Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Frog Act posted:

why can't the english speaking world process these yellow vest protests in any sane language? its because capitalism in the anglosphere is even more deranged than in continental europe somehow

English people massively misunderstanding something the French are doing is really not very surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's also easier to keep using English than to try to decide which language should replace it. That it's not the official language of most EU countries actually makes English more attractive.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

steinrokkan posted:

This prequel to 28 Days Later is too bleak and far-fetched to be a salient satire of current society.

It's a prequel to Children of Men, get it right.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

https://twitter.com/jameserothwell/status/1092850824986927104?s=21

brexiting so hard that govt ministers literally can’t step foot in Calais

Fitting for a Brexiteer to lose freedom of movement ahead of March 29.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Robespierre was shot but yes

Not fatally. He was guillotined a few hours later.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Randler posted:

I wanted to make a joke about no Tory being part of the welfare committee, but apparently y'all call it the "Committee of Public Safety" in English. :smith:

Describing Rees-Mogg as being in favor of a Republic of Virtue is pretty :raise: as it is

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

tarbrush posted:

I think the entire party hates him from the way he got the job, and he seems happy playing toy soldiers and loving things up

He's right on track to become the next Winston Churchill, then.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Predicting that Umunna will be crucified seems ballsy.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I hate to generalize, but literally every Frenchman I've ever met would respond to this by flipping the double-bird and laughing until they passed out.

I can confirm this.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

An insane mind posted:

I'm pretty sure he put his all in loving that pig's head.

It's possible he went in half-cocked.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

An insane mind posted:

I hope the EU laughs directly into her face.

The EU is happy to leave the mockery to the member states:

France's Europe Minister 'names cat Brexit because he is reluctant to leave'

quote:

Natalie Loiseau, Minister for European Affairs in Emmanuel Macron's government wrote on her private Facebook page that she had named her pet Brexit, according to the Journal du Dimanche newspaper.

According to the report in the JDD, Loiseau explained that she had named the animal Brexit because: "he wakes me up every morning miaowing to death because he wants to go out, and then when I open the door he stays in the middle, undecided, and then gives me evil looks when I put him out."

:iceburn:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Kurtofan posted:

French journalists are melting down on twitter over being called racist after the christchurch shootings

No but you see, they're merely explaining the ~legitimate concerns~ of the people talking about things like the "great replacement" conspiracy theory or "remigrating" (:hitler:) people of non-european descent.

The language barrier really saves France from a lot of scrutiny.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Samovar posted:

Any good summaries?

On the same day as the Christchurch massacre, one TV channel invited known racist shithead Robert Ménard to a debate about it. Some choice quotes from Wikipedia to show you who he is:

quote:

In May 2015, Ménard violated French law by attempting to record the religion of schoolchildren in his city, claiming that 64.9% were Muslim, based on their first names. In September, he visited a refugee complex to tell them that they were not welcome in France, and two months later he declared that no more kebab restaurants would open in Béziers.

[...]

Ménard has promoted and supported The Great Replacement conspiracy theory. Speaking of the demographics of school children in France, La Croixcovered his statement that in one classroom at a school near his home 91% of pupils were "Muslim children", claiming that "obviously it's a problem".Ménard declared that it was "proof of the Great Replacement in progress" in France.

Spoiler: he spouted more racist poo poo. On the same loving day

Edit: Since then we've essentially had several people provide the articulate and nuanced equivalent of the poo poo Fraser Anning said last Friday. With a dash of denial about the references to French racists by the terrorist.

As I saw someone say on Twitter, those racists have tiny audiences. They write books barely anyone buys. But they're consistently being given platforms on several TV and radio channels, as well as in the written press to a lesser extent.

Kassad has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Mar 18, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

hobbesmaster posted:

How can you hate kebab restaurants.

He was born in Algeria and his family was kicked out when it became independent. He's probably always hated North Africans but was too smart to show it until he saw that it was becoming acceptable.

Edit: More broadly acceptable, I should have said. It's always been acceptable although there was a slight decline in the 1980s and 1990s.

Kassad has issued a correction as of 16:31 on Mar 18, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

euphronius posted:

so uh what is Parliaments plan for global warming considering most of England will be underwater in 20 years or so.

Brexit 2.0 : lifting up the whole island of Britain into space.

It'll be delayed endlessly by the DUP's insistence that Northern Ireland be taken along.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Hummus.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
T-trap sprung?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Chokes McGee posted:

imagine 50 years from now, when the history books talk about how embarrassing an era this was and how america elected a brain damaged tv star criminal to the highest office of the land, it will be followed by "at the same time, in England,"

Otoh, Reagan and Thatcher.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
^^^ Why not both?

History repeats itself as farce and so on

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually who pronounces Brexit with a voiced x sound?

Wait, you don't? How do you pronounce it then?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Bloris Jobnson

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
UK's Johnson warns EU against any 'Napoleonic' tariffs in no-deal Brexit

quote:

"I think it would be very bizarre if the EU should decide on their own... if they decided to impose tariffs on goods coming from the UK it would be... a return to Napoleon’s continental system," Johnson told LBC radio on Tuesday.

:shepface:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Bedshaped posted:

We can probably make a prediction on who will be the prime minister in 7 years if we just look at who is currently the biggest and most publically visible moron in daily life.

Oh poo poo it's still Boris.

In the grim darkness of Brexit, there is only BoJo.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

redleader posted:

brexit
means
pain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBMiyEzOJmI&t=264s

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Jose posted:

under Corbyn it's sinister

Wiktionary posted:

From Middle English sinistre (“unlucky”), from Old French sinistra (“left”), from Latin sinestra (“left hand”).

Checks out.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Unless your name is Jeremy Corbyn, of course.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Too long.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

poty posted:

remember 2 years ago when macron was literally getting elected after camapaigning for the idea of an eu army?

I remember Macron being elected on the principle of "vote for the crook neoliberal, not the fascist".

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Hedgehogs are now banned in the UK.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Relevant Tangent posted:

bottling people up where they live is excellent counter-insurgency policy

Not if London does a repeat of the Paris Commune.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Avirosb posted:

I thought monarchies existed to draw tourists from non monarchy having countries.

France is the most visited country on the planet.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
But they're very durable, one batch can last you for a few centuries.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Wait, so Blair is pushing for Brexit (since BoJo is effectively attaching a collapse of the government/new election to Brexit)?

Are you surprised that he'd prefer a no-deal Brexit to Corbyn becoming prime minister?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Like, I guess me means the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople, right?

He probably means the initial wave of conquest by Muslims that led to the creation of the first califate. Before that, the Byzantine empire still controlled the Middle East, Egypt and North Africa. After, they never controlled anything east of modern-day Turkey or south of the Mediterranean.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
^^^ True diversity is being able to differentiate between 50 shades of white people

Squizzle posted:

maybe it sounds anodyne in french or w/e language

Nope.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

prague has been transformed into a brothel for drunk british men

Well, that's one thing Brexit would fix.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Oh so that's where the magic hat in Harry Potter comes from

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
What the gently caress is going on

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
And of course a piglet would be a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
And whoever wins, we lose.