Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I agree that the case really isn't solvable at this point, but what first came to mind for me is the spilled beer, which suggests someone was up during the night in Chiemi's room. (If there's some way Tsukasa might have knocked it over in her sleep, people who know more about kotatsu-sleeping, feel free to correct me.) Chiemi's "sloppy drunk" act is so heavy that I'm wondering if it's all a setup to alibi herself. Here's how I can see it going, broken down into bullet points, because it was getting long in paragraph form:

1. Chiemi has Tsukasa go out drinking with her. This is a regular occurrence, so Tsukasa expects Chiemi to get crazy drunk; instead, Chiemi moderates her consumption some and acts a lot drunker than she is. (It's easy enough to fool people that you're acting like they expect you to act, after all, and I'm guessing Chiemi has reasonable alcohol tolerance given that she's mentioned as tall and athletic and is also a fairly serious drinker, so she could probably still drink a fair bit for appearance's sake.)
2. Chiemi fakes sloppy drunkenness all the way home, particularly in her dormitory, so multiple witnesses will state that she was extremely drunk and conspicuously uncoordinated (falling against the wall, having to be supported by Tsukasa, etc.)
3. Chiemi has Tsukasa stay the night, to create an alibi, and fakes deep chainsaw-snoring sleep until Tsukasa is asleep herself. She then sneaks out of the room, inadvertently knocking over the can of beer that Tsukasa left on the kotatsu and that Chiemi presumably couldn't see in the dark.
4. Chiemi puts on rubber gloves, grabs a kitchen knife, and stabs Shinobu from behind. This may have been in the kitchen, or the body may have been moved; this is the part of the case that's the least clear right now. However it happens, Chiemi kills Shinobu, leaves the body in the kitchen, and disposes of evidence (and maybe a red herring? I'm not buying the "dying message" thing, especially from someone who got stabbed in the back). Presumably the rest of the dorm is asleep at this point, if the murder occurred between midnight and 1:00.
5. Chiemi goes back to her room, where Tsukasa is still asleep, and falls asleep herself for real this time. Tsukasa wakes up, finds Chiemi asleep, and assumes she slept through the night.

This gives Chiemi two dimensions to her alibi: one, that at the time of the murder she was sloppily drunk and unable to walk under her own power, let alone kill someone and possibly move a body; two, that a friend spent the night in her room and can verify that she was asleep all night. The spilled beer, though, suggests that someone was awake in that room during the night, and Chiemi is the one who wouldn't have known it was there to stumble into and knock over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

^That's more or less what I was thinking, too. Plus, we really don't know enough about the other girls in the dorm to reasonably suspect any of them.

I don't think the dying message was necessarily faked, because what purpose would that serve if the killer was going to destroy it anyway? I think it's probably just going to end up being unnecessary for solving the case, which makes it a red herring in the narrative sense, I guess

The bus accident is an odd detail, but the fact that the characters bring up the idea that Aki might not have been on the bus makes me even less suspicious of her. Maybe the idea that Chiemi didn't know she was away will somehow be relevant? I'm about 50/50 on the bus accident being either another red herring or the one vital piece that unlocks the entire mystery

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Chiemi was acting like she was up to something the entire time.
But now we have to add something else into the equation.

"Well fine. By the way, did you happen to sneak any pictures of the scene?"
"Ah."
Tsukasa reacts, finally realizing it, and bites her lips as she goes "drat".
She was so shocked of the incident that she wasn't in any state to.

"Ah, well... I didn't bring my camera either"
Tsukasa looking like defeated, makes Marunouchi feel a bit at ease. These days cellphones can take pictures with quite a bit of quality. She seems to have prospects of being a cameraman, but she doesn't seem to have what it takes to be a reporter at least.

The reason for Marunouchi's apprehension is because it would be bad if murder photos were leaked to the net or sold to magazines. People generally forget the words of what people saw in cases, but they remember shocking images for a long time. Even if the case itself is ordinary.

If the investigation were to prolong even a little bit it's clear as day that the public, the media and eventually the top brass would come to pester, so it would be best to avoid that as much as possible. There are circumstances and paces to follow in crime scenes.

"That's good. You're more suited for taking pictures of your family at amusement parks"
Marunouchi smiles and turns to Chiemi.
"Well then Nitsuru Chiemi, I'd like to ask you about the situation."

Chiemi timidly talks about last night from when she talked with Shinobu. Secondly Tsukasa testifies the same thing. There were a few discrepencies in their stories but it's within the realm of error. However when Tsukasa gets to the part after they found the body,
"Wait a minute. So then you opened the window?"
"Yeah, is that a problem?"

"That girl is one thing, but you've encountered many murders. Don't you know not to mess with the scene?"
"But it smelled so bad. It would be bad if it was poisonous gas. And Shinobu could have still been breathing"

She has a way with words. There was a strong wind blowing at dawn. From the time of the crime until 7 to 8 hours, the window was closed the entire time keeping the inside in order. That is what gave Marunouchi an itch in his head.

"Well whatever the case, you can't be the culprit"
"Are you going to trusting me?"
Tsukasa's eyes lit up. But Marunouchi coldly shakes his head, and explains the profiling he did.
"How mean. Then if I'm so unrefined, then what about senpai? She's the type of girl who buys things at the supermarket infront of the train station without putting any make up on"

"You called me unrefined! You're the mean one, Tsukasa. You keep tofu in your fridge for a year. I almost ate it yesterday."
"You would probably be fine eating it, wouldn't you senpai? You look like you have a barbaric stomach that can make vitamin c out of it anyway"

juicedup fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 23, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Lately I've been thinking that Marionettes really may have something to do with the trick. Aki is so good at marionetting that she can be in two places at once.

anyways on to the update...

Chiemi's face becomes red, they then begin to argue. It seems her and Tsukasa are just like each other. Moreover, they they both think they're better than the other. In a disgusted tone he says,
"If you two are going to fight, then do it elsewhere. I'm busy"
""You're the one who started it!""

Not just Tsukasa, but Chiemi too glared at Marunouchi. They were like sisters in synch. He wanted to throw a beer bottle that were scattered around the table, but he stopped when he remembers his position. Then Tsukasa looks like she thought of something, and with a somewhat obsequious tone says,
"But, isn't it possible that the culprit tried to take back the glove?"
(Tsukasa is asking that they tried to take back the gloves from getting burned, I think? And trying to imply the culprit isn''t as cautious or smart as Marunouchi thinks he is)

"What's this? You want me to suspect you that much? But that approach is weak. Seeing as how there were kitchen gloves hanging by the stove. And they were conspicuously pink. What the culprit feared most was to be faulted by getting seen the moment they entered the scene. Especially since college students are an unhealthy bunch who are prone to staying up late,

and since it's Saturday then they would stay up late even mores. And it would be safer if they just used the gloves hanging on the kitchen wall. Leaving aside using the gloves when stabbing them to death, if it's just to use them to cut off the sheet then they would use them. Somone like you would do that, wouldn't you?"
She nods and says, "I guess" reluctantly.

"So then, when you opened the window, was it locked?"
"No, unlocked."
"I see. Then let ask again. Did you mess with anything else? Like a ventilation fan?"
"I didn't touch anything. I tried to perserve the crime scene, you know. I just couldn't the air, so I aired it out that's all."

The fan ventalation wasn't on when the police arrived. Because it's an old kind of fan, the vibrations tramsmit through the walls and make noise, making it impracticle to use at night. It could be that the culprit ignored the stench while he burnt it, or maybe opened the window, then closed it when he was done. If the window was opened for a small while, then the order of the room should be fine
(I don't know what the narrator is meaning by "Order of the room" The japanese word is seizen 整然 which means orderly, regular, systematic)

Marunouchi had an expression that looked like he had something lodged in his throat for a moment.
"More importantly, there's one thing that I want to ask you"
Tsukasa asked changing her expression into one of nervousness
"You've been asking a lot of questions, oh well, what is it?"
"Was Hayato Aki truly in an accident?"

"Oh, that? Unfortunately the rescue work is still underway, it's still uncertain if they're alive. And the snow is making the work difficult. The winters here are nothing compared to the one's up in Hokkaido. ...Don't tell me you think that was part of a murder plan and not an accident. You think too much. I've confirmed with the police that it's just a simple landslide with no relation to the case"

"No, not that"
She goes actually, and talks about the fight between Aki and Shinobu. Marunouchi listens as he strokes his boastful stache, but says

"What you're trying to say is that Aki was never on the microbus. Of course we have no way of knowing wether or not until the rescue work is finished, but it's obvious she isn't the culprit. Seeing as how the culprit never left after the crime."

Marunouchi talks about the footprints in the snow. With Tsukasa's testimony, the three sets of footprints have to be of Tsukasa, Chiemi, and Shinobu.

"So the culprit is somewhere in here, you mean?"
"It seems so. I asked the manager lady to let me investigate the empty rooms and Aki's room, but it seems no one was in there"

Chiemi's expression becomes stiffened. Having only small thoughts that the culprit may be within them, and having those thoughts declared true by a detective must be quite a shock. Or could it be that she's panicking that her plan came to nothing. Marunouchi pays close attention to her expression.

He then says,
"Of course, you two aren't an exception. Even if you two were in the same room, one of you could sneek out while the other is sleeping"
"How mean. First you say we aren't the culprit, then you say we are. I think you're getting too old for this job, detective"

"If I have to keep seeing your face every case then I'll gladly retire. Is that all for this conversation? Well then go, get gone. I'm busy"
"How mean. You just listned to my question and then oppress it with excuses. And there's still something I need to ask you."
"Didn't you say you needed to ask me one thing before?"

He gives an order to Shibata by pointing his chin. Tsukasa gave it her all to resist against Shibita, but he somehow kicked her out.
...The calm after a storm.
After thanking Shibita who looked down and out with his glasses out of place, he gives him his next orders.
"Now, bring the resident of room 201."

juicedup fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 23, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
What if the Shinobu that they saw was actually a marionette?
The culprit used their drunkeness to make them think they were talking to Shinobu, when in fact she was already dead.
...anyways update time:

What resulted after hearing everyone's testimonies was that Marunouchi learned that at the night of the case, no one had an alibi.

Mitsue from room 201 in Saturday returned home at 7. Her and other archeology students in friday to Saturday, spent the night when they went to an ruin excavation at north Gunma(a prefecture in Kantou), when she got back home she confined herself to her room and looked through documents through the night until 2 AM, but she didn't hear a single suspicous sound the whole time.

Takitani Sayaka of room 202, went out shopping for doll supplies with her marionette friends, she says she got back home before 7 at night. She says she got tired from walking around Shibuya all day, and slept at 11 because she was tired. Same with her she heard no suspicous sounds.

Kamijou Mari of room 203, an eccentric one, seems to have been in her room all day trying to make Okonomiyaki. At 7PM, Wakamiya Yoshino of room 204 brought some cooked natto celery to put in. Afterwards she stayed up until 12AM, and drank 3 whole cans of beer.

That Wakamiya Yoshino was up until 5 at dawn it seems, binging a foreign 2 hour drama DVD. At the time of the crime she says she thinks she heard something fall down, but doesn't remember the exact time.

