Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Bryter posted:

Minicab riders don't typically have most of their fare paid by VC funding

i thought uber london actually generated a profit on paper unlike most of their operations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

No, there were Labour defectors most notably Corbyn and a few members of his Shadow Cabinet.

It was the Lib Dems under Charles Kennedy who were unified in opposition to the Iraq war.
more like most notably robin cook. corbyn hardly rated a mention in contemporary coverage.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jBrereton posted:

BoJo's brother JoJo is unis man I thought?

yeah Jo Johnson is minister for universities. he's just appointed Toby Young to the new board of HE regulator / competition authority that kicks off this year. The Office for Students.

i trust this man to oversee the Prevent anti-terrorism programme and maintain freedom of speech on campus

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jose posted:

maybe the government should punish virgin by not giving them a £2bn bailout then?

virgin west coast has banned the DM
virgin east coast that's getting the bailout is an entirely different company that's actually 95% stagecoach.

rail franchising is fun

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

i forgot Farron is still an MP

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Fixed, and the blessed Tony Benn, beyond certainly on a fast track to heaven sits in all our hearts, as he said.
that certain breakup of the UK never happened lol

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

marktheando posted:

Cuba also has lovely weather and friendly, welcoming people.
but also a decrepit rail network and janky internet
thread priorities pls

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

No, because Cuba has a good healthcare system while ARE BRITAINE is destroying theirs.
if you're paying in CUC or have seniority enough to get into one of the "foreigner's hospitals" sure

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Looke posted:

ppl gotta have their fried chicken and i don't blame them
oh no they might have to go literally anywhere else instead

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Gum posted:

Is this real life
how could going with the lowest bidder go so badly wrong?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

is everyone else seeing a row of butchered chickens with this headline?

not that i'm desperate to see david davis' face again. it's just odd is all

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

The next election will be in part decided on whether enough old racists have died to sink the tories

Whatever the result is, the answer is not enough

how long does this cold snap have to last do you think?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

72 is already an insane number of deaths, holy poo poo
it's a full quarter of the residents of the tower :(

people could leave the conspiracy theory peddling to the canary & alex jones thanks

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

noted centrist position: cutting all ties with Europe

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

a primate posted:

Why is Jezza for brexit again?
same reason he's against proportional representation

Tony Benn was & he's not changing his mind

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

jBrereton posted:

The massive surge in support that led to neither of them getting a majority, yes.
yes.
tories up from 36.9 to 42.4%
labour up from 30.4 to 40.0%

the FPTP constituency system gives a distorted result compared to the real support parties get at the ballot box. doesn't mean the large increase in vote share for both main parties didn't happen.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

god bless the HMS MayCorbyn and all who sail in her

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Is calling for a referendum on the final Brexit deal contrary to Labour Party policy?

depends what the magic eight ball has decreed is labour's brexit position for the day

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/978318122305409025

Bottom of the article talks about a conspiracy to violate the UK's election spending laws.

Still shocked that the UK government is going ahead with a Brexit no one in any major party wants rather than seizing on any excuse like this to declare the old referendum tainted and stop the economic suicide.

they haven't the spine to change course
but you're wrong to say "no one in any major party wants". there are a minority of swivel-eyed loons in both Tory and Labour who unfortunately do

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bryter posted:

tbf they didn't design the set to include a star of david, that's just the floor of the shooting location (in the Australian embassy in London)
it's not even a star of david is it? it's a generic solid six pointed star rather than a hexagram

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jose posted:

One person commenting on the Tottenham labour Facebook page that David lammy should be deselected is top of the site news by the guardian lol

and we've come full circle. it all started with one stupid facebook post and here we are again

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I ❤️ Jeremy Corbyn

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

SteelMentor posted:

Why the gently caress does Westminister bend over for that bloated git so much? Is it because he has a lovely early 2000's blog?
it's not just the Westminster bubble that bend over for Paul Staine's antics.
how many independent thinking twitter warriors indulge his silly nom de plume? that's all part of his act. pretending to be an outsider with a secret identity.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

There's no new centre left party to vote for yet.
I think Gum is telling you to start one

