Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
DrVenkman
Dec 27, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

The entire thing has leaked. The Vault disc is SOOOOOOO good. Love & Sex (which opens with the same stinger that was used for Possessed[?] live), Katrina's Paper Dolls, We Can gently caress, Electric Intercourse are probably my favorites but there isn't a dud on that disc.

The remaster of the original album isn't bad and the audio with the concert video is on point.

But if you listen to the idiots at the Org, Purple Rain is brickwalled, Vault disc is meh, singles disc is flawed and the DVD is a bootleg VHS rip

To be fair, going by waveforms at least, that remaster is pretty brickwalled. Obviously, it's going to depend on the listener, but I've never felt like the original master sounded all that bad anyway. Oh and I think the other version of 'The Dance Electric' is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I picked up a seashell to illustrate my homelessness.
But a crab crawled out of it, making it useless.

The Prince org users are complete wankers. If they have a bootleg of something that apparently means that an official version missing 20 years of tape hiss is worthless.

The vault stuff is really good. 'Love and Sex' is fantastic. And the remastering has removed some of the mud that was on the original version, you can definitely hear a little more detail in particular areas.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The ridiculously long version of Computer Blue should have been on the original album.

DrVenkman
Dec 27, 2005

Actually, I don't see how anyone can listen to the end of 'Let's Go Crazy' and not think it sounds loving dreadful.

'Take Me With You' sounds great though and the rest of the album is fine. It's kind of just inconsequential.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Man, I wish the source for the DVD was higher quality. This is definitely better than the VHS and laserdisc rips I've seen around, and it sounds great, but it looks real rough.

DrVenkman
Dec 27, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

Man, I wish the source for the DVD was higher quality. This is definitely better than the VHS and laserdisc rips I've seen around, and it sounds great, but it looks real rough.

Yeah I think it's just going to depend on how it was filmed. The rumour was that it was shot on video so it's about as good as it's going to look.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I picked up a seashell to illustrate my homelessness.
But a crab crawled out of it, making it useless.

Checked a few places today and they were completely out of the Purple Rain expanded edition or the vinyl. Only the standard 2CD set and picture disc were left. Either this thing is more popular than I expected it to be, or Warners were real stingy with stock.

According to one store they're expecting 12 more copies of the CD+DVD set on Wednesday. Guess I'm waiting.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah I think it's just going to depend on how it was filmed. The rumour was that it was shot on video so it's about as good as it's going to look.

Oh yeah this is definitely video not film. It's got all the color bleeding you would expect from tape. It's a shame they cheaped out then and it's suffering for it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

They say I'm a madman...
But I'm not mad
at anybody

Honest, I'm not.

The only Prince shows I know that were filmed on actual film is the footage from The Second Coming (5 camera shoot in 16mm - which Prince bought back from the original director) and Sign 'O' The Times (which was filmed at Paisley Park after the real concert footage turned out to be unusable - also 16mm except for the U Got The Look portion)

But the cool thing is that he taped the majority of his shows so there (should be) an insane amount of live footage in the vault.

«2 »