It's a drama where the later half is made up of action, and it's possible the sound could have been mistaken for surround sound. Ending up predicting one third of the developments that would happen, she wasn't focusing too much.

Moreover, the victim was on a date with her boyfriend since the day before, it seems they spent the night at a hotel in Chiba at Urayasu land. After her boyfriend brought her back by car (The time she returned to the great swan matches with Tsukasa's testimony), she went straight back home, and is confirmed by her neighbor's alibi. It was also confirmed that the boyfriend has absolutely no acquaintance to any of the great swan residents.

When it comes to the motive, everyone was hung up on it being about relationships, and each and every one of them testified the same. However, each and every one of them had a grudge against her. Naturally, none of them were all that sad about her death, it almost seemed like they were more worried about the accident Aki was caught in with the landslide.

No one has an alibi, everyone has a motive, no one is saddened of her death.

From the scene no notable fingerprints came up, in turn leaving no clues. The knife was Shinobu's, the inscription on the knife shows that she bought it when moving into the dorm from a local seller. On the other hand the origin of the gloves, as expected couldn't be found.

Marunouchi begins to feel that whittling down the suspects will prove to be difficult in this investigation. If only the dying message was still there. He begins to feel frustrated with his bad luck with culprits. If the culprit hadn't burned the gloves on the stove and left immediately, it's highly likely the first witness would have found the dying message.

The next time there was an update in the investigation was 2 days later. The results of the blood reaction revealed that the blood on the scissors was not of man, but of animal. The blood could have stuck on the scissors when used during cooking to cut meat.

On the cut parts of the sheet have blood on it, even if it's a minuscule amount there should be a reaction with the blade. Also when the cut section was compared with the sheet, minute differences were found. The scissor blade should have been longer, like shear scissors instead.

Within the scene were two other pairs of scissors found, yet none of them had a luminol reaction. Which means the culprit left the knife, yet took the scissors with him.

Hurridly in that evening, they investigate the other resident's scissors, many were found in unexpected places. There were sewing shear scissors found in a drawer in the lounge, blood was found on the blades, it's possible that human blood can be on those scissors by their nature, but it can't be said until a more detailed investigation is held on the scissors.

However the blood type matches with the victim, and the fingerprints are all wiped off of them, there's no doubt about it. By the way everyone knew of the location of those shear scissors.

"Why did the culprit go out of their way to use the lounge's and not the one in the scene?"
Marunouchi complains and Shibita answers with a carefree tone,
"could it be that they didn't find the scissors in the scene?"

"Ridiculous. The kitchen scissors were right by the sink where you can see them. And there were shears in her room on the table. There's no way they couldn't. Even so they took the ones in the lounge. Can you explain why they took such a risk?"

Immediately Shibita's eyes widen past his lenses, he stutters.
This one's still got a ways to go... Marunouchi sighed that many times today.

That ends chapter 3
One more chapter left, surprisingly this book has 200 pages. We're more than 80 percent done with it. And still no good clues.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 23, 2017

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Yeah, this one has me stumped. I'm currently suspecting Chiemi, but that's more due to narrative convention than any actual evidence.

This feels like a case that'll end up being surprisingly straightforward (especially compared to the last one) but it's mired in extraneous details.

Edit:

juicedup posted:

(I don't know what the narrator is meaning by "Order of the room" The japanese word is seizen 整然 which means orderly, regular, systematic)

I think by this he just means Tsukasa hasn't contaminated/messed up/tampered with the crime scene by opening the window. I'm sure there's a better word for it, but can't think of it off the top of my head.

LonelyMudkip fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 19, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

LonelyMudkip posted:

Yeah, this one has me stumped. I'm currently suspecting Chiemi, but that's more due to narrative convention than any actual evidence.

This feels like a case that'll end up being surprisingly straightforward (especially compared to the last one) but it's mired in extraneous details.

Exactly how I feel. Either the writter doesn't know how to write a mystery, or we're all just too dumb.
I think this book scared everyone away. There's hardly any room to implement logic.
We only have like 20 pages left of the book, who know what's going to get revealed, if anything.

I just hope this just makes the feeling when we solve it that much more satisfying.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I feel like we really need to see the highlighted facts here, just because it'll give us something to focus on. Right now I feel like it's hard to divide the big pile of facts we've been given (everyone's shaky-rear end alibis, the almost-certainly-nonexistent "dying message," the entire marionette bus accident... thing?) into "relevant and important" and "red herring," and there's not much to even start with there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

juicedup posted:

My theory is that the culprit is using the cliche to make us think she wrote a message. Therefore if she didn't write a message, then the murder occurred somewhere else.

Yeah it's definitely looking like the message is not a thing. BTW the trope came from the first Sherlock Holmes story, where the victim wrote "RACHE" on the floor in their blood. spoilers for a 100+ year old story: the characters think the victim was writing Rachel, but in reality he wrote rache, which is German for revenge.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like we really need to see the highlighted facts here, just because it'll give us something to focus on. Right now I feel like it's hard to divide the big pile of facts we've been given (everyone's shaky-rear end alibis, the almost-certainly-nonexistent "dying message," the entire marionette bus accident... thing?) into "relevant and important" and "red herring," and there's not much to even start with there.

I wanted to hold off on the keywords to add some challenge, because the game doesn't give them to you until after you read everything so it kind of felt like cheating.
I didn't want to figure it all out so fast. But I think I'll just stick to doing Keywords first from now on since it's getting harder.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah it's definitely looking like the message is not a thing. BTW the trope came from the first Sherlock Holmes story, where the victim wrote "RACHE" on the floor in their blood. spoilers for a 100+ year old story: the characters think the victim was writing Rachel, but in reality he wrote rache, which is German for revenge.

Interesting. I actually don't read much of detective literature. I'm new to the whole thing, but I find it fascinating. I like clever well built mysteries. There's a lot for me to catch up on.

Here's the last chapter:

Chapter 4
1/24 (fri)
5PM

"Senpai, today you have to let me go home. I can't just keep spiking school, I have to go to school tomorrow."
Tsukasa stands upright and imposing in front of the kotatsu, pointing her finger, she drops her last warning on Chiemi.

Chiemi hunched over the kotatsu, picking at yanagawa loach stew with chopsticks, says "how could you" in a pitiful voice. Ever since the case, Tsukasa learned that Chiemi has been getting scared. No, it's almost just pitiful cowardliness.

Maybe because the scene of the crime is right above that it's effecting her. Making Tsukasa check the footsteps at night, thinking there's blood dripping from the ceiling, seeing Shinobu's face in window, Tsukasa was forced into this kind of 3 day roommate lifestyle.

The curtains are always over the window, there's cloth laid over the ceiling, blood wouldn't even drip down, since the great swan is well built, you wouldn't hear a sound from the second floor unless someone jumped up there.
They were all figments of her imagination.

For what it's worth, Tsukasa decided stayed as long as her interest with the case allowed her to, naturally if she weren't to show up tomorrow her grade would be in danger. To top it all off lots of homework was left over from the weekend.

"don't worry there won't be any ghosts."
She tries to play it cool and turn around, just then out of nowhere her foot is caught by an arm. With such great force she felt like she would fall.

"I'm begging you, stay just for tonight. You can go ahead and leave in the morning, ok"
A very desperate look. She looks like she's about to cry any minute, making it impossible to reject her. Lately it's been hard to tell who the senpai is.

Tsukasa let's out a big sigh and says,
"I guess I don't have a choice. Seriously just this last night"
"Yes yes. I'm visiting a friend tomorrow so it will be fine. Just tonight"

Tsukasa hopes that doesn't mean she will end up going to her place. While anxious of that, Tsukasa sits next to her.
"Thanks. Now, why don't we drink. There's still lots of beer"
Looking like she's very happy, she goes to grab a beer from her fridge.

"I'm fine. It's still evening"
Up until yesterday she has intaked about 2 months worth of alcohol, Tsukasa unlike Chiemi who drinks like a fish, has an actual human limit.

Within those five days, the image of the senpai she respected crumbled and shattered like glass. Surely even the tower of babel which was struck down by god's rage didn't fall so magnificently. However, she mysteriously also began to like her more and more.
"I see. Then let's have some yanagawa."

"...But, who do yo think killed Shinobu?"
Tsukasa throws out the question. Just a while ago the detective came asking something like "are there scissors here?" like some namahage demon, going by that paniced expression, that means the development of the case isn't going well.

Chiemi leaves the spoon in the stew, and stares flabbergasted for a moment, and comes back to normal, and says,
"Right. The culprit is still here. But I don't know who did it. Actually I'd rather not think about it. The way I see it, none of them can kill someone, I want to believe that the real culprit is somewhere else entirely."

The feelings from living together for so long, are terribly known. Tsukasa too, once had to suspect her own friend in a past case. At that time her heart was being split in two, by an angel and devil that wispered words of trust and doubt into her head.

"But you see," Chiemi says dejectedly, "Yoshino says she's going back home tomorrow. Mitsue wants to move too. Everyone's already scared of each other. And me too, even though I try to make it sound better than it is. I might actually be more scared of the culprit than I am of ghosts."

"If you're so scared, why not move back in, Senpai?"
"Are you trying to tell me to take the bullet train from Nagoya all the way here?"
It certainly is useless advice.
"Tsukasa, who do you think is the culprit? You've been in lots of cases haven't you?"

Well I do have experience. But, I think Aki has something to do with it after all. How do you call it, the timing is just too perfect. I can't tell unless we know if she's dead or not... You probobly don't like that answer though, senpai.
Going by the news, the storm got worse, making them afraid of another disaste, putting a suspension on rescue work.

"Aki, huh..."
She sadly picks up the sushi mascot next to an ashtray full off cigarette butts like a pincushion.
"I shouldn't have gotten this, I should have gotten a Zenkoji charm to give her before she left. She was even going all the way to finals."
"Senpai. What if at that time, someone was hiding Aki in their room..."

Right then, there was a knock on the door. Tsukasa answered and opened it instead of Ciemi.
Standing there was Mari. Wearing her yellow kimono as usual, she couldn't help but look like she was in distress about something

"Um hey, there's something botherin me. I thought it'd be best to talk to you. Seeing as how you know that detective. I could talk to him directly, but it looks kinda secret..."

Is she perhaps thinking they're on opposite teams? Ever since the incident, Mari's attitude seemed a bit distant, this may be the reason.
"Me him aren't not so friendly, actually. We're more like rivals or mortal enemies."
"Well, either way's fine. It's not like me to keep quiet." After brushing that aside she says, "I heard the scissors in the lounge are related to the case..."
Tsukasa knew about the detective making a fuss about scissors aswell. She was immaturely pleased about it.

"The thing is, I saw Sayaka take the scissors from the lounge on Friday afternoon. She said something about using them to make new doll clothes. That her old scissors were getting dull. You know that girl is part of Marionette club like Aki and rivals too. When there was a schedule clash for the tournament when her parents invited her to a trip to Europe, she declined and instead worked harder.

Because of that she got all depressed when she lost, then when the new year started, she put her all in order to aim for the next competition. She said that while Aki is on her way to the competition, that she would start preparting..."
"So those scissors..."
"Beats me, but Sayaka hasn't said a word of it yet. But what if she ends up hiding that"

"I've already looked into it"
All of a sudden, a cheeky boar voice can be heard from the hall. He said, swaying his shoulders angrily as he walks toward them.

