Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
corbyn is going to get rear end-hosed because he is an uncompromising marxist and it turns out you have to be flexible on a lot of issues to be liked by dozens of millions enough to be voted into power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

whomupclicklike posted:

Look if Brits can't get behind marxism they deserve the tories

:yeah:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Baloogan posted:

hes power hungry just like everyone else
and lol his party leadership is trying to coup him, why NOT gently caress them up as much as possible?

britains leading tankie mindset expert

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
we wanted a slightly left of centre candidate but instead of we got a pile of turds in a lenin cap

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

hakimashou posted:

He should have stepped down when David Cameron did, immediately after the brexit referendum went the way it did. As leaders, he and Cameron both had a responsibility to guide their people away from that decision, and failing to do it meant they had both failed as leaders.

The coup/leadership challenge was a response to him not doing the right thing.

david cameron wanted to be in the EU more than corbyn

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

get that OUT of my face posted:

corbyn seems like a lovely leader but so would any blairite trash that will be stepping in after labour gets thrashed

i dunno i reckon a blairite that didn't look like wallace from wallace & gromit would have done fine against the may

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Aliquid posted:

How? Introduce a new currency and inflate your way out of debt. The wealthy would never be able to vacation abroad, but that's the only major downside I see.

hyperinflation is not a very good way out of things and generally leads to people dying

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Vox Nihili posted:

Right but one path offers at least an eventual solution, whereas eternal austerity offers an incredibly lovely status quo for the foreseeable future. In a period as short of a decade the nation could potentially recover from a major default.

actually hyperinflation and stuff that comes with it can potentially knock a country out for a decade or more. a decade is a pretty reasonable definition for foreseeable future in my opinion

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

this hyper-rationality that Marxists ascribe to themselves, the ability to peer into the true nature of things and see beyond the hallucinations of the hated liberals, has not been much evidenced in practice. you'd think it would give them some practical advantage to be able to see the world as it really is and not be afflicted by these delusions, but...nope, apparently not.

this post makes people angry itt because it's true

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
jeb will rediscover his british roots and come back to lead the lib dems to glorious victory

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
labour is actually loving itself in the rear end and its own members right now

a group of people got expelled in surrey for cooperating with lesser parties and attempting to unseat the conservative health boss jeremy hunt lmao

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/09/labour-expels-south-west-surrey-members-attempt-unseat-jeremy-hunt

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Jose posted:

fox hunting is coming back lol

who gives a poo poo

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

jBrereton posted:

The level of contempt for the public by the remain campaign was pretty out there.

Like the Leave campaign were utter shysters but that was to be expected; getting the big four accounting firms, all of which should be jailed en masse, to produce a report that says it'll cost everyone £4310 per family in terms of lost GDP in a way that in no way addresses the loss of income by public + private wage restraint relative to GDP growth for the last decade was a particularly loving stupid decision imo

haha the leavers coloured an entire bus with a false promise for billions of pounds for the NHS after the leave vote and lied but it's the remain that had the huge levels of contempt for the public you see

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

jBrereton posted:

The truth is without any hesitation about it being The Lame Answer that both sides were complete loving poo poo.

Pretending that there's going to be £350mil a week which is def going to the NHS is a piss take.

Claiming that it's going to cost everyone a very specific amount of money and that in any case they want an Emergency Brake On Migration is a different more sophisticated on the surface level piss take.

sorry brother but a brexit especially with the current level of negotiation (read none) is going to absolutely hit the average briton in the wallet and the entire economy as well

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Concerned Citizen posted:

their first act would be to behead corbyn

considering the british monarch tradition of beheading people they shag, this would raise a lot of questions

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
sounds like the kind of drivel is that tearing labour apart and leaving us with the lovely may as el presidente for the next many long years

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
death by a million tariffs

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Lawman 0 posted:

how did you guys run out of smart and competent leftists
like everyone in british politics not named Nicola Sturgeon (:swoon:) seems really dumb.

the lost story of how her ancestors got that last name must be incredible

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

hakimashou posted:

She's magnificent just like I said before.

