Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Tonight is the first Monday of the month, so that means game time tonight at 7 p.m. central time. You have one more fight against a mechanical monstrosity(ies) to prove yourselves to Forge Castir and their perfectionist warpsmiths.

As I said in the past, I want this game to be a more free form, player driven game. So between now and game time, look at pages 269-274 and try and think of the type of compact you all want to go for next, both in goal and in scope. I want you all thinking on this, because if we finish the last trial with time to spare, then I plan for us to call to convene. That way if we get the next compact hammered out, I can use it to prepare for next month. I am going to in general stick with the goal listed on page 268: if you reach 140 Infamy points then you will have gathered enough infamy for the Screaming Vortex to unite behind you.

If you all cannot think of anything to do, or if the group is unable to agree on a plan, I can always have some ideas ready. But in the meantime, go ahead and think on it.

See everyone in roughly 11 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Sorry for the short notice, but a personal emergency is keeping me away from the computer today and possibly tomorrow.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I'm sure we can think of a small Undertaking if we don't want to do something too big yet, but here's a bigger operation I came up with that'll have much greater rewards and risks:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operation: Gain the Undivided Loyalty of the Hollows

As Forge Castir has already demonstrated in our time in the fighting pits of Kurse, their technology is efficient and deadly, and would be a boon to Abaddon's forces. However, they are at war with their rival on the Hollows, Forge Pollux, and have been for over 6 centuries. Obtaining the loyalty of either or both forges will be impossible under these conditions, and the war will not end without outside intervention. The grudge between the Exospectre of Castir and Magos Onuris is such that we would have to replace at least one of them for both Forges to coexist. We will either tip the scales of this war in return for the loyalty of the surviving forge, or we will break both forges to our will. Either way, this will also give us a source of technological support for future missions.

Primary Objective:

-End the Eternal War of the Hollows and gain the loyalty of the surviving forge(s).

Secondary Objectives:

1. Ally ourselves with one of the forges (regardless of whether or not we intend to betray them later).

2. Sabotage the operations of the enemy Forge (or both, if we intend to replace the leaders of both with more "trustworthy" hereteks).

3. Investigate the possibility of gaining the loyalty of traitors in enemy ranks.

4. Destroy any enemy forces necessary to open up the routes for a final assault on the enemy.

5. Bring Forge Pollux to heel, or destroy it.

6. Bring Forge Castir to heel, or destroy it.

7. Take steps to ensure we have the long-term loyalty of the survivors; a daemonic pact, knowledge of their inner workings that will allow us to destroy them easily if they get out of line, etc.

Tertiary/Personal Objectives

Gorvald: Obtain and install a "Plague Claw" cybernetic, and locate and secure at least one Forge Pollux bioweapon, disease sample, engineered toxin, and/or the True Name of a Nurgle-aligned demon.

???

Complications

:iiam:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Uh...

After an in-depth consultation with a prospective ritual participant (as all responsible practitioners of the Dark Arts are wont to do.)

Contingent on GM Approval, our Night Lord now has Fear(2), is Medium sized, and has Unnatural Agility (+4).

I sure hope his armor shapeshifts with him.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
^^^^ Promising Chaos youth seduced by promises of EVIL SPACE EGYPT WIZARD, transformed into shrimpy Dark Eldar wannabe! Many such cases! :sad:

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
i'm batman.

Also I'm apparently the solidest motherfucker in the galaxy now.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Alright, it's a couple days until the game and I figured that I might as well write up our next compact so that we (and Werix) have an idea of what we're going for. Comment with your suggestions, ideas, objections, whatever.

Background:

Messia has two cities, one at each pole: Mekonta in the north and Zanok in the south. Permanent settlements only exist at the poles because the sun-side of Messia is basically one big Death Valley. The atmosphere is clouded with horrible pollutants and chemicals, which is the only reason the dayside is even survivable for properly clad humans. Regardless, bring breathing equipment if you lack an osmotic gill or the love of Papa Nurgle, and expect acid rain and sandstorms.

