Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Do Commander precons ever add new cards to Pauper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sailor Viy posted:

Unless it's changed recently, rarity in precons is decided like this:

If it's a reprint, it has the rarity it had last time.
If it's not a reprint, it has a rarity based on how many of the precons it appears in--so like, rares only appear in one of them, uncommons appear in two or three, and commons appear in all of them.

So, commons do appear, but they're never existing cards, and they're usually useless things like command tower.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sailor Viy posted:

The basic landcycling card is from the last commander set and that shows up in pauper some.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
Hi friends I don't play MTG but I was hoping you could help me anyway. I'm looking for the name of a specific card so I can show it to a friend. I think it was a MTG card from a non-serious/joke set.

I remember literally nothing about it other than the art, which was making fun of World of Darkness/Vampire the Masquerade LARPers by showing some pretend-vampire pale goth making the arm symbol for 'in hiding' and a kid excitedly pointing him out.

Not knowing the name of the card or the set or even the artist makes it super tough to search google for it so I hope someone else remembers this thing! (Also that I didn't make it up somehow!!)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sailor Viy posted:

Yes, Ash Barrens is Pauper legal and needs to be printed in the next Standard set. It is a great, well balanced card.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Vanant posted:

Hi friends I don't play MTG but I was hoping you could help me anyway. I'm looking for the name of a specific card so I can show it to a friend. I think it was a MTG card from a non-serious/joke set.

I remember literally nothing about it other than the art, which was making fun of World of Darkness/Vampire the Masquerade LARPers by showing some pretend-vampire pale goth making the arm symbol for 'in hiding' and a kid excitedly pointing him out.

Not knowing the name of the card or the set or even the artist makes it super tough to search google for it so I hope someone else remembers this thing! (Also that I didn't make it up somehow!!)

Doesn't ring a bell, but here are the full lists for both of the joke sets:
http://magiccards.info/query?q=%28e%3Auh%2Fen+or+e%3Aug%2Fen+or+e%3Auhaa%2Fen%29&v=card&s=cname
I looked through them and didn't notice anything fitting that description, but maybe you have a keener eye than I do.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
So is this the unofficial standard thread or is there a healthy amount of modern players as well?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

As far as I can tell, this is the official unofficial "Standard sucks let's play literally anything else" thread. :v:

On that note, this is my first prerelease, any tips?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Siivola posted:

Try and stick to to two colors, if possible. Even if you have 1-2 amazing bombs in a third color, if you have nothing else in that it's usually better to go for consistency, then to ruin your mana base just for a couple of cards.

Beyond that - just have fun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Siivola posted:

As far as I can tell, this is the official unofficial "Standard sucks let's play literally anything else" thread. :v:

Open a masterpiece. I suggest Consecrated Sphinx, Worship, Attrition, Mind Twist, or just Force of Will for money.

Beyond that, it looks like you want 17-18 lands depending on how much Embalm stuff you have to sink your mana into. Listen to Limited Resources' latest episode to see what commons and uncommons are good, read LSV's written limited reviews for the rares and good jokes, and read Paulo's prerelease preview later this week if he writes an article again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hellsau posted:

Beyond that, it looks like you want 17-18 lands depending on how much Embalm stuff you have to sink your mana into.

the conventional wisdom, or so i hear, is that cycling lets you play less lands, even in slow formats.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010

Johnny Landmine posted:

Doesn't ring a bell, but here are the full lists for both of the joke sets:
http://magiccards.info/query?q=%28e%3Auh%2Fen+or+e%3Aug%2Fen+or+e%3Auhaa%2Fen%29&v=card&s=cname
I looked through them and didn't notice anything fitting that description, but maybe you have a keener eye than I do.

I didn't see it either! Thanks for looking, I guess it will have to remain a mystery/a product of my fevered imagination.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Open a masterpiece.
Can do! :v:

Hellsau posted:

Listen to Limited Resources' latest episode to see what commons and uncommons are good, read LSV's written limited reviews for the rares and good jokes, and read Paulo's prerelease preview later this week if he writes an article again.
Oh thanks, I'll make sure to look into these!