"Ah it's devil stache!"
"Who are you calling devil stache?"
Marunouchi glares at her while sternly stroking his mustache. However, his expression isn't wholly annoyed. He took it as a compliment it seems.
"I heard of Takitani Sayaka borrowing that from herself a while ago. She says she returned them in the evening"
"How rude of you to evesdrop. Could it be that you're fond of listening in on girl's conversations, Mr. Detective?"

"No, sorry. There's something I needed to inform all of you." The detective immediately gets into a serious expression, and with a heavy tone says, "I am sorry to say, that earlier, Aki-san's death was confirmed. From an employee's testimony, they say that without a doubt, she stayed the night of saturday in a travel lodge"

And that's literally where the book ends. I'll try and upload the main character's conversations tomorrow aswell as add in the keywords.
I kind of like how this one is proving to be a difficult one.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 23, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
The conversation after the Akasha
: I guess that ends the details of the case of this Akasha.
: Looks like you had a part aswell, Marunouchi
: Our investigations are usually on the point
: Thanks to that we've learned a lot about the situation of the case.
]: By the way, the possibility of the crime being committed from someone outside the lodge is not likely.
]: Do you remeber why I came to that conclusion?
: of course
: Going by the state of the body, and the time of death having to be at night, from 12 to 1
And snow only falling, that night only until 11
: It snowed the following morning, but it was a small amount and wouldn't cover footprints.
: Basically, if it was from someone outside, it is peculiur that there were no footprints leading to the front door
]: Exactly
: But, the only footprints were only of people entering into the front door
: Me, Senpai, and Shinobu's
: Moreover, from the dorm resident's testimonies none of them have an alibi
: With this, there's no other choice but to suspect the people who were inside
: Well, that's true.
: Anyway, about that cut off sheet...
: That's it, that's where the problem is
: Why the culprit didn't use the scissors that were in the scene....
: What they used was...
: The lounge's scissors
: In there were sewing sheers, and everyone in the dorm knew about them.
]: Right.
]: And, and the last one to use them was Sayaka
: It was in order to make a new doll for the next tournament...
: It's very curious that she used them right before the incident
: I'm curious about Aki's accident aswell, but...
: Hmmm...
: It was confirmed that she died in the accident when she was in Hokkaido.
: I think Aki's incident is unrelated to the case's incident... but what do you think, Yoshikawa?
: Nothing yet...
: For now, we need to get out bearings one what is and isn't important.
: When we have what is important, the the case will become clear.
: The culprit too, right!
: Of course.
: Now, let's deduce.

I've done half of the bolding for the keywords. I also edited and retranslated some lines, so give it a re-read. link
A couple of things stood out to me, but it's nothing concrete.
The manager cleaning everything on monday.
Chiemi and Shinobu's balcony door frame.

I'm also begning to suspect the trick involves some sort of chemical reaction, that includes polyvynl and alcohol or something.

Also I think Mari made a contradiction about Aki's trip date?

juicedup fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 22, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Here are the questions the game asks
The colors are important

I've tried messing with some keywords
Going away party mystery
This one is formed when the keyword "the only ones were Aki, me, and Yoshino" was deduced

Yoshikawa The ones who participated in the going away party were Aki, Mari and Yoshino. Just those 3.
Tsukasa: Did the others not know about it?
Yoshikawa: Maybe the ones who didn't participate didn't know about Aki's tournament?

Frozen window frame mystery
This one was fromed when the "frame seemed to be frozen over, and didn't want to open." Keyword was deduced

Yoshikawa:From dawn to morning it seems it was the coldest in the year
Tsukasa: It was really cold. Any window would be frozen
Yoshikawa: Would all of the windows be frozen and unable to open?

Why was Chiemi's curtain open mystery
This one was formed when " The room was dim yet bright" and "
The curtains are always over the window"

Yoshikawa: On the morning of corpse discovery, Chiemi's room was a bit bright
Yoshikawa: It could be that it's because the curtain wasn't closed
Tsukasa: Ah you're right
Yoshikawa: Why wasn't Chiemi's curtain closed on the day of the incident?...

The culprit escaped from Shinobu's window epiphany
This one was formed when the frozen window mystery reacted with "Tsukasa opens it up easily with her other hand" keyword

Yoshikawa: The day of the incident was the coldest in the year.
Yoshikawa: Yet, Shinobu's window wasn't frozen and easily opened, did the culprit open it once?
Tsukasa: The problem being, why.
Yoshikawa: Right... the reason for that has to be connected to another epiphany

Here's the list of characters the game gives.

Hayato Aki
Resident of room 101. Was caught in a landslide while riding a microbus during her trip.

Niitsuru Chiemi.
Resident of room 103. Around 6 feet tall. Was recently brokenhearted, brought Tsukasa to drink

Takemaru
Niitsuru Chiemi's ex boyfriend. Had 3 girlfriends at the same time including Chiemi.

Amano Tsukasa.
College student. Niitsuru Chiemi's kouhai.

Honna Mitsue
Resident of room 201. Archeology student. Fair skinned with long black hair and lady like.

Takitani Sayaka
Resident of room 202. Part of a different college's marionette club than Hayato Aki's.

Kamijou Mari
Resident of room 203. Her violet hair makes a mismatch with her kimono.

Wakamiya Yoshino
Resident of room 204. Was watching drama at the night of the incident until 5AM.

Tagokura Shinobu
Resident of room 206. Was stabbed in the stomach and back, died in her room.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 23, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Rather than using the scene's scissors, why did they use sewing sheer scissors?

Made when the keyword "There were sewing shear scissors found in a drawer in the lounge" and "Within the scene were two other pairs of scissors" Keywords react.

Yoshikawa: There are many possible reasons as to why they would use the lounge's scissors.
Tsukasa: I know it's a situation where the culprit wouldn't grab the kitchen scissors but...
Tsukasa: What kind of situation is it?
Yoshikawa: Is there a clue that will show us the reason as to why the culprit would take the lounge's scissors...?

Why did Mari talk about Sayaka mystery
This mystery is fromed when the lounge scissor keyword and sayaka took the lounge scissors keyword

Yoshikawa: When you heard what Mari had to say, what did you think, Tsukasa-kun?
Tsukasa: I thought Sayaka had something to do with the incident
Yoshikawa: Naturally, you would think that when hearing that. Mari must have known that would happen
Yoshikawa: Even so, [b]why did she mention syaka took the scissors?

Did everyone know about the scissors mystery
This mystery is formed when the everyone knew about the lounge scissors keyword is combined with the scissors in the lounge drawer keyword

Yoshikawa: If someone didn't know about the lounge sewing sheer scissors than they wouldn't find them.
Yoshikawa: You wouldn't think to look there, normally.
Tsukasa: But since everyone does then we can't whitlle down the culprit...
Yoshikawa: Is it possible that one of the suspects didn't know about the scissors?

They used the sewing sheer scissors in order to blame it on Sayaka epiphany
Formed when the mystery what was the reason for using sewing sheers combines with Sayaka took the scissors on friday afternoon

Yoshikawa: The meaning of the fact that Sayaka took the lounge scissors changes based on how you look at it.
Marunouchi: Certainly, it does change based on who is the culprit.
Yoshikawa: Does sayaka taking the scissors effect the case?

They chose the lounge scissors becuase everyone knew about them epiphany
Formed when the mystery, they chose sewing sheers over the scene's scissors mystery combines with everyone knew about the lounge scissors keyword

Yoshikawa: Becaue the scissors can be taken by any of the residents, the culprit can't be identified.
Marunouchi: Isn't that the same thing as not being able to identify the culprit because they took Shinobu's scissors?
Yoshikawa: Anyone even a non-resident can take the scene's scissors, but only a resident can find the lounge's.
Yoshikawa: It's possible they used the lounge's in order to not be suspected.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
I've done some more playing around with keywords and I've come to a conclusion.
You'll see when you read the following epiphanys;

Why was the beer spilled mystery
Formed when the keywords room smelled like beer and the beer was spilled combine.

Yoshikawa: You would think that it's possible that you, Tsukasa-kun, spilled it while sleeping
: Hmmm...My sleeping posture shouldn't be so bad as to knock over a can of beer...
Yoshikawa: Leaving that aside, the fact certainly is strange.
Yoshikawa: Who could have spilled that beer...?

The beer was spilled when they left the room epiphanys
Sound effect: https://clyp.it/bav5v3xp
formed when the keyword one of you left while the other was sleeping and why was the beer spilled mystery combine.

Yoshikawa: The Akasha says the beer was spilled from night until Tsukasa-kun woke up.
Yoshikawa: It's entirely possible that when one of you left the room the beer was spilled.
Tsukasa: I slept the whole time in the kotatsu
Yoshikawa: It's just a possibility.

Why was the sheet burned mystery

Yoshikawa: The sheet must have been quite a hindrance to the culprit.
Tsukasa: But, that's no reason to burn it so that it stinks so bad...
Yoshikawa: The culprit certainly was scrupulous when burning it
Yoshikawa: They didn't just take it with them, they didn't even cut it up and dispose of it...
Yoshikawa: Why did they have to go that far...?

Sound effect: https://clyp.it/bav5v3xp
:ms:
Fromed when the why did the culprit burn the sheet mystery combines with plastic smell keyword
: The strong odor could varnish over another....
Tsukasa: If they went that far, what smell were they trying to cover?
Yoshikawa: That's what we need to think about
Yoshikawa: The culprit could have had a distinct smell, and used the stinging odor to block it out.

Now all the questions can be answered.
I can't believe they pulled "the friend did it" trope on us again!
I thought to myself that it couldn't be her because it's too obvious!
And it doesn't help that I kept thinking of ridiculous tricks over and over.
I'm a horrible detective.
Antivehicular and lonely mudkip guessed right. But they didn't figure out her trick, so let's call it a tie.

Should I even transcribe the verification? Or should I just sumurise what happens? I still don't know if the answers would be correct actually.
But If I do get it wrong I'll transcribe the whole thing, as my punishment

juicedup fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 24, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Yoshikawa:: This case's victim was the resident of room 206, Shinobu

music https://clyp.it/v1gia0gs
Yoshikawa:: She died in her room's dining kitchen fallen face down
Yoshikawa:: The weapon, a carving knife. It was left lodged in her.

Yoshikawa:: The odd part of this case is that one part of the kitchen's sheet was cut off

Yoshikawa:: It stopped snowing at 12AM. The murder had to have occurred from 12 to 1.
Yoshikawa:: There are 3 sets of footsteps leading to the enterance.
Yoshikawa:: There were no other footprints around the great swan.

Yoshikawa:: As a forestatment, the culprit is one of the 7 great swan residents without a doubt.
Tsukasa: Am I one of the suspects too?
Yoshikawa:: Just like an apple falls, it goes without saying
Yoshikawa:Those innocent eyes may very well be a mask. Tsukasa
Yoshikawa:: Now, about who did it...
Yoshikawa:: Going by how the culprit cut off the sheet, that creates many mysteries
Yoshikawa:: The first one being, why did the culprit use the lounge scissors?
Yoshikawa:: The other one being...
Yoshikawa:8]: Why the exposed part of floor where the sheet was cut at, had no imperfections?

