Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Yep, we're doing BC now.

Gorvald the Festering

The name is Death Guard humor, you see. To breed in the wound: new life springing from the old, the great cycle of Grandfather in a microcosm. But it also suggests quiet curdling, secretive suppuration, silent sepsis. That is to say, something that thrives on your indifference. And that is what I am.

But who would ignore a Plague Marine, you shriek through your mouthful of bile and blackened teeth? Why, everyone does. Ignorance is a matter of degrees. Each and every rotten Astartes is a promise. We lurk in the corners, we stride before your armies, we burn planets at your side. But you ignore the message we bear, and you do so to your own peril.You will die. We were once like you, incarnate gods, proud and beautiful. Now we are painful reminders of how far you will fall. We are the memento mori that walk like men. "Remember, O warlord," we whisper into your ears with breath like an open grave, "thou'rt mortal." And you all turn your heads away and pretend we were talking to someone else.

Even if you attain the Princedom you crave, you are not immortal. For one thing, as with ignorance, so too are life and immortality a matter of degrees. Can one be said to be truly immortal when your present self remains the plaything of an incomprehensible and unsympathetic being? Ascend all you like, but remember that you have the rest of time to offend your master and be cast into a hell far worse than any that await you now. Do you fancy powering the chosen weapon of the next fool to walk your path? You who raise your mighty daemon blades to the heavens: consider those swords, which were once as handsome and tall as you.

And let us assume, for the sake of argument, that you are indeed as perfect as you delude yourself to be. You will never fail your master, not now and certainly not once you have ascended. But you are still not immortal. The Warp is timeless. The galaxy is not. All life will die eventually, likely at our very hands. Restraint is not in our nature. Now, O prospective eternal Prince, ask yourself: what is a daemon but an emotion eater, a psychic predator? What is it but a vile leech that suckles on the heart of man? When all sentient life has at last been devoured by the greedy maw of entropy, there will be nothing left for you to eat. The Gods will starve. Some Nurglites are certain that new life will spring from the corpse of our universe and the cycle will spring anew. That is wishful thinking of the highest order. Why should it all begin again? Why not once, and never again? We will all die, forever, eventually. And then nothing else will remain. Accept it. Draw power from it. There is no firmer foundation to brace against than certain doom.

So why am I the Festering? Because I am ever-patient, ever-plotting, ever-rotting. I stand a quiet vigil while others strut and preen, and by the time they are forced to acknowledge me I've already cost them a limb. Lord Abaddon has demanded my presence on this mission to unify the Screaming Vortex. Curious, to send so few on a task so large. Perhaps I should be flattered that he has such faith in us, or angered to be cast into certain death. Instead, I am amused. It has been too long since I faced a real challenge. I must hone my skills if I am to survive. You see, I am not despairing or suicidal, far from it. I intend to be there when those last stars wink out in the firmament, if only for the novelty of being the one to close the universe's eyes and nail shut the casket. In that icy dark, I intend to deliver a eulogy to man and god alike: I told you so.

pre:
Name: Gorvald the Festering
Archetype: Plague Marine
Alignment: Nurgle
Pride: Foresight
Disgrace: Wrath
Motivation: Perfection

Characteristics:

WS:   45 (+10 +5 Motivation)
BS:   50 (+20)
S:    40 (+10)
T:    60 (+20 +10 Archetype)
Agi:  40 (+20 -10 Archetype)
Int:  50 (+20)
Per:  40 (+0 +5 Pride +5 Disgrace)
WP:   30 (+0 +5 Archetype -2 Disgrace -3 Motivation)
Fel:  20 (+0 -5 Pride -3 Motivation)

Wounds: 22 (-1 Motivation)
Infamy: 31 (+4 +7 Archetype)
IP: 3/3
CP: 15 (+15 Archetype)

Skills:

Athletics
Awareness +10
Common Lore (Screaming Vortex, War)
Dodge
Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Astartes, Daemonology, The Horus Heresy, The Long War)
Intimidate +10
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Navigate (Surface)
Operate (Surface)
Parry +10

Talents:

Ancient Warrior
Ambidextrous
Blind Fighting
Bolter Drill
Bulging Biceps
Deadeye Shot
Exotic Weapon Training (Plague Knife)
Fearless
Hardy
Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight)
Hip Shooting
Iron Jaw
Legion Weapon Training
Nerves of Steel
Quick Draw
Rapid Reload
Resistance (Heat, Cold, Poisons)
Unarmed Warrior

Traits/Mutations/Other:

Amphibious
Unnatural Strength (+4)
Unnatural Toughness (+4)

Abominable Physiology
Hideous Resilience
Infectious Miasma

Gear:

Legion Power Armour
--Devotional Iconography (Nurgle)
-Sustainable Power Source
-Auto-Senses
-Enhanced Ceramite Plating
Legion Bolter (2 Mags)
Bolt Pistol (4 Mags)
Plague Knife
Blight Grenades x3
Legion Combat Knife

Acquisitions:

Legion Combi-Bolter w/ Cursed Metal (-30 ER +10 Single +10 Cursed Metal)
GC Missile Launcher + 3 Krak Missiles (-10 R -10 GC +10 Single)
Eclipse Pulsator (-20 VR +10 Single)

XP Spent       3600/3600

Plague Marine-3600

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at Jan 13, 2018 around 01:06

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

I was hoping to get the below typed before any of you posted, but oh well:

It is the end of the 41st millennium, and Chaos is ascendant. Abbadon the Despoiler, chosen Warmaster of the Chaos gods has succeeded in his 13th black crusade in destroying Cadia. Without Cadia and her pylons to hold back the Eye of Terror, the Warp is spilling out into real space unchecked, consuming worlds once thought safe and putting other at the edge of the largest tear between universes known to exist. With Cadia finally gone and the Imperium on the defensive, Abbadon has launched his final assault on humanity. While the bulk of his forces race towards Terra, other offshoots of the crusade have begun pillaging other parts of real space.