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Byolante posted:

You realise the first paragraph and the second are mutually exclusive right?

as in you think all points listed in the first paragraph are blocked / forbidden by the EU? or was it just one in particular

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

wonder which labour staffer got tell Corbyn yesterday that Nick Griffin of all people endorsed him

quote:

IF he sticks to his guns then for 1st time in my life I will vote #Labour - right now NOTHING is more important than resisting the psychotic rush to #WW3 of Boris & the #neocons Corbyn refuses to blame Assad for chemical attack in #Syria https://dailym.ai/2GJjEyt via @MailOnline

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Byolante posted:

I mean feel free to lash yourself to the mast of the Good ship weidmann but the only place you are going is the bottom of the sea

what?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Byolante posted:

So you think ceding sovereignty to a bunch of unelected technocrats who think faust is a foundational work on economics is actually going to benefit anyone at all?

Tony Benn was right then and Corbyn is right now.

dunno. do you think you might ever stop beating your wife?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Many English people did not vote for Brexit. Many Scottish and Northern Irish people did.

Brexit is a land of contrasts

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

time to burn your old generation terrorists vinyl

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/apr/12/manic-street-preachers-jobs-meaning-jeremy-corbyn-doesnt-understand-that-resistance-is-useless

quote:

There is also a considerable amount of fretting about politics, which seems faintly surprising: given the band’s past political allegiances to Tony Benn and Arthur Scargill, I had assumed they would be quite gung-ho for Jeremy Corbyn, but apparently not. “I’m coming around to him a lot more, but not gung-ho, no,” says Bradfield. “I’m not one of those people that goes on about the liberal elite in London, but I don’t think he understands what makes the working classes tick outside of London and that is just hardcore industries. We’ve operated at our optimum as people when jobs give us meaning, and in the post-industrial hinterlands, he doesn’t understand that. I remember somebody at a meeting down in south Wales, an old guy, ex-miner, wanted his son to have a proper, real, blue-collar job, and he was saying: ‘What do you expect us to do, Mr Corbyn, make loving love spoons out of hemp?’ I don’t think Jezza gets it, I don’t think he connects with people on that level, which is part of the reason we’re having political problems in Wales.”

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Nah, you're alright mate. I'm quite capable of listening to people who make good music but have bad politics.

I'd even buy an album you put out Cerv, assuming it was actually good and you're a liberal for crying out loud.

jokes on you I have no musical talent. barely scraped by grade 4 piano

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You can tax richer people more to make up for it.
or just charge them full fare instead of reduced / free fares
seems like that'd be easier

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Love to emiserate the most vulnerable in society to cause minor inconvenience to consumers and do almost nothing for the environment.

plastic bag charge has been a huge success actually

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

That's good. Not sure it outweighs further destruction of the welfare state though. Guess if you're an anarchoprimitivist?

no one's actually an anarcho-primitivist

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

prefect posted:

Is she resigning from Parliament, or just from whatever her special government job is?

just from government

who do we think will get this poisoned chalice? has to be a Remainer to keep the balance in cabinet, so that leaves Sajid Javid?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

vodkat posted:

Well called. Although don't see who else she could have appointed at this stage lol
yeah should've put a bet at ladbrokes
£10 on the desperate process of elimination

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

It's also not true unless Jews somehow don't count as a minority in the UK?

no one ever counts Disraeli as really jewish. it's weird, but he did try himself to write that bit out of the family history

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

the left don't want to reverse it because it's politically fraught and would rather spend political capital on improving stuff rather than fighting tooth and nail to get back to the status quo. Things were plenty jacked up even when we were in the EU, I would be perfectly happy with Brexit if we get a customs union deal.
yeah but not making things massively worse than the status quo might be a good first step to improving on that

like nobody's saying cancel brexit then stop there politics is done.
except maybe tim farron I guess

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jose posted:

dyson has been pretty open that he's hoping brexit destroys workers rights because its the only way british business will be as productive as german
by 'german' you mean the third world countries where dyson have their factories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

monkeytennis posted:

Tbf to Harry and Meg they didn’t invite any heads of state
except gran