The planet has no axial tilt and it takes over a full Terran year to revolve once. This means the cities are constantly half-abandoned, with people constantly slowly migrating away from the half of the pole that's under neverending day. Both cities send out driller clans in giant archaeotech earthmovers, who brave the brutal heat of the dayside to drill for promethium so the people who live in eternal night at the poles don't freeze to death. These drillers must be accompanied by Mad Max hordes of bikers and cars to contend with the giant meandering groups of mutants who constantly circle the nonpolar regions, chasing the solar terminator. When they're on the dayside the mutants become skinny and clever, and when they cross into the nightside they become giant idiotic masses of muscle. Either way they hate everything that isn't them. Nobody knows where the mutants come from (let's be honest, it's Khorne).

Mekonta's a slaver society where the nobles keep the gigantic slave class in line with "advanced" technology (read: heavy stubbers and shock batons, which are better than the slaves' pointy sticks). The nobles deliberately underfeed and undershelter the slaves so that only the strongest survive. This IS a Khorne planet, after all. Lots of gladiatorial combat and bloodsports. It'd be easy to get a giant pile of slaves by doing a favor or two for the Barons of Mekonta, but whoever they give us will probably be suffering from severe malnutrition and will be roughly as intelligent as those Kursian mutants we already picked up.

Zanok is an anarcho-libertarian paradise where there is no central government whatsoever and everyone is free to live their lives as they see fit! Naturally, this means that everyone is constantly trying to kill everyone else to take their stuff, so nobody is free. The closest thing to governance is the various gangs who constantly fight for control of the city. We might be able to recruit from the gangs, but we'd probably run into problems with inter-gang violence if we recruited from multiple groups, and they're not slaves so they'd be much more likely to take issue with us actively treating them as cannon fodder.

We could also recruit from the driller clans, who have vehicles and actual combat experience, but the driller barons would be loath to give up anyone considering that they spend most of their time in a mutant-filled desert. Of course, some of the crewmembers may be eager to get the hell out of the worst job on a terrible planet, so we might be able to bypass the actual leadership entirely.

The best option would probably be to try to recruit from all three: Mekonta for a horde that can be given swords and pointed in the right direction, Zanok for more competent line troops, and the Drillers for a few actual skilled warriors like Chem-Hunters who can act as our lieutenants.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Operation: Build a Personal Army on Messia

Anointed: ??? (My vote would be Fabricus Bile (Epicurius) since building armies out of the populace is kinda the whole Dark Apostle thing)

Dedication: ??? (I advise Khorne, since we're trying to build an army, and in particular an army that we're probably going to use to seize part of the mostly Slaaneshi Ragged Helix)

Primary Objective:

-Obtain and train an army of Messians large enough to make us a relevant force.

Secondary Objectives:

1. Make contact with leadership figures in Mekonta, Zanok, and/or the Driller Clans. Come to agreements with them in return for the personnel who will become our army.

2. Complete whatever task(s) are requested by Mekonta. (If applicable)

3. Complete whatever task(s) are requested by Zanok.(If applicable)

4. Complete whatever task(s) are requested by the Drillers. (If applicable)

5. Investigate alternative means of recruitment (especially if any of these groups double-cross us or refuse to come to an agreement)

--5a. Mekonta: Assassination and replacement of a baron, supporting a slave uprising, etc.

--5b. Zanok: Take control of a gang or gangs by force or guile, etc.

--5c. Drillers: Seize control of a drilling rig, directly recruit dissatisfied crew, etc.

6. Train the resulting rabble into an effective fighting force.

Tertiary/Personal Objectives

???

Complications

:iiam:

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 28, 2018

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
You did a great job on that dachshund. I assume the plan was to make this an operation strength. I also thought objective 5 was redundant, and worked it into as being alternatives for your recruitment, so either work with the factions or destroy/destabilize/whatever.

