Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Whoever she is keep racing, I am finally besting you :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm back.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Mods please change ParasolProphet's name to Girl Villager.

Yeah, I'd be okay with this.

Also yes, if Jonas suddenly (a) stops playing as Peach and (b) starts sucking like crazy, it's because he gave me the controller.

The disparity between our skill levels is because I don't play Mario Kart like it's the night job I took to feed a starving family.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Harsh.

Translation: I'm not good at Mario Kart.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

loving ghost.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I'm cheating

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

I'm cheating

That's fine, so is the item distrobution.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

LethalGeek is better than me at Mario Kart.

Wait a sec I wasn't playing tonight! Did I win?!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo really needs to improve the online in this. I'm getting connection errors in like half the games I enter.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
can you take a few friends and all join a 12 man lobby? I am still new to this.

also you all are really good in the tourny!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

can you take a few friends and all join a 12 man lobby? I am still new to this.

also you all are really good in the tourny!

Yes. Use the friends option and if there's a racing flag next to their name then their lobby is joinable. Can play in public lobbies like this too.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
Guys, is it just me, or is Frantic mode less Frantic than on the wiiu? I remember 4 player versus races where the 3rd placed would get bill rocket and other really funny stuff, but that doesn't seem to happen with deluxe any more. :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd never even noticed the difference much with frantic on Wii U. I don't think it increases the likelihood of the powerful items by all that much.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Get innnnnnnnn.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
why am i owning the AI left and right but when i play online it is me, who gets owned. do the different car parts give you different speeds? is there a chart listing each characters strengths and weakness? i want to own more in online. i am always coming in last.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Vikar Jerome posted:

why am i owning the AI left and right but when i play online it is me, who gets owned. do the different car parts give you different speeds? is there a chart listing each characters strengths and weakness? i want to own more in online. i am always coming in last.

Push + on the parts selection

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Parts selection doesn't really matter most of the time. Just continue using what you like.

As for why you keep getting owned, people are just good online and much more adapt than any of the AI. Keep practicing and watch replays if you want to see what people that constantly win do.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

SeANMcBAY posted:

Parts selection doesn't really matter most of the time. Just continue using what you like.

As for why you keep getting owned, people are just good online and much more adapt than any of the AI. Keep practicing and watch replays if you want to see what people that constantly win do.

is this inaccurate??

https://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8_Deluxe#Drivers.27_Statistics

same for parts, obviously.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It is accurate. I just don't personally find it to matter that much. I always play my heavy Mii but I constantly switch kart parts around and have consistent results. That's just me though, heavier top speed set ups definitely feel different from the opposite and I can see most people not liking those at first. I also can't use inside drifting bikes but they feel great to others.

Just use what feels good.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I will point out the heavy characters tend to stay in front online since human players can protect their rear end better and that top speed plays out more. Speed costs handling though so it's something you have to work up to. I can't even do a light weight anymore I'm so used to driving with a dragging rear end by comparison.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

I will point out the heavy characters tend to stay in front online since human players can protect their rear end better and that top speed plays out more. Speed costs handling though so it's something you have to work up to. I can't even do a light weight anymore I'm so used to driving with a dragging rear end by comparison.

I will defeat you with Peach.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Mother of god, I knew single player wouldn't prepare you for online mode but holy moly every game is complete madness and I love it

And I just got 1st for the first time :smug:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
do you get 3 stars on all lower ccs if you beat them all on higher?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Vikar Jerome posted:

do you get 3 stars on all lower ccs if you beat them all on higher?

150cc and under: yes, you never have to touch 100cc or 50cc
Mirror is it's own thing
I don't know if 200cc cups translate to 150cc

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr Cheeto posted:

150cc and under: yes, you never have to touch 100cc or 50cc
Mirror is it's own thing
I don't know if 200cc cups translate to 150cc

200cc is also its own thing and doesn't translate to 150cc.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Dolphin Shoals can suck a gently caress, why does everyone keep voting for this horrible map I've played it like three times today

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dolphin Shoals owns. The sax solo after the eel makes me smile every time.:dance:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I used to go online confident that short of a shell barrage, I could easily secure a place in the top 6, top 4 even. Then just the other day I finally hit 3000 VR and what the gently caress suddenly everyone is good now; everyone's got a rank going from 3k to 7k, they all race in close proximity to each other, and if you slip up once you're severely punished. Hollly crap

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
anyone trying to get some races going tonight?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Argue posted:

I used to go online confident that short of a shell barrage, I could easily secure a place in the top 6, top 4 even. Then just the other day I finally hit 3000 VR and what the gently caress suddenly everyone is good now; everyone's got a rank going from 3k to 7k, they all race in close proximity to each other, and if you slip up once you're severely punished. Hollly crap

welcome to mario kart, you will not survive

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Okay, let's play!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

:siren:New update has dropped.:siren:

Version 1.2

Players can use Pikmin-themed amiibo to unlock a Pikmin Suit for the Mii driver.

Race rules and course name are now displayed on loading screens for online and wireless play, as well as Mario Kart TV.

Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.

In online matches, no more than two Piranha Plants will be granted as items at the same time.

Controls are no longer unresponsive when the timer runs out when choosing a Mii racing suit for online matches.

When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players.

Item wheel no longer spins continuously in online matches.

Online matches now end as intended 30 seconds after the first place racer finishes.

The Boomerang now returns to the first slot, if possible, after a player catches it.

Items shown in a player’s item slots now display correctly when holding an item behind them.

No longer possible to use an item after it has been used to block an attack.

Communication errors no longer occur frequently while spectating or after spectating online matches.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 29, 2017

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.

*mario kart intensifies*, basically. Otherwise, a ton of good quality of life changes.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I already unlocked the pikmin amiibo suit before this update???

fun fact: I have yet to get a lightning bolt from an item block

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

SeANMcBAY posted:

When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players.

Item wheel no longer spins continuously in online matches.

No longer possible to use an item after it has been used to block an attack.

What do these mean? And the last one is a given, isn't it? Shells and bananas are taken out of commission if they block other shells or bananas.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

In online matches, no more than two Piranha Plants will be granted as items at the same time.

This is really good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Argue posted:

What do these mean? And the last one is a given, isn't it? Shells and bananas are taken out of commission if they block other shells or bananas.

They’re all glitches. I’ve definitely noticed hitting someone’s shell and then watching them launch it right after before. The item roulette not stopping I’ve also noticed in laggier matches.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Boomerang now returns to the first slot, if possible, after a player catches it.

Gah no, I liked being able to put it in reserve

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Wow goon tourney died quickly! No one in it for weeks, really? C'mon Goonies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

oh god, 150cc in single player is fun as gently caress. i had been playing 50cc and almost lapping the cpu and it was just loving boring. they were not kidding about high speed thrills.

• Locked thread