Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

quote:

Doug Evans, the company’s founder, would compare himself with Steve Jobs in his pursuit of juicing perfection. He declared that his juice press wields four tons of force—“enough to lift two Teslas,” he said. Google’s venture capital arm and other backers poured about $120 million into the startup. Juicero sells the machine for $400, plus the cost of individual juice packs delivered weekly. Tech blogs have dubbed it a “Keurig for juice.”

But after the product hit the market, some investors were surprised to discover a much cheaper alternative: You can squeeze the Juicero bags with your bare hands. Two backers said the final device was bulkier than what was originally pitched and that they were puzzled to find that customers could achieve similar results without it. Bloomberg performed its own press test, pitting a Juicero machine against a reporter’s grip. The experiment found that squeezing the bag yields nearly the same amount of juice just as quickly—and in some cases, faster—than using the device.'

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-04-19/silicon-valley-s-400-juicer-may-be-feeling-the-squeeze

I can't wait to put this next to my Keurig and my Keurig Kold in my condo on seastead island. Hopefully I can pay for the Juicero in Bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

so it is squeezing juice out of a prejuiced bag? I am not sure they understand what a juicer is supposed to do.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

donkey salami posted:

so it is squeezing juice out of a prejuiced bag? I am not sure they understand what a juicer is supposed to do.

It's supposed to sucker venture capital out of investors.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Why do people hate themselves enough to self harm with such a poo poo juice machine?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

donkey salami posted:

You don't understand, it is disrupting the juicing industry.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

donkey salami posted:

what, am I supposed to extract my own juice from the juice container, like some kind of peasant?

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Surprised to see no mention of the stupider thing... it's a juicer that cost $120 million to develop and you can't even put your own stuff in it... you have to use the company's own "packs". People funded that?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

So in other words they are delivering normal juice to your house every week and the bag and squeeze machine are completely pointless and probably hiding the fact that you are overplaying for your juice!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

donkey salami posted:

Maybe there's fresh fruit in the bag or something?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I'll wait for the Chinese knockoff, thanks

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Why is this better than just buying a jug of juice?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I get all my juice from decentralized anonymous loose fruit and veggies. Down with fiat juice!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I'll wait for the Chinese knockoff, thanks
good news - this thing is absolutely made in china by slave labor, and still $400

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dr Cheeto posted:

QR codes.

iot will read the cool QR codes to make sure it's not recall or expired for ur safety and protect goony retards

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr Cheeto posted:

This way you can create more garbage and also have something to talk about at your next cocktail party when you look into your friend's dead eyes and realize none of you have lived a day in your life

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

TenementFunster posted:

good news - this thing is absolutely made in china by slave labor, and still $400

Maybe I can get the factory to send over a technician to squeeze the juice out of the bag for me, sounds like that's all the rage

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
LMAO end stage capitalism sure is loving stupid.

I bet you can control that juicer from an app.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i just eat whole fruits and then regurgitate the non-juice parts

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The machine is evidently very slow compared to even regular juicing + cleanup if you intend to have more than one glass of juice.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

Juicero declined to comment. A person close to the company said Juicero is aware the packs can be squeezed by hand but that most people would prefer to use the machine because the process is more consistent and less messy. The device also reads a QR code printed on the back of each produce pack and checks the source against an online database to ensure the contents haven’t expired or been recalled, the person said. The expiration date is also printed on the pack.

Evans, 50, follows a diet of mostly raw, vegan foods. Technology was a new thing for him, but he picked it up quickly. He said he spent about three years building a dozen prototypes before devising Juicero’s patent-pending press. In an interview with technology website Recode, he likened his work to the invention of a mainstream personal computer by Apple’s Jobs. “There are 400 custom parts in here,” Evans told Recode. “There’s a scanner; there’s a microprocessor; there’s a wireless chip, wireless antenna.”

Three years in development, 400 custom parts, a wireless chip and antenna and a QR scanner to squeeze a bag of pre-juiced juice into a cup.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

EvilJoven posted:

LMAO end stage capitalism sure is loving stupid.

I bet you can control that juicer from an app.