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
It looks like the mesoamerican merfolk is gonna be a thing?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

myDad posted:

So is this the unofficial standard thread or is there a healthy amount of modern players as well?

This is a catch-all thread, I usually post deep discussion of Modern tech in the Eternal thread. We have the Brewhaus thread for Standard deck discussion but it hasn't seen much posting lately for a few reasons.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!
Have we mentioned Draftsim in here yet? Because it's pretty cool.

http://draftsim.com/draft.php?mode=Sealed_AKH

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Vanant posted:

I have no idea how I remembered this because I must have only seen this in a magazine. It's from another CCG called Guardians that probably didn't last very long.

https://www.listia.com/auction/4438198-single-guardians-ccg-obfuscate-card-tim

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Wait wait! I don't want to miss the DCI dickwaving chat! It's the only thing in my life that's baller

I'm excited for prereleases, my wife lets me play hooky from the family and kids all weekend and just nerd out. Doing midnight, Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon for probably 17 rounds of magic total. Then a BBQ on Sunday and party with all the other exhausted nerds.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

TheChirurgeon posted:

It takes more work than it's worth for an 8-digit number imho, but you can work with customer service to dig up old DCI numbers and consolidate them into a single account. I had to do this to get my 6-digit number back in the day, since I no longer had my DCI cards from 1997. Mostly involved me giving them address/reg data and it took a while, but it's cool to see the old Neutral Ground events I was in show up on my Planeswalker Points record

I had a hell of a time merging my DCI numbers (somehow my Wizards Account one had a different number I had never used, and all my play history was bound to a different account with the same email address). Turned out it was because I had a bunch of Judge history on there (I'm not a Judge), I was all "wtf" and then I remembered I originally signed up for DCI to play D&D in my local store before I even played magic and they were counting sessions I DMed.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

St0rmD posted:

I had a hell of a time merging my DCI numbers (somehow my Wizards Account one had a different number I had never used, and all my play history was bound to a different account with the same email address). Turned out it was because I had a bunch of Judge history on there (I'm not a Judge), I was all "wtf" and then I remembered I originally signed up for DCI to play D&D in my local store before I even played magic and they were counting sessions I DMed.

That's interesting. I only really ever played magic in sanctioned events (though I did play some Pokemon back in the day), so I never had to worry about other games on my record.

Yeah the process itself took a long time, but I found WotC service to be very helpful, especially when all I had to give them was old mailing addresses I used, since my earliest activity predated common email addresses.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Six-digit DCI number-haver here. I think you had to register prior to 2000...I believe it was around '96 for me.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

mattah posted:

Have we mentioned Draftsim in here yet? Because it's pretty cool.

http://draftsim.com/draft.php?mode=Sealed_AKH

I just did 5 quick sealed pools with this and it gave me Boros every time with the AutoBuild option...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The only DCI number worth having is 42069.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

How about 69420? Or even just 420 by itself?

EDIT: Also, 80085

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

My brain scan-parsed this as a Les Mis joke

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Serperoth posted:

How about 69420? Or even just 420 by itself?

EDIT: Also, 80085

Oh right 80085 is also good. 42069 is obviously more powerful than 420, and the 420 should happen before the 69. Er I mean it sounds better.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

Nice.

They did an invitational tournament back in the early 2000s with the prize being the DCI number 1. Iirc it was done with a Rochester draft using the oversized cards they used to print every now and then.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Rinkles posted:

the conventional wisdom, or so i hear, is that cycling lets you play less lands, even in slow formats.

This format looks like it has plenty of ways to use extra mana though - I would default to 17 here, 18 only if you somehow have a high curve and little cycling which seems impossible since a lot of the big creatures have it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

Six-digit DCI number-haver here. I think you had to register prior to 2000...I believe it was around '96 for me.

I got a sixer starting with 7 at Tempest prerelease.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Smashing Link posted:

Also six-digits here (Revised through Exodus, yeah which means I left right before Urza block, then back around New Phyrexia). This adds up, because if memory serves I probably did register in 1996.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

Sarcastro posted:

Also six-digits here (Revised through Exodus, yeah which means I left right before Urza block, then back around New Phyrexia). This adds up, because if memory serves I probably did register in 1996.