So everyone vote on the Anointed, give some sort of idea of what resources you can muster for the campaign, let me know if there are any secondary objectives you'd prefer, and try to come up with tertiary and personal objectives.

Operation: Build a Personal Army on Messia (6 infamy on completion

Anointed: Fabricus Bile (Epicurius)

Mustered resources:
Akheem:He is both a seasoned combatant and and expert at acquiring common implements of war, by hook or by crook. Akheem offers to help train the rabble in war, and to take care of logistics at whatever camp/fortress the group establishes.

Cravvo Modify the troops through augmentics.

Dedication: Khorne

Primary Objective:

-Obtain and train an army of Messians large enough to make us a relevant force.

Secondary Objectives (each worth 2 infamy):

1. Make contact with leadership figures in Mekonta, Zanok, and/or the Driller Clans. Come to agreements with them in return for the personnel who will become our army.

2. Complete whatever task(s) are requested by Mekonta. (If applicable)
--Mekonta: Assassination and replacement of a baron, supporting a slave uprising, etc.

3. Complete whatever task(s) are requested by Zanok.(If applicable)
--Zanok: Take control of a gang or gangs by force or guile, etc.

4. Complete whatever task(s) are requested by the Drillers. (If applicable)
--Drillers: Seize control of a drilling rig, directly recruit dissatisfied crew, etc.

5. Establish a base of operations on Messia and secure it.

6. Train the resulting rabble into an effective fighting force.

7. Demonstrate the force's effectiveness in a suitable and grand battle on Messia.

Tertiary Objectives( each worth 1d5 infamy):

Train and equip an elite force from the rabble.

Capture drilling rig, look into modifications.

Personal Objectives(each worth 1d5 infamy):
Akheem: Land the killing blow on an elite or master ranked enemy with a tearing weapon to the head (either random or called shot) so as to get a critical result that causes decapitation. (rending result of 9 or 10 to the head).

Fabricus: dedicate a shrine to each god on world.

Cravvo: study and replicate the famous Messia Chem hunter combat drugs.

Gorvald: infect one of the cities.

Tummashah:start a sorcerer cabal on world.

Dolar cause five fear effects.

Complications

Werix fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 17, 2018

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay. So I'm an uncle now. I'm either going to head to my sister's either Monday or Tuesday. Given that, I'm going to delay the game until the following Monday.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Werix posted:

Okay. So I'm an uncle now. I'm either going to head to my sister's either Monday or Tuesday. Given that, I'm going to delay the game until the following Monday.

Happy uncleness!

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Goongratulations!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Always prioritize Real Life. Congrats werix.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Sorry guys, gonna eat crow. I've done no prep work for tonight. I thought I'd have time this weekend, but I was wrong.

We can push it to next week again, and I promise I'll get prep work done. I'll assume you're all going to start in Mekonta for my own sake.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Sounds good to me.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I can wait another week.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Another week gives me the chance to figure out my personal objectives, so that's always good.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Which reminds me, what the hell is a sorcerer going to do on khorneworld? I mean, besides incinerate people.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

wiegieman posted:

Which reminds me, what the hell is a sorcerer going to do on khorneworld? I mean, besides incinerate people.

Incinerate people is a good strategy in general.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Epicurius posted:

Another week gives me the chance to figure out my personal objectives, so that's always good.

good. If everyone can get me their personal objectives before next week I can start working them into my prep.

Also, if no one else voices objections or alternatives, I'm going to assume dachshunds original suggestion for dedication and anointed are acceptable.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Werix posted:

good. If everyone can get me their personal objectives before next week I can start working them into my prep.

Also, if no one else voices objections or alternatives, I'm going to assume dachshunds original suggestion for dedication and anointed are acceptable.