However, all is not guaranteed for the Warmaster. The fighting at Cadia was very intensive; a large amount of the Warmaster's own forces had been ground to blood and dust in the fighting, millions more died when he crashed his blackstone fortress into the world. This leaves the Warmaster's forces dangerously under-powered, and while momentum is with them now, if the various crusade fleets start to encounter heavy resistance, the Imperium may win the war of attrition.

Not only that, but the forces of Chaos are facing new threats and alliances. The Necrons joined the fighting on Cadia, and the Imperium had enough intelligence to recognize that the enemy of my enemy is my friend in that case, and the Warmaster's forces are encountering the Necrons in greater numbers. The Eldar have created a new faction, and allegedly a new Eldar God is on the verge of being born.

All of that is compounded by the fact that Roboute Guilliman has awoken from his centuries long illness. Along with his new Pirmaris Marines, if things do not change for the Warmaster soon, his 13th Crusade will go down as his previous 12.

one of the weaknesses of the forces of Chaos is their fractured nature and constant infighting. When Abbadon put out the call for his Crusade, many Ruinous forces ignored the call, and still do. So to this end the Warmaster has sent out special teams to Chaos domains the galaxy over with one mission. Help these factions end their petty squabbles and get them to vow their forces to the warmaster. Many of them will be too powerful for these forces to directly defeat and control. Abbadon gave wide discretion to these teams. If a world has a dozen warring Chaos lords, unify them, or kill 11 of them and leave around the one that will bend the knee. Through either direct control or recruitment, Abbadon needs all the heed the call.

And so your team of venerable astartes has been sent to the Screaming Vortex, a Backwards hole on the edges of the Galaxy. Go to all the worlds. Secure power, secure loyalty, and you will be greatly rewarded.

Akheem the Wanderer

Akheem is what the Warmaster likes to call a reliable work horse. Akheem's service dates back to the Luna Wolves, and was one of the most loyal of the Chapter when Horus joined the dark gods. Since then he's been part of the core group of the Black Legion, having taken part in every one of Abadon's Black Crusades. Akheem is a warrior's warrior through and through, and has eschewed pursuing loftier goals and positions in the Black Legion so as to keep fighting on the front lines. he seems to shy away from leadership roles, only ever going as far as to lead a squad in combat. Akheem values tactical flexibility above all else. This is embodied in his equipment and war gear choices, keeping his gear balanced between ranged weapons and close combat gear as well.

Akheem has also proven to be an unshakable warrior. While not entirely without fear, he has been the last one standing in many a battle when his brothers have fled. He shares his Warmaster's goals of uniting all of Chaos, and he honors all the gods in his own way. He has always had issues with marines that totally devote themselves to one god over the other three, but will begrudgingly join them.

Akheem made it very clear that even though he was selected personally by Abbadon, he was in no way the leader of this team. He's only there to fight, and to at least be the token Black Legionnaire on a squad that is supposed to be securing favor for Abbadon. The optics would have looked bad if no one from the team was actually a full member of the Legion.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Hey Werix, could I downgrade from power armor to scout armor for maximum batman?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

professor_curly posted:

Hey Werix, could I downgrade from power armor to scout armor for maximum batman?

Power armor only makes it easier for bad guys to roll perception, and only by +10.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

wiegieman posted:

Power armor only makes it easier for bad guys to roll perception, and only by +10.

Power armor increases size by one. That makes all of you size 5 hulking. Which imposes a -10 penalty to stealth. Page 49 when explaining the different geneseed implants indicates that Black Carapace: "although a space marine in power armor has size (hulking) trait, his enemies gain no bonus to hit him." So black carapace essentially negates the +10 to hit from size.

professor_curly posted:

I will offer you want Waci once offered me. Your character can have Mark VI Corvus armor similar to the suit in Deathwatch: Rites of Battle. That suit grants you +10 agility, which will essentially negate the -10 to stealth, plus likely increase your AB by even more making you faster. However, the Corvus armor is lighter, and has AP7 instead of the Black Crusade 8 as it is lighter.

I assume since you were willing to take scout armor, being offered Corvus armor will suffice.

Also Two of us have winged and you're a raptor, so team air assault it is.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Unfortunately, I just realized that I have a late night class on Wednesdays now, so how attached are we to Wednesdays? If we could move this game to the same time on Tuesdays or Thursdays, that'd be a lot more convenient for me.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

As GM it doesn't make a difference, so long as it is during the work week. I typically don't have to work evenings, so I'm able to do it about any night, though I'd prefer Thursdays slightly. I guess it will depend on the other players.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If we move to Thursdays then I'll be late to the next one, because I literally start a new job that day.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Congratulations! I only slightly prefer Thursdays since you both know I tend to update my play by post games on Tuesdays, so the one week a month we do this I would prefer not to delay an update further.

We can most certainly do it Tuesday for this upcoming game though and maybe go to Thursdays from that point on?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Tuesday the 6th would work, but Tuesday the 30th would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Fandom is misery.

Thursday isn't great for me, personally.

«4 »