial caps placed on government agencies in terms of employment & salaries. Generally speaking no government employee is supposed to earn a bigger salary than a congressman, and the same is true of the military. Max base salary for a four star general is only $180,000. You'd have to be insanely principled not to do grift work for private companies which can guarantee you twice that amount for consultancy in "retirement."

tl;dr it's arbitrarily impossible for the government & military as-is to compete with the private sector and retain its own brain trusts, so now the brains are all thinking of ways they can grift the government instead of serving the public

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They privatized chow halls by thee time the Iraq War was in full swing. The USMIC is little more than an elaborate scheme to reappropriate public funds into the private sector. Even the CIA and FBI have to massively outsource intelligence work to private contractors because of artificial caps placed on government agencies in terms of employment & salaries. Generally speaking no government employee is supposed to earn a bigger salary than a congressman, and the same is true of the military. Max base salary for a four star general is only $180,000. You'd have to be insanely principled not to do grift work for private companies which can guarantee you twice that amount for consultancy in "retirement."

tl;dr it's arbitrarily impossible for the government & military as-is to compete with the private sector and retain its own brain trusts, so now the brains are all thinking of ways they can grift the government instead of serving the public

Nationalize all that poo poo imo immediately

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I did the math once and if I ate at the chow hall for 2 roughly 1250 calorie meals a day, it would end up costing like $700 a month at like ~$13 a meal. The stipend the Air Force gave me in lieu of free meals was $230 or so. :downs:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I didn't get that stipend nor was I registered for meal cards for like 8 months, and when I was getting it sorted out my chief didn't let me get the meal card even when I pointed out how it was a massive rip off since I usually ate at the chow hall anyway

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

quote:

The study team suggests there is a single core defense implication of hyperconnectivity—”speed kills.” With hyperconnectivity comes a quantum increase in the velocity of change in strategic circumstances.

lmao is all us military writing like this

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think to be truly representative it needs to include the term "kinetic".

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Nationalize all that poo poo imo immediately

That would be the natural solution to the problem, but first you have to get over the hurdle of inherited wisdom that the government workforce should be capped at around 2 million, which it has been since the 1950s.

http://historyinpieces.com/research/federal-personnel-numbers-1962

I had to go to a JFK history site just to find somebody who had graphed both Federal & military employment together but it's all there. The federal employment level has been roughly the same size since 1960 at 2 million employees, despite the country's population growing by 72% since then. What has been downsized since then is military personnel in two big waves, during the drawdown from Vietnam and the end of the Cold War when Bush & Clinton thought it was appropriate to downsize the military - in terms of personnel. Even after 16 years of a global war on terror, military employment has barely gone up at all. All of those functions have either been outsourced to contractors or sunk into more R&D.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

chuunibyou demo sensou ga shitai

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the entire united states government just being a vehicle to enrich a few dozen companies and contractors through unspeakable violence is pretty cool imo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Larry Parrish posted:

the elites want ed209's so they dont even need ground troops that could possibly turn on them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Slightly related but after a month of Qatar refusing to address the list of demands the Saudis the latter are backing off. loving owned.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
saudi arabia realized they couldnt starve qatar like they're doing with yemen

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Can't wait for Bellingcat's vicious expose on the cholera epidemic in Yemen. Any day now.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAQzoqdNsmo

"344,000 people are infected or suspected to be infected with cholera... 42% are children" :nsa:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

saudi arabia realized they couldnt starve qatar like they're doing with yemen

I lolled how Trump gave Saudi Arabia a blank check since he's a narcissistic easily manipulated rube.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8iofZIdaVM

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
oh hey this thread exists

well i don't know why people pay bellingcat and sy hersh so much attention compared to people in the actual war who don't have a choice whether or not to participate in it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Peel posted:

lmao is all us military writing like this
military writing is some of the worst writing there is. worse than engineers.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/889714761725865984

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmfao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

also lmfao

https://twitter.com/gulf_news/status/889572646458843140

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the middle east is cool lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"Firearms experts tell us that there's nothing tying these weapons to Russia, but American military officials say 'YUH-HUH!'"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only expansion on the GWOT I would support would be tactical strikes on every living member of the House of Saud

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We have all these drones, and we oughta use them for global good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It would honestly be epic if it was true and the roles in the fight against the Mujahids completely reversed tbh

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's probably true I guess, but the truth of the thing isn't really what matters.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6rFJnKYPNU

https://youtu.be/S3TH5bj55rs

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
good news! we're gonna hire erik prince's mercs to take over the forever war!!!

http://www.ibtimes.com/political-capital/erik-princes-afghanistan-plan-could-boost-his-company-china-2576492

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The greatest plan to date for making the Taliban seem sympathetic.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's probably true I guess, but the truth of the thing isn't really what matters.

What is the thing what really matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Squalid posted:

What is the thing what really matters

The war.

Whether or not the Russians are supplying weapons to the Taliban isn't really important, because if they are it's being done with enough plausible deniability that there's not really anything America could do about it. What matters is that the Taliban is apparently capable of fighting the occupation indefinitely.

• Locked thread