While I had already sent this privately, in terms of personal objectives, I was thinking about successfully performing a ritual to each of the chaos gods.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Oh, right, personal objectives. Whether or not I can do this largely depends on whether not I can actually find or create a suitable disease, but I'd like to start a serious plague in one of the cities. Probably whichever one pisses me off more.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Are there going to be enough magicians around for me to start assembling a sorverous cabal? If my plan is to go deep into rituals and stuff, I figure I should recruit some help, but that's probably not going to happen on a khornate planet.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay folks, we are definately going to be on at 7ish central time tonight. I've got some rough outlining done, and I am assuming you're going to stop at Mekonta first and poke around there.

Epicurius posted:

While I had already sent this privately, in terms of personal objectives, I was thinking about successfully performing a ritual to each of the chaos gods.

So, are you talking about performing a ritual from the books for each god? Or instead use your special ability to make a shrine dedicated to each one? Either is fine and appropriate, just make sure its clear.

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Oh, right, personal objectives. Whether or not I can do this largely depends on whether not I can actually find or create a suitable disease, but I'd like to start a serious plague in one of the cities. Probably whichever one pisses me off more.

Yeah this is doable, just make sure that you get your troops from that city first. The planet is known for its mutants, which could also be studied and their mutation weaponized...

wiegieman posted:

Are there going to be enough magicians around for me to start assembling a sorverous cabal? If my plan is to go deep into rituals and stuff, I figure I should recruit some help, but that's probably not going to happen on a khornate planet.

Just because the planet is in the Khorne book does not mean it is a Khorne planet, i.e. run by cults of Khorne. That said, any backwater world is going to be a tough place to try and locate and scrape together any psykers of number or skill.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Werix posted:

So, are you talking about performing a ritual from the books for each god? Or instead use your special ability to make a shrine dedicated to each one? Either is fine and appropriate, just make sure its clear..

A shrine dedicated to each one.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
My goal is to better-equip our ship's crew, particularly with cybernetics. I'd eventually like to turn a bunch of them into murder servitors, but it's a process.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

With our crew, they'll probably be lining up for claw hands and stimm pumps, no brainjacking required.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Dachshund and/or Jag could look at "improving" on the chem Hunter formulas.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I will try to have rumors spread about me, whispered in shadows to keep them in line even when we are gone. I want to use my new form to unleash the Night Haunter upon this world, so that even after we are long dead these people will remain loyal to Lord Abaddon.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Can we work that into like, "cause fear effect X number of times" or "cause X enemies to suffer fear effects at once"?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Sure, that sounds good. Let's say 5 fear effects?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'm guessing were not on tonight? Or we are?

i don't know time is an illusion

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

wiegieman posted:

I'm guessing were not on tonight? Or we are?

i don't know time is an illusion

It'smy understanding that Werix is dealing with post GenCon stuff, and we've pushed it to next Monday.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yes, I just got home from gen con, and would rather relax then run the game tonight.

Pushed to next Monday.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So I was wrong. Due to how crazy my schedule has been, I totally forgot an appointment of mine got rescheduled to Monday evening.

Looking at my schedule the rest of the month it is likely going to be hard to fit it in in August, unless we go off Monday.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I can go off Mondays if necessary, but I'd need some heads up. Classes are starting again, so time might be a bit shorter on my end.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I can theoretically do any weekday except for Tuesday.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'm having to do less overtime lately so I'm good on any weekday (or weekend, but not unless I know in advance because I usually have my weekends committed.)

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, so we are just going to push it until next month. Tomorrow through the following Monday I am out of town on a vacation, and on my return I have a lot of work crunching to get done before Labor Day.

So since the first Monday in September is Labor day, let us schedule the next one tentatively for Monday September 10th at 7 p.m. CST.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Werix posted:

Yeah, so we are just going to push it until next month. Tomorrow through the following Monday I am out of town on a vacation, and on my return I have a lot of work crunching to get done before Labor Day.

So since the first Monday in September is Labor day, let us schedule the next one tentatively for Monday September 10th at 7 p.m. CST.

Reminder, game is still on for tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Depending on when I can pick my car up from the mechanics I may be a little late, but I will most likely be on time.