So I *had* a 6 digit number originally in the mid/late 90s, but then two digits (90) were added to the front of it at some point. At the time, I was told it was being done across the board. Does that make any sense?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah they added two digits as a check sum, or something. Mine are 20, but I think I can still use the sixer if they can look it up?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Siivola posted:

Your deck may be complete trash because your pool is just poor, it happens. You also might have a completely bonkers pool. Sealed is a crapshoot but keep in mind everyone is in the same boat.

40 card deck / 17 lands is a good start.

For a non-heavy mana fixing set, I try to stick to two colors. I determine the colors by figuring out what have my best rares ("bomb rares") that require immediate answers otherwise they take off with the game, best creatures or in some cases enough creatures, and removal. Check up CFB's limited reviews - pay attention to their "best commons" or cards they label "mythic uncommons" - these cards are usually exceptional. You also may have to play a third color just to get there for playables.

Pre-releases are usually pretty laid back and if you know of specific people at your store as good limited players you can always ask them to take a peek at your pool and give some pointers. Most people really into limited love looking at pools and building decks from them

In sealed at the local store level I frequently see people doing the following
- playing too many colors without adequate mana fixing in a non-multicolor set.
- cutting lands without really knowing what they're doing
- playing rares for the sake of playing rares. Evaluate the cards, they might be amazing in constructed but bad in limited. This applies to masterpieces as well
- not playing enough creatures
- not staying open to playing colors / archetypes they normally don't play
- not knowing what the creatures on the battlefield do. Read all the keywords and know what they mean / do on your opponents cards and yours. This sounds completely dumb but every prerelease people end not blocking something because they assume it has flying due to the art or miss things like first strike and get blown out in blocks
- not calling a judge because they are worried about confrontation, hurting their opponents feelings, or some other weird reason. If you don't understand something or you're confused calling a judge is OK.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lone Goat posted:

I got a sixer starting with 7 at Tempest prerelease.

6 digit here starting with a 6 from a Type 2 tournament in Summer 1997, just before Tempest

e: It's also funny to look back at my history and see multiple multi-year gaps from when I just took a break from magic and sold all my cards (which was a mistake every time)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I still have my original Mana Player Identification card, number 137374. I played from Revised through Visions.

When I came back to play in FNMs starting with Alara Reborn they gave me a new DCI card and number formatted XXXX-XXX-XXX, but after a bit I had them look me up and they found my old number. They added 3030 in front so now I'm 3030137374 I think.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

LSV went on record at the end of the set review saying he thinks Amonkhet could break into his top 5 limited formats of all time. High hopes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Creature flashback, split card flashback, cycling, big butts, what's not to like?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

- not knowing what the creatures on the battlefield do. Read all the keywords and know what they mean / do on your opponents cards and yours. This sounds completely dumb but every prerelease people end not blocking something because they assume it has flying due to the art or miss things like first strike and get blown out in blocks
Yeah, I got a taste of this at the Open House event last weekend, when at 2 life I failed to notice that my Victory's Herald gave all attacking creatures flying and lifelink. The person playing with me was kind enough to point that out before I could skip combat. :shobon:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Siivola posted:

Yeah, I got a taste of this at the Open House event last weekend, when at 2 life I failed to notice that my Victory's Herald gave all attacking creatures flying and lifelink. The person playing with me was kind enough to point that out before I could skip combat. :shobon:

Not uncommon behavior at FNM-level stuff. There will be assholes, but my experience w/ the mtg community is predominantly positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ShaneB posted:

LSV went on record at the end of the set review saying he thinks Amonkhet could break into his top 5 limited formats of all time. High hopes.

It has a very high ceiling just based on the mechanics they chose - cycling and flashback variants are time-tested Good Mechanics, and Exert looks like one of those subtle tough decision keywords that will play really well. There's only a few commons I wouldn't ever want to put in my deck and the common creatures are strong across the board in interesting ways. If the set fails it'd have to be on color imbalance, which is something that can be hard to spot without playing a bunch.