Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Yinlock posted:

https://twitter.com/katereadsbks/status/940643701918797825

p. good thread about how the absolute boy got so absolute and the hilarious series of self-owns by the centrists who vastly overestimated their popularity

https://twitter.com/katereadsbks/status/940684767112019968

"the blairites, who imagined there was a reservoir of centrist voters just beyond the walls of the party"

Lol. No matter which side of the Atlantic these morons just keep waiting for the mythic "reasonable centrist/moderate conservatives" to come over rather than actually do anything to appeal to their existing base, and it bites them every goddamn time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/14/britain-first-leader-paul-golding-arrested-in-belfast

lol owned

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Things never seem to go well for Britain First in NI

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

decent

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Lol. No matter which side of the Atlantic these morons just keep waiting for the mythic "reasonable centrist/moderate conservatives" to come over rather than actually do anything to appeal to their existing base, and it bites them every goddamn time.

Turns out the key to centrism and neoliberalism around the globe was disengaging the public from politics to the point they stopped turning up to vote. The Blair/Brown years were built off the back of record low turnouts.

Unfortunately the first people to start turning up to vote again in big numbers were thumb people which is how we got Brexit and UKIP with 20% of the vote in 2015

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Candidate is a very funny book because of how dumb Corbyn's opponents were time and time again.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

forkboy84 posted:

The Candidate is a very funny book because of how dumb Corbyn's opponents were time and time again.

I read it as The Candadate for some reason.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Ague Proof posted:

Finally seen one of these Centrist Dad’s I hear so much about

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Ague Proof posted:

lol I did as well.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Ague Proof posted:

the absolute dad

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Supporting Corbyn: getting on the real good poo poo.
Not supporting Corbyn: making GBS threads on the real good git.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/941345172671074304

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

can dad appreciation station

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Yinlock posted:

can dad appreciation station

dad's can appreciation station

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
home office upping the degree of their fascism by literally rendering people stateless now

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/941337214205792256

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i hate the sun

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

How lovely of that doting mother to save up throughout the year to make sure her kids have great Christmas :)

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

wait that book isnt called 'The can dad ate'?? what the gently caress, fire whoever designed that cover into the sun

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

HerraS posted:

wait that book isnt called 'The can dad ate'?? what the gently caress, fire whoever designed that cover into the sun

british book covers, magazine covers, and movie posters are always the worst

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

its all gaudy trash

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lotta british culture seems predicated on the idea that the common folk are uncultured dogbrained idiots but we, sophisticated braine geniouses, are obligated to appeal to them and their base moronism

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
that’s true the common folks are called chavs and they actually have the funniest bits of british culture

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

dont agree w me you monster

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

i hate the sun

tis the season to be furious about giving paltry sums of cash to children

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I started thinking about May and Osbourne standing weird and I laughed thanks for listening to my story

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So guys I'm enjoying this thread and learning stuff but every eighth post or so is just this gif:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

someone should send her even more gifts for the kids I'm and also send a brick thru the suns window

celebrate the season

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the can dad ate

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Aliquid posted:

I started thinking about May and Osbourne standing weird and I laughed thanks for listening to my story

pictured: british politics

https://youtu.be/4-eNF3XKJfE

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i don't get it

does the new spider man feature a suicide bomber as the protagonist? i'm okay with that

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Aliquid posted:

i don't get it

does the new spider man feature a suicide bomber as the protagonist? i'm okay with that

wait there's a lot of wind at the finish; the antagonist bends conspicuously low and there's no explanation why

i'm not sure i understand the canon

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i saw lee speak in '04 or so, the speech was bent towards dr X being MLK and magneto being Malcom X

i assume the marxist themes carry on, i have no reason to believe otherwise

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's bad fam

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 09:44 on Dec 16, 2017

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Are you ok? Would you like a glass of water

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Jose posted:

i hate the sun

How much do you think she's getting paid for the story? Surely she's not putting her face on the front page of the sun for nothing? Wouldn't getting a cash sum from The Sun kick her off her benefits?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

lmao at how the new voter scheme backfired on the Blairite faction.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
On the subject of things that backfired horribly, here's an excellent take about £3 supporters which has aged like a fine wine

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

From the same author

quote:

The day I stopped believing in the friendship myth

Only four out of ten pals turned up for my stag do, not including the ‘best friend’ who organised it

Toby Young

Should we be surprised that friendship isn’t always mutual? That is one of the findings of a team of researchers at Tel Aviv University who’ve just published a paper in an academic journal. They asked several hundred students to identify which members of their peer group they considered to be ‘friends’. On average, half the people included in this category by each respondent did not feel the same way about them.

According to the researchers, this news would come as a shock to most people. The students in the survey thought that 95 per cent of the people they regarded as ‘friends’ would identify them as ‘friends’ too. But I can’t say I’m surprised. In fact, a 50 per cent reciprocity score strikes me as suspiciously high. The researchers cite another friendship survey in which the score was only 34 per cent. That seems about right to me.

I haven’t always been so cynical. Before I got married, I was a fully signed-up member of the friendship cult. Like many young men, I regarded my close friends as a kind of substitute family, with all the accompanying ties and responsibilities. If one of them was in trouble, you did everything in your power to help them and if you were in trouble you could expect the same of them. As far as I was concerned, we had a lot in common with the Mafia, save for the need to do something unspeakable before you were admitted. Loyalty was the supreme virtue, with any other quality coming a distant second.

It was on my stag weekend 15 years ago that the scales fell from my eyes. There were about ten people I placed in the innermost circle — my own personal Cosa Nostra — and I invited them all to Malaga a week before I got married. Or rather my best friend invited them, having volunteered to organise the trip. He promised a whistle-stop tour of the most glamorous nightclubs in Marbella and enlisted the help of a well-connected local DJ to smooth our passage. I didn’t think of this as an opportunity for a final blowout with my nearest and dearest, since it didn’t occur to me that I’d be seeing any less of them after I got married. Innocent that I was, I thought of marriage as adding another person to my intimate circle rather than the substitution of one for the other.

I experienced a brutal reality check when only four of the ten honoured guests appeared at the Spanish hotel on the Friday evening. The no-shows included my best friend, the organiser of the festivities. He left a message on my phone explaining that he’d been held up by an ‘emergency’ and might be a few hours late — needless to say, he never made it — but he’d fully briefed another member of the group and he was more than happy to take the reins. Unfortunately, that ‘friend’ didn’t materialise either. We ended up spending the first night in an ‘English pub’ watching West Ham lose 2-0 to Leeds United.

The low point was the ‘activity’ on the Saturday – a scuba-diving trip to some local caves which my best friend had persuaded me to pay for on the understanding that everyone would pay me back. They might have, too, if they’d bothered to turn up.

In the event, only three of us made the trip, with the other two refusing to get out of bed for the early morning start. It made no odds anyway, because the scuba instructor decided to cancel the dive at the last minute on account of the heavy rain. He gave me a partial refund but kept the deposit, which, if memory serves, was around £500.

As we puttered back to shore in the leaky fishing boat, the rain lashing our wetsuits, I had a moment of clarity. My belief in the unbreakable bonds of friendship was a sentimental illusion. The true test isn’t when you’re in trouble — it’s relatively easy to stand by your friends in their hour of need, although, come to think of it, plenty of my friends have failed that test, too. It’s whether they’re prepared to inconvenience themselves for your benefit, particularly if it involves getting on a plane and shelling out a few hundred quid. Turned out 60 per cent of the people I regarded as my closest friends weren’t.

In retrospect, it was a good lesson to learn just before getting married. After that, whenever there was a conflict between loyalty to Caroline and loyalty to my friends, I was never in any doubt about who came first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

lol owned