Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Because until I posted in CSPAM I didn't really venture into DnD except to say "jesus christ what a lot of poo poo posts" then one day I dipped my toe in the water like an idiot instead of staying back.

I think the thread is less prolier-than-thou than it used to be though? idk

It used to be even worse and is still pretty bad yeah.

do they still have regular arguments about whether rowing is proper working class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

labour should really just make an immense number of may=thatcher flyers and send one to everyone in the uk. boom, election won.

for the tories yes

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Surely polo costs more

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Related:

https://twitter.com/YeshAtidEng/status/855436865142390785

Macron is a big test. And I see comparisons between him and Hillary, but I dunno. Hillary seemed to have run to the left, however much goons will violently resist that characterization. Or maybe she was just all over the place. These other centrists seem to be different ... uhh... somehow.

Uhhhh

gently caress if I know

wasn't this dude literally part of netanyahu's coalition

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hakimashou posted:

I worry for britain since it seems as though it may be becoming a racist and anti-immigrant country.

If this is true, then the labour party and all progressive forces will have to make a hard choice between on the one hand giving up some level of righteous purity, and on the other, giving the tories, the racists, and the nativists a blank check to run the country any way they want, without reservations.

lol

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it's plenty possible to leave the Euro, which is what everyone should have done 8 years ago

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

rudatron posted:

He campaigned with his party.

Meanwhile UKIP straight up lied about diverting money to the NHS and has been racially dogwhistling about migrants since forever.

Blaming corbyn for brexit is this stupid game where, somehow, the left is guilty of eveeything, even when they're not in power. David Cameron made a dumb pledge and gave the brexit guys their airtime, blame lays on his shoulders if its to lay on anyone.

he also enforced a three line whip in favor of brexit when it came up in the house of commons

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

what was the logic there?

if they went against "the will of the people" it would make them look bad

i assume this means he will be whipping in favor of all tory proposals in the next parliament when labour loses

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Democracies are the governments that ignore votes, right?

so do you agree with the second part or

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i understand how reversing course on neoliberalism and going back to old labour re: economic policies is supposed to win back voters lost to ukip, but how is opposing nato supposed to do that

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Baloogan posted:

USSR was one of the most if not the most horrible country in history on the face of the planet, if they are the bar we're comparing ourselves to then lol we're hosed

this is a bit much imho

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hakimashou posted:

NK is so bad because of how like the USSR it is.

uh huh

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Someone in the UK DnD thread earlier today was posting about how the the US Constitution was a terrible thing because it allows slavery.

i know you think that's a good thing but a lot of people have finally agreed that's bad

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the us constitution doesn't allow slavery (any more) but it's bad for other reasons, many of them a product of how old it is

his mixing of verb tenses confused me

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hakimashou posted:

The US fought the bloodiest war in its history to end slavery. More americans died fighting over slavery than in all the other wars we've fought put together.

Why didn't the british fight a civil war to end the british empire? Were brits just not as good people as Americans?

yeah british people are extremely bad have you not been reading the thread

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

jBrereton posted:

"We never had these problems at British Leyland" claims Corbyn wrt NHS hacks.

lol

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hakimashou posted:

The way I see it, hunting the fox is the most british thing there is.

Many brits don't seem to realize that their magnificent rural country culture is their last remaining national treasure.

It turns out that opinion polling on fox hunting is split about 80/20, which is almost exactly the same as the urban/rural split.

Issues like fox hunting should be devolved to rural leaders to decide, it doesn't concern city people.

It's the soul of britain.

you're so loving weird

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

also the soul of britain is starving brown people to death hth

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I thought communists were supposed to be optimistic about humanity

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

rudatron posted:

Optimistic =/= utopian. You build a better future based on how people are observed to behave. You don't expect a bunch of fairy dust to solve your problems for you, than fall back on an elitist superiority complex when it fails (clearly those dirty poors didn't try hard enough to not be racist, ergo its 100% their fault).

The flipside of starry eyed utopianism, is depressive fatalism, after its inevitable (& traumatic) contact with reality. Both are toxic, in their own way.

"race war is inevitable" doesn't seem very optimistic to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

race war or forced assimilation, fine