Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carecat posted:

What's some entertaining critical videos apart from Hbomberguy?

ContraPoints is good. Shaun and Jen is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Carecat posted:

I like Joseph Anderson, he's done a lot of really long in depth videos and has a great knack for pointing out flaws in narratives and potential solutions.

Here's a video he did on The Witness, for an example of his style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZokQov_aH0

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They called the snake "Jared"

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I've really enjoyed all of Shaun and Jen's videos, maybe because he's by far the least huckstery and desperate-sounding of all these guys, left or right.

e: Why are almost all of them British?

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 7, 2017

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Also shaun and Jen are the ones who make Carl of Sad the most visibly angry and they chump him all the time which is a huge plus.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Carecat posted:

If you're looking for more "Actually thinking about video games" like Hbomb does, I like Noah Cadwell-Jervais, when I can get pastless than stellar mic quality and the occasional cough while recording.

They're longer videos usually but he's got some shorter ones talking about DLC. I recommend these as good starter ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaqqCbmhqVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kivtv6wabBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcDAjTBfcA

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It would be helpful if you defined what kind of videos you want, Carecat. Given the thread, I'm guessing it's not videogames, but do you prefer video responses to see the grossest far right YouTubers made fun of, or do you actually want argumentation and subject-focused essays?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carl is so sad to think about. He's just a fat old man with no education or future. What will he do when this gravy train is up?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

Carl is so sad to think about. He's just a fat old man with no education or future. What will he do when this gravy train is up?

Write books and sell them to even sadder humans.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It would be helpful if you defined what kind of videos you want, Carecat. Given the thread, I'm guessing it's not videogames, but do you prefer video responses to see the grossest far right YouTubers made fun of, or do you actually want argumentation and subject-focused essays?

Youtube intellectual mocking naturally. Maybe a little more in depth than Shaun and Jen but I don't really see the point of long form responses to people who can't grasp that having a McDonalds in Saudi Arabia might be a poor measurement of personal freedom. You could just play a fart sound effect to how poorly thought through some of these opinions are.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 7, 2017

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Does it ever dry up, though? Look at Savage, LaRouche, David Duke, Art Bell. All still going, just getting meaner and crazier.

These groups are fiercely loyal once they get a figurehead. Your greater visibility may wax or wane, but as long as you stay crazy and loud, there is a bottom floor of support and income you pretty much can't go below. Especially now that crowdfunding is a thing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Does it ever dry up, though? Look at Savage, LaRouche, David Duke, Art Bell. All still going, just getting meaner and crazier.

These groups are fiercely loyal once they get a figurehead. Your greater visibility may wax or wane, but as long as you stay crazy and loud, there is a bottom floor of support and income you pretty much can't go below. Especially now that crowdfunding is a thing.
Youtube celebrity is a little more fickle though. Sadgon probably will be on the dole in 10 years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Casimir Radon posted:

Sadgon probably will be on the dole in 10 years.
At which point he'll either realize that his philosophy was wrong or go deeper down the rabbit hole and blame working women and immigration for him not having a job.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sadgon has already screamed at feminists that they caused mass shootings and threatened to throw a woman out of a helicopter while calling all feminists cancer, so the most likely outcome for him is to commit some kind of mass murder at a feminist academic conference of some sort.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sephyr posted:

He's a lot more flash-in-the-pan than any of them, except maybe Jones. I can't see him organizing a rally or running for office, or really even going on tv. His persona almost requires that static image of the ruined mask that is of a king who isn't Sargon.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_iimH3XIQA

Carlgons butt is definitely hurt from the French election

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I thought TL;DR sounded smug but Kraut and Tea is even worse. Can't decide if the fact he named himself TL;DR is self aware seeing as the guy doesn't bother to read what they are quoting. I'm not sure which of these guys are self aware of their cherry picking or misrepresentation because a lot of their videos completely fall apart if they couldn't do either of these.

Carl or Thunderf00t strike me as true believers which is why they both struggle with their messaging. Carl is all over the place and attracting the far right he doesn't respect whereas Thunderf00t got totally sidetracked in Anita. In comparison someone like Shoe0nhead is obviously clickbait who probably agrees with some of it but is purely in it to manipulate the audience.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Carecat posted:

Youtube intellectual mocking naturally. Maybe a little more in depth than Shaun and Jen but I don't really see the point of long form responses to people who can't grasp that having a McDonalds in Saudi Arabia might be a poor measurement of personal freedom. You could just play a fart sound effect to how poorly thought through some of these opinions are.