Naw, for every piece of poo poo like this there's million of other products to fill every niche of your existence, it's actually impressive

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I bet that stupid loving pouch is also not recyclable, contains DRM technology, and costs like four times as much as even the most healthy juice you can buy in a carton at the store like a normal person.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Naw, for every piece of poo poo like this there's million of other products to fill every niche of your existence, it's actually impressive

People are gadgeting their way into an existence akin to the fatass future people from WallE and this is not a good thing.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

I bet that stupid loving pouch is also not recyclable, contains DRM technology, and costs like four times as much as even the most healthy juice you can buy in a carton at the store like a normal person.

Yes to all

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have a Breville juicer and use it to juice stuff I didn't get around to eating in time. I thought it was absurd to do, and a symbol of my decadence. Little did I know.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

People are gadgeting their way into an existence akin to the fatass future people from WallE and this is not a good thing.

The gadgets dont actually support this, all we needed for that was tv and hungry man, the gadgets are pointless nothings on the way to nowhere

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I like that a bunch of rich people wasted a lot of money on this stupid thing

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

shovelbum posted:

The gadgets dont actually support this, all we needed for that was tv and hungry man, the gadgets are pointless nothings on the way to nowhere

to preserve our glorious civilization we must move as much metal and hydrocarbons as possible from the ground to the landfill

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Trigger warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1oHp-VvhDE

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
The F-35 of juicers

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm the fat guy in the v-neck

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I cant wait for the bubble to pop in the middle of the dystopia going on right now.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

No wonder everyone's a loving sadbrains, we're so caught up in our capitalist disposable convenience society that people actually want this loving stupid thing.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

:capitalism:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

So it seems like they suggest in this commercial the bag is full of produce rather than juice, are they just flagrantly lying then?

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Personally, I can't wait to find out what kind of nice things the history books will say about us.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Seriously this loving thing makes me want to set fire to all my poo poo and go find one of those lost Amazon tribes and beg them to not eat me and instead let me live with them because they live in the past and the present is complete loving crap.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maldoror posted:

Surprised to see no mention of the stupider thing... it's a juicer that cost $120 million to develop and you can't even put your own stuff in it... you have to use the company's own "packs". People funded that?

yeah, they were hoping to sell expensive gadgets tied to expensive juice bags to suckers. with any scam, there's two kinds of people involved - the suckers who lose money, and the people who hope to take the sucker's money

quote:

Evans, 50, follows a diet of mostly raw, vegan foods. Technology was a new thing for him, but he picked it up quickly. He said he spent about three years building a dozen prototypes before devising Juicero’s patent-pending press. In an interview with technology website Recode, he likened his work to the invention of a mainstream personal computer by Apple’s Jobs. “There are 400 custom parts in here,” Evans told Recode. “There’s a scanner; there’s a microprocessor; there’s a wireless chip, wireless antenna.”

In fundraising meetings, Evans promised a revolutionary machine capable of squeezing large chunks of fruits and vegetables, said two people who agreed to invest in the company. Evans secured funding in 2014 by showing 3D-printed renderings of the product without a working prototype, said the people, who asked not to be identified because they signed nondisclosure agreements.

Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers joined Alphabet Inc. and others in funding Juicero. Evans’s subscription model had hit on a sweet spot for venture capitalists, said Brian Frank, who invests in food-tech companies through his FTW Ventures fund. The successes of Nespresso and Dollar Shave Club have made VCs eager to chase such deals, he said. “Investors are very intrigued by businesses that combine the one-time sale of hardware that ends up leading to repeat purchases of consumable packages,” said Frank, who doesn’t own Juicero shares.

But after the product’s introduction last year, at least two Juicero investors were taken aback after finding the packs could be squeezed by hand. They also said the machine was much bigger than what Evans had proposed. One of the investors said they were frustrated with how the company didn’t deliver on the original pitch and that their venture firm wouldn’t have met with Evans if he were hawking bags of juice that didn’t require high-priced hardware. Juicero didn’t broadly disclose to investors or employees that packs can be hand squeezed, said four people with knowledge of the matter.

this is basically just a high tech flashy version of things you see on loud dumb commercials that cost two easy payments of 19.95, it's an impulse buy for gullible people who get roped into a lifestyle

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 19, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Burn silicon valley to the ground and hang all the bankers and vc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I had a keurig bc it was lying around or i got it for free, and when i ran out of the cups i inheirted or whatever i got a little coffee filter for it and then i got sick of making 1 cup at a time and i got a $20 coffee pot and its way better and has a timer thats my disposable pod story

• Locked thread