not really, no

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

and i must meme posted:

there's an interview where one of her advisers implies that no-one high up believed in the economic theories they were using (monetarism, I think?) and their objective really was just so capitalists could make more profit at the expense of the working class

i wear a hat made of tinfoil to protect myself from the capitalism rays too

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
clearly the answer is smaller and more inhospitable islands

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

right there in the vid posted:

Now again, I would not say I believe that story, but when I really worry about all this I worry whether that indeed was really what was going on.

great so not even the only source of this statement thinks it's a likely explanation lmao

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So you think Thatcher broke the back of the British working class for fun?

so you think thatcher breaking up the unions that led to a three day week, constant power blackouts because mining didn't produce enough leccy to supply the grid, and that also completely refused to negotiate with a friendly labour government, you think that it wasn't those things that led to thatcher being elected and the unions being broken, it was an evil capitalist conspiracy to destroy them for profit instead lol?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
thatcher doubling on an economic policy that didn't do so well for political reasons was bad, but it wasn't as bad as the entire 1970s when the unions went completely batshit and ground the country to a standstill

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Labour action that isn't economically disruptive is toothless. The whole point of controlling labor is to guarantee the profits of capitalism.

it was the unions being economically disruptive for an entire decade for not very good reasons that made thatcher and her policies popular enough for her to get elected in the first place

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

hakimashou posted:

Corbyn has hired a known communist to head his election campaign.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/863861261720748033

welp goodbye labour lmao

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
whole lotta people that think they wouldn't be in the gulag in the ussr posting itt

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
or in the army getting hardcore hazed and hosed in the rear end by a ded, for that matter

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Cuckb to victory

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

jBrereton posted:

"We never had these problems at British Leyland" claims Corbyn wrt NHS hacks.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the only true fictional communism is that of the strugatsky brothers noon universe series

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

jBrereton posted:

So long as you live in Runnymede and Weybridge, he's.

does staines count

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
everybody looks down on people who live in staines but the people who live in staines still look down on the people who live in feltham

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
and then theres woking

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Helsing posted:

:lol:

According to the rest of the article Corbyn's approval ratings improved by a whopping 11 percent since the last election, bringing him up to a cool -30.

Not really sure what Labour is going to do as long as the Conservatives have a vast swamp of right wing white nationalists they can steal votes from but it hardly looks like Corbyn is their biggest problem right now.

the vast majority of conservative votes are deffo not nazis, just people who think that it's the "common sense" party and that labour is bad at the economy, both pretty long standing british political stereotypes

also that is some quality business insider trolling of blair

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

rudatron posted:

Many migrants to America, at the turn of the 20th century, they would often change their names, to a more anglicized version, to try and better fit in. That's generally not seen as acceptable today with those who want migrants, assimilation is interpreted as kind of oppression, and so it's done away with. But the result of that, is that no integration takes place, which is causing the counter reaction we're seeing right now.

So, if you had a time machine, went back 20 years, and changed policies around integration and migrants, you could probably accept the same number/group of migrants, minus the backlash, if you were more assertive about ensuring that the culture-clash was mitigated. As it is now, it might be too late - I'm not sure there's a quick-fix.

i hear this american dude in a suit with a frog pin stuck to it and a slick haircut may have some quick fix ideas

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

and i must meme posted:

i don't know if integration actually matters. most of the people who support anti-immigrant parties live in almost entirely white towns, the only way they know about immigrants is through the media.

most of these people are just straight up ethnic nationalists. only ethnic british people are british, and only british people get to use our public services/work here/live here at all

that's p funny because i know lots of people who are second or third generation conservative voting turks or pakistanis or indians

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm not sure they're voting for white nationalism tho

i dunno everyone i ask mostly insists on the usual why labour is bad tropes

my turkish friends seem especially adamant about it though

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

CottonWolf posted:

Put a load of immigrants around them

yeah this is working out great lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

CottonWolf posted:

Thing is, this is exactly what's not happening. Where they settle isn't where he anti-immigrant feeling is.

i appreciate not wanting to live in wales