Most progressive YouTubers seem to dedicate relatively little time to debunk InfoWars/skeptic garbage, but I think Thom Avella, Ranting Feminist and Garrett did some of that stuff in the past.

Shaun and Jen is still the best YouTube channel for the "This is why video Y is actually kind of dumb" sort of videos, because he's just familiar enough with that kind of internet culture and mode of irony to counterattack it in effective ways, plus he finds entertainment in doing so, while most YouTubers just do it because it's right.

Some people enjoy demotivatoropinion, but personally I find his videos to be loving terrible. There's nothing wrong with the arguments of what I've watched, but the delivery is all kinds of bad. Still might want to give him a try, though.

EDIT: I will fully admit that I'm surprised some of you have managed to watch full videos from people such as Sargon of Akkad and Paul Joseph Watson. The latter sounds like he's recording a dub for a Nazi propaganda documentary ALL THE TIME.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_iimH3XIQA

Carlgons butt is definitely hurt from the French election

lol eat poo poo you fat retard pedant from swindon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I've never made it to the end of a Sarg video and I can't imagine ever doing so.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Hes definitely a far leftist though, because he always says so. Even though he constantly lambasts the left and now openly supported a fascist over a centrist.

Jack Gladney posted:

I've never made it to the end of a Sarg video and I can't imagine ever doing so.
He spends like two hours reaching a point that can be shot down in seconds with even a basic level of reading in the subject that hes talking about. I couldn't even watch his debate with Kristi Winters because I actually felt embarrassed for him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Kristi Winters thing is good because about 15 minutes in she gets this confused look on her face as she realizes that she seriously prepared for a debate with an oaf who doesn't understand the subject of the debate. When he says that the social sciences are invalid and should be abandoned she stops for a moment and just stares at him, then accepts the new insane reality she's faced with and asks him why advertising works if social science is worthless.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

EDIT: I will fully admit that I'm surprised some of you have managed to watch full videos from people such as Sargon of Akkad and Paul Joseph Watson. The latter sounds like he's recording a dub for a Nazi propaganda documentary ALL THE TIME.

Paul is part of INFOWARS last time I checked.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Midig posted:

Paul is part of INFOWARS last time I checked.

Yeah, but at least his boss sounds entertaining. PJW is all the dangers and insanity that comes with Alex Jones with none of the unintentional amusing parts.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yeah, but at least his boss sounds entertaining. PJW is all the dangers and insanity that comes with Alex Jones with none of the unintentional amusing parts.

I dunno, a guy claiming to know things about the world when he never leaves his apartment is pretty amusing to me.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

The Kristi Winters thing is good because about 15 minutes in she gets this confused look on her face as she realizes that she seriously prepared for a debate with an oaf who doesn't understand the subject of the debate. When he says that the social sciences are invalid and should be abandoned she stops for a moment and just stares at him, then accepts the new insane reality she's faced with and asks him why advertising works if social science is worthless.

Thats basically the same with everyone who he debates with. The entire Destiny debate was Destiny (who's not exactly bright himself) trying and failing to understand Sargons moon logic.

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.

Archer666 posted:

Thats basically the same with everyone who he debates with. The entire Destiny debate was Destiny (who's not exactly bright himself) trying and failing to understand Sargons moon logic.

What's funny is every time some alt-right moron tries to introduce me to one of their masters of rhetoric and debate they link me to a video of him debating some dumb 18 year old college student who only discovered the concept of activism last semester. Not exactly a difficult battle to win. Apparently, no one ever told Carl of Swindon the "only debate people dumber, more ignorant, or crazier than you" rule.

...or he just can't find anyone to fit that bill.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

WampaLord posted:

I like Joseph Anderson, he's done a lot of really long in depth videos and has a great knack for pointing out flaws in narratives and potential solutions.
His videos are pretty long, but I like that he tries to be very specific in his argumentation about whatever game he's talking about. Even if I don't agree with his point, at the very least I understand how and why he came to a conclusion that he did.

It also helps that the guy doesn't seem needlessly antagonist, at least in the videos of his I saw.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Been listening to a lot of Shaun and Jen over the past week and I think the thing I appreciate most about him is when he shows a video or audio of some alt-right fuckhead flipping out about Anita Sarkeesian or whoever, growing increasingly louder and more screeching with their godawful ideas. Then a pleasingly monotone British voice comes in and says "Well, that's just wrong."

He's easy listening, basically.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm still not 100% familiar with the context, but how did this actually come about? I mean, I get that he might be stupid enough to think he can debate a Ph. D, but how does one convince an academic to debate a YouTube idiot?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

mojo1701a posted:

I'm still not 100% familiar with the context, but how did this actually come about? I mean, I get that he might be stupid enough to think he can debate a Ph. D, but how does one convince an academic to debate a YouTube idiot?

The same way that you convince anyone of anything- keep it vague and let their assumptions guide them. Sargon of Akkad has acquired a rep for being a thinker. It's completely unearned and he's unable to actually live up to it but he has that rep. Winters probably assumed that he would earn it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mojo1701a posted:

She does currently spend a lot of time wading through youtube poo poo as is, though I don't know if that's as a result of that debate or part of the reason she was willing to do it.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

mojo1701a posted:

The way I see it a lot of rationals are eager to debate people who oppose their arguments, at least initially. When a Anti-Anti-SJW (for a lack of a better term) decides to debate them it's probably because they keep hearing that these people want a debate and indulge them on a rare occasion. If enough time passes you can overestimate them. Think of it like meeting someone you used to hate who you have not seen for years. You think that they might be cool now until they remind you of why you used to hate them.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The combination of Teal Deer's voice and avatar drives me up a wall in a way I genuinely didn't know I had in me. Like inside of 20 seconds you want to loving throttle him and watch the life flicker out of that awful Dreamworks face.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh gross, he lives near my relatives :11tea:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Sargon did some kind of live stream to "investigate" Macron's leaked emails the night before the French election. I am feeling no small amount of satisfaction that his preferred (fash) candidate got owned.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PiCroft posted:

I am feeling no small amount of satisfaction that his preferred (fash) candidate got owned.
I would have thought he'd love Macron being as he used to define himself a classical liberal and therefore should be against regulation and welfare and all that.

Turns out when there's an actual classical liberal running against someone who's populist and pro welfare state but anti immigrant he drops all pretense.

mojo1701a posted:

I get that he might be stupid enough to think he can debate a Ph. D, but how does one convince an academic to debate a YouTube idiot?
I'd debate a Ph.D as long as it was on something outside their area of expertise, purely on the basis that any Ph.D who would agree to an internet debate outside their area of expertise is probably one who has spent so long looking at horizontal gene transfer in nematodes that they think they've got the one hottest take on 'why the West Africans are less intelligent' or 'bacterial causes of homosexuality' or some poo poo involving aliens.

On second thoughts I wouldn't, because that sounds like an exercise in futility as much as debating Carlgon.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
he was really, really fuckin full of himself to think he knew how to speak to french voters

"i know about the french revolution so why don't we force a bunch of french-language memes portraying macron as an aristocrat or as mary antoinette, that'll totally be accepted as authentic and grassroots by the french and not as foreign meddling by idiots"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Midig posted:

The way I see it a lot of rationals are eager to debate people who oppose their arguments, at least initially. When a Anti-Anti-SJW (for a lack of a better term) decides to debate them it's probably because they keep hearing that these people want a debate and indulge them on a rare occasion. If enough time passes you can overestimate them. Think of it like meeting someone you used to hate who you have not seen for years. You think that they might be cool now until they remind you of why you used to hate them.

See I figured that's why HE would do it (the whole "I'm a smarty-pants rational who's already come to my conclusions rationally therefore I'm inherently correct and can't be dissuaded"), but I figured she'd do it out of boredom or something.

OwlFancier posted:

She does currently spend a lot of time wading through youtube poo poo as is, though I don't know if that's as a result of that debate or part of the reason she was willing to do it.

Which is why this makes more sense, thanks!

Guavanaut posted:

I'd debate a Ph.D as long as it was on something outside their area of expertise, purely on the basis that any Ph.D who would agree to an internet debate outside their area of expertise is probably one who has spent so long looking at horizontal gene transfer in nematodes that they think they've got the one hottest take on 'why the West Africans are less intelligent' or 'bacterial causes of homosexuality' or some poo poo involving aliens.

On second thoughts I wouldn't, because that sounds like an exercise in futility as much as debating Carlgon.

Yeah I'd debate a Ph. D if it were like, "Who's a better captain, Kirk or Picard?" or something superfluous like that and not like, say, Bitcoiners trying to take down Paul Krugman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

PiCroft posted:

Sargon did some kind of live stream to "investigate" Macron's leaked emails the night before the French election. I am feeling no small amount of satisfaction that his preferred (fash) candidate got owned.
Can Sadgon even speak French? I wouldn't try to "investigate" their election if I couldn't.

• Locked thread