Then after Yoshikawa talks about how the sheet had to be taken off after the blood dried, because of the straight line of blood, the game says that I didn't answer why they took the lounge scissors.
Oh well.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 24, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I hate to say it but I'm not sure where they're going with this.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
My quick guess is that Hayato Aki broke in, committed the murder on girlfriend #2, tried to pin it on girlfriend #3, and got some karmic punishment via freezing to death. The burning plastic smell was to cover the scent of blood I suspect.

which isn't that bad really, you basically fall asleep and don't wake up. But i hate the cold and even 60* hurts my bones, so hell is freezing for me.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
One detail is that the line of blood is sharp where the sheet was cut, and that there is no blood on the floor below it. This seems to mean that the blood was dry when the sheet was cut. This could mean that the murder happened, and then later on someone came in, saw the message, and cut it off. This could mean a second person did it to protect the real killer.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
This has been a really interesting read so far, thank you for putting the effort in!

As to the mystery at hand and the questions involved: Problem 3 and 4 involve the question of why the sheet was cut, and what factor in particular was the origin of the culprti's unusual action - so until we properly describe that I think it wont go further?.

I have a theory: the game talks about the smell of the plastic caused by the stench, and the beer spilling being important facts

I'm wondering if Chiemi worried about some sort of stench and blocked it out via the plastic smell? It's a bit of a reach, but perhaps she was trying to both hide a fake dying message while cutting a section? We have keywords about smoking and alcohol smell, so maybe those smells are relevant?

Given we have found that the blood was evenly blocked by the sheet, implies that, like Delvio mentions above, the evidence hiding happened sometime after the killing.

Another point of confusion:
Near the end of the night before, theres a part where Mari and Tsukasa carry a collapsed Chiemi to bed, and then find that despite being seemingly knocked out drunk, she appears at the balcony with a beer in her hand, and then is telling Tsukasa to stay with her. The timeline is dodgy, but my instinct is that Chiemi somehow murdered Shinobu while pretending to be drunk (specifically at the point mentioned), and then came back later to fix something. I think it has to do with the window and the snow, but on returning to the scene she might have noticed something more necessitating the burning. Given that snow started again at 6, it would be reasonable to think that Shinobu's window was open until that time but then was closed so no snow got in. There's a keyword about wind too, which would add to this..

Marionettes are mentioned, so maybe that was a fake 'dead drunk' Chiemi doll?

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 25, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
I forgot to make an epiphany with one of the mysteries
I actually looked it up on a walkthrough because I got tired of this case
Personally I blame the epiphany system. Even though you have the answer irl, you still have to obtsuely tell the game with a keyword to support that fact.

The culprit revisited the scene epiphany
fomred when did the culprit go back to the scene mystery combines wiht the gloves and sheet were burned in two sets

Yoshikawa: It's possible that the two sets of gloves that were burned in two separate circumstances.
Tsukasa: What do you mean two different times? One at the time of the crime and one that wasn't?
Yoshikawa: Right... this fact shows the culprit came back
Yoshikawa: The culprit in order to cut off the dying message returned to the scene.

Then we return to the verification.
They were talking about why it took a long time for the culprit to cut off the sheet from the time of the crime
music: https://clyp.it/qpsglbzh
Marunouchi:: ...how well built is your house?
Marunouchi:: Normally windows can be opened with one hand.
Yoshikawa: Do you remember this epiphany

Yoshikawa: This is the part of the Akasha that lead to this.

Big mistake.
Tsukasa let's out a sigh as she stands, she grabs a cloth from the sink counter and began cloth mopping* up the carpet. The sink's water was so cold it stung, it was a miserable feeling, like being made to do public service. She tried to open the sliding window for ventalation, but the frame seemed to be frozen over, and didn't want to open.

When using both hands it somehow opened, and refreshing cool air enters the room. The outside sky is cloudy. The sprinkling snow is fluttering, and the temperature is quite low. Of course the flowing wind takes warmth away with it, but it's a much better situation than an alcohol filled room.

Tsukasa: Right right, the beer spilled and the room smelled like beer so I aired it out.
Tsukasa: Then I tried to open the window and... Ah!
Yoshikawa: Right, when you tried to open Chiemi's sliding window, it was frozen and wouldn't open.
Yoshikawa: At night when she came back home, Chiemi opened it once, but afterwards, the sliding window froze.
Yoshikawa: However, that wasn't the case with Shinobu's window.

"More importantly we should get some air in here. Smelling this is making my head spin"
It seems the shock of seeing a corpse dulled the sense of smell. When Chiemi pointed the smell out, Tsukasa's nose immediately came back to life. She puts her arm up to her nose as she goes to the back of the room.
Yoshikawa: In the room right above, when the window was opened for air, it easily opened.
Marunouchi:: H-hmm... The window being easily opened certainly is strange.
Yoshikawa: When you think about how cold it was at dawn, and how it snowed again at six...
Yoshikawa: Then the scene's window wasn't opened at midnight, but sometime before dawn.
Tsukasa: So the culprit opened it again?
Yoshikawa: Right, before daybreak, before you guys found the corpse, the culprit opened it.
Marunouchi: For what reason did they open the window.
Marunouchi:: Moreover, the culprit taking that much time is odd.
Tsukasa: Didn't they open the window to escape from?
Tsukasa: There's a concrete wall right by the great swan, couldn't they use it to move
Marunouchi:: If so, then maybe it's possible the culprit used the window to break in.
Marunouchi:: Or maybe, after the crime, and leaving, they used it to go back in.
Tsukasa: Hmmm, maybe, or a reason similar to mine?
Tsukasa: Maybe they couldn't stand the smell and aired it out.
Tsukasa: They probably didn't use the ventfan because it would make too much noise
Marunouchi:: Hmmm... there's lots of reasons to think why they would...
Marunouchi:: Yoshikawa-kun, what do you think?
Yoshikawa Of-course the culprit opened the window because...
question answer: to air it out
Yoshikawa: To air it out.
Yoshikawa: The culprit opened the window to let the odor of the gloves and sheet burning out
Yoshikawa: There was snow on the balcony, but there were no footprints whatsoever.
Yoshikawa: It's hard to think that they would enter from the balcony, or escape from the balcony.
Tsukasa: I though so. Not even the culprit would stand that smell
Yoshikawa: The culprit cut and burned the sheet after the blood hardened.
Yoshikawa: It may be that's when they opened the window
Marunouchi:: So, it was around dawn that the culprit burned the gloves and sheet?
Marunouchi:: But why that much time?
Marunouchi:: Someone could fine the body within that time...
Tsukasa: I got it!
Tsukasa: The culprit forgot something, or dropped something and they noticed in the morning.
Tsukasa: Then they came back to take care of it
Tsukasa: That's when they notice the dying message on the sheet.
Yoshikawa: In order to answer that, we need to think of the next mystery.
Yoshikawa: The next mystery being...
Yoshikawa: Why did they purposefully use the lounge scissors?
Yoshikawa: This epiphany shows the answer.

Yoshikawa: If they discovered the dying message after infiltrating...
Yoshikawa: Then they shouldn't have to go to the trouble of going all the way to the lounge and take a risk
Yoshikawa: It would be normal to find scissors in the room and use those.
Yoshikawa: Seeing as how the scissors were easy to spot in two places
Yoshikawa: One by the sink and one on the table
Yoshikawa: Yet, they use none, and instead use the lounge'scene
Tsukasa: Ah! Maybe they culprit had bad eyesight.
Tsukasa: Normally you would, but the culprit couldn't notice them.
Marunouchi:: There was no info on suspects with bad eyesight
] Tsukasa: That's true...
Tsukasa: What does it mean, Yoshikawa-san?
Yoshikawa: You're thinking backwards
Yoshikawa: The reason for borrowing the sewing sheer scissors...
Yoshikawa: Was because they wanted to avoid the risk of not finding one in the scene of the scene of the crime.
Yoshikawa: If they couldn't find one in the scene....
Yoshikawa: They would have to make another trip.
Yoshikawa: Either in the hallway or the lounge, there's no guarantee you wouldn't get spotted.
Yoshikawa: In order to decrease the chances of that...
Yoshikawa: Knowing there were scissors to use with certainty, and ones that are undeniably not their own, thye use the lounge's
Yoshikawa: This line of thinking leads us to think that...
Yoshikawa: With those circumstances, it wasn't after they entered the room, it was before.
Yoshikawa: Basically, they brought the scissors in order to cut off the dying message.
Yoshikawa: Then they infiltrate room 206, cut off the sheet and burned it.
Yoshikawa: They predicted that a message would get left behind.
Yoshikawa: And not on the floor, but on top of the sheet....
Yoshikawa: It's not that they had the gloves prepared just in case, like Marunouchi thought.
Yoshikawa: Again, they brought a spare pair of gloves from their room
Marunouchi:: m-mmm...They burned two sets because of that?
Yoshikawa: Yeah, they likely burned the first gloves when the murder happened.
Yoshikawa: The culprit re-enters the room and burns the sheet with the gloves.
Yoshikawa: At that time the blood was already congealed, blood wouldn't flow when taking the sheet off
Yoshikawa: Since the door was frozen it would have to be before daybreak.
Marunouchi:: I see...
Yoshikawa: Here's the important part
Yoshikawa: The culprit didn't infiltrate, notice the dying message and cut it off.
Yoshikawa: They infiltrated to get rid of the dying message.
Yoshikawa: They knew about the dying message before they re-entered the scene.
Yoshikawa: So then, when di the culprit know about the dying message being left?
Verifying: When did they know about the message
Tsukasa: When did they know about it?...
Tsukasa: If it's in such a conspicuous place wouldn't they notice right away?
Yoshikawa: If they noticed it during the murder, then they would have gotten rid of it right then.
Yoshikawa: Even if it was after they burned the gloves, they had scissors and gloves in the scene.
Marunouchi:: Which means, they didn't notice it during the murder.
Marunouchi:: Didn't they check up on the scene afterwards and notice it then?
Tsukasa: I got it!
Tsukasa: Shinobu didn't write a name, she left a code
Tsukasa: Then the culprit didn't understand it, but later it clicked
Marunouchi:: hmm... maybe...
Marunouchi:: Maybe they saw it, but left it alone
Marunouchi:: I don't know why though
Yoshikawa: At the time of murder the culprit...
Question: About the dying message and the culprit.
1. The culprit didn't notice it
2. The culprit didn't understand it
3. The culprit left it alone
I picked 3
Yoshikawa: At the time of murder, they of course noticed it
Yoshikawa: Then, they left it behind
Tsukasa: Isn't there a possibility they didn't understand it?
Yoshikawa: Not possible
Yoshikawa: If you were the culprit, would you let them just leave behind anything in that kind of situation?
Yoshikawa: Just because they don't understand it?
Tsukasa: I guess you would get rid of it just in case
Marunouchi:: Or they knew about it and left it
Marunouchi:: Then after a while they come back and get rid of it...
Marunouchi:: But I just don't get why they wold leave it.
Yoshikawa: The culprit knew about the dying message being left
Yoshikawa: Yet they don't erase it, and leave lots of time until they do
Yoshikawa: Why? after the time of murder, something caused the situation to change
Marunouchi:: What is that "something" you're talking about?
Yoshikawa: What caused them to cut off the dying message was...
] Tsukasa: What caused them?
Yoshikawa: ...
Music: https://clyp.it/ulppwdjk
Yoshikawa: (Odd... I still haven't deduced that part)
Yoshikawa: ...I need to think more
Tsukasa: Ehh~! Don't pull an after these messages type of thing!
Marunouchi:: Well, it is important. It needs to be thought thoroughly.
Marunouchi:: Something changed from the time of the crime, night to daybreak...hmmm
Yoshikawa: (What happened within that time?...)
Yoshikawa: (I should search for more epiphanies within the Akasha...)

