Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I was reading this article: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/09/im-like-a-secret-assassin-poo-bear-on-writing-for-justin-bieber-skrillex-and-sam-smith

I saw this quote:

quote:

Its influence is inescapable now; in February 2015, when it was released by Jack Ü “with Justin Bieber”, it was utterly new. “It literally changed music,” says Bear. “It took a while, but it ended up catching on. It was played, oh my God, so much on the radio.”

Where R Ü Now paved the way for What Do You Mean?, the lead single off Purpose and co-written by Bieber, Poo Bear and just one other. It was an immediate hit – the first number-one of Bieber’s half-decade career – and introduced to the charts the Caribbean-influenced tropical house sound now so ubiquitous, even Ed Sheeran has dabbled in it. (“It’s like, ‘out of all the people, I would have thought you would be somebody to do something different,” says Bear, slightly accusatorially.)

And I wondered, how did it influence other songs? How would I even recognize that? For example, how would I recognize if "Ed Sheeran has dabbled in it"? What makes one genre distinct from other genres?

My knowledge of music is that I know what a beat is and I'm 90% sure I can recognize a "melody", even though I don't understand what a melody is. Is that all I need to fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread