Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

Uh uh, who the gently caress is it for then mate. What kind of staggering inability to understand words does someone have to have in order to decouple the title's implication from this statement.

They're sincere MRA types that are all about "equality". In their mind the sub is all about shining a light on injustice as it pertains to white men (child custody law, false rape allegations, etc). They just aren't self-aware enough to realize how much misogyny they're projecting with terms like "pussy pass". It's a misguided echo chamber borne out of sexual frustration, but one that genuinely thinks they're trying to bring positive change to the world.

Enter the rest of the alt-right (nazis, trolls pretending to be nazis, and 17 year-old versions of your racist relative who watches too much Fox News). There's no pretense of justice with them. They just come in spouting pure unadulterated hate, and this culture clash leads to a disclaimer that this isn't 4-chan, this place is only for discussion of women who "had it coming".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Crain posted:

No. There are better sources for cute animal pictures.

I've since sworn off reddit (the open Nazi Subs post election is what finally did it), and my friends keep saying stuff like that. "Just ignore the lovely subs and stick with the fun ones". And to me that's like saying "sure I hate the KKK, but the local chapter has a mean pancake breakfast".

i guess you haven't read gbs lately

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

little munchkin posted:

i guess you haven't read gbs lately

No I haven't.

Let me have my ignorant hypocrisy.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

little munchkin posted:

They're sincere MRA types that are all about "equality". In their mind the sub is all about shining a light on injustice as it pertains to white men (child custody law, false rape allegations, etc). They just aren't self-aware enough to realize how much misogyny they're projecting with terms like "pussy pass". It's a misguided echo chamber borne out of sexual frustration, but one that genuinely thinks they're trying to bring positive change to the world.

Enter the rest of the alt-right (nazis, trolls pretending to be nazis, and 17 year-old versions of your racist relative who watches too much Fox News). There's no pretense of justice with them. They just come in spouting pure unadulterated hate, and this culture clash leads to a disclaimer that this isn't 4-chan, this place is only for discussion of women who "had it coming".

So, "I'm not a misogynist, I just correctly hate women"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

I mean, say what you want about the tenets of Men's Rights Advocacy, Dude, at least it's an ethos.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Stab posted:

yeah, compartmentalization.txt

this is the same thing that happens when people say "i'm not a racist, but the blacks need to get jobs" because in their minds they're expressing a commonsense truth and they're not a raving klansman so how can you be racist for speaking the truth?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

boner confessor posted:

yeah, compartmentalization.txt

this is the same thing that happens when people say "i'm not a racist, but the blacks need to get jobs" because in their minds they're expressing a commonsense truth and they're not a raving klansman so how can you be racist for speaking the truth?

Saying that is one thing but then doing it in the same space where you share videos of black people being assaulted is another.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Phillip DeFranco finally announced his news network he's been hinting at for like a year now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7frDFkW05k

Those jump cuts are... not good for a news show. Great for an opinion show, which is what he's been this whole time, but I don't think a lot of his fans realize he runs an opinion show that talks about news stories like every other pundit.

Also, super late but:

Crain posted:

A surprisingly interesting look at this "adpocolypse" from SA's favorite son:

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/h3h3-productions-and-the-state-of-youtube-advertising

This was nice. I didn't really know anything about how google runs advertisements, and he somehow stumbles into doing a pretty decent job of explaining it. It really is surprising how TB can be good if he actually knows anything about what he's talking about instead of spouting off dumb talking points on SA to show how smart he is.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 2, 2017

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Symbolic Butt posted:

carl of akkad is bickering with shaun over some super petty poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhys4voMC40

His entire assumption for her being from a rich background that invalidates her experience as a social worker is that the area she grew up has expensive houses today? :psyduck:

Sargon is as sharp as a brick.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

carl of akkad is bickering with shaun over some super petty poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhys4voMC40

To be honest, Shaun almost makes me happy that Sargon does videos. Almost.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Visidan posted:

Nah, they can def have someone pull these popular channels down before it starts being reported on news agencies around the world. Daddy O Five for example has been known to abuse their kids for ad revenue for months on various reddit and youtube communities, posts about it even hit front page of reddit over 5 months ago.

Obviously they can't check every single video uploaded a day but I really do think they could hire someone to check out a channel when it has nearly a million subscribers, gets 3 million views a video and receives thousands of child abuse flags a day. Hell the video from Jan this year that caused a stink had the father push the 7 year old into a book shelf as well as the screaming.

It seems the only reports that ever get acted upon are copyright claims, wonder why that is.
Going way back to this, they just lost custody of two of the kids, including the one who caught the brunt of the "pranks"
[quote="
http://www.scarymommy.com/daddyofive-loses-custody-of-two-children/"]They’ve recently changed their tune, as the mother of Mike’s children has come forward requesting custody of the children. According to The Independent, Rose Hall has obtained emergency custody of her two children. “They’re doing good,” Hall says on a video where she appears with her lawyer. “They’re getting back to their playful selves.”[/quote]

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Crain posted:

No. There are better sources for cute animal pictures.

I've since sworn off reddit (the open Nazi Subs post election is what finally did it), and my friends keep saying stuff like that. "Just ignore the lovely subs and stick with the fun ones". And to me that's like saying "sure I hate the KKK, but the local chapter has a mean pancake breakfast".

The problem with reddit is that shutting down problem subreddits is like cutting the heads of a hydra. When you ban one, more will take their place, usually by alt-righters taking over other subreddits or going on voat. Besides, you don't need much to create a subreddit anyway.

Who What Now posted:

Burn Reddit to the loving ground and salt the ashes.

I like r/aww.:shrug:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Carecat posted:

His entire assumption for her being from a rich background that invalidates her experience as a social worker is that the area she grew up has expensive houses today? :psyduck:

also

https://twitter.com/PoppyNoor/status/859495940130054144

lfield
May 10, 2008

Carecat posted:

The journalist these two are talking about just tweeted at Sargon confirming she did grow up in council housing & corrected him on a bunch of other things.

e: beaten! ^

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Forceholy posted:

The problem with reddit is that shutting down problem subreddits is like cutting the heads of a hydra. When you ban one, more will take their place, usually by alt-righters taking over other subreddits or going on voat. Besides, you don't need much to create a subreddit anyway.

At least when you corral them into the open, it's a lot easier for the FBI to find them (I hope). Like YouTube keeping ISIL videos up.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

mojo1701a posted:

At least when you corral them into the open, it's a lot easier for the FBI to find them (I hope). Like YouTube keeping ISIL videos up.

Only if the Reddit brass gave a gently caress. There are anti-hate subreddits that have been calling for the prosecution and prohibition on hate speech on Reddit for ages and they are met with silence from the administration. I don't care how many tennis players the founders marry; Their silence is advocacy for these groups.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Carecat posted:

I think it`s sad that he left high school because of bullies, but man he really needs some education.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking at how he is today they might have had the right idea tbh.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

He's never going to acknowledge this tweet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Weirdo posted:

he left high school because of bullies

lol this explains so much.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Weirdo posted:

I think it`s sad that he left high school because of bullies

what ??? !!!

so did the guy who insists universities are hub of cultural marxist brainwashing never even graduate from high school or what the british equivalent is?????

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 2, 2017

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Forceholy posted:

That's only really a problem when you also take a very lax site wide moderating stance and have no controls over who can make new subforums, accounts, and for selecting mods for those forums.

Which it should be of no surprise reddit also does.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
reddit was founded on a philosophy of radical free speech. turns out that platforms like reddit, twitter etc. that use this as a basis for their moderation policy generate controversy and are difficult to monetize

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

what ??? !!!

so did the guy who insists universities are hub of cultural marxist brainwashing never even graduate from high school or what the british equivalent is?????

Secondary school is mandatory in the UK so unless he didn't go to 6th form or something I dunno how that works.

You can leave compulsory education at 16.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

boner confessor posted:

what ??? !!!

From what I heard he finished Secondary Education, but either didn't take or didn't earn any GCSE's, the ending qualifications at that level.

Combine that with his sister apparently having some serious academic credentials and you get a picture of where Carl's seething hatred of academia stems from.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jesus if he has no GCSEs he's got to be almost totally unemployable and completely ineligible for any further education without doing remedial courses.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

lol jokes huh

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

OwlFancier posted:

Jesus if he has no GCSEs he's got to be almost totally unemployable and completely ineligible for any further education without doing remedial courses.

At least it explains why he can't watch more than 5 minutes of a video or read more than the first paragraph of an article.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol so sargon is an uneducated no job dude with kids?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
His kids' teachers are gonna hate parent-teacher night.

OwlFancier posted:

I think an analogy education-wise for us yanks is basic high school without senior year or any form of SATs, or for canucks, highschool without grade 12.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like, 5 GCSEs at grade C or above is basically the absolute minimum for any job I've ever seen advertised.

Jesus it makes his attitude towards proper debate easier to contextualize, I did go to uni and I still wouldn't dare do an actual debate with an academic...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SSNeoman posted:

lol jokes huh

It's just a prank brah

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Solenna posted:

Going way back to this, they just lost custody of two of the kids, including the one who caught the brunt of the "pranks"

"ScaryMommy Article posted:

“Hall, who lives in North Carolina and had custody of Emma and Cody until 2014, alleges that the children were taken from her illegally and unfairly, and that the Martins forged paperwork from her granting them permanent custody, and used intimidation tactics in the ensuing custody battle,” reports New York Magazine.