Sound effect: https://clyp.it/nene3bdb
Then the game says I failed
What do you guys think happened?
I actually don't even know, myself. I didn't look that far in the walk through.
What made the culprit notice the message from somewhere else?
My theory is that they were hiding inside the room but I can't form any epiphanies from the keywords.
Let me know what you think I should combine with what.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
The only two things I can think about is that the weather changing, and Aki's accident.

The latter happened at 6:30 am which is very close to dawn. Is it possible that the culprit found out about that early and that meant that the dying message could only refer to them (because Aki was assuredly removed from the suspect pool?). If the suspect only found out about that Aki was away from the death...
"Aki-san's death was confirmed" + " after the time of murder, something caused the situation to change"? (or other aki in landslide related keywords)

Maybe something with floor 1, or former boyfriends?

e: There is also Yoshino watching dramas until 5 am...
Maybe try "she thinks she heard something fall down"?

Also try "Strong odor was used to mask another smell" with "smell of alcohol teeming in the room" or "Chiemi smokes a cigarette"( or "an ashtray full off cigarette butts like a pincushion.", maybe combine that and smoking to get a smoker thing?)
can you combine "Why was Chiemi's curtains open' with 'beer was spilled while leaving'?
+ "but it seems no one was in there" + "can see light coming from the room" because something is going on with Aki likely.

The timeline is confusing too. This episode starts at 1:30 on Saturday, and then we don't see time pass until after Chiemi falls asleep sometime(?), with Tsukasa forced to join her- can we actually figure out what time Chiemi fell asleep?

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 25, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

The only two things I can think about is that the weather changing, and Aki's accident.

The latter happened at 6:30 am which is very close to dawn. Is it possible that the culprit found out about that early and that meant that the dying message could only refer to them (because Aki was assuredly removed from the suspect pool?). If the suspect only found out about that Aki was away from the death...
"Aki-san's death was confirmed" + " after the time of murder, something caused the situation to change"? (or other aki in landslide related keywords)

The timeline is confusing too. This episode starts at 1:30 on Saturday, and then we don't see time pass until after Chiemi falls asleep sometime(?), with Tsukasa forced to join her- can we actually figure out what time Chiemi fell asleep?

Wow, I can't believe how close you were. You're on the right track with Aki's accident. I had to look it up in a walkthrough otherwise I never would have thought to use Aki's accident as
With this game, You would probobly like this game since you can play around with theories that float in your head, and you had lots of them. But unfortunately I've tried most of those but they don't bring anything up, which is disappointing, the truth of this case is much less interesting than my theories.
you can only combine keywords which are bolded in the LP together to form mysteries.
Those mysteries can be combined with keywords to form an epiphany.
Mysteries are formed when contradicting keywords are combined. Mysteries are more like questions. There are many questions you can find within the any book, most of them are useless though.

For example:

This one is formed when the keywords perfectly clean floor board combines with only a little bit of blood is spread on top of the sheet.
Mysteries or questions don't do anything by themselves. But they can turn into ideas
Epiphanies are formed when mysteries combine with a keywords that can turn a mystery into a logical idea, I think.
The game doesn't really explain it's system very well. Oh and you can't combine epiphanies with other keywords. You know if it's an epiphany when there's a color on its title.

Epiphanies are for answering the questions the game gives you.
I don't think this one is a very good example in my mind, but this epiphany is the epiphany we need to answer question 3, "What made the culprit the sheet off?"
The following epiphany or idea is made when we combine the mystery I showed before, "what caused the culprit to cut the sheet" with the keyword The 7:00 news was on
And we get this:

Some actually give you multiple versions like this one

: By the time the landslide news came on, the blood should have been congealed.
: The culprit hears the news, then goes to cut the sheet off.
: Doesn't Aki's name being written down, mean she's the culprit?
: We need to think about why Aki's name would be written down.

I can't believe I never thought of it.

That's actually a translation error of mine, I missed a 10 in the time.
It's actually 11:30 that the story starts, thanks for pointing it out.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 25, 2017

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to guess at this point that the murder message was to frame Aki, and once the news came on, they had to erase it.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
That explains the epiphany/mystery thing more, I see. Thanks!

juicedup posted:

That's actually a translation error of mine, I missed a 10 in the time.
It's actually 11:30 that the story starts, thanks for pointing it out.

That explains a lot of things, like the 3 footprints and why its so conclusive even though other girls came back that evening.

I'm confused here because there's a set of evidence that seem to be pulling for Chiemi and another set that looks to be pointing towards Mari.

Both have good reasons to write Aki - Shinobu was stabbed in the stomach first and very likely saw her killer, so there's no way she would write Aki unless Aki was really there. And the way she fell on her front and was stabbed in the back, I find a dying message very unlikely.

Chiemi had thought that Aki was there while entering, and given her drunkneness may have continued to think so. Its hard to actually pinpoint the status of what Chiemi does or doesnt know - theres a bunch of dialogue where the other girls talk about Aki's party but I'm not sure if Chiemi is close or aware enough to hear it. So its plausable enough to think she could blame it on Aki, another jilted lover, and only in the morning find out. (i'm not sure if there's a set of keywords that leads to 'Chiemi thought aki was there')

Mari is a bit lesser, but she acts real weird the whole time, and throws shade on Aki, then Sayaka later. She seems to be in a fair spat with Shinobu too. She might have been setting up a 'Aki wasnt on the bus but stayed to kill Shinobu', only to find the news later (esp if she was in cahoots with Yoshino)? Mari might also know that Yoshino was watching an action drama that would mask the murder sounds, having spent some of the evening with her.

Other weird things still lingering:
Whats the deal with the curtains? Is there something involving leaving the room or 'not being able to see the sun' that can be combined in? Or about the wind?
Secondly, is there a question you can get about the gloves being brought in when there were already gloves there? Or stuff about the knife being Shinobu's? Why would the culprit bring gloves but then grab the victim's knife? How would the culprit get the knife in the first place? (Shinobu was in the shower?)

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Other weird things still lingering:
Whats the deal with the curtains? Is there something involving leaving the room or 'not being able to see the sun' that can be combined in? Or about the wind?
Secondly, is there a question you can get about the gloves being brought in when there were already gloves there? Or stuff about the knife being Shinobu's? Why would the culprit bring gloves but then grab the victim's knife? How would the culprit get the knife in the first place? (Shinobu was in the shower?)

Not all mysteries are answered in the game. Some are there to throw you off. The curtains are probably because Chiemi was drunk.

Anyways more verification:

We make this epiphay, and continue the verification were we left off.
The "Mitsue didn't know about Aki's absence epiphany"
This one is formed with the "did the people who didn't attend the going away party" and Mitsue being in a trip and Gunma I think?

Yoshikawa:: Sayaka probably knew about it, but Mitsue likely didn't.
Tsukasa: But, wouldn't she know if she saw the lounge in rambles?
Yoshikawa:: She would have known that there was a drinking party, not a going away party.
Yoshikawa:: Mitsue likely didn't know about Aki going to Hokkaido aswell

Verifying: What changed the situation
Yoshikawa:: What caused the situation to change?
Yoshikawa:: Remember this epiphany

Tsukasa: The reason the culprit took off the message has something to do with Aki's accident
Yoshikawa:: Yes, the only that occurred around that time was that the news was broadcasting.
Yoshikawa:: Therefore the culprit had no choice but to get rid of it
Yoshikawa:: Meaning what was left on the sheet was...
Question asking who's name was written down
Yoshikawa:: What was left on the sheet wasn't the culprit's name, but Aki's
Tsukasa: Eh?! But she was in Hokkaido, she can't be it
Tsukasa: So Shinobu, purposefully wrote someone else down?
Marunouchi: Besides, if it's not the culprit's name, then why would they erase it?
Yoshikawa:: Now, here's where we clear up who left the message.
Tsukasa: Isn't that obviously the victim? It is a dying message.
Marunouchi: But, if the victim wrote the wrong one, why would they erase it?
Marunouchi: Could the culprit have wrote it down?
Tsukasa: Ah! Or maybe someone entirely different wrote it down?
Tsukasa: And that messed up the culprit's plan!
Yoshikawa:: The one who left it...
Question: who left it
Yoshikawa:: The culprit
Yoshikawa:: If the victim did leave it then the culprit would have gotten rid of it right then.
Yoshikawa:: And if a 3rd party did leave it...
Yoshikawa:: The culprit wouldn't have a way of knowing.
Yoshikawa:: And in case they did find it
Yoshikawa:: They wouldn't go all the way to the lounge and get the scissors.
Tsukasa: Ah, I see... So that's it
Tsukasa: They would have searched for scissors and gotten rid of it...
Yoshikawa:: Not all dying message cases have the victim leave them
Yoshikawa:: There are times that the perp tries to pin it on someone else
Marunouchi: So that means, the culprit tried to frame Aki?
Yoshikawa:: Yes it does.
Yoshikawa:: The culprit left Aki's name as a dying message in order to frame here
Yoshikawa:: However, when they heard the morning news they returned to the scene
Yoshikawa:: In order to get rid of the message, they take the lounge scissors...
Yoshikawa:: That's why, even though there were scissors in the scene, they used the lounge's scissors
Yoshikawa:: Then they cut the message they wrote themselves that say Aki on it.
Yoshikawa:: Since the blood was congealed, the floorboard on the bottom didn't get covered
Yoshikawa:: Then, they take the gloves they used and the sheet, burn it on the stove, and opened a window for ventilation
Yoshikawa:: That's why Tsukasa was able to open the window so easily
Yoshikawa:: And her being able to smell it means the culprit didn't ventilate enough
Yoshikawa:: Once they finished burning it they closed the window and left
Yoshikawa:: ...This is the hidden answer to this unsolvable mystery
Marunouchi: Hm..hm... I see...
Tsukasa: W-Which means...
Tsukasa: When I was watching the news, the culprit was burning the sheet?
Yoshikawa:: Highly likely
Yoshikawa:: If you had woken Chiemi up sooner... Or if anyone else saw the news..
Yoshikawa:: The culprit wouldn't have the time to burn it.
Yoshikawa:: It's possible you could have walked in on someone burning it
Yoshikawa:: That means the culprit was lucky
Yoshikawa:: Just a tiny bit of luck after making a deadly mistake
Tsukasa: Deadly mistake?
Yoshikawa:: Pinning it on Aki who wasn't there.
Yoshikawa:: If the police see Aki's name written down, what would they think?
Yoshikawa:: After confirming Aki's alibi is solid, they would determine the message as a forgery
Yoshikawa:: Or you could say...
Yoshikawa:: The culprit didn't want the forgery to be known, so they got rid of it.
Tsukasa: But, Aki can't be the culprit
Tsukasa: So why not play along with it?
Tsukasa: The fact that it's forged wouldn't change everyone being a suspect...
Yoshikawa:: It's not that simple.
Yoshikawa:: Putting the blame on someone who is all the way in Hokkaido and they couldn't have possibly done it, is...
Yoshikawa:: A sign that shows that the culprit didn't know that Aki was in Hokkaido.
Yoshikawa:: That's why the culprit had no choice but to conceal it
Yoshikawa:: It's likely the culprit saw the light in room 101 and mistook Aki for being there.
Marunouchi: Meaning, the culprit was someone who didn't know of Aki's absence?
Marunouchi: Allright time to go talk to everyone
Tsukasa: But everyone knew Aki was gone when the news about her accident came on
Tsukasa: No one would reveal that they didn't know...
Tsukasa: They would just pretend they didn't
Yoshikawa:: Just as you say.
Yoshikawa:: And yet...
Yoshikawa:: Why do you think the culprit took the risk and cut the sheet?
Next time(?)Verification: The reason the culprit had no choice but to cut the sheet off?
Should I even transcribe the rest?

