Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I think in less than 2 months the world will be subjected to the spectacle of a rich and elegant old woman stepping on a political party's throat with her expensive high heels and killing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fullhouse posted:

i'm super leftist and i've never heard a policy proposal to ban golf courses before but i'm super into it

the more i think about this the better it sounds. let's get this in the platform
i think hugo chavez did this and it was one of the few things i actually liked about him

the other thing was that he seemed like an all-around jolly guy to hang out with

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

That's really bringing up an interesting question. Is golf the most expensive sport in terms of labor and resources? Because all of the water, land, and groundskeeping that's necessary just to maintain the ability to play has to be astronomical even compared to a sport like baseball, where you can just play on astroturf.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's really bringing up an interesting question. Is golf the most expensive sport in terms of labor and resources? Because all of the water, land, and groundskeeping that's necessary just to maintain the ability to play has to be astronomical even compared to a sport like baseball, where you can just play on astroturf.

hockey might be more

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If we're excluding motor sports, my hunch is that equestrian sports would be more expensive.

you don't have as much groundskeeping requirements but horse maintenance would have to be comparable

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Golf absolutely is because people like to put them in the middle of deserts

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Jose posted:

Golf absolutely is because people like to put them in the middle of deserts

true but its probably way cheaper in places like scotland where large parts of the country are basically primeval golf courses to begin with

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

hockey might be more

The Bell Centre in Montreal is the largest hockey arena in the world, and it only takes up a field size of 72,000 square meters. The average golf course takes up 75,000 square meters, but whereas a hockey arena is mostlly inert concrete, steel, and asphalt, a golf course has tens of thousands of square meters of turf that have to be maintained with a highly regulated amount of water constantly.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Golf is also the most expensive sport to play, hence the elite/white reputation. Which is why Tiger Woods was such a big deal. He was also an insane child prodigy who just destroyed everyone starting at, like, age two.

Tennis is also up there in terms of "elite" sports. Tennis courts are relatively cheap. However (!) it's very expensive to train an athlete up to a professional level. A lot of pros are children of tennis coaches, had rich parents and/or had their tournament trips paid for with state subsidies in some countries.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 12:20 on Apr 23, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Golf is also the most expensive sport to play, hence the elite reputation.

Tennis is also up there in terms of "elite" sports. But tennis courts are cheap. However (!) it's very expensive to train an athlete up to a professional level. A lot of pros are children of tennis coaches, had rich parents and/or had their tournament trips paid for with state subsidies in some countries.

I'd say that's due primarily to the social costs creating unnecessary barriers to entry. What's of concern regarding golf are the real physical and labor costs associated with it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Surely polo costs more

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the temperature hasn't gone below freezing in Tampa Bay in decades but they manage to send a hockey team pretty far into the playoffs most years anyway

wonder how much chilling that arena costs in May

probably less than it costs to keep all the golf courses in SoCal green during a drought

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

Surely polo costs more
Only if played with elephants as god intended

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/23/tony-blair-vote-tory-or-lib-dem-where-they-are-open-minded-on-brexit

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/sophwilkinson/status/856062591428419588

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol @ that fuckin radge

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
She's got the gorilla mindset

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

UKIP did poll as finding beastiality acceptable more than any other party

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

UKIP did poll as finding beastiality acceptable more than any other party
I need some data analytics right now overlapping the UKIP/Brexit vote with percentage of sheep per constituency

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
The real question is if it's okay to gently caress a gorilla that's the same sex as you

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/856234273132744705

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013

How is Blair still politically relevant? Dude should be in jail for all the lies and fear he pushed to get UK into Iraq.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Tingfinder posted:

How is Blair still politically relevant? Dude should be in jail for all the lies and fear he pushed to get UK into Iraq.

Because every liberal knows the white man has to civilize the foriegn savages the west must spread liberal democacy.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
Blair was middle east peace envoy once, come on he has the qualifications and heart.

Blair for labour leader

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tingfinder posted:

He isn't. The Guardian and the BBC and so on still report his opinion like it matters, but UK opinion on the man is pretty much "shut the gently caress up before we remember to jail you".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/sta...r%3D163%23pti19

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/856442531642564608

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/856800579934408704

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

I always laugh at poo poo like this because your army doesnt matter

america will fight your wars for you
you are in no danger
russia will not attack
china will not attack
you have no neighbors who could attack you
you are fine

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I always laugh at poo poo like this because your army doesnt matter

america will fight your wars for you
you are in no danger
russia will not attack
china will not attack
you have no neighbors who could attack you
you are fine

then please explain why an ISIS member is currently severing my head off, thanks.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

lorn Wayne posted:

then please explain why an ISIS member is currently severing my head off, thanks.

that's not isis, that's a scotsman

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Jeremy Corbyn or any other pro-russian anti-western mad dog becoming the leader of a country as important as Britain would be a terrible calamity.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

hakimashou posted:

Jeremy Corbyn or any other pro-russian anti-western mad dog becoming the leader of a country as important as Britain would be a terrible calamity.

This was a what liberals actually believe.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

hakimashou posted:

Source?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
still relevant imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRLGg10nwME

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReIAna459sg

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

hakimashou posted:

lol britain as important

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Tingfinder posted:

In that case they should probably consider making some changes, the polls are not looking great for them.

Obviously doesn't help that a lot of ill informed workers are voting for the rich people to screw them over, due to their misguided fears of immigrants. Seems like just some basic history lessons would make them realize how silly it is to just blame the immigrants.

a poor person isn't in a position to provide jobs :smuggo:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw-JUlHz7ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Homeless Friend posted:

lol britain as important

I initially read it as impotent and the whole sentence made more sense.