What the gently caress!? They stole the kids, moved out of state, and then started their child abuse channel? This poo poo just goes deeper and deeper. I'm beginning to bet that the videos have been deleted in a stupid attempt to destroy evidence. I'd be surprised if the summer ends without these people being indicted.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Sargon is infuriating to watch; I immensely appreciate Sean and Hbomberguy taking the time to filter his stuff through calm debunking and comedy mockery respectively.

His points are completely contradictory and he's known for saying something dumb/racist, getting called on it then directly denying he said it. I haven't watched the Kristi Winters debate yet, but I did subject myself to the torturous "debate" he did with Destiny in the aftermath of JonTron's meltdown. He blames the complex issues plaguing Black America solely on fatherless households and posited that the government should intervene somehow to encourage fathers staying with their families (which isn't a bad idea in itself). Later, when Destiny was defending free trade and globalisation with the argument that the bad effects can be offset with government intervention to redistribute the gains of globalisation and aid and retrain those who lose out, Sargon said he didn't want it cos he didn't believe the government should interfere with the free market or whatever.

Not to mention his ability to complain that the left have no perspective and whine about inconsequential stuff while moaning about feminist infiltration into Magic: The Gathering.

Anyway, I'm disappointed that TL;DR didn't make the OP as he's basically Sargon, but with 10x the smug. Sargon has some small amount of charisma I suppose; I genuinely don't get how anyone can listen to TL;DR. even when I was a listener and agreed with Sargon's brand of politics, I never managed to sit through a TL;DR video without wanting to punch something.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
In the aughts, my introduction to internet atheism was Aron Ra. Thunderf00t was also active at the time, but I never really liked his videos. They always seemed to drag on and he sounded super insufferable.

Aron was chill and did some nice educational videos. Though some of his stuff was specific to Texas, re: the terrible state of the education system there.
I don't watch his stuff that much anymore, and besides a video or two about male circumcision, he's been p consistent. Plus he looks like Satan, which is also hilarious.

Oh and I guess he was running for state senator in Texas.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

PiCroft posted:

Anyway, I'm disappointed that TL;DR didn't make the OP as he's basically Sargon, but with 10x the smug. Sargon has some small amount of charisma I suppose; I genuinely don't get how anyone can listen to TL;DR. even when I was a listener and agreed with Sargon's brand of politics, I never managed to sit through a TL;DR video without wanting to punch something.

tl;dr's voice is so loving awful, it's smugness personified.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

PiCroft posted:

Sargon is infuriating to watch; I immensely appreciate Sean and Hbomberguy taking the time to filter his stuff through calm debunking and comedy mockery respectively.

Yeah I can't really stand listening to Sargon either, because he just... talks. It's basically a load of crap that I'd rather be able to read. At least then I'd be able to take it piecemeal.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mewnie posted:

In the aughts, my introduction to internet atheism was Aron Ra. Thunderf00t was also active at the time, but I never really liked his videos. They always seemed to drag on and he sounded super insufferable.

Aron was chill and did some nice educational videos. Though some of his stuff was specific to Texas, re: the terrible state of the education system there.
I don't watch his stuff that much anymore, and besides a video or two about male circumcision, he's been p consistent. Plus he looks like Satan, which is also hilarious.

Oh and I guess he was running for state senator in Texas.

AronRa can definitely be a smug rear end in a top hat, but it's always (to my knowledge) to other smug assholes so he's probably one of the best YouTube atheists out there. Which, granted, isn't exactly a high honor.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Who What Now posted:

AronRa can definitely be a smug rear end in a top hat, but it's always (to my knowledge) to other smug assholes so he's probably one of the best YouTube atheists out there. Which, granted, isn't exactly a high honor.

Peter Hadfield (Potholer54) is fantastic, although his focus has turned mostly to climate change idiots than creation science idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

PiCroft posted:

His points are completely contradictory and he's known for saying something dumb/racist, getting called on it then directly denying he said it. I haven't watched the Kristi Winters debate yet, but I did subject myself to the torturous "debate" he did with Destiny in the aftermath of JonTron's meltdown. He blames the complex issues plaguing Black America solely on fatherless households and posited that the government should intervene somehow to encourage fathers staying with their families (which isn't a bad idea in itself). Later, when Destiny was defending free trade and globalisation with the argument that the bad effects can be offset with government intervention to redistribute the gains of globalisation and aid and retrain those who lose out, Sargon said he didn't want it cos he didn't believe the government should interfere with the free market or whatever.

Not to mention his ability to complain that the left have no perspective and whine about inconsequential stuff while moaning about feminist infiltration into Magic: The Gathering.

The problem with black fatherless households is entirely a racist creation of the US government

• Locked thread