It all seems so obvious now. I blame the writer for never stating weather or not everyone knew about Aki's trip. I thought no one joined the going away party because they didn't care, not because they didn't know.
Oh well It's all just excuses I guess.
I feel so dejected that I had to use a walk through aswell. But at least we're all on the same boat.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 27, 2017

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Kind of a stinker of a mystery. At least the other chapters bothered to actually personify the criminals. Or at least give them some screen time!

I suppose this is closer to a real crime where the result isn't glamorous, the murderer isn't mysterious or bearing dark secrets, and instead of some epiphany leading to the result, its just sorting through details to find the culprit. Doesn't make for a the best read though.

LonelyMudkip posted:

Totally nailed it in the end~

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
So, mystery solved basically.
Yoshikawa explains why it can only Mitsue, and how she mistook Aki being there because of the number of glasses in the lounge and her room light, then Tsukasa and Marunouchi thank him and leave
I didn't feel like translating most of it because not much happens, but there was one interesting part where Yoshikawa says to Tsukasa that it would be too much to ask her to find the murderer herself of someone she just met. Then Yoshikawa is all like, crimes must not be forgiven or sympathized. Then Tsukasa says "...right..." while looking down, which made me think that she will be the culprit one of these days and we won't expect it.
Then we have a nice conversation with the best character in the game!
Yoshikawa: What is the meaning of this?
Yama: Of what?
Yoshikawa: Another case that involves Amano Tsukasa
Yoshikawa: Are you doing it on purpose?
Yama:...This one kinda
Yama: It surprised me too.
Yama: That girl just keeps getting caught in cases
Yama: And it's only after you've come here
Yama: I don't really get it but there must be some kind of connection or something
Yoshikawa: I've never seen or heard of her before.
Yama: Maybe, saving her, could be for your own sake...
Yoshikawa: ...What does that mean?
Yama: Beats me
Yama: That's just what came to mind
Yama: The Akasha is said to be an article of occurrences in your people's world
Yama: But there's another way of thinking about it
Yama: The occurrences in your people's world is fated by the articles in Akasha...
Yama: Neither of which are preceding
Yama: The Akasha may actually be intertwining you and Tsuakasa
Yama: ...Now, I should start looking for the next article
Yama: Seeing as how your mystery solving is getting better, I'll get you a harder one.

And then we get the trailer for the next case
In a certain apartment room.
The severed body of a man was found in the shower with his head, wrists, and feet cut off.
A kinfe stab to the left of the chest.
Saw cuts to his head, wrists and feet.
For whatever reason, the culprit left the weapon, taking with them only the severed limbs...
Why did the culprit kill in such a way...?
To hide the identity of the corpse?
Or perhaps, a different reason?
https://my.mixtape.moe/xksuef.webm
What was the culprit's goal?

The Five Severed Limbs
By Ouyama Seiichirou
(I mistranslated it when I only the title when I started the LP, Japanese is hard that way)

The next one has a very interesting set up from the first few pages I read of it, I really liked the main character they introduce in the the next one
I'm thinking for the next case after I translate all the Akasha pages, I will just let the thread die if no one can figure out.
No sense in continuing this game if I'm not smart enough and have to resort to a walkthrough. It's a test to see if the last mystery was not solvable due to bad writing or just my own defective reasoning.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Next mystery sounds interesting, hopefully it has a good resolution to it.

juicedup posted:

So, mystery solved basically.
Yoshikawa explains why it can only Mitsue, and how she mistook Aki being there because of the number of glasses in the lounge and her room light, then Tsukasa and Marunouchi thank him and leave

The light being on in Aki's room being a source of confusion seems like the kind of thing that would be nice to be able to point out, to give more ways to indicate about the killer's mistake. But I guess thats just a problem of these kind of deduction games where you have to follow their particular path to the solution....

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Woah I'm away for a week and you finish the case. I agree that this one was pretty underwhelming. To be honest I think the main obstacle I had with figuring this one out is that it was just really really dull. The next one sounds interesting though! I'll be looking forward to it and definitely not just because I love dismemberment

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Yama:: I found one
Yama:: This one's a toughie...
Yama:: I read it over and over, but I just can't get it.
Yama:: I tell ya, Akasha is a real mystery
[ Yoshikawa:]: Let me see it.
Yama:: First of all, the way he got killed is just too gruesome
Yama:: Why would they do such a thing...
Yama:: Humans really are cruel creatures.
Yama: It makes me sad
Yoshikawa: And then?
Yoshikawa: Who are the assistants this time?
Yama: The familiar faces

Yoshikawa: As I thought.
Yoshikawa: And the other is the girl isn't it?
Yama: Good guess

Yama: Now you can really call this fate
Yama: Well then, good luck with number 4, "The Five Severed Limbs."
Marunouchi:...once again I've brought shame with me
Marunouchi: And to think my wishes for being transfered from jurisdiction to central have finally been granted...
Marunouchi: I thought I wouldn't depend on Yoshikawa-kun, and solve this case myself...
Marunouchi: I've thrown in the towel on this one
Marunouchi: This is a real puzzling case
Tsukasa: I thought that I shouldn't rely on Yoshikawa-san anymore aswell,
Tsukasa: I gave it a lot of thought but...
Let's just give it a read

Chapter 1
The unreliable detective

Hagimoto Ippei is a man of misfortune.
If he were to go out without an umbrella, a downpour would be sure to happen. Toast will always land butter side down.

Ippei works at a private detective agency, but he is know as a misfortunate man even there. If he were to tail someone he would fall in a manhole, and lose the target. If he were to listen in on someone, he would get bit by the house dog, kick it by reaction, then have to pay indemnities. Because of that, the chief declared that if he makes another mistake then he'll get the axe.

Ippei always lamented that he was born under an unlucky star, but he's about to meet his worst misfortune of all. That being getting caught in a murder case of all things. But it's not all bad, seeing as how he was able to get acquainted with the weird but charming Amano Tsukasa.

"S-Sorry for being late!"
It's January, 26th at 9:30 in the morning.
Ippei out of breath, jumps into Iwashita detective agency staff room. Where he thought he would hear the chief, Iwashita Kensuke's angry yelling, but what welcomed him was silence.

Looking around he sees that all other 10 staff desks are empty. The only one left is the secretary, Nagayama Junko.
"Late again?"
Nagayama stops tapping at her keyboard and looks at Ippei with an astounded look from the edge of her glasses.

"Sorry. I overslept because I got really into a videogame last night... Is everyone else out at work?"
"Yes. Everyone's already outside"
"U-Uhm, and the chief?"
"With a client. They've got a request."

Speak of the devil and whatnot, that's when the staff room door opens and Iwashita Kensuke showed his bulldog face. When he looks around the deserted staff room, and sees only Nagayama and Ippei, he starts to show a look of disappointment, then calls Ippei over to him an quite a reluctant way. Ippei stands with a tremble.

In an unenthusiastic tone he says,
"It's a client. Hagimoto, you're in charge of it. I'm afraid to say you're the only one available"
"U-Understood!"
I got a job. Ippei begins to get pumped up. Then Iwashita says to Ippei's face with a threatening voice,
"Listen, don't mess this one up. If you mess up, you're getting the boot"
"I-I understand"

Following Iwashita to the reception room, a smart looking woman in her early 30s is sitting on the sofa. Though plain, the navy blue suit she's wearing looks expensive.

"I have brought someone well fit for the job"
Iwashita brings out his courteous customer communicating voice,
"He's young, but capable. He doesn't look like a detective, that's what makes him suitable for a private eye"
"My name is Hagimoto Ippei. I will be the one taking your request"
Ippei tries his best to look capable.

"My name is Endou Ritsuko. Nice to meet you"
The woman said in a quiet and calm tone, as she takes out her business card. On there it says Central Hospital College of Internal Medicine.

"Endou-san's request is to keep an eye on her divorced husband."
Iwashita explained to Ippei.
"That's correct. I want you to see that the husband I left does not get close to my daughter."
"Not get close to your daughter, you say?"
Ippei tries to give solemn back channeling.

"Yes. We divorced one year ago. It was because of his drinking, frivolity, and domestic abuse that led to me having custody of our daughter, he gets to see her at the end of every month. Is what we decided but he broke the promise, almost everyday he has talked to my daughter when she's on her way to school, even asking her to go live with him.

I heard this from my daughter one week ago, I called my husband and threatened him not to approach her again, if not I'll stop letting him see her every month. He reluctantly agreed, and stopped approaching her, but I'm worried he will do it again...

So then, I would like you to keep an eye on his actions. I return home from work at night, so I will be together with her then, but during the day she will be alone."
"How old is your daughter?"
"8 Years. She is in third grade."

"What does your divorced husband do?"
"He's currently unemployed. 2 months ago he was a math teacher for an prep school, until he hit a student and got fired..."

"What time would you like to have an eye on him?"
"I would like for it from when I leave for work at 8 in the morning, to when I get back home 8 at night. Other than school she will be alone by herself, and he might try to get to her then. So please keep an eye on her to make sure he doesn't."

"Please leave it to us. You won't have to worry anymore"
Iwashita said, and looked to Ippei with a glance.
"Just as my manager said. I will keep a close eye on your departed husband, you won't have to worry for your daughter"
Ippei said with as much confidence he can bring to put his chin up.

"Please take care of it. And if you could call me to report what happened that day after the lookout at 8PM."
"Understood. How long would you like the look out to go on for?
"For now I would like one month."
This one is a vip customer, is the kind of look Iwashita had on his face.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 29, 2017

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I guess the husband is going to end up dead?

Seems like the wife is initially suspect, but we'll see

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

The divorced husband of Endou Ritsuko is called Haraguchi Shinichi, and lives in the north part of town in a residence sector. Takanashi Heights is the name of the Apartment he lives in. After Ritsuko left from Iwashita Private Eye company, she immediately had Ippei drive to the residential area.

Takanashi Heights is a 5 story apartment that faces a two lane street. It looks like it was built a long time ago, and a slight feeling of uncleanliness encompasses the entire building. There is no secured lock entrance system of course.

He goes through the entrance, and an open hallway stretches out, on the left side a chest high wall, to the right are five doors lined up. He looks through the gap of room 103 where Haraguchi lives, and notices that it's not locked. It seems Haraguchi is inside.

Now, where to keep an eye on him from? He looks around, he sees that there is a parking lot on the other side of the chest high wall, and a two lane road in front of that. He sees that there is a cafe called Charade on the other side of the road. The window seat of that cafe should be a good look out point to see the 103 room door.

Ippei crosses the street, enters Charade and sat down at the window seat. He orders a coffee, and begins keeping an eye on the door of room 103. He left the money for the coffee on the table, in order to be able to pay for it in case he needs to leave the store whenever he can.

There won't be any mistakes this time, Ippei said to cheer himself up. Being a private eye was his dream ever since he was a child, but due to the misfortune of looking undependable he has kept being turned down for work by private eye agencies, but he's finally gotten into Iwashita private eye company. He's kept making mistakes ever since, but this time a he has to do it right, in order to get on the boss's good side.

After 11:40, the door of 103 opens, and a man wearing a beige overcoat appears. An average sized man in his early 30s, with a pale sharp face.
Endou Ritsuko lent him a photo, so he immediately knew it was Haraguchi Shinichi

However, Haraguchi looked like he was smiling happily in the photo, but the Haraguchi that went through that door was like a dissolute shadow. He could imagine what life he led after the divorce.

Ippei gets up in a hurry, pays at the register, and begins tailing Haraguchi Shinichi.

Haraguchi took a relaxed pace walking for five minutes, and then enters a cafe in front of Kuin station. Ippei entered aswell. He sees Haraguchi sitting by the window in a box seat. He might take notice if he gets too close, so Ippei sits down at the counter instead.

Haraguchi starts fidgeting impatiently, and frequently looks out the window. It seems like he's waiting for someone.
All of a sudden he begins ready and adjust himself. He saw the person he was waiting for.
The person who entered the store was a woman in her mid 20s. Although she's quite thin, and has a long face, even so she is quite a beautiful woman.

Haraguchi waves to her with a smile. The woman gives a bearing of hesitation, but with an indifferent expression she walks to the seat and sits down.
Haraguchi Appeals something of her, to which the woman answers coldly. That continues a bit longer, until Haraguchi says one last thing with a grim look in his face, and stands from his seat. Ippei takes a drink from his coffee, then starts quickly following.

It seems Haraguchi was quite irritated,he quickly went back the way he came paying no heed to left or right. He angrily yells at a kid who almost ran into him. Haraguchi immediately returns to Takanashi Heights, quickly opens the door and disappears inside.

When Ippei saw that he returns to the window seat in Charade, this time he orders black tea and a sandwich. When the waitress sees that Ippei is back a second time, she gives him a dubious look, causing Ippei to force an awkward smile.

That day's afternoon was spent keeping an eye on room 103's door. However the only time Haraguchi went out the door was at 4PM to get the evening paper, he didn't come out after that.

When the designated time of 8PM arrives, Ippei gets up and stretches. Good grief, the first day of the job is finally over. His whole body was stiffened. Private eye work is not an easy occupation.

He returns to Iwashita detective agency on his scooter, then calls Endo Ritsuko to report about the day's events.
"He was having a meet up with a woman at a cafe, you say...?
That's could be who he's seeing at the moment. Haraguchi used to be pretty popular with girls"
"You say he's popular, but it looked like he was rejected."

"Well it's not hard to imagine seeing as how he's unemployed, and living a life of depravity.... Other than seeing that woman, Haraguchi didn't go anywhere else, I take it."
"Correct. There was no sign of him trying to close to your daughter."
Endou Ritsuko breathes a sigh of relief. Then says she'll rely on him keeping a look out tomorrow, then hangs up.

It's the next morning of the 27th at 8AM.
Ippei sits at the window seat of Charade just as the store opens, orders a coffee and keeps an eye on room 103. The waitress from yesterday gives him a suspicous stare, but Ippei doesn't let it get to him.

9:00 rolls around, and room 103's door opens, revealing Haraguchi. He's wearing a red checker pattern sweater with blue jeans. Ippei thinking he's going somewhere starts getting up from his seat, but Haraguchi only walks to the mailboxes at the entrance, takes the morning paper and immediately returns to his room.

Later, in the afternoon Haraguchi exits his room again. Because he's wearing a down jacket, surely that means he is going out somewhere. Ippei hurries and exits Charade, then tails Haraguchi.

With a relaxed pace he walks to a shopping district, and enters a supermarket. There was a slight feeling of sorrow given off from the sharp faced man by himself walking around the store while carrying a shopping basket.

Ippei takes a shopping basket aswell and nonchalantly follows Haraguchi. Haraguchi buys a can of meat sauce and a six pack of beer, then returns to Takanashi Heights. Ippei also returns to the window seat in Charade and continues his look out.

It's 3 in the afternoon, and a black coated man stands in front of the door of room 103, and rings the doorbell. Ippei sees the side of his face and is immediately bewildered, and though it was strange that Haraguchi was outside all of a sudden. But when he squinted his eyes, it was someone else. His body, skin and facial features resembled Haraguchi, but this one is wearing glasses, moreover there's a completely different aura about him.

Haraguchi opens the door, he exchanges words with the man and lets him in. Just who could it be? If he resembled him that much then it could be a sibling. The man comes out after around 30 minutes, then exits the apartment.

Later on it the exact same thing as yesterday happened. Haraguchi comes out once at 4:00PM to grab the evening paper, and is not seen whatsoever for the duration leading to 8:00 PM.

Ippei returns to Iwashita detective Agency, and calls Ritsuko to report.
"A man who looks a lot like Haraguchi? That has to be his little brother Kyouji-san."
"He has a little brother?"
"Yes. He works as a nurse, but unlike Haraguchi, Kyouji is a very serious person"
"Today Haraguchi went out to go to a nearby supermarket, he stayed at home the whole time afterward. It didn't look like he went to go see your daughter."
"I am relieved to hear that. I really am glad that I asked the detective agency for this."

Ippei is at the window seat of Charade the following morning of the 28th at 8AM. Unbearably dozy he yawns over and over. Having been engrossed in a game last night, he stayed up late. The waitress must have lost interest, since she pays no heed to Ippei.

At 9:00 AM Haraguchi comes out of room 103 like always, and goes to the mailbox like always, returning with the newspaper in hand. He goes back into his room as his pale face yawns.

Ippei thinks this is quite a bore.
Although it would be troublesome if the target moved all the time, but a static target is just as bad. It would be much more entertaining if he moved at least a little in order to test out some tailing arts. More exciting jobs would be appreciated since he's been looking forward to being a private eye.
Ippei would never have thought that Haraguchi would be killed two days later.

Chapter 2
The limbless body

There is a proverb that goes, the dog that trots about finds a bone, but in Amano Tsukasa's case when she trots about she finds a corpse. That is to say, she isn't part of the police in particular, but just a college student aspiring to be a cameraman. Since she is an impoverished student, she must earn a wage, she takes on various part-time jobs. While in the middle of one, she happens upon a murder almost as if it were predestined like something out of a mystery novel.

It is the 30th of Janurary, 10 in the morning. Tsukasa stops her bicycle in front of an apartment building called Takanashi Heights. Tsukasa is a part time subscription fee collector, and Haraguchi of room 103 is one of those subscribers.

Tsukasa rang the doorbell. She waited a while, but no one answered. No matter how many times she rang it no one came out. She peeps into the gap of the door and sees that the door isn't locked, meaning that there's no mistake about them being inside. So they think pretending to be away will work. Tsukasa thought so as she opened the door and shouted.
"I'm from Touzai Newspaper! I came to see about the fee!"

As soon as she steps inside, she was inside the kitchen, no was there. She could see a living room is in the back, but there was no one in there either. However there was a slight fishy odor in the air in the room.
Just what is that smell?
Tsukasa felt a strange sinister feeling arise for some reason. After being confused about what to do for a while, she decided to check and make sure.
"This is Touzai Newspaper! I came to see about the subscription fee!"

While holding up her collection bag like a shield , she takes off her shoes and steps inside. There's a shower immediately to the left, the door was halfway open. Right next to the door was an undressing basket, taken off clothes and a crumpled towel are tossed inside. Moreover, the fishy smell is coming from the half open door. Tsukasa fearfully looked inside, and instinctively let out a scream at what she saw.

On the floor of the bathroom laid the limbless body of a man in his pajamas. Not just his head, his hands, and his feet were all gone. Of course there's no way he's alive in this state.
Tsukasa put her shoes on in a panic, dashed out of room 103, and dialed 110 on her cellphone to report it.
"Excuse me, what happened?"

When she heard the carefree voice of a young man, Tsukasa let out another scream. When she looks at him, she saw a undependable looking young adult in the middle of his 20s looking at her suspiciously. He has a skinny build, and a dozy looking slack face.
"There's a dead body."
"A-A dead body? Who's? Could it be Haraguchi..."

"I don't know who's it is. Because there's no head"
"N-No head?"
The young man looked like he was about to faint.
"By the way, who are you? Do you know Haraguchi Shinichi-san?"
"No, I don't know him. I work for a private eye agency, and I took a request to keep a watch on him."

Tsukasa couldn't help but stare at him. She imagined private eye detectives wearing trench coats, as sulky looking middle aged men, but the one in front of her looks like some boring graduate student.
"You were keeping watch?"

"Yeah, everyday, from 8 in the morning to 8 at night, from the cafe across the street I kept my eye on this room's front door. Haraguchi always goes to get the paper at 9 in the morning, but only today he didn't show up, I thought it was mysterious why he didn't.

Next thing you know you go inside the room, then jump out like you've seen a ghost, and you started calling someone, that gave me a bad feeling so I came to see what happened..."

"If you've been keeping an eye on this door, then didn't you see the culprit?"
"Culprit? No, Ever since I've started keeping watch, you were the only one to go inside, besides
..."

If that's the case, then the culprit must have gone into room 108 to carry out the crime when this useless looking looking private eye wasn't keeping watch. That damned culprit killed him before I could collect the fee, so you think you can win against a newspaper fee collector? I swear in the name of fee collection, that I will stop at nothing to take down the culprit, Tsukasa vowed.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 12, 2017

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
What's the betting it's the brother who's dead?

Also I'm not sure if "limbless" is the right word here? The body has its limbs, just not head, hands or feet. Decapitated, maybe?

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

eating only apples posted:

What's the betting it's the brother who's dead?

Also I'm not sure if "limbless" is the right word here? The body has its limbs, just not head, hands or feet. Decapitated, maybe?

This case is interesting when it comes to who the body belongs to.

About limbless, in Japanese kubi can mean joint or neck, and they call the corpse "kubi nashi" meaning without limbs.
Not something that easily translates

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Entering the the victim's apartment without permission when the door isn't locked? Tsukasa is serious about getting that money!

I wonder..seems like there's a big gap in the watch for something to happen. Alternatively, the victim is on the ground floor so I wonder about some back window shenanigans.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It must be a cultural thing about owing people money, it seems to be a trope that if you owe any amount the debt collector can treat you pretty bad and barge in demanding payment.

Anyway, this one should be interesting. I do feel that the quick "how did it happen" is with the brother in the coat. There was even the remark about how similar they looked. I wonder if that's how he was visiting the daughter as well?

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Entering the the victim's apartment without permission when the door isn't locked? Tsukasa is serious about getting that money!

I wonder..seems like there's a big gap in the watch for something to happen. Alternatively, the victim is on the ground floor so I wonder about some back window shenanigans.

She even had the guts to look inside the shower, even though the clothes on the basket mean there could be someone changing in there.
Absolute madwoman.
Would she have just said "I'm here to collect"?

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
: A dismembered body with an unknown identity huh...
: When I remember this it really makes me want to cry
: I can't get the subscription fee, and I had to see a terrible horrific dead body on top of that
: So, what do you think?
: Did you get any bright ideas?
: No, nothing yet.
: All that I know so far is...
: The body was found in room 103 of Takanashi Heights, Haraguchi Shunichi's room.
: And the body...
Question: What part of the body was dismembered
Answer: The neck, wrists and ankles
: Right! If you see that kind of thing you'll never forget it.....
: Nobody in their right mind would even think about doing something like cutting up a body
: They're already out of the limits of being in their right mind at the point they commit murder
: Besides, cutting up a body is not an easy thing to do
: Since they did it on purpose, they must have had a pretty good reason for it
: You found the body in the shower room, didn't you?
: Yes.... When I looked inside the half open door, it was on the floor like duuuun....!
: The room wasn't locked and as you enter a dead body was on the shower room door
: The culprit had no intention of hiding the body
: Maybe they were hurrying to get out, and didn't have the time?
: Or maybe they wanted it to be found by someone
: I found it successfully....
: Well, that's all I wanted to confirm
: I'd like to see what the police investigation results were
: Now, let's go through the 3rd chapter

Chapter 3
Scene Investigation

It was 10:40AM when the first investigation team, led by Marunouchi Keiji arrived at the scene.

The scene was a cheap 5 story apartment building called "Takanashi Heights". The jurisdiction's detectives have taped off the surroundings to preserve the scene, making rubber neckers stick to it. The uniformed patrolman who was keeping watch next to the barricade tape gives a salute, however Marunouchi only gives a light nod, then goes under the tape and steps into the apartment.

"Thanks for your work, inspector"
The jurisdiction's detective greets him when Marunouchi steps into the entrance where the mailboxes are.
"This body's a crazy one. Seeing as how there's five decapitations"
"Five heads? What the hell. There's not just one body but five?"

"No, there's only one"
"Then why are there five decapitations? You saying it's a Hydra, how many heads are there?"

"There's lots of appendages in people that can be decapitated. The victim's-"
The detective points to his Adam's apple,
"Neck, arms and feet were all decapitated."

Marunouchi snickers.
"Know I get it, you mean dismembered. How's the investigation?"
"Forensics are working at the moment. I think they'll be done soon."
"Who found the body?"
"Those two over there"

The non-uniformed detective accompanies him to a man and girl who are standing idly bored. It was a lanky young man, the other a fair skin baby faced petite girl. Marunouchi immediately sighs when he sees the girl.

"Oh if it isn't investigator Marunouchi. Fancy meeting you here."
The girl noticing Marunouchi with her keen eye talked to him.
"...You again. Found another body did you?"
"Yup, that's right"

Tsukasa answered with a bright smile as Marunouchi sour visage stayed the same. She's supposed to be in her 20s but she looks younger because of her child like face. Although she's an aspiring cameraman college student, a broke one, therefore she's apparently doing odd jobs frequently in order to earn a living.

"Do you know her, chief?"
The detective asks with surprise.
"Kind of. It's an unsavory tie type of things."
For some reason Marunouchi keeps seeing her come up in murder cases. The case at the time was one that's inconspicuously like a mystery novel, making Marunouchi grasp at his head. Hence, the foreboding feeling Marunouchi felt when seeing her once again.

According to the detective's explanation, the lanky guy is Hachimoto Ippei, a private eye agency employee who has been keeping an eye on the victim, Haraguchi Shinichi since January 26 to the 31st starting from 8 in the morning until 8 at night. The client was worried about her divorced husband, Haraguchi following their daughter around, so she had his actions kept in check.

Hachimoto Ippei was keeping and eye on room 103 this morning aswell from the window seat of the cafe across the street, however only today did Haraguchi not go to retrieve the morning paper, no matter how long, he thought it was mysterious why he that happened.

At about 10 in the morning Tsukasa, who was working as a fee collector arrived at room 103. Tsukasa became annoyed when she noticed the door was unlocked, yet there was nor response to the doorbell being rung over and over, causing her to open the door, and smells some thing's off and then finds the dead body. Ippei then notices Tsukasa dash out of the apartment when she dials 110, Ippei wondering what happened goes to her.

Before long the forensics leader arrives and informs of their work is done. Both Marunouchi and the police surgeon step into the scene of room 103.

There's a dining kitchen over the entrance, beyond that is a six tatami mat living room. To the left of the entrance is a shower room, to the right is the bathroom. The shower door is open, the dead body can be seen with a glance. Marunouchi braces himself and looks inside the shower room.

The dead body of an average sized man wearing long sleeved pajamas was laying face up. The man's neck, wrists, and ankles were all cut off at the joint, showing the dark red slice. The skin is quite pale for a man. The estimated age is from 30 to 35 years old, estimated height being 170cm tall give or take, Marunouchi thought to himself.

A knife was stabbed into the left side of the chest. There was a saw lying on the floor that's thought to have been used for the cutting, aswell as traces of large amounts of blood. It seems the pajamas were a grayish blue, but are stained by all the blood, there are reddish black spots all over.

The culprit probably dismembered the limbs in order to hide the identity of the body. Because without those parts, the identity of the body can't be determined through appearance, teeth, fingerprint, palm print, toe print or foot size. You would assume that the victim is the resident of the apartment, Haraguchi Shinichi, but an identity check will still be necessary.

There were splashes of blood covering the walls of the shower room staining it dark red. The bathtub was covered by a lid, he looked inside, but there was no water, it was completely dry.

Marunouchi leaves the shower room, the police surgeon steps inside. The surgeon undresses the pajamas off the body. The paleness of the body was unusually pale for a man. While the surgeon was inspecting the body, Marunouchi investigates the room.

By the side of the shower door was a clothes basket. Inside was a brown checkered long sleeved shirt, an under shirt, blue jeans, and a wet crumpled towel tossed inside. Someone undressed and took a shower.

That's when Marunouchi remembered the dry bathtub. Whoever undressed did not bathe in the bathtub. But taking into account that they used a towel means they must have taken a shower.

So then, who could have taken a shower. The culprit or the victim. Considering the victim was in pajamas, it seems likely that the victim took a shower. It's also likely the culprit took a shower to wash off the blood after dismembering, but in that case he probably wouldn't leave behind the clothes he had on and towel he used.

First of all, the floor of the shower room is taken up by the body, so there would not have been any room for the culprit to take a shower, and surely they wouldn't try to shower in a place where they just dismembered someone. With that, it can be concluded that the one who took a shower is the victim.

The dining kitchen's footing is made of flooring, there's a small table, two chairs, kitchen cabinet, fridge, trashcan, and a large LCD TV.
He opens the fridge and sees sauce, mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, butter, and a six pack of canned beer. In the freezer was an ice tray and an insertable ice pillow bag.

The LCD tv is placed on top of a stand, in the storage space of the stand were various movie DVDs.
Under the sink were fry pans, pots and bowls, on the door were 3 knives hanging. There are quite serious cooking utensils that are assembled, oddly Haraguchi seemed to cook for himself which is rare for a man who lives alone.

Next to the sink was a garbage can with a lid. Opening the lid shows one ice pillow bag with the seal cut off thrown away with nothing else in the trash can.

Next Marunouchi goes into the living room in the back. A carpet is laid out, with a bed, drawer, and a luxurious audio system set up. Next to the bed was a plastic carbage can, but it was empty. Next to the audio system was a CD case, there's several dozen CDs inside.

Before long the police surgeon comes out.
"Doctor, what's the estimated time of death"
"Judging by rigor mortis and algor mortis temperature drop, it's between yesterday night at 11 to 12. A fat autopsy may shorten the time though."

Marunouchi remembers that Hachimoto Ippei said he was keeping watch on Haraguchi from 8AM to 8PM. Unfortunately the time of death is past the watch time, it's highly unlikely he saw the culprit.

"Cause of death?"
"The knife stabbed to the left part of the chest. It must have been close to instant death"
"Are we wrong in assuming the saw that was lying at the scene was used for dismembering?"
"No mistake about it. There's even fragments of bone on the blade when it was used for cutting."

"Is the culprit man or woman?"
"It can be either one. Certainly it requires hard work to dismember five limbs from a body, but even women have the strength to do that much."

"Did you notice anything else?"
"There's one thing that's bothering me. The position of where the wrists and ankles were cut, the position's match for both the left and right respective limbs."
"Both left and right match equally?"

"For example for the wrist's case, the left wrist and left wrist are cut about 23 centimeters measuring from the elbow. I've dealt with many bodies that had their arms cut off, every one of those bodies wrists were cut at varying positions. Naturally, no one dismembers with measurments."

However, this body's wrist cut position variation is only a couple of milimeters off. You can say the same thing for the ankles."
"The cut position varies only a couple of milimeters? What does that mean? Did the culprit dismember after measuring? Why would they do that?"
"Beats me. Isn't that your guys's job to find out."
Marunouchi snickers.

Next, Marunouchi calls Hachimoto Ippei to hear about what happened during the time he watched Haraguchi Shinichi from the 26th until today.

/that's it for this update. 100 pages translated 200 more to go!
Right now I'm guessing the culprit is Haraguchi himself, and he killed someone and hid their identity to make it people think someone killed Haraguchi.

I know what everyone's wondering though, "What about DNA?" They cover that later but I'll just put it in spoilers
All they say is the DNA of the body matches the clothes and towel in the basket

juicedup fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 29, 2017

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

quote:

Right now I'm guessing the culprit is Haraguchi himself, and he killed someone and hid their identity to make it people think someone killed Haraguchi.

That does seem like the most reasonable answer so far. Why else go to all the trouble of removing all parts of the body that could be used to identify the person instead of just dumping the body somewhere they couldn't be found?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
It seems to be the obvious thing that the best reason to present the scene like this is to misdirect, especially with the saw, knife, etc, left unceremonously at the scene.

One thing on my mind to is about the discovery; the fact that Miss Pushy Subscription Collector(who drolly complains about not getting the fee before complaining about the body) found it seems like something the culprit could not expect- so I wonder when they actually had an expectation on who they'd want to discover the body and when. But that might be attributing too much intentionality.

The cut precision is an interesting wrinkle - given the last story I wonder if it will just be a red herring, but I wonder why the culprit cared to be so particular
about that, especially if they were using a hand saw in a tiny room.

Some translation nuance stuff:
So the shower room is one where the whole room one big prefab shower/bath setup? (I looked it up because its not something you really see in north america - would ユニットバス be the right term?)
Also I'm curious about the decapitation/dismembered exchange. Was it some sort of pun?

• Locked thread